Gripper Calibrator Finished

macaz

I finished my gripper calibrator contraption here are some photos and the results:

T1=58Pounds T2=70LB T3=93LB T4=105LB T5=127LB T6=139LB T7=174LB T8=208LB T13=FORGET IT

COCS=44LB COC1=84LB COC1.5(SLIGHTLY FILED*)=98LB COC2=116LB COC2.5(MY GOAL GRIPPER)=146LB COC3=156

RB210=141LB RB240=143LB ATOMGRIPZ III=130LB ATOMGRIPZ VI=280LB

MM1=159LB RETRO BEAST SMOOTH STEEL HANDLE=160LB HG350=143

BBM=110LB BBGM(EXTENDED HANDLE)=155LB BBE(EXTENDED)=171LB BBSE(EXTEND)=206

gallery_19587_1261_133.jpg

gallery_19587_1261_934.jpg

gallery_19587_1261_11468.jpg

gallery_19587_1261_35172.jpg

Man Rich! You are on fire with grippers! Impressive-got my new Beefbuilders today. Able to close the Super advanced right away, so maybe not far off on the 1.5. Keep crushin!

Man Rich! You are on fire with grippers! Impressive-got my new Beefbuilders today. Able to close the Super advanced right away, so maybe not far off on the 1.5. Keep crushin!

Yes I am on fire with these grippers :yikes If your 1.5 and SA are both average then you are 13LB off. Keep in mind that you could have a hard 1.5 and may be more advanced than you think.

Hey Rich, I'm not as handy(pardon the pun) as you, but after seeing your contraption, I got industrious and made some modified pony clamps to work thumb strength -learned from Jedd Johnson's download, where I attached 2 small pieces of wood with one inch bolt to handles of clamp to be able to close it with more leverage. Works pretty well-will definitely help stabilize my thumb, a weak component for me so far. That's a serious garage/dungeon you got there.-lol

This morning I finished calibrating.

I calibrated the GNC series of grippers. They have steel handles that are slightly thinner than 3/4" and come in packs of three for $20.

They seem to be as hard as their markings indicate. For example a 200 is close to a COC#2. Here they are:

GNC50=30lb GNC100=66lb GNC150=91lb GNC200=124lb GNC250=155lb GNC300=169lb

I think they are a great buy. The whole set is $40

I also calibrated my HG300 today at 129lb (forgot it yesterday

Three more calibrated:

T9=199lb

T10=276lb

T11=321lb

I will try the T12 and T13 but I need some help from some strong friends as it is starting to get very harry with all this weight. I may get the T12 but the T13 will almost defiantly break my strap (if I have enough weight to begin with)

Three more calibrated:

T9=199lb

T10=276lb

T11=321lb

I will try the T12 and T13 but I need some help from some strong friends as it is starting to get very harry with all this weight. I may get the T12 but the T13 will almost defiantly break my strap (if I have enough weight to begin with)

One thing you can do is make a lever to lift the weight. I use a 4ft iron pipe with an eye hook in the middle. That connects to the weight stack with an open S hook. One side of the lever is attached to my squat rack so I can lift 200+ with one hand and easily take as much time as I want positioning the strap perfectly. Once the weight is hanging on the gripper, the S hook releases the pipe and it all comes away so no weight is added during the rating. It's also real handy to reattach and lift the stack if you need to turn the gripper so it's balancing properly, which I've found is sometimes necessary multiple times during a rating.

Thanks for the advice Cannon. I made a new loading apparatus. It is a steel pipe with three I hooks. Two spread out for the strap that goes on the gripper. I got a stronger strap that is rated at 1500lb @1" with!. There is an I hook in the middle of the bar to hook on the weight stack. On Friday I have a friend coming over to help hoist the pile. Ill be real tense loading up the T13! But in the name of gripping I will risk my life. :tongue

If it's the same T13 I have with the half inch spring...DON'T DO IT! I think it an accident waiting to happen. The spring would probably break long before the handles touch. If you do try it though just be careful and video it:)

I'm surprised by the hg results. I haven't calibrated any of mine, but my hg250 seems only slightly easier than my coc2.5. whereas your hg350 is about the same as your coc2.5

I'm surprised by the hg results. I haven't calibrated any of mine, but my hg250 seems only slightly easier than my coc2.5. whereas your hg350 is about the same as your coc2.5

The HG grippers are really easy to close. I can close the 300 no problem. They seem to be way easier then they advertise. My 200 is easier than my 150 so go figure. I didnt calibrate my 150 or 200 because I filed them down a crazy amount.

My 2.5 is almost as hard as a #3. I just got a really hard one. I have closed a "hard 2.5" that was 132 but mine is too hard for me right now

BTW my HGs were bought under the name Gladiator grips. I can tell they are exactly the same things with the same markings. I suspect they are sold as Bone crushers too. I even have the 400 with the 1" steel handle and gold spring.

If it's the same T13 I have with the half inch spring...DON'T DO IT! I think it an accident waiting to happen. The spring would probably break long before the handles touch. If you do try it though just be careful and video it:)

I have the same thing as you with the .5" spring. I am most worried about the aluminum handles bending or breaking. But I suppose the strap would break 1st. Or maybe my calibrator thing will go... Or my back.

Ill be careful... I don’t want to win the Darwin awards. I will video this I think.

I tried to calibrate my T12 today. I used a car jack to get up the bulk of the weight then added all I had. Total 646+++lbs The T12 came to within an inch of being closed at that weight. I loaded up the T13 too. The T13 was not really close to being closed, maybe moved an inch.. I am glad nothing bad happened. My bench was creaking like an old ship (it is very well built). I will not try to calibrate these two grippers again.

gallery_19587_1261_27247.jpg

Thats insane, what's the purpose of selling those T12 and T13's? They're just paperweights! At least with the COC #4, even if most people cant close it, you can use it for negative reps.

Thats insane, what's the purpose of selling those T12 and T13's? They're just paperweights! At least with the COC #4, even if most people cant close it, you can use it for negative reps.

They are a great wall mount piece. I would love to see what a gorilla could do to them. I think the purpose of selling them is because Warren knows there are fools like me out there. :rolleyes

More calibrations:

Atomgripz 1band=58.3lb

Atomgripz 2band=82.5lb

FBBC X=86.3lb

FBBC XX=90.3

This photo is of the T13 with over 600 pounds on it. :whacked

gallery_19587_1261_47090.jpg

Here is a video of the attempt to close a T13. Listen to the creaking.

:blink

YES. NUTZ! Haha, that's just crazy. Thanks for the clip.

Gutsy!

That is hilarious. And insane. You're just the right amout of crazy I think.

Here is a video of the attempt to close a T13. Listen to the creaking.

That's just NUTZ!! I kept waiting for your bench to snap. How far would you estimate the handle moved with all the weight on it?

Id say it moved at most an inch. The spring coil is just so fat that it gets in the way of itself closing.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to calibrate the T12 one last time this morning. I bought more weight over the weeks and just decided to give it a go. I noticed that at a certain point of closing that the fat spring seemed to get in the way of closing. It seemed that adding heavy plates just had little to no effects. I had a ton of weight on it plus I was pushing down hard and it seemed like there was no hope of calibration. I gave up.

It seems all grippers close at a weight less than their official rating but the T12 and T13 seem to be higher then their rating. If they can be closed at all!

This time I mean it when I say I give up on the T12 and T13 :shifty

Cool stuff Rich!

HG's are all over the map. I didn't believe the stories of stronger ones till I tried them. There are 300's stronger than alot of 350's, and some 350's that are really strong.

One criticism in your setup- The top gripper handle seems to touch the guideposts in your setup. Could mess up the numbers.

Cool stuff Rich!

HG's are all over the map. I didn't believe the stories of stronger ones till I tried them. There are 300's stronger than alot of 350's, and some 350's that are really strong.

One criticism in your setup- The top gripper handle seems to touch the guideposts in your setup. Could mess up the numbers.

They do flop over sometimes but I correct them when actually calibrating. All results I have are with out the handles touching.

Probably a bad photo angle that makes it look as if it touching (or it might be touching during my photography). I was not very strict with my T12 and T13 because I tried to stay far away! :D

My T8 and T9 I checked twice because it seemed as if the numbers were switched. But they are not.