Coc Cert In 2011

Malice

Got the MM1 replica today. I oiled it up and put around a dozen or so squeezes on it both single handed and chest crush. Put it on the RGC and it measured at 164 lbs. all three times I measured it so happily this is another perfect level MM1 when I'm ready to move on from the #3 again.

If you can close that thing with any consistency, you're ready for the real thing. MM1 that is. No doubt. I was closing a 164# Elite as a PR just before my cert. The MM1 was lighter for sure.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Cannon

• Geralt

• IROC-Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the MM1 replica today. I oiled it up and put around a dozen or so squeezes on it both single handed and chest crush. Put it on the RGC and it measured at 164 lbs. all three times I measured it so happily this is another perfect level MM1 when I'm ready to move on from the #3 again.

If you can close that thing with any consistency, you're ready for the real thing. MM1 that is. No doubt. I was closing a 164# Elite as a PR just before my cert. The MM1 was lighter for sure.

I barely got it the couple times I tried it righty but was still a quarter inch or so lefty. I want to wait to cert (CoC and MM) until I'm confident I can do it with either hand so I still have a way to go. I'm still about a half inch from getting the #3 CCS lefty too.

I'm going to try lots of no-set closes to work toward the IM cert.

Plan is to use a RB300N righty, and a RB280N lefty. Also going to work in some TNS closes with a filed #2.5. Starting on Monday, will try to do grippers twice a week for the next couple of months and see if I can make any progress.

Got a brand new 2.5 of my own last night, opened and slammed it shut CCS, almost a 2nd time after. Therefore its time to kick the trainer out and just work with the 1, 2 and 2.5. After i can close it a few times more i will order a number 3. pretty pleased with my 2 and a half months of gripper training to get this far, although it will probably take another year or so to shut the 3 in the worst case but im in it for the long haul. How is everyone else fairing?

Good job brother, that's a great close!

I can CCS my 2.5 pretty easily so I decided to try a TNS a while after finishing my 5x5 workout with it last night and about crapped myself it hurt so much. I think next time I'll try this when my hands are fresh instead. I think I might be able to get it if my hands aren't already smoked.

I just posted this vid in it's own thread but since I mentioned it in my last post here I figured I'd post it here as well. I also got it lefty but being that I was in the crapper (where I do all gripper vids) I couldn't get the angle for the same vid since there wasn't enough room to stand on the other side of the camera. I've never really done any TNS work in the past but I rather enjoy it right now.

Maybe I should make my goal for #3 cert for when I can TNS my #3 since it has a brutal sweep. Something to think about.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress update for me is that training is going really well right now. I'm getting stronger almost every workout. Tested myself on a couple grippers last night and absolutely KILLED my BBSM and 155# BBGM in a way I rarely have before. That 155# GM is my "gripper litmus test." It's the gripper I use to see where I am for max strength. Closing it last night was cake. I felt as strong as I ever have before. Unfortunately I don't have a good gripper for a PR attempt or I would have taken one. I need something about 165ish, but the next gripper I have after that 155# GM is a #172# Elite. I think I own a 169# 3.5 but lukeamdman has that. But yeah, training is going really well. Good enough that I might be good for an MM2 attempt in the coming months :)

Robb, I've been using the Vulcan for my workouts too. I still cannot set this thing to save my life. Level 10 is almost impossible for me to set, but if I can manage a set then I can rep Level 10. I feel like I can't max out on this thing because I actually cannot set it. :whacked

Great job on the progress Matt!!

The Vulcan can be a real PITA to set and do CCS work with, especially with an unseasoned spring. Great for building sweep strength though.

Progress update for me is that training is going really well right now. I'm getting stronger almost every workout. Tested myself on a couple grippers last night and absolutely KILLED my BBSM and 155# BBGM in a way I rarely have before. That 155# GM is my "gripper litmus test." It's the gripper I use to see where I am for max strength. Closing it last night was cake. I felt as strong as I ever have before. Unfortunately I don't have a good gripper for a PR attempt or I would have taken one. I need something about 165ish, but the next gripper I have after that 155# GM is a #172# Elite. I think I own a 169# 3.5 but lukeamdman has that. But yeah, training is going really well. Good enough that I might be good for an MM2 attempt in the coming months :)

Robb, I've been using the Vulcan for my workouts too. I still cannot set this thing to save my life. Level 10 is almost impossible for me to set, but if I can manage a set then I can rep Level 10. I feel like I can't max out on this thing because I actually cannot set it. :whacked

There is quite an easy way to adjust your Vulcan so that it easily can be choked, by drilling a hole so you can put a pin through it. PM me if you want the details.

BTW, my progress is a bit off lately. Busy with work and some other things on my mind. Gets my focus a bit off....

Well, gripmachine is progressing, now concentrating on small gap closes with my Vulcan again.

CCS with my #3 is getting nearer and nearer, if not very near. But not closed. Well, in time it will come.

I feel that the more I practice the CCS, the easier it's starting to feel, but I'm also confident that this is because my heavy gripmachine training. Problem is whenever I tax my grip in one week, the next session is always crap as far as the final closing bit goes. Guess I need a lot of recovery....

Edited by Geralt

There is quite an easy way to adjust your Vulcan so that it easily can be choked, by drilling a hole so you can put a pin through it. PM me if you want the details.

I found a pretty good solution for when I just want to get the gripper in my hand for reps. There are exposed 2x6 studs in my unfinished basement, so I just chest crush the handles so the top opens and then I mash it on to one of the studs. This chokes the handles at a decent spot where I can get my hand on there. About a 1" spread maybe.

After a long grip layoff I'm hoping to cert on the 3.5 this year. Building an all around base for a few months with just a little bit of gripper work sprinkled in and will do more volume once my other stuff gets up to par. Looking forward to watching you guys progress. Good luck!

Back in January I got my car detailed before we took it to Disneyland and my MM1 replica was in the center console. One of the detail guys stole it and I remember venting to my wife about it. Well apparently I didn't tell her I bought a replacement. She gave me an early bday gift today since I've been training again. It was a new MM1 replica! I guess she got it a couple weeks ago and decided to surprise me with it today instead of waiting until my bday in June. My rgc is taken apart right now since I'm renovating the grip pit so I can't measure it but it feels barely easier than the one I've been using which meaxured 164.25 lbs. To guess I'd say the new one feels between 158-160ish. I don't think I'll tell the wife I already bought one so I'll probably sell one of them in the near future.

Back in January I got my car detailed before we took it to Disneyland and my MM1 replica was in the center console. One of the detail guys stole it and I remember venting to my wife about it. Well apparently I didn't tell her I bought a replacement. She gave me an early bday gift today since I've been training again. It was a new MM1 replica! I guess she got it a couple weeks ago and decided to surprise me with it today instead of waiting until my bday in June. My rgc is taken apart right now since I'm renovating the grip pit so I can't measure it but it feels barely easier than the one I've been using which meaxured 164.25 lbs. To guess I'd say the new one feels between 158-160ish. I don't think I'll tell the wife I already bought one so I'll probably sell one of them in the near future.

Sorry to hear you had that MM1 taken...I never think when I do car detailing n such :blush Nice to hear you have two MM1's...Your wife is the coolest :phone Now where to hide that second MM1 gripper :yikes

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I had a big PR. I closed my #3 four out of five tries lefty using a 20mm block set. The one miss was due to a crappy set and I know I would've closed it otherwise. I think my left is at it's strongest ever gripper wise.

Add me to the list. I recently picked up a #2.5 to help me on my way to the #3. My shaved #2 was too easy, and didn't seem to be helping my #3 progress at all. Here's my #2.5 close from earlier today. I'm optimistic for this year. -

Good luck to everyone!

Great closes! That #2.5 looks way too easy for you.

I should mention that I tweaked my training as of today to head down the home stretch. :ph34r:

It could still take me forever to get to the finish line, but I have my eye on the prize.

I should mention that I tweaked my training as of today to head down the home stretch. :ph34r:

It could still take me forever to get to the finish line, but I have my eye on the prize.

Git-R-Dun!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to increase the reps I can do with the 2.5, then hit strap holds, then file down the 2.5 on my way to the #3. I've got a filed BBSM that I bought off a gripboard member years ago, but it is HARD!

Funny story about the first time I closed a 2.5 - I was training a client at our gym. During a session, I'm running around getting this weight or that piece of equipment. Some CrossFitters had just finished a workout and were standing around talking, and one had a 2.5. "Hey Jim, can you close this gripper?", one asked me as I was rushing by. I stopped, grabbed the gripper, and slammed it shut. Cold. I was as shocked as anyone else!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to increase the reps I can do with the 2.5, then hit strap holds, then file down the 2.5 on my way to the #3. I've got a filed BBSM that I bought off a gripboard member years ago, but it is HARD!

Funny story about the first time I closed a 2.5 - I was training a client at our gym. During a session, I'm running around getting this weight or that piece of equipment. Some CrossFitters had just finished a workout and were standing around talking, and one had a 2.5. "Hey Jim, can you close this gripper?", one asked me as I was rushing by. I stopped, grabbed the gripper, and slammed it shut. Cold. I was as shocked as anyone else!

It's kinda funny how that happens. The first time I closed my BBSM was at the gym. I was leaving and started talking to a trainer about grippers and smashed the BBSM shut and held it for a few seconds. The real surprising part was not only it being the first time but my hands were already tired from doing heavy thick bar deadlifts a couple minutes before.