Coc Cert In 2011

Malice

I just got back to training grippers again a couple weeks ago so it's time for another CoC Cert thread. For those who remember last year I started the CoC3 Cert in 2010 thread and was pretty much ready and even going through the endless emailing back and forth process with Ironmind when I popped a tendon in my right hand as well as developing tendonitis in my left forearm. That pretty much ended my cert attempt for last year since it all happened at the end of the year.

Now I'm back and determined to get my name on the list and this thread will hopefully provide motivation to others who want to join me on the list this year. It doesn't matter if it's for 3,3.5 or 4. Any and everyone who wants to be part of this, jump right in with your training results, tips, questions, banter, etc. Let's get this done!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Cannon

• Geralt

• IROC-Z

Top Posters In This Topic

I started gripping again a couple weeks ago and decided to start slow and easy so I was just using the 2.5. I did a combination of MMS and CCS and was pretty easy with either hand. I was only doing 5 singles per workout instead of my normal 10 singles so I could get my hands accustomed to the work again. Last week I used the #3 and was getting it closed MMS righty with no problem and CCS righty with out too much trouble the first couple tries then gassed out pretty quickly. Lefty wasn't quite as good, getting MMS only a couple out of 5 tries.

This week I'll be using the 3 again and am thinking about choking the 3.5 again for tonight and working on the closing strength. I'll decide if I'm going to step it up to 10 squeezes or not when I see how my hands feel tonight.

On one hand it's a bit frustrating to be once again working toward goals I've already busted through but then again at least I know what worked great last time so it takes all the guess work out of it :rock

I started gripping again a couple weeks ago and decided to start slow and easy so I was just using the 2.5. I did a combination of MMS and CCS and was pretty easy with either hand. I was only doing 5 singles per workout instead of my normal 10 singles so I could get my hands accustomed to the work again. Last week I used the #3 and was getting it closed MMS righty with no problem and CCS righty with out too much trouble the first couple tries then gassed out pretty quickly. Lefty wasn't quite as good, getting MMS only a couple out of 5 tries.

This week I'll be using the 3 again and am thinking about choking the 3.5 again for tonight and working on the closing strength. I'll decide if I'm going to step it up to 10 squeezes or not when I see how my hands feel tonight.

On one hand it's a bit frustrating to be once again working toward goals I've already busted through but then again at least I know what worked great last time so it takes all the guess work out of it :rock

Awesome, man. It really sounds like you're still right there. Some focused work here and you should be good to go!

Thanks Matt! I'm anticipating you being part of this too brother :whistel

Yeah, I'll throw my hat in the ring. This is always one of my long term goals. Here is some recent progress:

I'm up to it as well. Currently just a few mm away from closing #3 from almost CCS distance (but using momentum). Can easily close #2.5 from my set, and have CCSed it a few times in the past. I plan of shutting #3 by the end of March and then working towards #3.5. I figure that by the time I'm almost closing #3.5, CCSing #3 won't be a problem. I only plan on practicing CCS a few month prior to certification, as I believe it's not the fastest way to get stronger. Good luck to everyone on here. Let's all get on that list this year and have a grip we can brag about!!!

I have another MM1 replica on the way from GSS since my other one got jacked. The last one measured at 162 lbs. so I'm hoping the new one is close to it. I was closing the old one pretty consistently before the injury and it was a good step up from the 3 before the 3.5.

I choked the 3.5 tonight. I tried 1/2" first and slammed it shut righty and barely got it lefty so I opened it to parallel and wasn't able to get it either hand. I did 10 singles and got it to about 3/32" righty and a little under 5/16" lefty. Hands held up pretty well to 10 singles so I'm happy about that. I'll rotate every other workout with the choked 3.5 and MMS with the 3.

Good luck, guys! Looking forward to watching y'all knock out the certs!

Thanks Sherrie!

Hey Malice-

How many times per week are you doing gripper workouts?

3-4 depending on how my hands feel.

Great guys, very motivational! Eh...can I jump on the wagon? Don´t now if I get the certification round this year, but my goal is certainly to CCS the #3 consistently this

year! Training info in my log! Hell, count me in I´m going for it!

I choked the 3.5 tonight. I tried 1/2" first and slammed it shut righty and barely got it lefty so I opened it to parallel and wasn't able to get it either hand. I did 10 singles and got it to about 3/32" righty and a little under 5/16" lefty. Hands held up pretty well to 10 singles so I'm happy about that. I'll rotate every other workout with the choked 3.5 and MMS with the 3.

I don't think I've ever choked a gripper down that far :blink

I find the tighter the choker, I have a hard time positioning the gripper in any real world way. What I mean is that you can basically put the palm side handle wherever you want and it's going to stay there. It's NOT like that if I have to set the gripper at all. So once I go to close the gripper in a choker, my fingers wrap in a totally different way. I try and position the gripper as best I can, but anyone else have this issue? Positioning the gripper normally when in a choker definitely limits my choker close. Am I missing the point of chokers?

Matt, I had a lot of good info from this link.

Teemu's link

I never choke narrower than 20mm, but that's just my idea. Russ clearly had good results, seeing that he was almost

ready to certify! But again, I found the link very informative.

Awesome. Glad to hear you are recovered, Malice.

I just tried it at 1/2" to see if I could get the handles to touch. If I couldn't then I would know I wasn't ready to do choker work with that gripper. I start choker work at 3/4" (basically parallel) and open it a quarter inch once I can close it.

Thanks Jedd!

I'm in. I really need to do something about my gripper strength, and I think this challenge just might be the cure.

Best wishes to all involved. Hope to see all of our names on the IM list in 2011. :rock

So far we have:

Malice

Cannon

StrongManJerryTate

Ottoemezzo

Geralt

IROC-Z

So far we have:

Malice

Cannon

StrongManJerryTate

Ottoemezzo

Geralt

IROC-Z

Is Russ the only one who is actually closing the #3 CCS? I'm probably off by 1/2" or 1/4" at best. I'm much closer with just a slightly deeper set, like 2", and inside that it's closed or a near miss.

So far we have:

Malice

Cannon

StrongManJerryTate

Ottoemezzo

Geralt

IROC-Z

Is Russ the only one who is actually closing the #3 CCS? I'm probably off by 1/2" or 1/4" at best. I'm much closer with just a slightly deeper set, like 2", and inside that it's closed or a near miss.

I havent even picked up a #3 yet.

I did a heavy session tonight. I closed the #2.5 tonight ccs but it was very very weak so i want to get it good before i can say i can close it for sure. I think 9 months is plenty of time to get that 3 shut with confidence.

Did grippers tonight including some Vulcan work.

Then i did some thumbscrew closes with the # 1 followed by some fingertip plate lifts, wrist roller, twist yo wrist and finished it off with some powerball. Overall, very productive and i hope to get that 2.5 nice and good next session.

How do you like the powerball? What does it do for you? I've never used one.

So far we have:

Malice

Cannon

StrongManJerryTate

Ottoemezzo

Geralt

IROC-Z

I can MMS my #3 (hence the membertitle haha) and after that I started further training with my Vulcan. Closed that one from choker on level 15 last training, according to the ranking that's one level above #3. (There´s two levels 15/16 on the Vulcan that are between #3 and #3.5 app.)

When I close choked level 16 for a single and can close level 15 consistently from choker (30mm set / 1,18 inch)I´ll try and see what CCS does on my IM#3. I´m just afraid that if I try it now

and I miss by a huge gap, it´s not good for my motivation. I´ve decided to train through March and try my first real effort CCS in april. AFter that I want to throw my choked #3.5 in the training.

Got the MM1 replica today. I oiled it up and put around a dozen or so squeezes on it both single handed and chest crush. Put it on the RGC and it measured at 164 lbs. all three times I measured it so happily this is another perfect level MM1 when I'm ready to move on from the #3 again.