North American Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

I will be there. I'll let you know about any others from the gym after this weekends comp. I hope to have 3 others qualify on Saturday.

Will there be a novice division at Nationals or just weight classes?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Mike Rinderle

• climber511

• jad

I'll be there.

and I still want to know the size of the wrist roller

I'll be there, either watching or competing depending on the Durniat Grip Competition this weekend.

Andrew Pantke

At this point it is a 3.5" Wrist Roller. I don't see how hand size affects this, as long as you don't have little girl hands. This event is more about Forearm SWOLL tolerance than gripping the wrist roller. It is a near full-body movement limited by the speed you can turn the roller.

At this point it is a 3.5" Wrist Roller. I don't see how hand size affects this, as long as you don't have little girl hands. This event is more about Forearm SWOLL tolerance than gripping the wrist roller. It is a near full-body movement limited by the speed you can turn the roller.

Sounds awesome. Is it the same set-up as this?

Do not be fooled by how easy Jedd makes it looks - that thing is hard. I thought my thumbs were going to break.

Yes, same design.

It hurts my thumbs too. Like I said, there's an endurance factor involved. I hit mine a few times before the contest so it helped me. Plus, I made it hard as hell. We did 45-lbs in the contest. I did 45 with a big rock on the front of it so the sled dug into the ground more. I also pulled up a more abrupt hill for a longer distance, so I was used to it.

I did 45 with a big rock on the front of it so the sled dug into the ground more. I also pulled up a more abrupt hill for a longer distance, so I was used to it.

That's all, Jedd? Thought you would've had John E stand on it. Haha

This wrist roller event seems like it was designed by a masochist. :devil I wish I could be there to compete.

I'm tagging in John Eaton when I do the wrist roller.

I did 45 with a big rock on the front of it so the sled dug into the ground more. I also pulled up a more abrupt hill for a longer distance, so I was used to it.

That's all, Jedd? Thought you would've had John E stand on it. Haha

It was too hot that day for John to walk down to the sled. He stayed up to the top of the hill and by hill, I mean .5% grade, 90-feet long. Is that dude still around? He never replies to my emails anymore.

I'm tagging in John Eaton when I do the wrist roller.

Is he coming to Nationals? I wouldn't know, he never replies to me, as above.

Jedd, is the plateau buster a 2" lift or lock out?

2" bro. I thought I posted somewhere that it would be V-bar rules, but if not, I apologize. Lift it higher than the marker and return it to the ground.

Jedd

Actually you did! I went back and re-read the events and it says that. Thanks Jedd!

Automatic 5 point deduction at Nationals for making me repeat myself brother.

I am working on the entry form right now.

There are a LOT of ways for people to qualify, as you will see on the entry form, but here is an updated list from the front page:

Qualification for Nationals takes place in USHS sanctioned contests only, announced on the Gripboard.

Qualification Chance 1:

* Athletes in the Open Class who Total Elite: Total of 800-lbs between Grippers, Axle, and Two Hand Pinch

* Finish in the top 3 out of 7 in your class (Novice, Open B, Open A) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

* Finish in the top position of your class (less than 7 competitors) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

Qualification Chance 2:

Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during the 2010 – 2011 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests. (Can occur during multiple contests)

* 1″ Vertical Bar – 325

* 2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200

* Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)

* Bending – Grade 8×6″ bolt, Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold

* IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325

* Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200

* One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250

* 50-lb Blob to Lockout

* Rolling Thunder – 180

* Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

* Sledge Hammer - 16-lb Lever (vertical, to head, to vertical)

Qualification Chance 3:

Complete any of the following Certifications during the 2010 – 2011 Grip season

* Certify for IronMind Captain of Crush (#3 or #3.5)

* Certify for IronMind Red Nail Roster

* Certify as Gripboard Mash Monster (or move up the Ladder)

Qualification Chance 4:

Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats during the 2010 – 2011 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests.

* Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)

* Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch

* Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)

* Break US Record in 2-inch Vertical Bar (FBBC Standard)

* Break US Record in the Axle Deadlift

Qualification Chance 5:

* Win in one of the Wild Card Weeks of the Weekly Diesel Grip Strength Challenge at DieselCrew.com. The following tests of Grip Strength will be used:

- w/o June 6 – Two Hands Pinch

- w/o June 13 – Grippers

- w/o June 20 – Medley Style Test (yet undecided)

- w/o June 27 – Plateau Buster Lift

This wrist roller event seems like it was designed by a masochist. :devil I wish I could be there to compete.

I am getting the wrist roller standards modified this week so that the bench will not be between your legs.

Automatic 5 point deduction at Nationals for making me repeat myself brother.

At the risk of getting another 5pt demerit, how do the classes work? There will be Novice, Open A, and Open B? What decides which class you fall in?

Novice is less than a year of competition. All Open competes together this year. Elite is all one class (800-lb total b/t Grippers, 2HP & Axle).

Can you elect to go in the open class without having 1 year of contest experience?

Novice is less than a year of competition. All Open competes together this year. Elite is all one class (800-lb total b/t Grippers, 2HP & Axle).

Jedd - I'm 90% sure I'm not coming to Nationals, but I'm looking for some clarification. Would I have to compete in Novice since I have less than a year of competition?

Novice is there for newcomers to learn and develop. You can waive your ability to compete as a Novice and enter the Open class, but once you do so, you are Open until you graduate to Elite. No jumping back and forth.

I sent you an email - wondering if you got it?

Thanks.

Jedd