North American Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

The preliminary announcement for Nationals 2011 is up on my website: http://www.dieselcrew.com/north-american-grip-sport-national-championship-2011

I say preliminary, only because the events are not completely finalized. There is NO DOUBT that the contest will take place on July 16th.

Also, the location is being moved this year. That's right, I am moving my own contest to help the athletes get to the locale - Crooksville, Ohio, home of the Gripmas Carol. Thank you to Chris and Teresa Rice for allowing this. I am hoping for a much better turn-out this year, because there will be more airport access, more hotels, etc.

Any questions, feel free to post here or leave a comment on my website: http://www.dieselcrew.com/north-american-grip-sport-national-championship-2011

Jedd

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Mike Rinderle

• climber511

• jad

The preliminary announcement for Nationals 2011 is up on my website: http://www.dieselcrew.com/north-american-grip-sport-national-championship-2011

I say preliminary, only because the events are not completely finalized. There is NO DOUBT that the contest will take place on July 16th.

Also, the location is being moved this year. That's right, I am moving my own contest to help the athletes get to the locale - Crooksville, Ohio, home of the Gripmas Carol. Thank you to Chris and Teresa Rice for allowing this. I am hoping for a much better turn-out this year, because there will be more airport access, more hotels, etc.

Any questions, feel free to post here or leave a comment on my website: http://www.dieselcrew.com/north-american-grip-sport-national-championship-2011

Jedd

Excellent. I will be there.

My commute will sure be a lot better this year :)

I will be there. if this date is absolute I will be buying tickets this week.

I will be there. if this date is absolute I will be buying tickets this week.

Barring a death in the family or serious injury, there is nothing that will stop me.

And if one of those two things happen, then maybe we can find an alternate promoter.

Jedd

Jedd,

So even if we do not qualify can we still attend?? I would love to see some amazing feats of strength executed by the best!

Certainly.

I am considering a qualifier at the end of March, by the way. Need to get some details worked out.

For those of you flying in - you want to fly into Columbus, Ohio. That will put you about an hour and 20 minutes from my house. There are numerous motels between the airport and I along Interstate 70. I can post better directions and information as needed.

Akron/Canton airport is another to check. It is 30 minutes from me and I can host 2 people (friday and saturday nights) coming for the comp. We'll drive down (2 hours) saturday morning.

First come first serve.

Edited by ADurniat

Jedd,

So even if we do not qualify can we still attend?? I would love to see some amazing feats of strength executed by the best!

I was thinking the same thing man.

I am kinda bummed. I was pumped, then I found out I probably won't qualify. Do the individual legs of Horne's contest count?

Yes, of course the individual legs of Horne's contest qualify, but it is based on the overall standings from each leg. And, I added Horne's events into the qualification standards.

Are you sure you don't qualify, Bob? There are like 20 individual ways to qualify for this contest (quoted below), aside from finishing in a top placing.

I did my best to include common lifts and feats for qualification. I see that I inadvertently left out 16-lb hammer lever on the dieselcrew.com post, but I did add it in down below.

Remember that the qualifications based on placings are per class - Novice, Open B, Open A, Elite.

If you want to shoot for 200-lb Pinch on the Euro, you could always add that classic event to your contest, then I can even think of another competitor who will attend the Three Rivers Classic.

Qualification Chance 1:

* Athletes in the Open Class who Total Elite: Total of 800-lbs between Grippers, Axle, and Two Hand Pinch

* Finish in the top 3 out of 7 in your class (Novice, Open B, Open A) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

* Finish in the top position of your class (less than 7 competitors) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

Qualification Chance 2:

Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during the 2010 – 2011 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests. (Can occur during multiple contests)

* 1″ Vertical Bar – 325

* 2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200

* Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)

* Bending – Grade 8×6″ bolt, Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold

* IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325

* Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200

* One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250

* 50-lb Blob to Lockout

* Rolling Thunder – 180

* Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

* Sledge Hammer - 16-lb Lever (vertical, to head, to vertical)

Qualification Chance 3:

Complete any of the following Certifications during the 2010 – 2011 Grip season

* Certify for IronMind Captain of Crush (#3 or #3.5)

* Certify for IronMind Red Nail Roster

* Certify as Gripboard Mash Monster

Qualification Chance 4:

Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats during the 2010 – 2011 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests.

* Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)

* Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch

* Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)

* Break US Record in 2-inch Vertical Bar (FBBC Standard)

* Break US Record in the Axle Deadlift

I didn't read the division standards carefully, my bad. Thanks for reminding me.

Hahahahaah, I can't add the Euro pinch now. I would love to, but with contest length I want to run with what I've got. I know what you are getting at, and I have decided that next year I will have the euro pinch to entice that specific extra competitor :)

Misread, I am an ahole. I am getting ready to be there. I didn't see the wrist developer. Looked for it, guess I was an idiot. I qualify with grippers, wrist developer, and 2" vbar unless I lose both arms.

See you there Jedd! I have been looking forward to the National Champs for a while.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I am going to Nationals!

I can't get vacation for that week, but I think I can beg to get the time off.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I am going to Nationals!

I can't get vacation for that week, but I think I can beg to get the time off.

Excellent.

Does Chance 3 need to be MM1 or higher?

Also, if I did MM1 last year, does that mean I qualify for Nats this year?

The MM status has to be achieved during the current season. The season began the day after Nationals last year. Without looking, I believe it was like September 16th.

I would allow someone who accomplished MM2 and up as well. I want to get more people to try out the sport.

So, here is our list of people who are saying they are coming:

Confirmed:

Jedd Johnson

Andrew Durniat

Brent Barbe

Chris Rice

Adam Glass

Ross Love

Bob Lipinski

Possible:

Matt Cannon

Tim Struse

Coming to Watch (a.k.a. better get their asses qualified to lift):

Matt Hunt

FrankD

I'm going to try to make it out for this. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

The MM status has to be achieved during the current season. The season began the day after Nationals last year. Without looking, I believe it was like September 16th.

Sweet. Looks like it was September 4th.

I hadn't even considered that I qualified for this so now I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to come!

Really Jedd?? Sounds good bro! I want to get MM1 so Should I get in contact with you and figure out when I can attempt it??

I just asked my wife and I am good!

Jedd or anyone else, I would not mind judging some type of qualifying event after my contest if it is allowed. If someone wants to qualify, I would love to help.

Really Jedd?? Sounds good bro! I want to get MM1 so Should I get in contact with you and figure out when I can attempt it??

No you need to sign-up in the Mash Monster forum bro.

I just asked my wife and I am good!

Jedd or anyone else, I would not mind judging some type of qualifying event after my contest if it is allowed. If someone wants to qualify, I would love to help.

Lifts have to be done in a normal contest setting. The only exception is the MM certification or the IM COC certification.