North American Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

the big issue I've always heard with hercules hold is equipment. and settig up properly. never done it myself so I can't really say. I would love to do it though.

one of the things that's been seeing some daylight lately is the hang type event. I know that glass has it in nov at his decathlon. I don't think I've ever heard of it being comtested otherwise. I would be interested to see how well it works out. I assume that on a 2" bar the time would be short enough to make it practical. maybe a smaller bar? revolving vs non revovling?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Mike Rinderle

• climber511

• jad

Bad shoulders would keep some of us out of the hang events, but it is a good idea.

Chris,

What is the spread on that gripper? What does the 2 and the E stand for (I assume GM means GrandMaster)?

Do you know what gripper Daniel finally closed (it's a 154.1lb)? I am also interested in knowing the spread of that one as well.

GM2 E 141.34

Chris,

What is the spread on that gripper? What does the 2 and the E stand for (I assume GM means GrandMaster)?

Do you know what gripper Daniel finally closed (it's a 154.1lb)? I am also interested in knowing the spread of that one as well.

GM2 E 141.34

GM2 E - The old Gripper Mania (GM) forum had a set of grippers used in their cert process and I ended up with this one somehow when it closed down. It is a BB Elite - the inside handle to handle is 2.45" or a Narrow spread. The 154.1# gripper was not mine - I'm not sure whose it was (or what) as we used several peoples grippers. All had been calibrated by me though - all grippers used at Nationals had been. We had over 40 grippers and very small jumps in between each.

Chris,

GM2 E 141.34

It was a CoC#3, average width. I've closed wider, ie the new batch #3s. I think it was Jedds. One thing I noted while trying to set it was how all the knurling was gone. :laugh That thing had been through some paces!

Chris,

GM2 E 141.34

It was a CoC#3, average width. I've closed wider, ie the new batch #3s. I think it was Jedds. One thing I noted while trying to set it was how all the knurling was gone. :laugh That thing had been through some paces!

I have pretty rough man hands bro.

By the way, after that incredible performance Saturday, I don't think there is any way Daniel Reinard is still a novice. I think winning that group the way he did has to put him in the open division. Heck, he would have placed just outside the top 3 open guys at Nationals in his first comp. Phenom!

By the way, after that incredible performance Saturday, I don't think there is any way Daniel Reinard is still a novice. I think winning that group the way he did has to put him in the open division. Heck, he would have placed just outside the top 3 open guys at Nationals in his first comp. Phenom!

i have a feeling that he wouldn't want to compete in novice again. Hes hungry!

Rico

I had an issue with the 2hp list since it was moved to the separate forum. Bill fixed it/ however, I have my notes at work. Adam, Tim, and Jedd moved up. Jedd did get the 120K lift that he wanted with his 3rd attempt. I'll update that tomorrow. congrats to all.

I have pretty rough man hands bro.

:laugh I feel sorry for that gripper. Those handles have been grinded a few times.

i have a feeling that he wouldn't want to compete in novice again. Hes hungry!

Rico

Grippers were only average and the 2HP numbers were at the bottom of the pack. I really need to bring those up. But yeah I got the bug now. Open class it is. I only went Novice since it was my first comp and I had no idea what was going to happen. I had zero experience on the PB, 2HP and wrist roller and expected this whole trip to just be a learning experience. You guys dropped a ton of knowledge on me.

Bwaha Well played sir!

it's actually not a strength issue with the trap bars. Long legged goofs like me have trouble fitting in some of them. The bigger ones are fine, but many of them don't fit over my legs pulling from the floor.

Mike here is a real big dude liftin a lot of weight on a trap bar. maybewe could get something like this then it wont be a prob for someone with your size.

the 2hp list has been adjusted to reflect ggc 2011.

glass, struse, johnson, and dale all moved up.

Jedd set a new world record and was the first man to hit 120k.

adam has entered the top ten list at #10.

the 2hp list has been adjusted to reflect ggc 2011.

glass, struse, johnson, and dale all moved up.

Jedd set a new world record and was the first man to hit 120k.

adam has entered the top ten list at #10.

Congrats guys!

also, I got a chemical burn on my inner thigh from sitting on some ammonia caps.

Good write-up Brent. You did a great job despite all the recent injuries and thanks for the recognition.

Jedd

Nice write-up Brent! Strong performance too man - especially considering your injuries! :mosher

Guys, just a reminder to send thank you notes to the sponsors.

Also, Spud Inc sent a package that got here late. I am going to write them about possibly using the prizes at Gripmas instead.

The contact info is: "Susan Finley" <Birtdaycake@aol.com> and they sent their signature Spud Straps, which are super thick canvas lifting straps - very high quality stuff.

Thanks and have a great day.

Jedd

• 3 months later...

Plateau Buster

Matt Cannon - 300 (Open)

Austin Acree - 380 (Novice)

Chris Rice - 400 (Open)

Brent Barbe - 450 (Open)

Malcolm Majesky - 450 (Novice)

Mike Rinderle - 450 (Open)

Nick Rosendaul - 450 (Open)

Daniel Reinard - 460 (Novice)

Josh Dale - 470 (Open)

Tim Struse - 470 (Open)

Adam Glass - 560 (Elite)

Andrew Durniat - 600 (Elite)

Interesting to review the Plateau Buster numbers now that I have pulled on it at the Fall Grip Decathlon. Hope to see it in more contests in the future. I won a $100 gift certificate to Stronger Grip so I may end up getting a Plateau Buster. If I do I'll put it in next year's KC Qualifier somewhere. I think I could've pulled 500lbs at least but I had no attempts left.

Plateau Buster Matt Cannon - 300 (Open) Austin Acree - 380 (Novice) Chris Rice - 400 (Open) Brent Barbe - 450 (Open) Malcolm Majesky - 450 (Novice) Mike Rinderle - 450 (Open) Nick Rosendaul - 450 (Open) Daniel Reinard - 460 (Novice) Josh Dale - 470 (Open) Tim Struse - 470 (Open) Adam Glass - 560 (Elite) Andrew Durniat - 600 (Elite)
Interesting to review the Plateau Buster numbers now that I have pulled on it at the Fall Grip Decathlon. Hope to see it in more contests in the future. I won a $100 gift certificate to Stronger Grip so I may end up getting a Plateau Buster. If I do I'll put it in next year's KC Qualifier somewhere. I think I could've pulled 500lbs at least but I had no attempts left.

Last place agrees with me in this event. :D

Plateau Buster Matt Cannon - 300 (Open) Austin Acree - 380 (Novice) Chris Rice - 400 (Open) Brent Barbe - 450 (Open) Malcolm Majesky - 450 (Novice) Mike Rinderle - 450 (Open) Nick Rosendaul - 450 (Open) Daniel Reinard - 460 (Novice) Josh Dale - 470 (Open) Tim Struse - 470 (Open) Adam Glass - 560 (Elite) Andrew Durniat - 600 (Elite)

Last place agrees with me in this event. :D

I know you were saving your back at the FGD on Saturday Matt! I understand that since I was going to just take my opener at 303lbs due to my back issues. I went for it though and am glad that I did.

Bwaha Well played sir!

it's actually not a strength issue with the trap bars. Long legged goofs like me have trouble fitting in some of them. The bigger ones are fine, but many of them don't fit over my legs pulling from the floor.

Mike here is a real big dude liftin a lot of weight on a trap bar. maybewe could get something like this then it wont be a prob for someone with your size.

I just recieved the trap bar yesterday that I bought on ebay from a fitness equipment manufacturer and supplier. It was $149 shipped, dual handled for 9" and 13" pulls, with a 750# capacity. The best part is it easily fits my lanky butt. I loaded it up right away after receiving it and pulled 225, 315 and 405 just fine. I recommend the CFF trap bar for anyone looking for one at a great shipped price if you can't get one off of craigslist. The only issue is in order to fit over 600# one will need 100# plates since there is limited pin space.

Next week I'll put it in a rack at my gym (not enough weight at home) which should get it close to 18" pull height and I'll see what the 500, 600 or maybe 700 feels like. 600 should be doable but 700 sounds like a retarded hard jump at the moment. But that's what the trap bar is for. :)

I used the trap bar at my gym. This event is a lot about blocking out pain. Its going to be brutal. I like it haha.

I used the trap bar at my gym. This event is a lot about blocking out pain. Its going to be brutal. I like it haha.

For sure. Grip wasn't at all an issue at 405 and I know with DO oly deads my grip is stronger than my back. :whacked I have a feeling if I can get the weight up the shoulders will be the limiter.