NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello Everyone!

My name is Brad. I live in Memphis, TN. I have been strength training consistently for the last eleven months. I have made great gains in strength. Now, I want to improve my grip strength to the level of my overall body strength. I am very interested in hand health and overall strength. I am looking forward to learning everything I can.

I have already represented myself. Thought I might tell about my progress since last time i posted. Now I can rep the CoC Trainer for 45 times, totally closed each time. And I can rep the No.1 for 12 times and No.2 for 3 times. I have a question. If and when I get MM certified, will I get a t-shirt where it says "Mash Monster Certified" or anything like that? Thanks for all answers.

Fredrik, 25 years old from Norway.

Edited by Databamse

Hello everyone! SO happy to be here! just started grip stuff and can almost close the 2 never training grip. Ill be posting regulary!

17 yrs old

1 year training

5'8 215

515 dead, 315 bench, 455 x 2 full squat

Peace!

Hello everyone.

Grip n00b here looking to improve my grip for martial arts (Brazilian Jujitsu) and because being able to crush and bend stuff with your hands is sweeeet.

Hey Guys,

I've been interested in strength training for some time, 45 years old now, former wrestler, boxer and powerlifter specializing in the bench. Competed drug free in the 198 lb class with a bench of 420 pounds.

I haven't lifted in a few years, traveling for business gets in the way. Will get back into it though. I am focused on my grip training to be able to close the #3's by May, 2007.

I am able to fully close the #2 COC 12 reps consecutively, and on the new 2.5 COC I can manage 1 rep. They are pretty tough. I have a pair of #3 COC and they feel nearly the same, wow.

Does anyone have any idea how many full reps it will take on the 2.5's to be able to close the #3's?

Thanks,

Hey Guys,

I've been interested in strength training for some time, 45 years old now, former wrestler, boxer and powerlifter specializing in the bench. Competed drug free in the 198 lb class with a bench of 420 pounds.

I haven't lifted in a few years, traveling for business gets in the way. Will get back into it though. I am focused on my grip training to be able to close the #3's by May, 2007.

I am able to fully close the #2 COC 12 reps consecutively, and on the new 2.5 COC I can manage 1 rep. They are pretty tough. I have a pair of #3 COC and they feel nearly the same, wow.

Does anyone have any idea how many full reps it will take on the 2.5's to be able to close the #3's?

Thanks,

If you have managed to close the 2.5, you shouldnt be far away. Just be patient. Another month of grip training and you can possibly close it!?! Who knows? Good luck.

Hello my name is Charles.

I am 30 years old, 5' 11" and weight about 245.

I have had CoC #1, 2 and 3 grippers since maybe 1996? I got them while I was in college and could close the #1 for reps right off the bat. For some reason I never really developed a real gripping program and just sort of set them aside doing a few reps on my #1 every now and again.

Cut to couple months ago... I started really working on my grip with a serious mind to train it and steadily improve. This just so happens to be when Iron Mind started offering the half step grippers so I ordered a 1.5 and a new #2. I have been working out with the 1.5 for a couple weeks now and just last week finally closed my (new) #2.

My immediate goal is to really master the #2 and then to work up to certification on the #3.

I work a manual labor job on third shift and have been doing sets of ten through out the night while at work with my 1.5 usually getting at least 100 reps in over the course of 8 hours.

I started training with Kettlebells a few months ago as well and borrowed my gripper set and rep format from Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell book.

I do "ladders" 1 rep left, then 1 rep right, then 2 left, 2 right, 3 left, 3 right and 4 left, 4 right for a total of 10 reps a set with my new CoC 1.5. This has been working for me pretty well, like I said got my #2 closed finally.

Now I think I am going to start the KTA program this week and really master my #2.

To get ready I filled down my old #1 to be a BtR gripper and rigged a great strap hold strap out of a $2 dog collar. (I got a large size nylon webbing one and broke all the plastic hardware off leaving just a metal ring on one end for running the strap back through and cut the other end to a comfortable length and melted it so it won't fray)

Anyway that's me, and my current gripping goals. Nice to find this place.

Charles

Edited by The Bone Orchard

How do,

I'm Anthony, 6'4 a measly 312.5lb (a weak 300lber to boot) successfully closed the #2 gripper a few months past. Now working my way up to the #3's.

Currently training for weight loss, prepping for my wedding in July and in the hopes my soon to be wife gets motivated and joins me in this pursuit to get healthier overall.

I train in the western martial arts (Armizare) with a group out of Guelph, Ontario. Canada.. www.aemma.org where grappling and a strong grip can win you the day.

My only real goals right now are closing the #3 and certing on it before my marriage, the marriage itself and loss of 30 - 40lbs.

Wish me luck on my journey to #3 cert

I have already represented myself. Thought I might tell about my progress since last time i posted. Now I can rep the CoC Trainer for 45 times, totally closed each time. And I can rep the No.1 for 12 times and No.2 for 3 times. I have a question. If and when I get MM certified, will I get a t-shirt where it says "Mash Monster Certified" or anything like that? Thanks for all answers.

Fredrik, 25 years old from Norway.

Sorry buddy, no MM t-shirt. You should get a cyberpump t-shirt though

Hello,

My name is Josh. I am 34 years old and new to the gripping world. I bought the CoC trainer, #1, and #2 last week to measure where I am in regards to my hand strength. I closed the trainer and the #1 fairly easily, but failed on all of my attempts at the #2.

Currently I can bench press 385 pounds, squat 510, and deadlift 450.

My goals for the coming year are:

Close #2 and #3.

Get 400 on the bench.

Continue to learn.

Thank you for the opportunity to learn from you all.

Hello all,

My name is Aaron Lehmer, 28, out of Des Moines Iowa. I saw the link to this site through Beastskills.net and thought that it looked awfully cool.

I am a fledgling Martial Artist who has so far spent more time rehabbing and working out than actually practicing due to a bad knee injury about a year ago. The Orthopod mis-diagnosed it as "just soft-tissue damage, don't worry about getting an MRI." After twisting/spraining my knee about 4 times this year trying to get back into MA, I went in and demanded an MRI to see what the heck was going on. Turns out I have been training hard and trying to practice on a torn ACL and some cartilage damage. I fired doctor #1 and now am going in for ACL surgery on January 17th.

I workout about twice a day on average, and take most of what I do from the EXCELLENT Ross Training site and his books. These are exceptionally intense, and I couldn't be more pleased with my progress in every other area of my training.

My MA of choice (not a ton of choice in Des Moines) is Eagle Claw Kung-Fu. The people I want to work with really do spar and try to develop real-world useful skills, and as you can imagine this style requires a lot of grip strength to do effectively. Lots of grappling, with the signature moves being muscle/connective tissue tearing (IE, grabbing a pectoral/bicep/etc and tearing it up with your hands). To this end, and especially because I am going to be off my feet for a while after my Knee Reconstruction, I want to make a serious push on my hand strength.

Eventually, I would like to get into amatuer San Shou competition. Imagine Muay Thai, but with throws and takedowns. Essentially it's full contact Kung Fu. Here's a link.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here!

Edited by Carrera26

Hey guys, have been lurking for @ year, great info, great forum.

Live in Sydney, enjoy training in MMA/NHB & RBSD etc do combat condtioning type workouts, looking at improving my overall grip strength.

Work out with the #T & #1 grippers,

Use homemade 2inch PVC pipe collers in my B.B & D.B lifts, levers & wristroller.

ATB for 2007

Cheers Nick

Hi, my name's Duncan Williams, I'm from Gloucester, England.

I train at Steve (Mobsterone) Gardener and Mike (Cougarman) Betty's Whey Consortium HQ with Steve, Mike, Greg and others.

I've been training Strongman for a year now and competed in 2 comps in the summer where i hurt my back and had 3 months out of training, but now i'm 2 weeks back in and wanna pursue my grip training more thoroughly and compete in this years British Iron Grip.

Hello my name's Tyler and I'm 6' and 175lbs. A couple of friends got me into armwrestling and grip a few months ago, we're even trying to start an armwrestling/strength club at our high school. We turned in all the paper work and are keeping our fingers crossed for the faculty's response. I've been an archer for 7 years now and I like to think of my grip and armwrestling as that "cross training" my archery coach always talks about. I can close a CoC No.1 no sweat, and have a race with a few friends to close the No.2. Don't tell them, but last I checked I've got about a 1/16" left on the No.2. :rock

Hello GripBoard!

MrViceGrips is a 6', 258lb man who recently began weight training. I'm still very weak, and have way too much fat on my belly after years of inactivity :erm . I've chosen a twice-a-week full body routine, sort of in line with the philosophy of Stuart McRobert (Beyond Brawn). Here is my first workout since I've started training:

12/7/2006
SQUAT 85 1x20
Parallel Dip 100 2x8-12 *100lb assistance from gravitron machine
DEADLIFT 95 2x8-12 *using platform, bringing down to just below knee
Dbell Press 25 2x6-8
Pulldown 100 2x8-12
Arm Curl 40 2x8-10
Calves 60 2x15

For a pretty large guy like me, that first workout was pretty easy (intentionally). Throughout the month of December, I switched some things around and consistently added weight to the big movements.. which brings me to my latest workout, today:

1/2/2007
SQUAT 145 1x20
BENCH 140 2x8-12
DEADLIFT 140 2x8-12
Dbell Press 30 2x8-12
Cable row 80 2x8-12 *going easy since Wii Sports injury LOL
Incl. Shrug 45 2x8-12
Pushdown 40 3x8-12 *added today for the first time
Arm Curl 60 2x8-12
Calves 100 2x15
Ab crunch - 4x25

Now that you have sort of an idea of where I'm coming from -> on to the GRIP part of all of this: My goal is to continue lifting WITHOUT gloves or straps for as long as I can, and to have above average forearm development. It seems like I'm getting a huge forearm workout as part of my normal routine - afterward my forearms are rock solid and don't want to do anything but rest. I'm guessing that my forearms aren't used to the beating I'm giving them during my workout? Will I reach a point where my forearms will catch up as weight increases slow down? Pretty soon I won't be able to add 10lb a week to my deadlift. I would love to be able to train forearms, but I don't want to train any more than the two full workouts a week. Should I wait until I have more muscle in general to start thinking about grip training?

Any thoughts?

I am slowly making my way through the forum and so far it is very informative and entertaining. Thanks!

Welcome Aboard Guys!!! :rock

hey im jon

i started seriously training grip a month or two ago after i finally got my mastery of grip strength book in the mail...mostly pinch gripping and wrist rollers so far.I just got CoC grippers and all i can say is wow! (haha i trained with those red "hulk hogan"grippers alot when i was little, but with no real routine).

I found this site searching for grip routines...so i will be avidly reading from now on.

Tonight I got from my sister some 2"and 2.5" black pipe and fittings from her warehouse to make thick handled dumbells. now i can do varied weight farmers walks in addition to the hex block weights i've been training with. I'm still getting used to the hex block weights because the heavier ones are huge for my small hands.

Hi, my name's Duncan Williams, I'm from Gloucester, England.

I train at Steve (Mobsterone) Gardener and Mike (Cougarman) Betty's Whey Consortium HQ with Steve, Mike, Greg and others.

I've been training Strongman for a year now and competed in 2 comps in the summer where i hurt my back and had 3 months out of training, but now i'm 2 weeks back in and wanna pursue my grip training more thoroughly and compete in this years British Iron Grip.

Dunkster is super keen and has already built up a few bits of kit in his collection. Pinch and grippers are coming along real well.

Hello My Grip 'Addict' Friends! :-)

My Name is Dave and I started doing grip work(casually) in Dec.05.

I am 45 years young 5/11 155lbs.

I started on the 'Trainer' of COC IronMind and now I can close #1 for a hold of 15seconds.

Now I am ready to Get Serious About Grip Work!!!

I always loved working out the forearms when I was younger and now that I'm going on 46, next Feb., I just started getting back into working out, mainly because of my thin frame.

I recently purchase the 'Helpers', Twist YO Wrist, and Wrist reEnforcer(boy do I love it!) and the book 'Captians of Crush Grippers' What they are and how to close them'.

I am now saving to buy the New Improved 'CLAW' 'Expand your hand bands' 'OuterLimitloops' 'Sultan's Squeeze Hubstyle Pinch or Block Buster Pinch Grip Block' and Go Really Grip Machine along with loading pins and carabiners all from IRONMIND.

Recently I been Fantasize'n about participating in Arm Wrestling by the time I'm 50years old. Maybe because when I was younger I was always beating out the big guys in Arm Wrestling. But like I said Fantasy, but you never know!! Atleast I can say that I Tried what I've always wanted to do!!!

Anyways I'm Happy to be a part of you, all here on the 'GripBoard' and I can't wait to 'TakeAdvantage' of all your 'HardEarned' Knowledge to help improve my strength!

Thanks in Advance!

Dave in Corona

Hello to everyone.

i'm some sort of beginner ina grip training, and so looking for interesting stuff on this forum.

My general goals about grip training are developing supporting grip strength and endurance, for example, to be able to snatch 32kg 100L/100R in a one continious set, and also develop a crushing grip to close Coc #3.

i'm 5'9'' and 170-180lbs...

thanks

Hiya

I'm new to grip training, apart from using some weak grippers maybe once a month, that is all the training I have been doing to date. I am looking to improve my grip for StrongWoman comps. and also for my job as a Door Supervisor (ie restraining).

I was brought the CoC #1 for Xmas, but could couldnt completely close them, so now have the CoC Trainer, I've started doing about 3 reps per hand, 3 sets (and thats an effort!).

Any advice for a beginner to grip training? thanks.

Alison

Hi. I'm Peter, been regularly weight training for 10 years, now 25 and *very* new to grip trianing. I have the Ivanko Super Gripper to arrive in the next week. Until now grip training, has for me, been neglected. However, I have been using plate pinches for about 3 months. Medium term, I hope to powerlift, so could use the extra grip on DL's, and would love a ridiculously strong handshake, hehe.

Hi.

My name is Mikael and I live in Sweden.

I just turned 40 three days ago. My motivation of training my grip is to be able to defend myself.

I've just begun (12 reps on the Coc Trainer is what I can do) grip training. The grippers is all the equipment I have.

A few years ago I made an attempt with the Trainer, but I could not close it fully, and I hurt myself really bad trying. I hurt some tendon so I could not close my index finger 100 % for at least a year. If I have a beginners question it would be why I got hurt in the first place. Was it because I did not warm up and tried singles on a gripper that was too heavy for me? Or was it because I did it several times a day every day? I've learned from this and always do 10 reps on the Coc Guide as a warm up before I use the Trainer.

I come to think of a second question. I'm not sure I have really got stronger. Can it simply be that my first Trainer was much heavier than my previous? Because I've not done any grip training at all in the time from I sold my first Trainer until I bought my second.

Anyhow, I expect to get great results, and I'm happy to be here!

Edited by Mikael

Hi.

My name is Mikael and I live in Sweden.

I just turned 40 three days ago. My motivation of training my grip is to be able to defend myself.

I've just begun (12 reps on the Coc Trainer is what I can do) grip training. The grippers is all the equipment I have.

A few years ago I made an attempt with the Trainer, but I could not close it fully, and I hurt myself really bad trying. I hurt some tendon so I could not close my index finger 100 % for at least a year. If I have a beginners question it would be why I got hurt in the first place. Was it because I did not warm up and tried singles on a gripper that was too heavy for me? Or was it because I did it several times a day every day? I've learned from this and always do 10 reps on the Coc Guide as a warm up before I use the Trainer.

I come to think of a second question. I'm not sure I have really got stronger. Can it simply be that my first Trainer was much heavier than my previous? Because I've not done any grip training at all in the time from I sold my first Trainer until I bought my second.

Anyhow, I expect to get great results, and I'm happy to be here!

Hi.

I also hurt my left hand middle finger, I think I had too many reps per day. It's getting better. I can now close my Captains of Crush no. 2 in my left hand, consistently. And I can rep my no. 2 14 times in my right hand. 3 and a half month ago I couldnt even close my no. 1.

Hang on and the strength will come. Grip strength can be used very well in defense, just grab his wrists and hold on tight to them and watch him try to roll out of your grip (he wont be able to when you can close the no. 2 or no. 3)