NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

i dont kno much about the equipment of gripping. and i still dont kno whether i should look into buying a peg2 or

a formulator, and i do not kno a reliable site to order from.

Edited by yankeefan

Geoff, 17 yrs old, 5' 11" 175 LB. Im a baseball player (middle infielder) looking to increase my velocity through improved pinch/ crush grip. I consistantly throw to improve my velocity but im thinking that maybe become a gripper might help as well. im planning on order COC trainer and COC # 1,2 within the next week or so and start training. As far as my forearm works goes, i usually add weight 2 bar and start curling the bar using my wrists including reverse. I also use a standard everlast gripper but i jus dont think i am getting enough out of it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...rowing+velocity

Throwing velocity is the sum of power created by the whole body. Hit the link above and view the information you can obtain for creation of throwing velocity. It goes far beyond what pinching and grippers will do, which I do not think will increase throwing velocity per say. However, gripping and wrist work will give you added benefits in handling your bat.

Increase your velocity by training the whole body to be explosive.

Hi everybody!

This is my first post on the gripboard. I am 47 with fairly long arms and average sized hands at 215 pounds body weight. I am somewhat new to the world of hand strength training. I became frustrated with a bench press stuck for three years at 325, so I began experimenting with pinch grips and Rolling Thunder pulls about a year ago, training them twice a week. It's nice to be making GAINS again!

I have so far managed the following PRs, which tops everybody at my gym except for a 320-pound dude with much larger hands. He has stayed just a bit ahead of me on the Rolling Thunder, although I can best him at pinch gripping. (I would not want to weigh 320, but I would love to have those huge mitts of his! He easily overlaps his thumb and index finger when he grips the Thunder handle and can pull 185.)

Anyway, my PRs so far:

1. pinched 4 10s for 65 seconds (right hand) and 54 seconds (left hand)

2. pinched 2 10s in each hand for 3:15 simultaneously.

3. pinched 2 25s for 52 seconds (right hand) and 44 seconds (left hand)

4. pinched 2 35s for five seconds (right hand) and 1.5 seconds (left hand)

5. pulled Rolling Thunder 175 pounds (right hand) and 165 pounds (left hand)

6. clamped a No. 1 COC shut for 40 seconds, but have not ordered a No. 2 yet.

My next goals are to pull 180 with the Thunder (which I believe I WIll get soon), pinch 5 dimes, pinch 3 25s, pinch 2 45s and close a No. 2. Which of these are not realistic?

My "newbie" questions are:

1. If I were to trim 10 pounds of body weight, but continue training hard, would that significantly affect my hand strength?

2. I am concerned that my average-sized hand is simply not big enough to pinch 5 dimes or three quarters. Any opinions on that? Can average genetics be overcome with diligent training?

3. How long realistically (ever?) should it take me to go from pinching 2 35s to pinching 2 45s. I cannot budge 2 45s at this point.

4. It seems like my hands feel "strong" only about every third or fourth workout. Is this normal? Some days I can pinch 2 25s for more than 40 seconds, but on other days I can only hold them for 20 or 25 seconds. For some reason, they feel very slippery about 2/3 of the time. What causes this variation?

5. I am 47. Is hand strength -- unlike bench pressing, etc., something you can continue to grow stronger at in your 40s and 50s, or will I be hitting a wall soon?

6. Am I concentrating too much on endurance with those pinches in excess of 30 seconds?

7. How do you build a stronger thumb for pinching?

8. My hands are too smooth. Is there a way to "grit" them up to get better traction on the pinch plates?

Any and all tips will be appreicated. Thaks in advance!

Big Brother.

Hello, My name is Trevor Thompson and i am brand slanking new to this forum. i love grip training and am basically addicted so far. i got into this all when i saw my friends getting into bodybuilding and strength building and i thought it was goofy, so i looked into the old time strongmen and thought wow this is amazing, Arthur Saxon and Herman Goerner so cool. i have been powerlifting & o-lifting since april. i am 18 and weigh 179lbs. i got my Captains of Crush #1 in the mail last week and tried to close it many times haha, but i could not get it closer than .5" of an inch. i closed it yesterday and have now closed it today with my left hand and am setting it at credit card before i close it. i would like to close the #3 before i turn 20. my birthday is jan 10. thanks for this forum it is fantastic.

Trevor Thompson

Hi everyone! My name's Endao. I am currently trying to increase my grip/hand strength to improve ability for skills like handstand and to enhance my performance in martial arts. I hope to see everyone soon in the forums!

Hello my name is Gary Williams. I am 27 years old 5' 7" tall & 195 lb with 6.75" hands and have been working out off and on for 5 years.My friend and co-worker John Eaton(j.c.eaton) introduced me to grippers. When I first tried John's grippers I could close his HG250. I closed his #2 a week later. I can currently close a IM #3 with a MM set right-handed and a HG300 left-handed. I am on the FBBC v-bar list with a lift of 231 lbs. I would like to get better in all aspects of grip and maybe compete someday.

hi everyone

im Gabe i live in cleveland ohio and there is nothing to do here...so i picked up grip training.

just kidding, cleveland is great for crappy sports teams and great underground music.

i do martial arts/kickboxing and just started lifting again. im working on grip training to help in fighting. especially against those ground fighters. im 27 yo 6'1 and about 220lb.

deadlift @ 420

squat @ 330

bench @ 220 :(

side bend @170 working up to body weight. makes kicking alot more poweful, i think

powerclean @ 220

closed the hg 200 this week x10 right hand x7 left

just started bending, i have questions.

looking to improve wrist power, pinch power, my benching(low priority-i finally learned to bench right...no more bodybuilding style) and can always use more endurance training.

Hello everyboby,

Hello My name is Matti Heiskanen.I have been lurking here about half year, but now i´d like to introduce myself.

I live in Finland, so called "thousand lakes country" and that`s true.

What i´m doing here. I´d like to collect good information about gripper and training.

i´m 38 years old.I have trained bodybuliding about 21 years, and training for Pullups competition.

I have won 2 national repetition pullups competition . My Personal best are : 60 pullups

and one hand pullups 10 times ( only one hand, not assistent pullups ) My body weight is 198 pound

I´have trained gripper about 10 months.

Some best from the gym:

- Benchpress 459 pound

- Deadlift 507 pound

- Squat 518 pound

Gripper´s PB:

- RB 210 5times

- RB 240 MM_set 1/24 inch

- Coc3 MM-set 1/8 inch

- Coc4 MM_ set 0.8 inch

- Coc2 50 times

Thats all

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome pullups!

Hi my name is Brandon, 172cm, 77kg, 25yo. Have been lifting weights off and on for 10 years. Ive always been interested in building strength. While looking up feats of strength i came across grip strength and an article on ripping phone books, gave it a go straight away and got it first time, from that moment ive been hooked. Been training now for a couple of weeks and trying to find as much info as possible. i think i may have finally found the site im looking for. Dont really have any personal bests yet other than ripping a 1360 page phone book and briefly closing the HG200 gripper, but its very early days. I have alot to learn and am looking forward to talking to others about their feats and training.

Howdy GripBoard! This is Brian checking in.

I learned of the board from the Dragon Door forum, which I discovered (too late!) after lurking m.f.w. for years. I love training with kettlebells (big surprise coming from DD, right?), and have recently discovered how completely righteous weighted pull-ups are. I really appreciate the old time strongman philosophy of eschewing machine based or "isolation" exercises. The bizarre movements and implements that DD encourage (i.e. Barbell Side Press or KB Turkish Get Up) are alien and frightening to a some (no-one on GripBoard!), but they resonate with me as being purely bada$$. Long story short, one day I'm on m.f.w. reading Krista's recommendation to pick up Power To The Peeps, and the next thing you know, I'm wondering what type of sandbag to buy. Weird.

I would like to start practicing a martial art in the fall, as I'm probably better suited for that type of thing than putting up giant totals in a PL meet. I'm 29 years old, of Asian-Pacific descent, and could probably stand to put on 10-12 lbs or so. The birth of my son a year and a half ago really provided the motivation I needed to finally 'put it all together' and really get serious about my training and my diet.

In the Grip Universe, I am pretty raw. I have a COC T and #1, and am very anxious to get started with a Bag O' Nails. It's slowly starting to dawn on me that grip strength is something that you can never have too much of, and that extending the time before your grip becomes the weak link in something like weighted chins, or high rep swings, will allow you to gain more benefit from these movements. So, if you wanna get good at gripping, hang out with the Grip Junkies...

Sorry for the length of this, I didn't know I was going to ramble on like that!

-bjl

Hello GripBoard

I'm Tomas, a 24 year old guy from Sweden, and I'm addicted to grippers :)

I've been lurking on this board for about two months, so I thought I might aswell introduce myself.

First up, some more or less interesting facts

Born 1981

Height 184 cm (6' 0.5")

Weight 67 kg (148 lbs)

Handsize 19.0 cm (7.5")

Gripper records

HG250 TNS, right hand

HG250 MMS, left hand

HG250 MMS with three fingers, right hand

My gripping history

The gripping bug bit me when I found a "tough" sport stores gripper at home, one I outgrew pretty quick. I was climbing (indoors) at the time and wanted to improve my grip even more, so I wanted one with more resistance. I never found tougher grippers in any store, until I one day (in october 2004) had my ways around a store who happened to sell HG grippers.

I nearly closed the HG200, so I bought the HG250, which I was about 25 mm (1") from closing. I got it down to about 6 mm (0.25") pretty quick, but never got it down to less than that in the first half year, and eventually lost my gripper interest.

About a year later (april 2006), I decided to resume my gripper training, but now being more serious than last time. After all, I thought it was kinda embarassing to own a gripper I couldn't close :)

After 6 weeks I managed to close it. What a wonderful feeling when those handles touched for the first time!

Needless to say, my gripper interest was back :)

My long term goal is to close the CoC#3 with an MMS (or CCS/TNS). I don't know if it's a realistic goal for me or not, but I'm gonna try! With HG250 being a bit easier than CoC#2 I'm atleast not a million miles away, probably just a few thousand ;)

Other than grippers, I don't do any grip related stuff, but that's probably going to change somewhere in the future.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for making this such a great board, it's inhabitated with great people sharing lots of useful information. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers!

/Tomas

G'Day,

My name's Lee, 180cm tall, 85kgs and 21yrs old. I'm from Western Australia and I've been training grip for about a month and a half. I started training grip to help me with MMA, Since then I've become OBSESSED. I got my #1 and closed it seven times, NS straight out of the pack on both hands. Just got my #2 and shut it five times NS on both hands. Got about an inch left on an NS of a #3. Other stuff: 2in phonebook, deck of cards, crushed apples, 20kg block pinch, bent 5in nails and bolts (not too good at figuring out the grades though), tore an extremelly crappy tennis ball in half.

Wanted to thank everyone on the board for all the great information and encouraging atmosphere, I have learnt so much from all of you.

Hello im new here, i started squeezing some crappy grippers i had lying around and i got interested in learning more about gripstrength when i stumbled upon this forum. Im about 6', 140 pounds and 16 years old :)

Edited by younggripper

Hi! I am newbie here :p

My name is min sik yun from korea. I am 24 years old.

My tall is 178cm and 73kg.

I am very interested in grippers. especially IM gripper

I can close No1. 10 reps! My goal is No3 !

I am currently trying to close No2. only 10mm away from closing!

Thanks guys!

I hope to see everyone soon in the forums!

Edited by jjangge

Hello,

My name is Laine Snook from England. I have joined your gripboard to gather useful information and get advice from others to enhance all areas of my grip strength. in the near future I hope to have a serious attempt at the red nail and NO4, although my main objective is to get 300lbs on the Rolling Thunder, which I feel will not be too far away. if and when I achieve this I hope to move on to a one hand clean and press with the Inch (I can clean it but cannot as yet press the beast), I will also attempt to get the Inver stone overhead.

I am 38 years old, feel like I am 58 years old, weigh 145 kilos and stand 6'7". I have recently returned to training after 4 years off due to health problems that stopped my strongman/lifting asperations in 2002. I hope to make some new aquaintances on the gripboard, and share any information that I feel may be of training value to other grip enthusiasts.

Regards,

Laine Snook

Hello all, I'm wildman1717 and have a interest in grip training for a couple of reasons. One, I'm a judo player, powerlifter and need to up my grip strength so it has a carry over in these two sports. Two, I need to improve my size of my forearms due to over use of straps. I think I can get alot of info. on this site. Once I recover from my surgery, I plan on easing back into the mix of things at a slower pace.

YO GRIPBOARD!

My name is Chuck, and I've been lifting for 6 years and training in karate for 4 years (teaching it for 2 years), I'm a brown belt in karate and am hoping for my black belt very soon. With regards to lifting my interests lie in powerlifting and olympic lifting, here are some of my stats & best PR"S to date:

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 195-205lbs (fluctuates here and there)

(ALL WEIGHTS IN LBS)

Deadlift: 365

Squat: 315

Bench Press: 205

Push Jerk (from the rack): 200

Clean and Jerk: 185

Standing Military Press: 155

Snatch: 135

As far as gripping goes:

FBBC V-Bar: 170

#1 x 1 (TNS)

#1 x 10 (CCS)

BBSA x 1 (CCS)

BBSA x 3 (Parallel)

Eagle Loop Chinups (4 fingers): bodyweight x 5

Rolling Thunder: 100

IM blockbuster Pinch: 25

IM Hub Pinch: 15

and I'm hoping to TNS the #2 within the next few months (weeks if I can manage) as well as get 135 on the rolling thunder, 45 on the pinch block, and 25 on the hub block, been gripping since spring and I've been LOVING it ever since, I actually did the KTA for the #1, which some people tell me is a mistake, but I'm alright I think and looking forward to getting into bending as well, hoping to learn a lot and set LOTS of PR"S!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Vasya

I am new to griptraining, but I had always strong hands.

I just bought the coc #1, #2, #3.

I closed #1 with ease, with left and right, #2 was much harder I closed it with my right hand, but I couldnt close it with left.

I havent opened #3 , because I know I cant close it yet!