NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi yall my name is Evan and im 16 years old. Im just getting into the gripping world because I think it will be very beneficial to my wrestling career. Ive closed the COC #1 with both hands but not with any consistency due to an injury. Im also intrested in the old time feats of strength like tearing a deck of cards in half, bending horse shoes, and other stuff like that. If anyone knows a good workout for me to really get into grip training Id really appreciate the help.

Check the FAQ section and the pinned posts there. There is a beginners routine.

Whats up everyone? My names John, and I just learned about grippers from an article on Mash Monsters at bodybuilding.com 2 months ago. I was hooked, and so for my birthday today (I turned 19) I went ahead and bought the IM grippers and a few HG grippers to fill in the gaps between the IM grippers. I was wondering when I get to the point where I can close a #3 , are there any gripboard members near the Houston area who could be a witness for me so I could get my cert? I'm not completely sure of how I get certified even though I've tried to search the forums, so if I asked the wrong question sorry...

By the way, just wanted to say the atmosphere on this forum compared to most forums is awesome. Not as much flaming and everyone on here seems real close.

Probably due to a great banning job by the mods! *joke*

I'm relatively new here too, and I love it as well. People are friendly and helpful, contrary to what you'd think of tough guys! =P

Hey everybody my name robert I'm from Springfield,MA. I've been interested in grip training for a while but just recently got into it. For the past few months I've been training with a wrist roller and some grippers from Wal-Mart. I'm planning on getting the sport gripper to help me train for reps on the trainer. Yesterday I finally was able to close the trainer with my right hand (still working on the left). My next goal is to be able to close the T for reps in both hands. Does anyone remember how to make an avatar?

Hey everybody my name robert I'm from Springfield,MA. I've been interested in grip training for a while but just recently got into it. For the past few months I've been training with a wrist roller and some grippers from Wal-Mart. I'm planning on getting the sport gripper to help me train for reps on the trainer. Yesterday I finally was able to close the trainer with my right hand (still working on the left). My next goal is to be able to close the T for reps in both hands. Does anyone remember how to make an avatar?

Go to My controls in top right of your screen/ Personal profile on left column/ edit avatar settings.

Welcome to this board, i'm also a newbie.

You should check out the beginner workout in the grip FAQ by David Horne and i advise you wokrout your whole body if you're not already doing so to help your grip and the other obvious benefits.

Thanks. I am already working out my entire body, check "All-sport grip" in the training section.

Greetings to all, My name is Eli, stumbled across this board doing research on grip training. I have recently started focusing on my grip with the hope of rehabilitation of an old thumb injury. I am a Fire Fighter in Fort Wayne Indiana and have enjoyed making some of my own training equipment.

Accomplishments

CoC#2

Pinch 25+35 Lb plates

Goals

Close the #3 this year

tear deck of cards

I would entertain any correspondence with grippers in tthe Fort Wayne area if there are any on thisd board.

Greetings to you all!

Some of you know me from the other forums.

Some of you may know me as Mike Gah-Gah. Some of you my know me as Mike Frank and Beans. While still others might know me as Bike Mike From Down The Pike.

My name is Mike Martello, I'm 6 feet tall 250lbs with long hair and dashing good looks. And yes I am sanitized for you protection ladies.

I guess some of you can tell by the name I am a No Hold Bared Bare Knuckle fighter (been a while since I’ve had a scheduled fight however – married life, what can I say!)

I first gained interest in grip training recently, when I found it was an organized sport. Before recently I had grippers and so on but I had no idea there was so much equipment for it with so many event as well as theory! It’s a great sport.

My over all goal is to incorporate lower arm strength and grip strength into my fighting. Though I have started training grip a little more seriously then that. And I look forward to getting to a level where I am able to enter grip meets.

Some Likes: I like beer and anything over 80 proof. I like things that make loud noises when I hurt them. I like when old women freak out when I get on an elevator (good for the ego!) I like to annoy my wife till she hits me. And I like wanton acts of rampant barbarism. And on yeah before I forget I really like to cuddle.

Dislikes: Flushing the toilet! I mean really what gives with that? Today’s society really is an oppressive thing! Things that don't make loud noises when I hurt them. World Peace, and those who like the idea. Low fat and "lite" anything. (fat is flavor my friends, if you don't like it don't eat) Oh man I hate Vegetarians; I'll stop eating the animals when they stop making them out of meat!

Anyway, that’s it, in a nutshell.

So far all the other grip and bending forums have been great . Tons of good info, good-natured posters and what would seem like ZERO flaming. I hope I can get as much out of this forum as the others. And keep up with the tradition of keeping out of assholishness that will tend to overwhelm an Internet forum.

Hi everyone.

My name is Titania and I have actually been a member here for a while. I live in Australia and was invited here a couple of days ago by warted528 (on YouTube) after he saw my apple crush video clip. I had actually forgotten that I had registered already so I went to set up a new account. I was quite disappointed to find that somebody had already registered with my name but was then relieved to remember that person was actually me a while ago!!

My main interest is not specifically in grip strength but rather, total body strength. I am a competitive powerlifter and hold three national and seven state records in CAPO (Aussie section of the World Powerlifting Congress).

My grip strength was a weakness and it has only been through constant work doing heavy compound lifts without straps that I have significantly improved it.

I may not get a lot of time to post here on a regular basis because my main focus is on my own forum and website but I will visit and post when I can. :)

WOW! Awesome to see you here!!!

How have ya been?

Hi everyone.

My name is Titania and I have actually been a member here for a while. I live in Australia and was invited here a couple of days ago by warted528 (on YouTube) after he saw my apple crush video clip. I had actually forgotten that I had registered already so I went to set up a new account. I was quite disappointed to find that somebody had already registered with my name but was then relieved to remember that person was actually me a while ago!!

My main interest is not specifically in grip strength but rather, total body strength. I am a competitive powerlifter and hold three national and seven state records in CAPO (Aussie section of the World Powerlifting Congress).

My grip strength was a weakness and it has only been through constant work doing heavy compound lifts without straps that I have significantly improved it.

I may not get a lot of time to post here on a regular basis because my main focus is on my own forum and website but I will visit and post when I can. :)

WOW! Awesome to see you here!!!

How have ya been?

Hey thanks for the welcome :)

I'm great. Been training hard and getting bigger and stronger :D

Hey all,

I'm 6'2, 180 lbs from Sweden.

I used to fight MMA (both amateur and pro). Have been strength-training on and off for about ten years, my best lifts are 420lbs DL, 242,5lbs Bench, 200lbs power-clean, chin with 2/3 of my bodyweight attached, pistol with 53lbs kettlebell racked.

the most grip-work i have done is flipping plates, throwing kettlebells, doing towel-chins, climbing rope and rock-climbed for a few years. I am on a mission to get a one-arm chin and I think I'll get there within 3 months. I figured I'd focus some more on grip-work after that :rock but I really don't have a clue what to do. Starting with ordering the COC 1&2 to see where I'm at.

I frequent dragondoor, rossboxing, T-nation, mma.tv etc and that's how I found Gripboard. Going to lurk for some time and pick up some of the info that's allready on the board.

I might as well post up an introduction.

6'4" 195 (yeah yeah, skinny as hell, I'm workin on it).

I'm actually a college volleyball player, but since I've started seriously weight training I've gotten into a lot of other miscellanous stuff. Right now my grip really sucks so I'm going to start serious training it to get stronger. Mostly going to lurk on this board until I learn enough to contribute, just thought I'd say what's up.

Hello, my name is Brad Manion. I'm a heavyweight (5'11" x 300#) strongman rookie competitor, coming from a powerlifting background. Got into grip work as a way to rehab my elbows due to nearly breaking them in a bench press contest a little over 3 years ago. Right now, I can quarter a deck of cards (cheaper brands, not Bicycles or Hoyles, though I have halved both kinds of decks). Also, I recently conquered the 60 penny nail with a double-underhand unbraced style, as well as the 3/8" x 12" timber spike with a braced technique. On a good day, I can pinch grip a pair of 35's as well as close the CoC#2 with my right hand. Also, though I haven't done this in quite awhile, I have been able to do a short farmers walk (15-20') with a pair of 45's, lifting them from the ground by the hubs. My goals for grip training would be to accomplish the current standards of the CoC#3, as well as bending the IM Red Nail and the FBBC Bastard nail. I think where I need the most help is with building up my bending strength, as I cannot put any kind of a dent in 5/16" steel of any kind (weak, Hot-Rolled, Grade2 bolts, can't even do longer bars with the unbraced technique). My crush and pinch strength should be better, but I have a welder friend building me a plate-loaded ripper as we speak, so that should come around soon enough.

Hello everyone,

My name is Pete. I was intrduced to this site by another member, Eli (elijeb), and have been lurking the last week or so. I am 30 y/o; 6'6", 300 lbs. I played on the gridiron for 5 years in the Big-Ten, about seven years ago but bad knees helped me to decide to find another career path. I have history of lifting and doing explosive/power training and the iron-bug has never left me. I have also always been interested in the sport of strongman events and the highland games.

Recently My classmate and brother-firefighter Eli introduced me to MILO , underground/unorthodox training and grip training. We have helped build and supply our training dungeon at our engine house. I have only been grip training for about 2 months and am pleased with my progress so far. I can rep out the #2 COC at about 18 and am a horse-hair away from closing the #3 COC, (I guess all that holding... uh I mean "Blocking" the D-linemen has paid off ;) ) So my goal by Christmas is to get the #3 COC closed and get certified on the Rolling thunder.

I am here to trade ideas, learn from others and share triumphs. This board seems to be the perfect place to do all of this with others from around the world.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Take care and Be Safe.

Pete

FTM-PTB * EGH * RFB * KTF * DTRT

Welcome Bam where did you play? No matter where it was the Big 10 is the toughest conference.

Thanks toe2toe. The Big Ten is one of the best conferences.

I played at Purdue from '94-'98. It was an awsome experience and helped to take my training to a different level.

BAM, you played for Purdue, huh? Do you remember a player named Jim Mitchell? He was a quarterback on my high school team in the St. Louis area, when I was a senior and he a junior. He was pretty damn good throwing quaterback when I was one of his starting linemen. I heard he went to Purdue for at least his freshman year, and later transferred to some smaller school in Illinois. I haven't talked to him in nearly 9 years.

Welcome Bam where did you play? No matter where it was the Big 10 is the toughest conference.

Thanks toe2toe. The Big Ten is one of the best conferences.

I played at Purdue from '94-'98. It was an awsome experience and helped to take my training to a different level.

Hey Brad, small world,

yeah i remember a Jim Mitchell, the name sounds familiar, however I can not put a face with on him. If I remember right he transerred to Northern Illinois. He got there the same time Drew Brees was there and we had a lot of competition at quarterback with some other kids.

See ya around.

Pete

Hello people! After lurking for a long while it's time to introduce myself. I'm from Finland and by some of the posts here I'm destined to become good at grips. Meaning just like Teemu Pohjola and Teemu I my first name is also Teemu, so a Finn named Teemu on the Gripboard must be a good sign...

Anyway, in the gripworld I'm mostly interested in grippers. I want to have my name on "that" list. I also do some occasional RT sessions, wrist rolling and block pinching. My hobby though is powerlifting. Lately I've been seriously thinking about doing the nationals in 2008 but only the deadlift. We'll see about that.

So this is me. See you guys later!

Edit: I haven't realised this but looks like I registered on my birthday. Hmm

Edited by Ripe1

Hi, all.

It's been quite awhile since I last visited so probably best to act the n00b and do an intro.

Been around in the strength game forever (57 y/o) and compete in the Highland Games in the master classes as an outlet for my fascination with iron...Hell, I have 2500 lbs of the stuff in my garage as a result of scouring garage sales, used equipment stores, offering to take surplus/unused equipment off of other lifters, and building Highland Games throwing implements.

Still haven't closed the #2 yet, lacking the last 3/8 of an inch. No big deal. I only pick it up about once a month to see if I've gained any grip strength via my throwing activities and "thinking about closing" the #2. No change except that over the years I've gone from a beefy 265 lbs down to a sleek 230 lbs and hand strength has remained constant. That's a good thing.

re the avatar...a bit of self-deprecating humor because the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.

Yo! I'm a nOOb to this board and grip in general, I posted a question right off the bat and violated rule 13. haha, + without giving a proper introduction. So here I go for my introduction...as for Rule 13. my honest apologizes.

My name is: Joey.

I'm 17 turning 18 in Nov,5,06.

I've live in Japan.

I weigh 64kgs. (141 lbs)

I've been into bodybuilding/weight lifting since I was 11, but in the past year or so I am slowly getting into power lifting for functional strength.

A few months ago I shot into grip training through my want to Arm Wrestle. My grip + wrists lack so much that I lost terribly to a friend of mine 3 years younger then I in AW :whacked Thus the interest in AWing, then to grip, I was instantly hooked and can't wait to get seriously started.

As for grip tools, I only own a few (self made) pinch blocks, a few grippers (though not CoC grippers) and some leverage (also self made) equipment. I am planning on getting #1 + #2 Coc grippers (ASAP!) + to make/replicate some dynamic thumb strength tools.

My Goals in general are far out there....but over and all, I want to close a #3 CoC, rip a 3 inch phone book in half in less then 5 seconds, and be able to pinch grip half my body weight. (per hand) My goals are far out there but....as they say, it's better to aim high and hit a few inches below, then to aim low all together! (or something along those lines!) I know it will take me months if not years, to obtain them, but I am convinced that anything is possible, and am willing to put in the blood/sweat/tears to make them a reality!

On a end note, thank you all for making this information available to so many ppl (like me!) and I know for sure that I will hang around this board for a LONG, LONG time! Again, Thank you all!

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill and I have been grip training for about a year and a half now. I am 17 years old, 5' 10", and 170lbs. Right now i am able to close a COC #2, bend IM blue nails, and bend Craftsman wrenches(11/16*5/8) braced over my leg. My goals for the next few months are to close my COC #3, pinch two 35s, and bend the Red.

I first got hooked on grip training by watching armwrestling on tv. I went on armwrestling.com and noticed they had these really tough handgrippers, which were the Heavy Grips brand. After surfing the net for handgrippers i came across Ironmind and found the COC grippers. From then on I have been a gripomaniac.

Last but not least i appreciate all of the information available on this board and want to thank everyone for giving me the motivation and information I need to accomplish my grip related goals.

Thank You

Geoff, 17 yrs old, 5' 11" 175 LB. Im a baseball player (middle infielder) looking to increase my velocity through improved pinch/ crush grip. I consistantly throw to improve my velocity but im thinking that maybe become a gripper might help as well. im planning on order COC trainer and COC # 1,2 within the next week or so and start training. As far as my forearm works goes, i usually add weight 2 bar and start curling the bar using my wrists including reverse. I also use a standard everlast gripper but i jus dont think i am getting enough out of it.