NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi my name is Leo I am 23 yrs 6'0 215 8%bf...I am from San Francisco, CA...I have been training consistantly with full body training for about 5 years....and 10 on and off....I have slowly been exploring different lifting styles on my own.....I tend to lean towards a powerlifting style program, though I am accused of being a BBer because I am quite lean as I like to eat well....heh....I love deadlifting and it's been my best lift despite shitty form some people say I have.....my grip has been a major factor for a long time...I have done a strapped deadlift of 675 for 1+1(1 clean+1 with a slight bounce) reps at a bw of 205-210 adn 6-7%bf.....however I could only grip about 500 at one point, now up to about 550 using 45s, and about 600 for 2-3 reps using 50kg plates and chalk....I have been doing grippers on and off for a while...I got an BBA a while ago(after doing about 40 each hand)then got BBMS...couldn't budge BBMS closed no matter what(in retrospect i should have gotten the one in between)....came close on a few occassions...I got HG 150, 200, 250 shortly after thinking they were good in between grippers....I also started pinching plates, doing thick bar holds as well as time holds......

so far I have worked mostly with HG150 and 250...and negatives on BBMS.....I will have it in a few months hopefully and then move on to the next couple BB grippers.....haven't tried CoC yet but I am thinking whether once I close BBMS I should get the BBGM and BBE or CoC3....would be nice to do a 700 deadlift without any straps....

Posters on other sites suggested I try this forum and I am loving gripboard/gripmania.....very courteous and knowledgeable people....

hopefully I can also improve my finger strength so I can have better basketball handles....and/or be able to palm the ball....my hands are avg 7.5' from top of the middle finger to the wrist....

Hi

Eric here,

I like doing grip training because it adds alot of veins to your forearms haha.

So far I can do the #2 CoC.

Also I find its mind boggling how people can close a #3 or #4

ciao for now

Hey, Mark here. I used to be a member of an older gripboard, unsure if this is the same one with a different location or not. Regardless, 24 y/o, Certified CoC (2001), Canadian National armwrestling title. Figured it was time to start training again and get off my lazy ass.

Actually, now that I poke around more I see WannaGrip and davidhorne and a few other familiar faces from the old board, so...yeah...I'm back.

Hello everyone!

I have been playing with my grip for about a year now. I have been training my grip seriously for the

last few months. The gripboard is awsome and I have learned alot. I would really like to enter a grip

contest in the near future(i would enjoy getting beat down). I'm 6ft. 195lbs.

Is there any way to find out if someone lives close to you.

I would enjoy getting together with some fellow gripsters every once and a while.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jackson, MS.

Hello,

My name if Franz Snideman and am a full time Strength Coach from La Jolla, CA. I am a former collegiate 100 meter sprinter and have recently got back into comepting once again. Best 100 meter time is 10.72 and Best deadlift is 415. I am 32 years old, 5, 11" and 170 pounds. Overall I am a total strength and conditioning junkee, and am always fascinated with human performance at many levels. So I guess grip strength is just part of the natural progression of the path that I have been on. I saw Brett Jones a couple of years ago bending some nails at a kettlebell certification and it blew my mind.

I can close the level 1 no problem and would like to close the level 2 this year. I look forward to learning from the people on this site and hopefully will share some progress reports as the grip journey continues.

thanks

Franz Snideman RKC

Just wanted to say hi. My brother-in-law got me a Captains of Crush "T" gripper last Xmas ('05) as a gag gift so I could build up to "win" an Emerson knife by closing a CoC #3(haha). I could only close the T 3 times before I couldn't get it completely shut that Xmas morning. I have stuck with it though and I have since added the #1 and #2 to my collection. Just tonight, I closed the #2 for my best of 10 reps with no rest or resetting the grippers. My previous record was 7 reps. This is with my left hand (I'm a southpaw); my right hand developed pain in the knuckles and I've pretty much had to lay off training it. I may order the #3 soon just to see what it feels like.

I joined this newsgroup mainly to find other forearm exercises for my right hand so I don't get too asymetrical, which I'm starting to notice. Looks like there is a lot of info on this site to keep me busy for a while!

BTW, I'm 5'9'' 210 lbs and occasionally lift dumb bells and do pullups. I tend to go running more than lift though.

--

Jeff

Hey all,

I've been kinda lurking in the shadows for about a month and just wanted to say hi. I've been on a grip quest since the begining of this year. I'm 20, am a full time college student, and an amatuer strongman. I got #1-4 COC and am about a 1/2 inch away from closing the #3. I train with it and the #4 to speed me alongand its working great. I hope to be able post a pic of me closing it sometime soon. Top notch posts here, and lots of great knowledge being passed along. I was wondering how to become Mash Monster certified? I can't find any link that explains the whole process in its entirety. Glad to be here.

Hey all,

I've been kinda lurking in the shadows for about a month and just wanted to say hi. I've been on a grip quest since the begining of this year. I'm 20, am a full time college student, and an amatuer strongman. I got #1-4 COC and am about a 1/2 inch away from closing the #3. I train with it and the #4 to speed me alongand its working great. I hope to be able post a pic of me closing it sometime soon. Top notch posts here, and lots of great knowledge being passed along. I was wondering how to become Mash Monster certified? I can't find any link that explains the whole process in its entirety. Glad to be here.

Hi Matt,

From some of my snooping around the forum, I think I've got the MM thing figured out. In order to test for certification on MM, you have to first close a CoC #3 on video while being observed by a credible GripBoard member. Then the MM members will check your video clip to see if you're legit.

If you are accepted, you can begin MM certs. You first start on the MM0 cert (slightly more difficult than a CoC #3). There's only one of each gripper (MM0, MM1, etc.) with one or two backups in case of damage or loss. The MM grippers were made by a guy named Mr. Tetting. He can make you replicas, but he doesn't have a website for ordering. You have to call him and special order them. His number is in one of the FAQs.

The gripper is mailed out to either yourself or the assigned MM observer (I haven't figured out who gets it yet). You must show the box opened on the video in the same sequence you test. There's a fee you must pay via Paypal for shipping to attempt to cert.

The MM cert is different from the CoC cert because you can "set" the gripper up to where the handles are parallel. The CoC cert has the credit card rule. Also, MM does not allow you to invert the gripper. There are several other more minor differences in the rules.

I don't know why there isn't a newbie FAQ about the whole MM thing (or maybe there is and I somehow missed it). The Mash Monster website is difficult to find anything newbie-related either.

Good luck on the #3. I just ordered mine from IM.

--

Jeff

Hey all,

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showforum=17

Mash Monster forum. Welcome to the board!

Hello,

My name is Jim. I am 34, 6'5", and around 215 lbs. I'm a police officer, and first got interested in grip strength when an academy instructor handed the class a COC #1 and told us that whoever could close it three times got to choose who went first in the exercise we were doing. I've owned the the COC T/#1/#2/#3 for quite some time, but have only recently got serious about my grip training. I joined the GripBoard because I have been having a lot of difficulty closing the #2. The best I've gotten is a little less than a 1/4", that last little bit has got me stumped. I've learned quite a bit while lurking about, and I'm sure I will close the #2 very soon. I am interested in all areas of grip strength. My immediate goals are to certify on the COC #3, lift the blob, lift 200 lbs on the Rolling Thunder DL handle, lift 200 lbs on the IM Little Big Horn, and eventually (if I can find one) deadlift the Inch replica. I look forward to attaining these goals, setting new ones, and learning all I can from the GripBoard. Thanks for a great site.

Whats up boys.

I found this board from bb.com and I'm loving it so far.

I've lifted weights for about 3-4 years now on and off and I have not done much grip work.

I ordered a CoC #1 and I'm still working on closing it (lame) ;D

OK I am a newbie and will try to reply in a way that will give everyone a larger picture about myself. First of all I am a reformed couch potato, over the last 4-5 yaers I have gained 80 pounds of fat wich i am now currently trying to shed.

In my journey to get back in shape I came across kettlebell training wich I love, in the process I stumbled across the diesel website and was amazed at the level of strength displayed there.

When I was in my late teens and early twenties I followed a low rep high weight scheme and got a 300 lb bench and a mid-400 bench and deadlift that was a while ago though ( I am 33 now )

I am currently 5'8" tall and 280 lbs ( 170 lean mass, how I don't know, just lots of meat i guess )

I want to get down to 200-220 pound range with 185-190 lbm

The only grip specific training I have ever done was a by-product of one of my old jobs, I delivered paint, hundreds if not thousands of buckets daily, by the end of the 4 years that i worked at the plant my forearm measurements were almost as big as my upper arm. I would routinely carry 4 buckets of paint ( 2 per hand ) up stairs, across construction sites, and into construction trailers. I definately had the strongest grip among my friends and even some bodybuilders I knew. I really felt overall strong with the ability to pick up stuff that my friends couldn't using my thumb and forefinger and such.

Now since I watched the deisel videos and read about the grip accomplishments of others I have realized that although I had a stronger than average grip I did not have a STRONG grip.

I am really sold on Kettlebells and want to increase my strength and endurance with them, however I also want to incorporate regular powerlifting with them. ( I have powercage, adjustable bench, freeweights, and a pullup bar at home ). My goals , besides increasing gpp and overall strength, are pretty standard, although they may take me a while to accomplish.

Goal 1) close # 3 COC with both hands

Goal 2) pick up blob with both hands

Goal 3) nail bending ( however this is optional and I don't even have a base of knowledge to start from, like what is a good accomplishment, or how difficult it is ).

Current training 3 times per week

farmers walk 2 44 kettlebells 2x 200 feet

towel hangs from pullup bar ( can't move my lard filled butt upward yet ) 2-3 sets

wringing towel out 1-2 times

I vary the rotation of these exercizes every workout, as money allows I will add these training implements

heavier Kettlebells for strength work and farmers walks ( these remind me of delivering paint, just trying to make one more step before I have to put the buckets down!! )

COC grippers

and thickbar for deadlifting

and maybe a thick pipe to go over a second pullup bar

any insight or constuctive critisizim is greatly appreciated

Edited by royceman

Hello all,

I have only recently started to get serious about the COC grippers, although I have owned the T,1,&2 for a couple of years now. I am 38, 5'5", 150 lbs., 6.5" hands, 12.25" forearms.

I can rep the 1 15 times with minimal set, can close the 2 with my right and sometimes with the left.

I am actually left handed, but due to some tendon damage in my teen years, my left will probably be my weak link.

My main interest is closing the #4 gripper, ultimately, most probably only with the right hand.

I don't do any lifting or bending, or any particular grip work other than working with the COC grippers.

For me, Joe Kinney is the man, not only being the first to close the 4 but also how he did it.

Hello to everybody!

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I decided to introduce myself, and here it is:

I am from Finland and have been gripping for 8 months or so. When i bought my first gripper (IM #1) I couldnt close it, but on the same week that I bought it I closed it (probably because I learned how to set it). Now my grip training is going fairly well, I have managed to get 10 reps on the #2 gripper and closed RB210, #3 is about 1/2 inch away and my goal is to get certified on the #3 gripper. I have just discovered bending and I think that it is my thing aswell. My best bend so far is 5 inch long and 5/16 diameter fully threaded grade 5. I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 230 pounds. Great forum by the way and I have noticed that some guys here have some insane grip and I love reading about their path to the top! :rock

Hi! I'm new here.

I just got my ironmind nails saturday and of course attempted to bend the right away, it was my first time adn i bent the white and the green without too much trouble but i could only put a very small kink in the yellow and then it wouldn't budge. Anyway the rush was tremendous, when i felt the steel bend under my hands! I think i'm hooked hehe. I want to bend once a week and work on improving my bending, who knows maybe up to the red one, there is time :)

I also hace the CoC grippers i've messed arround with them a bit but very infrequent, best i got was 4 reps with the#1 that was last year, last tiem i tried i got half rep witht he right (injured wrist) and 2 with the left so now i'm weaker, the wrist didn't hurt with the bending so i guess its a matter of getting the strenght back now, although the wrist is still not 100% throught the range of movement.

I guess my goals is to finaly work with a goal on the grip and improve my crushing and my bending wrist mostly, for deadlifting i use a mixed grip and have never had any problems so my support grip is solid for my deadlift strenght level anyway.

I found out about this forum in an article i read about bendind.

So here i am :)

I got a set of Heavy Grips (100 -> 300) and started working on them about two weeks ago. I'm amazed at how the initial improvement as been. At first I could barely close the 150 and now I can close the 200. My forearms appear to have swelled up considerably. I'm trying to work through the blisters etc in the hopes that it'll all just callous over. I also noticed the skin near my knuckles is cracking and bleeding a bit - does that mean I'm doing something right? :rock

I just started lifting some dumbbells a couple of months ago. My overall goal is to keep muscle while doing a low carb diet. The grip stuff is appealing to me because it feels so much more like _doing something_ and the strength gained actually makes me feel stronger.

I'm 29 and 6'2 240 lbs. My goal is to close HG250 by the end of this month.

Greetings! Doing grip work to complement my Russian Sambo training. Being a jacket MA, its very important to have a strong grip.

Hey all,

I am 21, 5'10", 185 lbs. I have been lifting weights for the past 1.5 years or so. Deadlifts are definitely a good time in my book. Got my trainer and number 1 COC 2 days ago. I am about || away from closing it. I have mainly just been trying to condition my hands to take the punishment that I am going to bestow upon them later on. I am considering get KTA after my hands can handle alittle bit more. I am going to buy a #2 sometime soon and start training with it. The obvious goal I have is closing the #3. I am incorporating come pinch grip using a 4x4 homemade thing and wrist rolling with a 1.5" PVC pipe (homemade as well). I do plate curls. I can't really do plate pinches because my Gym here at Clemson University has plastic weights and they don't have a slick side to them. This stuff is definitely a good time though, a good challenge. I am having to use alot of self control to keep from picking these pesky grippers up and try to get that last little bit to close the #1.

Looking forward to getting stronger,

Jake

I just started grip training in January. What works best for me, is to use the grippers about 3-5 times a week, and multiple times throughout the day. Right now, I am able to close the HG 200 with both hands, and am doing negatives with the HG 250.

Hi

My Name Is Ryan. I'm 24, 5'6" about 145 usually around 160. I'm actually a missionary in Southern Sudan right now, only 3 more months though, and got started on grip training here. Enjoy lifting weights, but don't always have them here and can't keep on much muscle when you eat a bowl of oatmeal in the morning and beans and rice everynight for dinner. When I was in town was browsing the web and saw that grip strength is a big thing. So I had some people bring out the heavy grip grippers for me and that is what I do here. Usually have to wait 5-7 days between workouts because of recovery time and not getting enough food in me. I have brought them out and let the locals try them, they have a real hard time. Looking forward to getting home and seeing how much more I can improve when I eat properly. I am close to closing the 200. I think 1-2 more weeks and I can do it. I look forward to just reading and getting as much knowledge as I can get from the guys on the board. I have also got an interest in arm wrestling after reading the forum. Didn't realize the technique involved in it. Check out my webpage at www.dinkaryan.blogspot.com I'll try to post a picture of the locals doing the grippers. Will be about 3 weeks though cause going out to the bush for 2 weeks and have to electricity or internet.

First post for me although I've been around for about a week or two, lurking and reading. My name is Chuck Carns, 5'10", 195lbs. Im currently living in Southern Maryland and didnt realize how many of you guys were in my state and nearby states. My current meager feats are closing a #2 and almost closing my Blue Babaran gripper(within an eighth of an inch) Im soon ordering a #3 to begin that quest. I just recently got into some bending (DO seems to suit me well) with an Ironmind bag of nails and I can easily finish off the yellows and the blues with some effort. I really think my formulator and sledge levering gave me a boost on the bending. My full body work includes bodyweight stuff, kettlebells(I can military press 70lbers) and some homemade sandbags(130lbs and 180lbs). I'll be bugging you guys for more bending info, as I really really want to finish off a Red and beyond.

Chuck

Hi guys, I'm Alex Howell 6'3" around 250, and currently live in northern SC. I'm really just getting into grip training; I bought the full set of Heavy Grips and have worked my way up to closing the HG250 around nine times. Other than grippers, I use sledges and sandbags to workout with, in addition to pounding on a punching bag. I just ordered the COC #3 and #4, and hope to certify on the #3 sometime in the near future (key word hope!). I'm looking forward to getting some great advice from all you grip monsters in here!