NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello

Im trying to close the HG200 that belongs to my husband (Geo) I can get the handles to about parallel so a little way to go!

Wish me luck!

C-Bert

C-Bert?, the couple that grips together stays together.

Guess I should finally introduce myself. I've been bumming around the boards for a month or two just reading as much as I can. I lift weights and do martial arts (kung fu and brazilian jiu-jitsu). I'm not a big guy at all (5'6, 155 lbs), and have always had a weak grip. I now own a Sport, Trainer, #1, and #2 gripper. In the month and a half I've been working on my grip I've gone from being about a 1/4 inch off closing the Trainer to getting about 3-5 reps out of it......Yeah not too impressive but I'm happy :) My goal is to eventually close a #2 within 1 year, and the #1 in about 3-6 months. As a result of reading the board I've also started to do alot more wrist and forearm exercises. Thanks for the help members!

Hey everyone my name is Greg from TN Im 6'0 215 im 15 years old...im very interested in grip training I've never used grippers till this christmas.... I have already closed the 2# and can get my 3 to about parallele my goals are....close the 3# and maybe someday close the 4#.... I dont know much about grippers but i hope to gain some knowledge from this gripboard....Thanx.....

Opps this is my second post.......

I'm Shawn 28, 5'3" and 145lbs.

I'd say my goals are the same as so many others..... crush the #3.

I bought the #1, #2 and #3 I could rep the #1 right off the bat (december 2005) and was about a 1/4 of an inch on the #2, now i'm down to a 1/16 - 1/32 to a close on the 2.

I hope to learn alot from the other members of the board and contribute where I can.

Hi everybody. My name is Thomas Lucas. I live in Roskilde, Denmark and I'm also pretty much addicted to grip training. Though I'm still a novice as a grip trainee I've been making good progress so far. My "Trainer" COC is not humbling me anymore so I'm waiting for my "#1" to pop trough the door anytime soon. Besides training on the COC's i do some pinch gripping and wrist curls on my home-made equipment.

My regular training consists of sandbag lifting and kettlebells. All done in the basement of the apartment I live in. Looking forward to seeing all you guys on the boards.

Cheers.

Edited by Lucas

Hi I'm manis, 25 yo, 6' hoovering around 190 lbs, hailing from the Netherlands. I have a lack of natural (grip) strength, which motivates me to turn it up an extra notch. Serious lifting since ~11 months, gained ~18-23 quality pounds while training. Lifting stats are nothing special by a long shot but i give them anyway as an idea: BP 190 SQ 285 DL 330. Furthermore I'm happy I can do dips now for 5 reps with a 45 tied to my waist, a "feat" I didn't dream of doing a year ago.

I got interested in training for grip strength recently, it's already addictive without having started properly. :) I will kick off with the beginners program for a couple of months as outlined by davidhorne on this forum. Then I'd like to pursue closing the CoC #1 as a short term goal, #2 and #3 (I must be dreaming) as long term goals. Pinching also interests me and maybe later bending and tearing. I'm pretty confident I'll learn a lot over here.

(offtopic: too bad I cannot compare any pinching lifts with what all of you guys are doing because I haven't found any steel plates with smooth sides at the gym, only rubber plates, so I can never really tell where I stand, now and in the future...)

Hi guys, names Ed, i'm 17 from England, 5'10" and weighing in at 160lbs. Been climbing now for about 5 months. Looking to improve my grip strength like any climber really but i'm also interested in besting some of the Rugby players at my school. Looking to buy some grippers but i'm not sure what strength. I'll make another topic about that however.

Just looking to learn and then help anyone i can. Cheers.

My name is James. I live in Florida (a lot of people on here seem to). I got into grip work for several reasons--mostly revolving around a general desire to better myself. I am not too good at crushing, and I hope to change that soon. Right now I only have a IM Trainer which I can close for around 10 reps. I actually like pinching, hub lifting, and thick bar work much better at this point.

Hello my name is ned i live in Pittsburgh and i have recently been diagnosed with Gripfobia...lol jp

Ok well i bought my first heavy grippers from ironmind.com a few months back. I started a new training program and really am interested in building a solid/strong grip.

I can currently close the trainer which is 100# for about 12 reps or more, i can close the 150# for about 8 reps. I am currently training to close the 200# gripper but i haven’t had any luck accept with the negatives but even then i still cant hold it closed for more than half a second. I am doing allot of grip work in my training and really focusing on using solid grip strength when doing hanging leg lifts ,pull-ups ,chins ... I came here searching for a good routine i can follow but i really haven’t found one that is strictly with the use of grippers...can someone help me out

my goals...be able to close the num. 3 and rip a phone book in half also having a enough gripp strength to do a one arm chin up...dun dun dun

Edited by mrl179

Hello my name is ned i live in Pittsburgh and i have recently been diagnosed with Gripfobia...lol jp

Ok well i bought my first heavy grippers from ironmind.com a few months back. I started a new training program and really am interested in building a solid/strong grip.

I can currently close the trainer which is 100# for about 12 reps or more, i can close the 150# for about 8 reps. I am currently training to close the 200# gripper but i haven’t had any luck accept with the negatives but even then i still cant hold it closed for more than half a second. I am doing allot of grip work in my training and really focusing on using solid grip strength when doing hanging leg lifts ,pull-ups ,chins ... I came here searching for a good routine i can follow but i really haven’t found one that is strictly with the use of grippers...can someone help me out

my goals...be able to close the num. 3 and rip a phone book in half also having a enough gripp strength to do a one arm chin up...dun dun dun

Hey Ned,

The grip strength to do a 1-arm chinup shouldn't take long, but the arm and back strength required is crazy. For the phonebook, look up Clay Edgin's instructions. He shows three main ways. You might be surprised how fast you can learn to do it with the "popping" method. As for wanting to close the #3, join the club. :)

Edited by steelbiceps

My name is James. I live in Florida (a lot of people on here seem to). I got into grip work for several reasons--mostly revolving around a general desire to better myself. I am not too good at crushing, and I hope to change that soon. Right now I only have a IM Trainer which I can close for around 10 reps. I actually like pinching, hub lifting, and thick bar work much better at this point.

Hey James,

If I could 10-rep the only gripper I had, I wouldn't find it very fun, either. Get a #1 -- you're probably close to being able to do it. And if you get close to a #2, you'll be hooked. You can close that for all your friends and they'll be in awe (unless you know one of the rare individuals who can close a #2 without much trianing).

I'm Tony from NW Indiana/Chicago Suburbs. I've trained powerlifting off and on for a while and lately my workouts have been non-existant. This christmas however, I got the Trainer and the #1. Can close the trainer easy and the #1 with both hands.... My left hand(I'm left handed) is actually weaker. Might be because I broke my thumb in highschool... So with some left over christmas money I'm gonna get a #2 and the extensor bands from Ironmind. I eventually want to get into bending and pick up a sledgehammer.

Hi Tony,

You can close the #1 by using both hands, or you can close it one-handed on both sides? Ironmind has a lot of neat stuff, but IMHO a few rubber bands are not worth $12. They come free with broccoli or you can get hundreds and hundreds of pretty strong ones from an office store for a couple bucks. For the price of IM rubber bands, you're a good chunk of the way to buying another gripper or some bending paraphernalia or a sledge.

Hi. I'm John Demchak from Rock Hill, SC. Stats: age 38, 5'9", 198lb, hand length = 7". My background is in powerlifting. Several years ago, I took a break from powerlifting and tried strongman. During that time I did a little grip training. Lately, I've been changing my training focus and decided about a week and a half ago to start training grip again. A day or so later, I came across the February 4th Tarheel Hands of Steel contest. Come contest day, I'll have been training grip for about 3 weeks but have decided to jump in with both feet and enter this contest for the fun and experience. Right now, I'm doing a wide variety of grip training to include grippers, thick bar work, and pinching. In the near future, I want to give bending a try. I haven't set any longterm goals yet. Still just trying out different things.

Hello my name is John I am 25 and live in Pittsburgh PA. I have been powerlifting for 7 years off and on. Current pr's are 505lb raw bench press with a pause, 665lbn raw squat, and a 635lb dealift raw. I got introduced to the grip world by my training partner. I have been messing with the "COC" grippers off and on and I can close the #2 gripper for 8 easy reps. I hope to close the #3 one day. For christmas I got the bag of nails from ironmind and I am pround to say that I bent the blue nail without any prior nail bending experience and look to try the red nail soon. I am really facinated with grip strength and hope to learn alot about techinque and overall grip awarness from you guys.

Want to lean more about grip training. All im doing now is COC grippers(Just got the trainer and #1). Can close the #1 for a few reps need to work on setting my grippers better. Only really interested in crushing grip as of right now.

Been lifting weights for about 3years. My current PR's at a 145bw Bench: 260 Squat: 375 Dead: 340.

Lo.

I've got an interest in building my grip, unfortunately, this account is pretty much a placeholder until I have enough money to buy some real hand grippers. Right now I've just got some regular sports store ones, which feel kind of pointless to use when I can do a hundred reps with both hands at once, and I'm aware that I have a relatively weak grip.

And also, wrist curls!

Anywho, if I were to tell you some long-term goals right now, they'd be along the lines of tearing a deck of cards in half, and possibly becoming the lightest person to get MM level 1 certification.

Hello guys. My name is Tom I am from Detroit Mi. I found out about this site from a post on Elitefitness.com. I thaught it was interesting so I wanted to check it out. I am 19, 200 lbs, standing at a stocky 5 8. I started lifting when I was about 15 for football and started to wrestle in High school. After high school I am into lifting and dieting. Wanna see what this grip strength is all about.

I'm Max, student in Germany.

I've been reading around here for some time now, but just now really got into grip specific work.

Been working out for 2.5 years approx already and hope to get a good start in bending and pinching.

I may start a journal, once I get around to buying all the nails and stuff and get a split together. :)

Hi everyone !

My name is Vladimir and i live in Sydney, Australia. I have been training and competing in outrigger canoeing for the last 6 years. Prior to that, i've trained powerlifting and various martial arts. Recently i got my first set of kettlebells and through Australian contacts i was referred to this site. I started conservatively with CoC Trainer, which i closed quickly, now i want to progress through the "scale". My goal this year is to close the #2 CoC .

I'm Tim, Age 27, 5'10", 195 lbs Madison, WI. I got COC #T, 1, 2 and expand-your-hand bands for Christmas. Wanted to wait for my first post until I closed the #2 but I still have about an 1/8" on my right hand and probably at least a 1/2" on my left. Short term goal is to get it with right and left by the end of March. Then I'll probably start the long road to the #3 as well as adding in some pinch work. Haven't lifted weights in a couple years, been mostly working with bodyweight exercises, resisted with bands, and other lifts using large d-balls during that time. Feel with this training I am in my best shape and could go back to the weight room and not miss a beat from where I was. In the last 6 months have added kettlebells and have access to all sizes up to the 88 lbs. Teach classes part time for the bodyweight stuff and one a week with kettlebells.

Hi, My name is Damien and I am 35 years old, 5'10" and 170lbs. I live in San Antonio, Tx and I am really excited about developing my overall handstrength. I am currently doing the KTA program that I learned about when I joined the GripBoard. Right now I can close the #1 for several reps and I am really close to closing the #2. I have really enjoyed learning from everyone over the last several weeks. Thank You!

Hello, my name is Peter and I'm currently living just outside of NYC. I'm 31, 6' and 220lb though I'd like to get back down to 180 before going back over 200 in the right way. I've got a desk job and I've never really trained physically before, although (sometimes against my wife's wishes) I've always used any excuse to dig up the yard, chop out a stump, or help a friend move on the weekends. I also enjoy watching any strongman programming I can find on tv, but it didn't get personal until I discovered this board and became inspired by stories about the old-time strong men like the Joe Greenstein and Thomas Inch.

It's been over a month now since I got the trainer and almost a month since the #1 and #2 came in the mail. I'm so excited I just closed the #2 for the first time today, though it'll be a little while before I'll close it reliably. My #3 that arrived last week has a wide spread (>3") so it'll definitely keep me busy for a while.

I don't belong to a gym, so other equipment is hard to come by, but I've begun levering with my pick-axe (I take it over my shoulder instead of to my nose so I dont poke my eye out!) Last weekend I screwed an eye-hook into a softball and attached a chain to a pipe and a 50 lb weight to start some pinch training. (Note, if you end up buying a 50 lb plate at the mall, make sure your wife is done shopping first so you don't end up carrying it around for a couple of hours like I did!) Perhaps I'll make a home depot trip and get some nails soon...

I'd be interested to hear about other homemade devices, and also to hear about upcoming strongman events. Happy gripping!

Hello everyone. My name is Staff Sergeant Simon Fountain. I'm 6'0" 210 lbs, and 25 years old. I am a Satellite Communications Systems Operator in the Army.

I've been lurking here for awhile and learned a lot. I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 15, but only recently started focusing on improving my overall grip strength. My short term goals are to no-set close a CoC #2, pinch grip 2 35s, and bend a yellow nail.

I look forward to learning from everyone on this site and developing my hand and grip strength the best I can.

:D

Hello All, My name is Tom from Muskogee, Ok., 44 years old, 5'7" and 170#. I've been lifting since I was 14 and have competed in powerlifting, bodybuilding (gasp!) and kickboxing. I'm lifetime natural and am training for a couple of powerlifting contests and maybe a bodybuilding contest this year. My best meet lifts are 420 SQ, 260 bench and 450 DL in the 148# class. I stumbled across the site and am very impressed with what you guys are doing! A couple years ago I bought a #2 COC crusher, then had to eat some humble pie and buy a #1. I also bought a trainer while I was at it. Buy the way, NO ONE who's tried has closed my #2 so you guys who can accomplish this impress the heck out of me! Not to even mention the #3 or #4. I pinched 4-10# plates about 2" off the floor last night so you know I have a long way to go. Any advice for a newbie for closing the #2 would be most appreciated! God bless our troops!