NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hey guys, my name is Dave. Just started grip training a 5-6 months ago. I do alot of plate pinching, plate curls, fatbar work (I made one that's 2 3/8 dia.), block weight training, never used a gripper but that's my next purchase. Just started training my grip on separate days from regular lifting and am starting to see how important that is. Looking to do alot of learning here. This forum is great!

I'm Karl, 30 years old, from Australia.

I had never heard of this sport before. I injured myself wrestling recently and was looking for something to do in the meantime. Found Nick on the net and was invited on. Thanks Nick.

Karl.

Edited by Karl

Hey, Ernie from Winnipeg here. Just looking to get some better grip for MMA. Just got COC #1 and 2 and can close the #2's 4 times so I'm off to a good start I guess. Just checking to see what tips you gus have.

Hey everyone I am new to the gripboard. Just want to say hi to everyone out there. Good luck in all of your grip endeavours.

Welcome, and good luck to you!

ask questions and search the forum, theres a ton of info in here.. along with the strongest grip-freaks on the planet.

~Steve

Never introduced myself yet :D Name's Alex, 23 years old and a former Marine. Did weight training off and on for a bit, then got into the whole Combat Conditioning phase. Did that for a well, then found out about kettlebells and stuck with them for about a year and some change. I thought they were the best thing for me till I picked up Dinosaur Training, now I'm in the gym three times a week working up for my first amateur strongman competition someday.

I'm from Pittsburgh and I train at Club Julian right now, which sucks because we're stuck there till January of next year and they won't let me bring in our 2" bar and use it :( You can see my workout logs at BruteStrength.com or by clicking the link in my sig, I feel pretty good about where I'm headed so far. Got pointed to here by the Diesel Crew guys who were at the Strongest Man in Pittsburgh competition, bunch of good guys right there. My first chance at trying out an Inch too, at least I moved it :laugh

Right now as for grip strength, I can almost close a #2 if I'm fresh and I can easily close a #1. Only other grip tools we really have right now is a wrist roller, but we should be getting the Rolling Thunder tomorrow, can't wait to try that sucker out!

wow... a COC #2 four times is a damn great start. :D

I just shut the HG 200 once with the right hand, nearly got it with left. still a newb :P

My name is Pete. I'm 27 years old and have been doing serious grip training on and off for about 2 years. I'm 6'1" and 250, live in Schaumburg, Illinois (Suburb of Chicago) and can close the COC #2. At first I was grip training with a finger strengthener for guitar. And from there I just started doing everything I could to get me grip stronger. I'm planning on being able to close the #3 by the end of 2005. I'm also about to start nail bending. My overall goal is to be able to close the COC #4 I'm guessing it will probably take 2-4 years of training. Not sure what else to really say except I'm always looking for ways to get stronger and new training methods.

wow that's pretty ambitious... good luck. :D

Newbie here :bow

I used to bodybuild...now I do GPP, strength training and run. daveb on this board got me into doing gripwork...it's a shame that people neglect it so much.

Mostly I've just done bb carries, static holds and farmer's walks so far; I just got (or rather...was given) some PVC (1 7/8 and 4.5 inches) for some extra help.

The next thing I am considering getting is.... which might be a while.... is prbly the Ivanko SuperGripper.

I have no goals but to do my best....except for dead of 400 and OH press of 225, the former coming very soon....

Thanks for the board. :upsidedwn

Edited by lucubration

Hi,

I am James from Scotland. I am from a powerlifting background but recently got involved in grip work when I was humbled by a dusty CoC #2 that I found in a gym I was training in.

I had previously thought my deadlifting had given me a strong grip but I guess I was a bit naive about handstrength before I found this board.

In the short term I want to defeat the CoC #2. In the longer term I fancy a crack at the #3.

I am now ready to face the CoC #2 again as I have been doing doing reps with the CoC#1 as well as some strap holds with 2.5 kg plate.

James

19 yr old powerlifter to be hopeful here. My buddy shorty and I are new to grip strength. I post on T-Nation and Dr. Squat sometimes. My main goal is powerliting but I love grip strength and odd lifts as well. Hope to get some big gains pretty soon.

Hi all,

A bit about myself,i'm 33 years old 5'10" & weigh 285lbs.

I've been into powerlifting & strength training for about 15 years and really enjoy it.Recently i competed in a strongman competition and was shocked by a couple of things.

1.You have to be really,really fit.

2.You have to have a good grip.

After the comp i decided to train my grip strength & for my birthday i was bought a copy of dinosaur training by Brooks Kubik.

I read it & was amazed by the different styles of exercises & the number of grip exercises there was.

I started using a 2" bar for most of my exercises i made some pinch grip blocks at work,forearm curls,bought a No1 & No2 crusher(can now close the No2) & i seem to have got everybody in the gym into grip training.

My ambitions are

1.To continue with the strongman comps.

2.To SERIOUSLY improve my grip strength.

3.To hopefully close the No3 & maybe someday the No4.

Until recently i never realised that grip training was that important or popular,now reading this website i understand just how hard & determined you guys are.

RESPECT. :bow

Hi Peeps, I'm 5' 10, approx. 215lbs, and have been weight training (Strongman/Dinosaur and more recently incorporating Oly lifting) for a couple of years, though only in the last year have I been relatively free of injuries and really started to knuckle down to training, and combine it with Track Cycling as a Sprinter. I been lurking here about 3 years now, just digesting all the info, I've had the CoCs #1, 2 and 3 for a year or so and a Supergripper though I've trained them only sporadically. Took me about 2 weeks to close the #1, #2 was a good 1/2 inch away, then a couple weeks ago having not touched them for months but just gaining grip strength from the other training, I had a go on the #2 and got to within about 5mm, and within a few days managed to close it, so am working on building up my no-set closes as I have 7" hands but would like to work to closing the 3 regardless of the credit-card rule being a disadvantage, and have recently ordered an HG250, and RB240, and I have a BBSM and GM on the way from WL Warehouse.

I also in the last couple weeks started doing more general grip training, built a couple of pinch blocks, one medium and one card-deck sized (can you guess what else I'm working towards? :D ), and doing sledgehammer work, and use a IM RT, 2" wrist-roller and twist yo wrist as well as some thick bar and thick dumbell work.

My short-term aim is to master the #2 for no-set closes, and then work my way up my in-between grippers and finally onto the #3, and to compete in a novice strongman contest :D

19 yr old powerlifter to be hopeful here.  My buddy shorty and I are new to grip strength.  I post on T-Nation and Dr. Squat sometimes.  My main goal is powerliting but I love grip strength and odd lifts as well.  Hope to get some big gains pretty soon.

noticed I never introduced myself. Also 19 years old, doing powerlifting with joe, and now grip strength. Built a wrist roller and pinch apparatus, planning on buying some grippers this summer when I have some spare cash.

Hi

I'm 5'6.5" 156 lbs, completely new to the idea of dedicated grip training.

I've been lifting weights and skipping rope to stay in shape without any specific concrete goals. My journal is over here. After I started my journal a few months back, I took a closer look at what I've been doing and started creating goals for myself.

Through the journal, I've made friends with someone who has the trainer, #1, and #2 CoC. I finally got to try them out a couple weeks ago, and I just placed my order for some HG grippers yesterday. No real grip work training so far except doing one arm dead hangs.

Found this forum when I was looking for opinions about the various grippers and trying to decide which ones to buy. Looks like a good place to learn more about grip training.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

bdckr,

through the journal, I've made friends with someone who has the trainer, #1, and #2 CoC. I finally got to try them out a couple weeks ago, and I just placed my order for some HG grippers yesterday. No real grip work training so far except doing one arm dead hangs.

how did you get on with the Coc grippers?

Welcome to the gripboard, lots of information here for different aspects of the grip world (as you would expect with such a name :D )

Edited by zpf

how did you get on with the Coc grippers?

Welcome to the gripboard, lots of information here for different aspects of the grip world (as you would expect with such a name  :D )

Thanks for the welcome.

Left hand could close the trainer, almost close the 1, and moved the 2 a little.

Right hand closed the trainer, the 1, and almost got the 2 to parallel.

Hi,

My name is Ronnie. I'm a powerlifter. I'm 6'1, 275lbs and 22 yrs. old. My current stats are 350lbs bench, 650lbs deadlift and 700lbs squat. I can deadlift 190lbs a rolling thunder with one hand, crush IM#2 and HG250, pinch 2 45s, pinch a 45lb blob and tear a 1600 page phone book. My goals this year are to pinch 3 25s, crush #3, deadlift 220lbs on the rolling thunder and bend the red nail. Since, visiting the gripboard, i've been able to find the equipment I need to get better and met a lot of cool ppl along the way.

Ronnie

Edited by supermagnamon

As i said above my name is Shawn im 19 and live in LA. I have been bodybuilding for 7-8 yrs. I Am now getting into to pwr lifting other kinds of training. I am barley getting into grip strength but have talented forearms the respond quickly to weights. I own a coc level 1 but can't close all the way think im goign to have to get a trainer. When i saw them i didn't think it would be to hard because i close all the other ones i had bought. So i will in the future be asking more questions and and starting to train my grip weekly. I wanted to know if we could all contibute to a list of all grip strength book, videos and sources were to get them. I am think there are many i have seen some. I also am curious i cyclops ever wrote any books or if any one knows of some of his training regimens. Thanks for all the replys in advance.

Welcome to the board man.

Your best bet is to search through the forums for information, I think you can get better information reading whats here for free than whats out there on the bookshelves bar a few exceptions. One of those would be John Broofield's "Mastery Of Hand Strength", pick that up if our looking for books and such.

There's plenty of videos out there to pick from depending on your grip tastes, search around and you can get the jist of whats the best literature on what.

Hey Shawn. There are lots of grip guys in the LA area. Click on the member map link at the top of the page to find them.

Welcome to a great community of athletes! Learn, learn, learn! ;)