NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello, name's Gluteus. I try not to take myself too seriously, although my appreciation and attention to training are to the utmost. Long time wrestler and now fight nhb/mma at 205lb. category. Can close COC 2 for 10, left and right, and have now started pinch grip (new to the dicipline.) Always seeking advice, especially with consideration for long hours weekly doing other things with my hands.

Hello, name's Gluteus. I try not to take myself too seriously, although my appreciation and attention to training are to the utmost. Long time wrestler and now fight nhb/mma at 205lb. category. Can close COC 2 for 10, left and right, and have now started pinch grip (new to the dicipline.) Always seeking advice, especially with consideration for long hours weekly doing other things with my hands.

We try to avoid hiding behind usernames here. What's your real name? I doubt it's Gluteus.

We try to avoid hiding behind usernames here. What's your real name? I doubt it's Gluteus.

Wannagrip,

What's wrong with the name Gluteus? I think it's kind of nice, especially when said with puckered lips- ending in a smile. Actually, my girlfriend helped me make it up when I told her I was joining an online chat group about grip.

I've been snooping around the site, getting info, and you seem to be a nice bunch of guys. No disrespect intended brother, but for now I'd like to just stick with plain old Gluteus. Not hidding out from the Mob, or anything, but I do have my reasons. Building a better grip might help to earn me more money, and do believe I treat the subject seriously.

It's good to be onboard, Wannagrip. My thanks in advance for good vibes and shared wisdom. By the way- I just ordered a PDA 262 to fill the gap for my COC#3. I respond pretty quickly tendon wise, but do you think it worth the trouble to pick up a .275 BBSM; or should I just get over the #3 hump before I worry about small incriments? Also- I just started with the Ironmind finger curl straps (the black ones) and they seem better suited for static holds (they rub my fingertips too much to think I'm doing something right.) Is there something I should know?

What's Up GripBoard. The name is Anthony Hudgins and I have just started grip training. I ordered the trainer gripper and John Brookfield's Master of Hand Strength and I can wait to get started. I own a personal training studio and that's how I make my living, training people. I was in the Marine Corps for 8 years and I have always been active and into strength training. I am 28yrs old, 5'8", 165lbs. I am not a huge guy and my hands are average size. I would like to improve my hand strength and of course I would love to be able to crush a #3 one day. I currently do a lot of functional training: squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips, all the basics to build strength. The reason I want to improve my grip is because I believe a powerful grip or crushing strength is more impressive than a big bench or something like that. Another reason is because I feel like I have a weak grip. I think my grip should be a lot stronger. I dad has a monster grip because he turns wrenchs all day and he has always worked with his hands. He always tells me that I have soft hands so I would like to have a better grip than the old man. I look forward to talking with you guys and learning from the best.

Hi guys.

What a great place this is :)

My name is Peter Madsen. I’m 29 years and live in Copenhagen, Denmark.

My cousin, who had bought a CoC #1, introduced me to gripping in Christmas Eve 2003. Because I can’t stand a challenge, I was able to close it that very evening, but also almost destroyed the skin in my hand.

I bought my own #1 CoC in January 2004, and used it primarily as a party trick.

In July 2004 I got the CoC Trainer and #2, but I didn’t use any of them seriously.

Then in January 2005 I read then book “Captains of Crush Grippers: What They Are and How to Close Them” and started gripping more seriously.

Right now I can close the #2 12 times during a workout whist my right hand, and is about 1cm short with the left. And now I’m addicted!

I do my grip work on Wednesdays and Sundays, for about 1½ hour where I use high reps.

My short time goal is to close #2 30 times during a workout before I will buy the #3.

My long time goal is closing the #3, and becoming certified. I will use this board (primarily as a lurker) to obtain knowledge about how to get there. I also plan to buy the RB 210 and RB 240, and a CoC #2 and file the handles.

Besides gripping I play soccer and lift weight at the gym. I’m also driving in an amateur go-kart league, just for the fun of it.

Cheers

/Peter

Hi guys.

What a great place this is :)

My name is Peter Madsen. I’m 29 years and live in Copenhagen, Denmark.

My cousin, who had bought a CoC #1, introduced me to gripping in Christmas Eve 2003. Because I can’t stand a challenge, I was able to close it that very evening, but also almost destroyed the skin in my hand.

I bought my own #1 CoC in January 2004, and used it primarily as a party trick.

In July 2004 I got the CoC Trainer and #2, but I didn’t use any of them seriously.

Then in January 2005 I read then book “Captains of Crush Grippers: What They Are and How to Close Them” and started gripping more seriously.

Right now I can close the #2 12 times during a workout whist my right hand, and is about 1cm short with the left. And now I’m addicted!

I do my grip work on Wednesdays and Sundays, for about 1½ hour where I use high reps. 

My short time goal is to close #2 30 times during a workout before I will buy the #3.

My long time goal is closing the #3, and becoming certified. I will use this board (primarily as a lurker) to obtain knowledge about how to get there. I also plan to buy the RB 210 and RB 240, and a CoC #2 and file the handles.

Besides gripping I play soccer and lift weight at the gym. I’m also driving in an amateur go-kart league, just for the fun of it.

Cheers

/Peter

Peter

I, also, am new to this training and feel awkward giving advise on the subject. However, if you want to close the COC#3, you might be closer than you think.

I've been on this board for about a week and discovered the inbetween grippers. After one training session with the PDA 262 I was half a centimeter from closing the COC#3 just two days later. Maybe you should try laying off the reps and just go for it now.

I don't remember where it was, but there is a thread about gripping frequency during a workout. Follow the advice. I found it beneficial to rest a full 3-5 minutes between very intense one rep attempts on the COC#3 and PDA 262 ('inbetween' gripper) Also, stretch constantly in your spare time. I never warm up before my workout- unless my hands are actually cold. If anything I'll just put them under warm water for awhile. They never pop either. I feel that from always stretching my hands, and long time work with indian clubs and hammers, they are just evenly developed and 'ready.'

You should be closing that gripper very soon.

Hello. my name is Chris I'm 5'4, 175-180 lbs & 28years old. I've been lifting on and off since my late teens but have focussed my efforts seriously for the last three years.

I have competed successfully in powerlifting and had a crack at local strongman. My interest is really overall strength with grip being a essential integral part, my focus now being strong in the oldtime/dinosaur sense. look forward to picking your brains and perhaps sharing some of my own experiences.

Hey this is Jon. I'm new to nail bending, but have become completely addicted.

I'm 18, six feet, and a high school student, been weight training for about eight years. I love training and any physical challenge.

I've become an olympic style lifter now, just getting into that. After about a month and a half I'm power cleaning my body weight (155). Just starting out.

I suffered a bad wrist injury to my left wrist a week ago, a sharp pain at the proximal end of my second tarsal. (Close to the base of the thumb). Hasn't gone away yet, so I won't be bending for a while. I tried the 6" steel spiral nail way too early. (a week into bending). Bent it though, broke one too. (Both braced, however.)

Love this site, clad to find it full of such helpful and friendly people, what a great community.

grip = the only good addiction

glad to know it is a growing 'problem' among america's generations :rock

welcome all, and keep up the training.

My name is Mike, and i just recently have been using COC grippers. I can close the #2 a couple times in my right hand. I am 20 years old and i use to powerlift in the 148 pound weight class but now i just lift to stay in shape.

On this 1st day of April 2005, I declare THIS THREAD to be the greatest thread ever in the history of the GripBoard!! :D:bow:D

Thanks to all the grip newbies posting here for making that possible!! :)

My name is Rob Hayes. I have been on a break from strongman and grip work, but now I'm coming out of hiding and can't wait to get back into it. Glad to see this board is still running and that it has grown so much. Glad to be back. My only certified "grip work" is lifting Brian Carlton's Blob at The Strongest Shall Survive in Eau Claire, Wisconsin and lifting 45's by the hubs. I have never tried any of the crushers though.

hi all,

I'm 18 yrs, 6'1'' and 165#, i've been lifting for about 7 months, mainly just the powerlifts, and working grip for about a month and a half. I have been working pinch grip with pairs of 25# plates, crush grip (i got a trainer, coc #1 and #2, at first couldn't close any of them but now all three), and supporting grip with a 2" handle. I just started doing plate curls and wrist curls which I like a lot, they help with some pain I had been having when working crushing grip on my left hand. Oh yeah, I got ironmind's rubber bands, they seem to be balancing out my hands.

I heard this was the place to be to learn about grip strength. I used to do some exercises like towel pullups, finger pullups (middle or index or ring and pinkie), but I think the finger pullups might have been hurting me. Anyway, I have this problem where I have pain in my left hand, and can barely close the trainer gripper, and it hurts when I do. Any advice, or should I just give that hand some rest. It only hurts with the grippers, nothing else.

Anybody else do finger pullups? Or have that same problem with gripper pain?

Oh yeah, does anybody out there bend the smaller nails, like 10d's, that are too short to use the whole hand?

Gents,

My name is Grant and I am 5' 9" and about 175. I am currently military moving on to law enforcement, so my grip training is focused on improving combat grip. Ultimately, my goal is to close the COC #3, but I am still working on the #2. Its seems like all of the guys who have closed the #3 and above are pretty stout powerlifter types. Have any smaller guys closed the #3? Thanks.

Gents,

My name is Grant and I am 5' 9" and about 175.  I am currently military moving on to law enforcement, so my grip training is focused on improving combat grip.  Ultimately, my goal is to close the COC #3, but I am still working on the #2.  Its seems like all of the guys who have closed the #3 and above are pretty stout powerlifter types.  Have any smaller guys closed the #3?  Thanks.

Yes. In fact, Joe Kinney was only 170lbs.

Hi guys

My name is Sam, I'm 30 years old, weigh 180 and have a Oly lifting, sprint cycling and boxing background and from the UK.

Had the COC grippers for 3 months.

Closed the trainer, #1 and #2 straight off. Although #2 was challenging.

Now closing the #2 easy and doing overcrushes.

Working on the #3,big jump from the #2 and I am about half an inch from closing.

Using a grease the grove technique where I am doing 3-5 singles a day. day 1 use #3 and then day 2 #2. Then switch back.

Also doing negatives.

For assistance exercises I am doing, kettlebells, 1 arm chins, I was doing thick bar pullups and heavy wrist curls but have recently dropped these as I was overtraining a little.

Any tips would be appreciated

"Good gripping"

Sam

hello,

My name is gruelin1, aka dave, and I'm located in Portland Oregon USA. So far, my grip training has been limited to wrist curls and farmer's walks with plates... but I am receiving the big 5 pack of Heavy Grips in the mail, hopefully this week... I've always been interested in training my grip, because some of the work I do, furniture moving, is very grip-dependent. I wanna have the strongest hands in the world... we'll see how far I get. :D

Hi, My name is Kurk. I reside in Sarasota county Florida. Looking to meet others that are trying to close the COC#3 in person to share ideas, startegies and techniques. Wanting to get some feedback as well in regards to the KTA program I just purchased. Hoping to hear from someone.

Hey I'm Steve, 19 from England. I've bee training for around 4 years on and off, right now I'm going with a 3 day 5x5 routine working push/pull/legs on these days. I've not been training grip long at all, around 3 months with things like static holds, plate pinching, wrist curls etc. I've just ordered the CoC #1 and hopefully I'll go fine with that.

I've been reading through the forums for a few days and have learned a lot from you all already, thanks :).

Hey folks, my name is Gene. I'm 23, live in NY at the moment. Some may have seen me post at Par's Avant forums.

My background is in bodybuilding training, but in the recent year I have been fascinated with heavy barbell curls and heavy chins/dips, 1-arm chins (still working on this one), etc. Looking to share knowledge and learn about world class grip.

Hello!

I'm new to gripping and is mainly going to work with it until I get a strong grip. For now I have no plans on certifiing myself.

The grippers I use for now is the HG grippers. Can close the HG200 for about 15 times with my left hand and 10 times with my right. Still Iäm not even close on the HG250 wich i find quite strange/annoying.

The reason for finding this forum was to be able to find hints about how to train so I can close the HG250 wich i feel is a minimum if you want to be able to say that you have a strong grip (out there.... here it is puny.) ;)

I have recently ordered the CoC #1 and #2, will be surprised to se how they is compared to my HG's.

I'm 30 yers old and liwing in northern europe.

Edited by tusenkonstnar

Hey i'm Mike i'm 18, I am attending the University of Waterloo for Software Engineering and i have a grip addiction.

hahaha i can currently crush the 1's for 20 reps and am waiting to by my 2's and 3's so i can use the 3's for negs and dominate the 2's to the level i can take the 1's now

my eventual goal is to clsoe the 3's if not 4's it'd be nice to close the grand galaxy's one day too ahahha

I figure I might as well post here: I've lurked here for a long time, almost as long as I have been grip training, which is about 6 months.

My name is Jeremy Smith. I am 23 and I live in the southern west corner of a tiny little penis of a state called New Hampshire. I boxed as an amature for a few years in Boston and have now been weight training for 9 months. I want to bench press 405 raw ( no arch either ), squat 405 and deadlift 495 by next year.

As far as grip goes, like I said I have been training for about six months. I first became interested in grippers at a weight and fitness store where I tried my first grippers. I had no idea anyone even made heavy duty grippers like this. Since then I have become something a gripper collector. I currently have about 20 grippers of all makes. I do use them all in my training though ( except the HG500, I can barely chest crush this thing). I seem to be stronger in grippers than any of the other areas of grip, which is why they interest me so much I think. I also train pinch and mostly thick handle dumbbell and barbell.

As far as goals go, the deck of cards, phonebook rip, and the big nail bends are the feats of hand strength that impress me the most. Eventually I would like to be able to preform these. I have great respect for anyone who can pull these off. They are infinetly more interesting than closing grippers I think, although grippers are my main focus.

Also, I don't want to start any trouble or anything, but I want to state that I will close the IM #4 with one hand by the end of 2006. Strong words, I know, but I fully believe I can accomplish this, so no hating please. ( and yes, I have a #4 and I know full well how hard they are)

Anyway that's me

wow man big goals.... good luck and train hard!!!!

Hey,

My name is dan, and i have a grip problem... I've been training grip for a couple months, unlike most ppl here, i started off not being able to close the trainer for a good minute, espeically in the left hand. Right now i can dominate 1 in the right, and close it in the left.. working on HG250 and 2 at the moment. It truely is addicting!! thanks for having this board

Shade-