NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Newbie here.

Older than dirt with no particular gift for grip. I have been doing Pegasus wrist curls, formulator wrist extensions, thick bar wrist roller work, grip machine work with an old Body Culture Equipment Company apparatus and Titans Telegraph work for a couple of years now.

Age has taken a toll on all the big lifts and I currently like to do some grip/wrist work on the four off days from doing the main lifts.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, spaceparakeet said:

Hi, I'm Leah from Tucson AZ.  At the suggestion of one of my kettlebell coaches, I attended the AZ Cactus Grip comp on a lark this year.  While I'm nowhere near as strong as the guys, I won the women's division by virtue of being the only woman in attendance.  😉  I had so much fun that I overdid it for a couple months and strained my tendons, but I'm all healed up and trying to train sanely now.

I spend the most effort on fat bar DL, rotating handle, and anvil just because I like them the best.  I hate the hub because I can't hold onto it without everything bending the wrong way (very double-jointed).  

Without a lot of in-person competition, I'm measuring my progress against the women's top 100 lists on gripsport.org.   

On 12/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, Red said:

Hi, I'm Nicholas from Hurricane, West Virginia. I'm an 18-year-old ginger who has recently, as of this month, started grip training along with general fitness things. I originally tried powerlifting, but I have a bad SI joint due to throwing the shot put weird, so it ended up not working out.

My short term goals:

1.) Close the CoC #1

2.) IM Hub more than 25lbs

3.) IM Block more than 30lbs

4.) Rip a full deck of cards in half

Personally, I find pinch grip and bending the most fascinating, but I also fancy thick bar work despite having small hands (7"). This summer I'll be moving up to WVU for college, so I hope it'll be easy to lift and etc. Much love.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:56 PM, BigRedDoc said:

Hi everybody,

My name is Bryan, I just turned 32 and have been lifting weights for about 2.5 years. I have been doing strongman training for about the past year and have done several amateur competitions. I started posting on the strongman subreddit and through that discovered the griptraining subreddit. It was there that I discovered I have very average sized hands at 7.5". I have been participating in the monthly challenges over there just for fun. Besides just doing the monthly challenges my grip training is basically 1.9" axle rows, deadlifts, pull ups, and I occasionally do the David Horne basic routine. I recently bought some grippers but haven't really trained them too much. This month's reddit challenge is block weight/blob/wide plate pinches and I have discovered that I really like them. I was able to lift an inverted 50lb hex DB and it has really sparked my desire to get good at grip. I hope to learn a lot from you guys and hopefully be able to share some info in the future.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, Walkingoblivious said:

Hi, 

My name is Amanda... I am 31 and new to grip training but I have been lifting weights for the last 12 years. My goal is to just become strong in my grip and work up to being competitive. Thank you and if anyone has advice for me... I am very willing to listen. Thank you 

Welcome to the GripBoard!

I'm Jason, long time follower of grip but just now jumping in at a more serious pace. A decade ago I found steel bending through Ironmind and guys like Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson on Youtube. Still stuck at bending the Blue Nail and closing my now 10 year old COC #2 consistently. After blowing out shoulders repeatedly bench pressing and hurting my back with bad form dead lifting, I am pursuing a more holistic form of fitness. 

36 years old

5'11 235lbs

Current place in grip:

RT #170 

COC 2

Little Big Horn #90

16lb sledge nose breakers

Goals: Close a COC 3.5, Bend the dang Red Nail, Pull over #200 on the RT, have some block weight and Inch Dumbbell fun, get my hands on a strongman log and get my bodyweight over my head

During my life I've had 7 surgeries related to a birth disability called cerebral palsy which mostly effects my left leg and left hand. Never feel bad for me, I've got full mobility and no excuses. If I ever say anything dumb, don't blame the disability, I am totally capable of sticking my foot in my mouth all on my own!

Here to read, learn, ask a lot of questions, and always be encouraging of what others are doing!

• Like 2

Hey everyone I'm James and I have been grip training for years on and off but decided to get serious about reaching my goals of completing the CTD challange and closing the COC #3. Currently I can close a #2 for 2 "credit card" reps, hub 35lbs and rolling thunder 130lbs. I am 24yo 5ft10in and have 7.1/4 hands; besides grip I practice Krav Maga and do lots of kettlebell workouts.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:14 PM, Red said:

Hi, I'm Nicholas from Hurricane, West Virginia. I'm an 18-year-old ginger who has recently, as of this month, started grip training along with general fitness things. I originally tried powerlifting, but I have a bad SI joint due to throwing the shot put weird, so it ended up not working out.

My short term goals:

1.) Close the CoC #1

2.) IM Hub more than 25lbs

3.) IM Block more than 30lbs

4.) Rip a full deck of cards in half

Personally, I find pinch grip and bending the most fascinating, but I also fancy thick bar work despite having small hands (7"). This summer I'll be moving up to WVU for college, so I hope it'll be easy to lift and etc. Much love.

Welcome @Red

Hey guys! My name is Isaiah Hubert. I’m returning to the Gripboard after having been away for a number of years. I was previously under the username Idiedintothe but have since deleted the accounts associated with that name. I’m glad to be back as a part of the Gripboard community. I’m certified on the Rednail and I’m currently working towards a certification on the CoC #3. I squat, bench and deadlift every week or so when I’m healthy and I’m currently working towards getting back to my old PRs after having been injured and off my training program in the past year. Hope to get to know some people again and plug back into the community. Cheers! 

• Like 1

Hay Mr. grip , aim across the bay from you.

I was just wondering if you closed # 3 

I have been stuck on the 2.5 for about 3 months

On 12/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, Bob Wildes said:

Newbie here.

Older than dirt with no particular gift for grip. I have been doing Pegasus wrist curls, formulator wrist extensions, thick bar wrist roller work, grip machine work with an old Body Culture Equipment Company apparatus and Titans Telegraph work for a couple of years now.

Age has taken a toll on all the big lifts and I currently like to do some grip/wrist work on the four off days from doing the main lifts.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, humble1 said:

I'm Jason, long time follower of grip but just now jumping in at a more serious pace. A decade ago I found steel bending through Ironmind and guys like Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson on Youtube. Still stuck at bending the Blue Nail and closing my now 10 year old COC #2 consistently. After blowing out shoulders repeatedly bench pressing and hurting my back with bad form dead lifting, I am pursuing a more holistic form of fitness. 

36 years old

5'11 235lbs

Current place in grip:

RT #170 

COC 2

Little Big Horn #90

Goals: Close a COC 3.5, Bend the dang Red Nail, Pull over #200 on the RT, have some block weight and Inch Dumbbell fun, get my hands on a strongman log and get my bodyweight over my head

During my life I've had 7 surgeries related to a birth disability called cerebral palsy which mostly effects my left leg and left hand. Never feel bad for me, I've got full mobility and no excuses. If I ever say anything dumb, don't blame the disability, I am totally capable of sticking my foot in my mouth all on my own!

Here to read, learn, ask a lot of questions, and always be encouraging of what others are doing!

On 12/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, James Rishell said:

Hey everyone I'm James and I have been grip training for years on and off but decided to get serious about reaching my goals of completing the CTD challange and closing the COC #3. Currently I can close a #2 for 2 "credit card" reps, hub 35lbs and rolling thunder 130lbs. I am 24yo 5ft10in and have 7.1/4 hands; besides grip I practice Krav Maga and do lots of kettlebell workouts.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, Bornintothe said:

Hey guys! My name is Isaiah Hubert. I’m returning to the Gripboard after having been away for a number of years. I was previously under the username Idiedintothe but have since deleted the accounts associated with that name. I’m glad to be back as a part of the Gripboard community. I’m certified on the Rednail and I’m currently working towards a certification on the CoC #3. I squat, bench and deadlift every week or so when I’m healthy and I’m currently working towards getting back to my old PRs after having been injured and off my training program in the past year. Hope to get to know some people again and plug back into the community. Cheers! 

Welcome everyone!

On 12/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, Solarus755 said:

Hi everyone, 

My name is Blaine. I'm 31 years old. I've been lifting weights for about 14 years, though I've been getting much more serious for the last 3. Although I've been casually interested in grip training for a while (I saw it as a necessity to push my deadlift higher), in the last couple of weeks, I've become really interested in training grip more seriously, and hope to one day be able to close the CoC #3 gripper, and perhaps beyond that start climbing the mash monster ladder. I currently have the 10 piece gripper set from Iron Mind, and have been having a blast training with them (along with accessory stuff at the gym like plate pinches and overhand deadlifts).

I've been browsing this forum and really enjoy the supportive community. I'm hoping to learn from the vets regarding training routines and form questions, and looking to get involved in any way I can!

On 12/18/2018 at 5:14 AM, Bob Wildes said:

Newbie here.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:26 PM, humble1 said:

36 years old

5'11 235lbs

Current place in grip:

RT #170 

COC 2

Little Big Horn #90

Welcome to the GripBoard!

Hey Everybody,

My name is Caleb. I’m 33 and have been lifting for about 15 years. I’ve always been interested in grip strength, but I never took it too seriously. I got into rock climbing 2 years ago and that motivated me to start working on grip and finger strength.  I don’t rock climb as much now, but I’m interested in training grip more seriously and getting into arm wrestling. I’ve never armwrestled, but it looks rad. It’s also a great reason to train grip! I’m hoping to meet some like minded people and gain some insight into training for arm wrestling and possibly finding people or spots to practice. 

Excited to meet y’all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gripboard,

I'm Blaine. I used to somewhat train grip a few years back and then last summer I got back into it with grippers and now I'm getting more interested and starting to get different gear. I love it and how much better I feel now that I've actually got a decent grip. I've got some long term goals (closing a gripper equivalent to the CoC 3 and being able to give a good attempt at lifting the inch) and I'm looking forward to learning how to get to those goals. Anyways, looking forward to meeting everyone and learning all about grip! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ALL!

I'm Brandon, but everyone I know calls me by my last name Brahler (pronounced Brawler). I joined this place on a recommendation from r/GripTraining because the mods there encouraged me to try and push my grip training further. They got me into Block Weights and some really niche stuff. It was such a unique change of pace from normal weight-lifting. I put up a video and they seemed pretty happy with my performance, and pointed me here! 

>video https://youtu.be/TLMVeZHmFbc?t=30

I have recently acquired a set of CoC grippers, and found I can REALLY crush some of them. I am able to  CCS a #3 pretty irregularly, and Im hoping to close a 3.5 withing 4-5 months to hit my end-goal of becoming the first teenager to close the #3.5! Im well aware most teen crushers are over-zealous and say they are going for the 3.5, or even 4, but Im hopeful that I WONT be one of the people who never make it farther that the 3

STATS

Weight: 230 (Goal is 275)

Height: Still Growing :(

Its cool to be here! Thanks for having me!

On 1/7/2019 at 5:54 PM, calebjn said:

Hey Everybody,

My name is Caleb. I’m 33 and have been lifting for about 15 years. I’ve always been interested in grip strength, but I never took it too seriously. I got into rock climbing 2 years ago and that motivated me to start working on grip and finger strength.  I don’t rock climb as much now, but I’m interested in training grip more seriously and getting into arm wrestling. I’ve never armwrestled, but it looks rad. It’s also a great reason to train grip! I’m hoping to meet some like minded people and gain some insight into training for arm wrestling and possibly finding people or spots to practice. 

Excited to meet y’all!

On 1/20/2019 at 3:07 PM, ScreaminGreenMachine said:

Hey Gripboard,

I'm Blaine. I used to somewhat train grip a few years back and then last summer I got back into it with grippers and now I'm getting more interested and starting to get different gear. I love it and how much better I feel now that I've actually got a decent grip. I've got some long term goals (closing a gripper equivalent to the CoC 3 and being able to give a good attempt at lifting the inch) and I'm looking forward to learning how to get to those goals. Anyways, looking forward to meeting everyone and learning all about grip! 

6 hours ago, Tycoon said:

Hello ALL!

I'm Brandon, but everyone I know calls me by my last name Brahler (pronounced Brawler). I joined this place on a recommendation from r/GripTraining because the mods there encouraged me to try and push my grip training further. They got me into Block Weights and some really niche stuff. It was such a unique change of pace from normal weight-lifting. I put up a video and they seemed pretty happy with my performance, and pointed me here! 

>video https://youtu.be/TLMVeZHmFbc?t=30

I have recently acquired a set of CoC grippers, and found I can REALLY crush some of them. I am able to  CCS a #3 pretty irregularly, and Im hoping to close a 3.5 withing 4-5 months to hit my end-goal of becoming the first teenager to close the #3.5! Im well aware most teen crushers are over-zealous and say they are going for the 3.5, or even 4, but Im hopeful that I WONT be one of the people who never make it farther that the 3

STATS

Weight: 230 (Goal is 275)

Height: Still Growing :(

Its cool to be here! Thanks for having me!

Welcome!  @Tycoon @ScreaminGreenMachine @calebjn

Hi everyone,

i'm Mateus from Romania. I am 40 years old and started grip training about 7 years ago. My goal is to close the Number 4 ccs and to lift the famous inch dumbel as often as odd haugen did.
i learned everything from from youtube.

My actual strength:

CoC 3 15 reps mms
CoC 4 1 rep mms
CoC 3 7 reps tns
CoC 3.5 1 rep tns

Inch dumbel - i don't have one. Where can i buy?

Deadlift with Fat Grip blue: 3 reps with 160kg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Welcome!

those are impressive gripper performances! Do you have any of them on video?

paricularly the 3.5 tns, and #4 mms

thank you, man!

I don't have filmed anything yet. Maybe too shy :) yeah the 3.5 was great but i think it was not a hard one. I'm going to try the 4mms again this month.

Hey all, I'm Ha, 26 years old from Hanoi, Vietnam. My main grip-related interest is calisthenics. I have won several weighted pull-ups competitions so I'd like to think my support grip isn't so bad!

I recently became interested in arm wrestling. I'm tailoring my training to include more arm wrestling-specific exercises.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, Mateus said:

thank you, man!

I don't have filmed anything yet. Maybe too shy :) yeah the 3.5 was great but i think it was not a hard one. I'm going to try the 4mms again this month.

No need to be shy if you can close the #4 dude :D

You will need to do it sooner or later, since it against forum rules to claim those feats without any evidence :)

Anyways welcome to the forum.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mateus said:

Hi everyone,

i'm Mateus from Romania. I am 40 years old and started grip training about 7 years ago. My goal is to close the Number 4 ccs and to lift the famous inch dumbel as often as odd haugen did.
i learned everything from from youtube.

My actual strength:

CoC 3 15 reps mms
CoC 4 1 rep mms
CoC 3 7 reps tns
CoC 3.5 1 rep tns

Inch dumbel - i don't have one. Where can i buy?

Deadlift with Fat Grip blue: 3 reps with 160kg

20 hours ago, minhhale said:

Hey all, I'm Ha, 26 years old from Hanoi, Vietnam. My main grip-related interest is calisthenics. I have won several weighted pull-ups competitions so I'd like to think my support grip isn't so bad!

I recently became interested in arm wrestling. I'm tailoring my training to include more arm wrestling-specific exercises.

Welcome! @Mateus and @minhhale

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

Jeremy here.  I am 37 years old.  I have been in and out of the gym for most of my adult life.  Due to a back injury I had about 6 years ago, I have to be very careful when doing any kind of lifting.  I am 5 10 and about 215 pounds.  I haven’t lifted in about a year and a half and am getting ready to start up again.  I have a COC set up to 2.5 that I have been using for about a year now.  I am about 1/4 inch from closing the 2.5 with my right hand.  I can close the 2 with right and left but it is pretty hard.  My goal is #3 right now.  I have already learned a lot of stuff I have been doing wrong from reading other posts here.  I am ready to get some more equipment to train with and get a little better routine worked out.  The thing is that I don’t have the convenience of being able to go to the gym.  I’m basically just reading through all the posts I can to get some guidance.  My main question is should I train with a gripper that I can’t close.   Today I did 10 Reps with COCG, then 10 with COCT, 5 reps with COC1.5, 3 sets of 1 rep COC2, then 5 sets 1 rep with COC2.5 but not to close.  On the 2.5 I just tried to close it as far as I could then hold it for a couple of seconds.  I apologize if this has already been covered in other posts.  

Anyways, I’m really excited to have found this community!  

On 2/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, kaira said:

Hello everyone of you, i am an amateur armwrestler who also love gripping stuff. I am happy to be around here.

Welcome @kaira !

7 hours ago, Jeremy Richey said:

Hey everybody,

Jeremy here.  I am 37 years old.  I have been in and out of the gym for most of my adult life.  Due to a back injury I had about 6 years ago, I have to be very careful when doing any kind of lifting.  I am 5 10 and about 215 pounds.  I haven’t lifted in about a year and a half and am getting ready to start up again.  I have a COC set up to 2.5 that I have been using for about a year now.  I am about 1/4 inch from closing the 2.5 with my right hand.  I can close the 2 with right and left but it is pretty hard.  My goal is #3 right now.  I have already learned a lot of stuff I have been doing wrong from reading other posts here.  I am ready to get some more equipment to train with and get a little better routine worked out.  The thing is that I don’t have the convenience of being able to go to the gym.  I’m basically just reading through all the posts I can to get some guidance.  My main question is should I train with a gripper that I can’t close.   Today I did 10 Reps with COCG, then 10 with COCT, 5 reps with COC1.5, 3 sets of 1 rep COC2, then 5 sets 1 rep with COC2.5 but not to close.  On the 2.5 I just tried to close it as far as I could then hold it for a couple of seconds.  I apologize if this has already been covered in other posts.  

Anyways, I’m really excited to have found this community!  

Welcome @Jeremy Richey !

Hello! 

My name is Pancho Urtubia.

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 200lb

Hand length: 7,9 inches

I am from Santiago de Chile. I have been training gripsport for a year, currently training focused on closing the captains of crush number #3, I am also interested  in achieving the crushed to dust certification, and lifting the dinnie stones. 

I hope to share this Journey with gripsters from other countries, giving some of my experience to the community, and learn from the strongest members. 

Thanks for accepting me here! 

• Like 1

Hey everyone, Im Rian from Ireland. Im 24. Ive been training various styles since I was 16, including strongman and powerlifting, and from spending time in the military. Ive been concentrating on grip for the last 6 months and really fallen in love with the sport. Im 5’11, ~190 lb. 

I can close the COC#2 quite easily on my right hand when rested and could from very early on in my gripper training, and Im working on the #2.5, but I’m miles off of the #3, and my left hand isnt nearly as strong on the grippers. I prefer fat bar workouts in the gym because they seem to be a strength of mine. I use Fat Gripz Extreme on my deadlifts and pullups and all biceps/forearm exercises, with my double overhand DL sittin at 105kg (235lb approx) with the FGX at shoulder width, approx a 3.5 inch bar. This tool alone has given me incredible strength gains in my arms/hands. My forearms arent too small (R=14, L=13.5) compared to 15.5 inch upper arms, but Im aiming to add on mass.

One area I struggle to program is volume. My hands/forearms can take a huge amount of work and recover overnight/over two nights. My volume is through the roof, maybe 4/5 days of direct/indirect work. 

Overall, glad to be here. Here to learn and develop and hopefully help others do the same!

Edited by Rian
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, pancho_grip_lift said:

Hello! 

My name is Pancho Urtubia.

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 200lb

Hand length: 7,9 inches

I am from Santiago de Chile. I have been training gripsport for a year, currently training focused on closing the captains of crush number #3, I am also interested  in achieving the crushed to dust certification, and lifting the dinnie stones. 

I hope to share this Journey with gripsters from other countries, giving some of my experience to the community, and learn from the strongest members. 

Thanks for accepting me here! 

10 hours ago, Rian said:

Hey everyone, Im Rian from Ireland. Im 24. Ive been training various styles since I was 16, including strongman and powerlifting, and from spending time in the military. Ive been concentrating on grip for the last 6 months and really fallen in love with the sport. Im 5’11, ~190 lb. 

I can close the COC#2 quite easily on my right hand when rested and could from very early on in my gripper training, and Im working on the #2.5, but I’m miles off of the #3, and my left hand isnt nearly as strong on the grippers. I prefer fat bar workouts in the gym because they seem to be a strength of mine. I use Fat Gripz Extreme on my deadlifts and pullups and all biceps/forearm exercises, with my double overhand DL sittin at 105kg (235lb approx) with the FGX at shoulder width, approx a 3.5 inch bar. This tool alone has given me incredible strength gains in my arms/hands. My forearms arent too small (R=14, L=13.5) compared to 15.5 inch upper arms, but Im aiming to add on mass.

One area I struggle to program is volume. My hands/forearms can take a huge amount of work and recover overnight/over two nights. My volume is through the roof, maybe 4/5 days of direct/indirect work. 

Overall, glad to be here. Here to learn and develop and hopefully help others do the same!

Welcome @pancho_grip_lift and @Rian !!

Hello my friend's! I am from Russia (Siberia). I am very pleased to have found this forum. I will read and get your training experience. Sorry for my English in advance. All respect from Russia!

• Like 1