Jump to content
Sybersnott

NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Recommended Posts

Broc

Hello all,

Im a rock climber, acrobat, and all around feats of strength athlete.  For many long months I have been successfully using grip training to heal my overuse elbow injuries from climbing.  

Im looking forward to finding some colorado locals to train with, get involved in grip competitions, and eventually hosting a grip competition series in colorado.  I also look forward to learning and sharing the many secrets of strength training.

For starters, anyone in Colorado?

 

    

Edited by Broc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zs242

My name is Zsolt Hornyak.I am 38 years old, 190cm, 108kg. I live in Budapest, Hungary.
I have 20 years of weight training experience. 5 years ago got knee injury, and decided to alter my training to improve grip strenght.
Two years later i started interesting in steelbending.
I have been bending steel since 2013 but seriously about a year ago.
Some attempts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYvW2YYrSofSGuLdgnX-W-g

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Sharkey
1 hour ago, zs242 said:

My name is Zsolt Hornyak.I am 38 years old, 190cm, 108kg. I live in Budapest, Hungary.
I have 20 years of weight training experience. 5 years ago got knee injury, and decided to alter my training to improve grip strenght.
Two years later i started interesting in steelbending.
I have been bending steel since 2013 but seriously about a year ago.
Some attempts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYvW2YYrSofSGuLdgnX-W-g

Great bending dude.  6" red in IMP's is legit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Handyman

Hey everyone, my real name is Derek. I am a professional armwrestler primarily, with a passion for the iron and all things strength. I have a thorough background in the martial arts including an amateur Muay Thai career and some MMA. I began strength training seriously 10 years ago, after my first son was born and I no longer had enough time to train effectively for fighting. Stats currently are 33y.o. 6'0, 150lbs, 9% BF. Some of my goals include a national championship in armwrestling, closing the #3 CoC, 200lbs on the RT, and always PRing. Thanks for having me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker
8 hours ago, Handyman said:

Hey everyone, my real name is Derek. I am a professional armwrestler primarily, with a passion for the iron and all things strength. I have a thorough background in the martial arts including an amateur Muay Thai career and some MMA. I began strength training seriously 10 years ago, after my first son was born and I no longer had enough time to train effectively for fighting. Stats currently are 33y.o. 6'0, 150lbs, 9% BF. Some of my goals include a national championship in armwrestling, closing the #3 CoC, 200lbs on the RT, and always PRing. Thanks for having me!

Welcome, handyman!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wannagrip
On 9/28/2016 at 10:59 PM, Handyman said:

Hey everyone, my real name is Derek. I am a professional armwrestler primarily, with a passion for the iron and all things strength. I have a thorough background in the martial arts including an amateur Muay Thai career and some MMA. I began strength training seriously 10 years ago, after my first son was born and I no longer had enough time to train effectively for fighting. Stats currently are 33y.o. 6'0, 150lbs, 9% BF. Some of my goals include a national championship in armwrestling, closing the #3 CoC, 200lbs on the RT, and always PRing. Thanks for having me!

Welcome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bouncer66

Hi there, my name is Henk and I live in The Netherlands, Been working out with weights since 1988 so yeah, been doing it for a while now. Griptraining is a passion.

Glad to be among people who think alike and try to become the best they can be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate

Sweet!  

Netherlanders FTW!

Welcome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bouncer66

Thanks! Actually I,m a Frisian,up north that is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jörg Keilbach

Welcome Henk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wannagrip

@Bouncer66 Welcome to the GripBoard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wannagrip

Just for the record, I get a bit of sadness every time we get a new member and they post in Sybersnott's thread he started so long ago (and the most replies of any thread).

May you rest in peace dude and know you still are here in spirit every time a new member gets welcomed!

RIP John!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bouncer66

Being the new kid on the block....sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Knowlton

Hi my name is John, I’m 54 years , on a good day I weigh about 245lbs I have been lifting for years, I got my first set of weights in 1975, in the 90s I started powerlifting.

A couple years ago I got hooked on grip strength, I  have made some grip strengthen

Equipment , I can close coc#2 and hope to close the #3 soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan Thompson

Names Dan and im 28 years old. Dont do much for strength training right now but looking forward to a stronger grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe beers

Hello my name is joe I'm new to world of grip and I love it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dhbaker15

My name is Donnie, 24 yo. From eastern NC. Been lifting for 10 years. I only started gripping about 6 months ago to help with strongman events and now it's an addiction. Recently competed at my first grip contest Iron Station day of strength. I can close the COC #2 working towards #2.5. My favorite lift would have to be hubbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate

 

On 10/21/2016 at 11:58 AM, John Knowlton said:

Hi my name is John, I’m 54 years , on a good day I weigh about 245lbs I have been lifting for years, I got my first set of weights in 1975, in the 90s I started powerlifting.

A couple years ago I got hooked on grip strength, I  have made some grip strengthen

Equipment , I can close coc#2 and hope to close the #3 soon

Welcome aboard!  The #3 is a worth adversary.

 

On 11/1/2016 at 9:53 AM, Dan Thompson said:

Names Dan and im 28 years old. Dont do much for strength training right now but looking forward to a stronger grip.

I started with "only" grip...and had considerable gains even before adding a strength program.

 

On 11/2/2016 at 9:57 PM, Joe beers said:

Hello my name is joe I'm new to world of grip and I love it 

We know the feeling!  Welcome.

 

4 minutes ago, dhbaker15 said:

My name is Donnie, 24 yo. From eastern NC. Been lifting for 10 years. I only started gripping about 6 months ago to help with strongman events and now it's an addiction. Recently competed at my first grip contest Iron Station day of strength. I can close the COC #2 working towards #2.5. My favorite lift would have to be hubbing.

Welcome!  You've been introduced to some great guys with incredible grips.  Great place to start. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wannagrip
On 10/21/2016 at 10:58 AM, John Knowlton said:

Hi my name is John, I’m 54 years , on a good day I weigh about 245lbs I have been lifting for years, I got my first set of weights in 1975, in the 90s I started powerlifting.

A couple years ago I got hooked on grip strength, I  have made some grip strengthen

Equipment , I can close coc#2 and hope to close the #3 soon

John, welcome!  

On 11/1/2016 at 8:53 AM, Dan Thompson said:

Names Dan and im 28 years old. Dont do much for strength training right now but looking forward to a stronger grip.

Dan, welcome and you will definitely get all the information here to get a stronger grip.

On 11/2/2016 at 8:57 PM, Joe beers said:

Hello my name is joe I'm new to world of grip and I love it 

Joe, it is such fun and there is so much to mess with in grip!

19 hours ago, dhbaker15 said:

My name is Donnie, 24 yo. From eastern NC. Been lifting for 10 years. I only started gripping about 6 months ago to help with strongman events and now it's an addiction. Recently competed at my first grip contest Iron Station day of strength. I can close the COC #2 working towards #2.5. My favorite lift would have to be hubbing.

Welcome to the addiction! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Latgalian

Hello!

My name is Juris, I'm 27, 6'0, 224 lbs, I'm lifting for almost 6 years (squat - 506 lbs, bench - 374 lbs, deadlift - 627 lbs), but all the time grip was my weak point, so I started gripping few weeks ago. As for now I can close CoC 2 and training for CoC 3 certification (maybe, someday).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeezus

Nice PL numbers. Welcome to the gripboard :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke Otting

Hi Everyone!

I joined this group because I want to increase my grip, I need a group to teach me, and I like lifting.

Just started a log; I hope you will follow me and push me on!

Also, what are mash monster grippers and how are they different from CoC grippers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beast_Incarnate

Hello my name is Matt!

Sunday July 5th, 2015 at 6:30am having just started my shift while working at Tim Hortons, I experienced quite a devestating injury to my left hand when a faulty empty glass coffee pot exploded and nearly completely severed my left index finger right at the base where your digit connects to the palm. 

Through 2 surgeries and 9 months of physio, the finger's fuction has yet to return. And the daunting memory of being 1 handed for months on end is something I'll never forget for as long as I live, gifting me with such a unique appreciation for everything we are given in regards to our mobility. 

Enough with the sympathy story....but it serves as to why I'm pursuing "Captains Of Crush"! 

As a farm boy I've always been stronger than "average" and always interested in anything physical whether that be carrying 60 lbs square bails as young as 5, or getting into fights with Grade 8 bullies as young as still being in Grade 5!

I'm by no means a big guy. I'm 23 years old, about an even 6 feet tall and 168 lbs (weighed tonight) I do have "genetics" in my family and remember having visable abdominal muscles in kindergarden before any of us knew what they were....Throughout my time in physical therapy I tested 76kg(167#) on my RH, and with my left began at 23kg (50#) and "graduated" at 46kg (101#). Now I will remind you guys that before you laugh at me, I had this arm completely immobilized for months on end and had a gangrene scare shortly after the first surgery.

Now that I'm alot better off than once was and my therapist needs to deligate time to people in much more dire need of her help, my post PT begins!

I purchased the Guide (60lbs), Sport (80lbs) and Trainer (100lbs). They come tomorrow and I'm excited to close all of em! Woooo!

But in all seriousness does the company really certify you if you close the heavier ones? Never done any sort of grip training so I'm very excited to graduating to the heavier ones.

Is it tomorrow yet? Haha

-M

received_10206550708519919.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patrickmeniru
On 11/29/2016 at 1:58 AM, Luke Otting said:

Hi Everyone!

I joined this group because I want to increase my grip, I need a group to teach me, and I like lifting.

Just started a log; I hope you will follow me and push me on!

Also, what are mash monster grippers and how are they different from CoC grippers?

Good luck with your training, keeping a log can be very rewarding if you can stick with it.

The MM grippers are used for certifying on the MM ladder, unlike other certifications, the exact same gripper is used by each person who certs, so that it's an equal playing field for all (due to tiny variations in the spring and mounting, grippers vary in how hard they are to close, even if the spec is identical - so two CoC #3s are unlikely to be exactly the same poundage and can vary by quite a bit - up to 20 pounds or so).

Details on the specs of the MM grippers are linked below, I can't tell you how the feel is different from CoCs having never attempted an MM cert, but different brands tend to have slightly different feels - some 'ramp up' towards the close - i.e the first part, or setting the gripper, is easy but then the difficulty quickly increases as the handles get closer, whilst other grippers may have the same poundage but have a smoother feel due to a more consistent effort required across the full sweep of the close. There are also differences in knurling etc.

Finally, the MM grippers have never been rated, so difficult to know exactly how hard each one is, although looking at the RNGs of the replicas and the guesses of those on the ladder can give some guidance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.