NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

7 hours ago, jchawk said:

bencrush - no I am on the east coast ... but thanks for the offer.

No problem, just thought your username might've been a reference to the KU Jayhawks. As far as closing grippers, I'd recommend Jedd Johnson's Cadence Based Training e-book. I bought it a while back, but changed training focus before starting it. I looked it over thoroughly and think it's excellent though and have no doubt it will be great. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 6:20 PM, Nuttgens said:

Hey guys, my name is Steve 29 years old. I work up in northern Canada and after they shut down the gym here for Covid I ordered some grippers and started training them. I got my coc 1 1.5 and 2 at the beginning of May. Closed the 1 and 1.5 for reps when I got them took a few weeks to close the 2. Once I could rep my 2 for 13 reps I ordered the 2.5 and 3 they showed up about a week ago and right now can close my 2.5 for 5 reps but can’t even budge my 3. So for now just working on getting the reps up on my 2.5. I think my 2.5 might be an easier one and 3 harder because the spread on my 3 is half a handle width more than my 2.5. Anyways I guess I’ll let you know if I can ever get that #3 closed.

Welcome @Nuttgens!

On 9/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, Busa said:

Hi, my name is Rob I'm 52 years old now.  Live in Yorkshire UK.

I've been into grip training on & off for many years. Being at the time in the Army reserves I had a passion for all things strength n fitness. It was before my first tour of Iraq way back in 2004 that I purchased my first grippers CofC #1 & #'2. To take with me on tour to give a little workout when time allowed. At the time I was amazed I could no set close them out the packet I put this down to my manual day job.

Times have moved on & my interest has been reborn, found my grippers while doing a lockdown tidy. Sorry to say the No2 gripper I have is a struggle to move now. Can still close #1 (Put that down to less wrench work & more cordless power tools at work)  But working back up to it & hopefully beyond.

I was a member of a couple of forums for the grip community back then but think they have died or my log in expired.

I also enjoy collecting & I'm sorry to see that a lot of the cottage industry Hand gripper makers have now stopped manufactoring.

I've been reading the training logs & acumplishments for a few months. They are are giving me great motivation. Hope to post my own soon until then. A big Thanks to all who contribute, Keep Gripping. 😊

Welcome @Busa!

18 hours ago, jchawk said:

Hi, my name is Joe.  I am getting back into grip training after many years away from it.  Does anyone have advice or maybe can point me to a thread pertaining to the last part of a close.  I used to be able to get the handles to touch on my #2 but I can no longer do so.  I expected to regress but I forgot how best to train for the last part of the close.  I do have a machine that used to be referred to as the "secret weapon" that I can do negatives.  In any case, I'm happy to be part of the community again and looking forward to getting back on the grip strength path.

Welcome @jchawk!

Hi all! Im from Kazakhstan, my name is Yaroslav. Weight: 92kg. Height: 192cm.  Age: 33 years. I do amateur weightlifting sport. (90 snatch, 110 clean&jerk)

My grip way began few years ago. The best result was CoC2.5 for 1 rep TNS by right hand. Next I stopped training grippers for 4 years and now starting again. All 2019 year I closed CoC1.5 for reps TNS. 2 month ago I purchased russian grippers "ХВАТ" (means GRIP).

Now my results are:

1) CoC1.5 TNS 20reps by right and left hand

1) ХВАТ-6 (like hard CoC2) TNS 11 reps right hand, TNS 3 reps left hand.

2) ХВАТ-7 (like CoC2.5) TNS 2 reps right hand, 40mm 1 rep left hand.

3) ХВАТ-8 (like medium CoC3) deep set right hand, parallel set 1 rep right hand.

My aim is to close CoC3 and get cert from IronMind, and get all 1-8 MM certs (my dream).

Hey Board, my name is Evan. I’m 31 years old. I’ve been training grip seriously for almost a year now.

A bit of background...grew up doing lots of manual labor since my dad is a carpenter and we raised cattle, hogs, chickens, horses. Did just about everything—fixed fences, hauled hay, chopped wood, etc. All the great things that can lay a foundation for hand strength (I’m very lucky my family made me do all these things).

I played a bunch of sports throughout the years, competed in raw and geared powerlifting from 2009-2015, and Olympic weightlifting from 2014-2019. I loved sports and training so much I decided to become a strength and conditioning coach. I’ve been working at a power 5 school for 6 years now and love it. 

My grip goals are to close a COC 3 from a parallel set and to pinch 2x45s (Pinch is probably my favorite of the big 3). I also want to contribute to the board as much as I can.

Thank you to all the previous contributors—you’ve taught me more than you know already!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, weightlifter said:

Hi all! Im from Kazakhstan, my name is Yaroslav. Weight: 92kg. Height: 192cm.  Age: 33 years. I do amateur weightlifting sport. (90 snatch, 110 clean&jerk)

My grip way began few years ago. The best result was CoC2.5 for 1 rep TNS by right hand. Next I stopped training grippers for 4 years and now starting again. All 2019 year I closed CoC1.5 for reps TNS. 2 month ago I purchased russian grippers "ХВАТ" (means GRIP).

Now my results are:

1) CoC1.5 TNS 20reps by right and left hand

1) ХВАТ-6 (like hard CoC2) TNS 11 reps right hand, TNS 3 reps left hand.

2) ХВАТ-7 (like CoC2.5) TNS 2 reps right hand, 40mm 1 rep left hand.

3) ХВАТ-8 (like medium CoC3) deep set right hand, parallel set 1 rep right hand.

My aim is to close CoC3 and get cert from IronMind, and get all 1-8 MM certs (my dream).

Welcome @weightlifter!

18 hours ago, coffeegrip said:

Hey Board, my name is Evan. I’m 31 years old. I’ve been training grip seriously for almost a year now.

A bit of background...grew up doing lots of manual labor since my dad is a carpenter and we raised cattle, hogs, chickens, horses. Did just about everything—fixed fences, hauled hay, chopped wood, etc. All the great things that can lay a foundation for hand strength (I’m very lucky my family made me do all these things).

I played a bunch of sports throughout the years, competed in raw and geared powerlifting from 2009-2015, and Olympic weightlifting from 2014-2019. I loved sports and training so much I decided to become a strength and conditioning coach. I’ve been working at a power 5 school for 6 years now and love it. 

My grip goals are to close a COC 3 from a parallel set and to pinch 2x45s (Pinch is probably my favorite of the big 3). I also want to contribute to the board as much as I can.

Thank you to all the previous contributors—you’ve taught me more than you know already!

Welcome @coffeegrip!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

my name is Herman and I am trying to make some great grip & wrist strength gains so I decided to join the forum for advice and tips.

I have always had an interest in training my grip ever since I can remember. I love doing all kinds of odd/circus grip lifts and the unusual stuff. I weigh 85KG (187lbs) and can snatch a 48KG kettlebell, lift a 20kg blob with wide pinch grip, bottom-up press a 32KG kettlebell. I bought my first Captains of Crush grippers about 6 years ago, but after CCS-ing the #2, stopped training with them regularly. 

Now I started to train grip more seriously again. I am getting fat gripz and CoC #2.5 and #3. My goal is to close the #3 from parallel and perhaps one day get the credit card cert too.

Due to not having trained with grippers regularly a long while and focusing more on other aspects of fitness my grip is a bit weaker right now than at its peak. Currently I can TNS the CoC #1.5 and mash close the CoC#2 (credit card set with the #2 is difficult right now).

How often should I try to train grippers if I already go to the gym 5 days a week? Most of my training at the gym is kettlebells and barbells related.

Thanks! Looking forward to improving m grip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone 

I am Steve from England like everything grip related bit of Powerlifting do a bit of everything really ...............Poorly at best😂 I am on IG do a few vids of my forgettable lifts etc🤣 
Best Regards

Steve

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steveslater22 said:

Hi Everyone 

I am Steve from England like everything grip related bit of Powerlifting do a bit of everything really ...............Poorly at best😂 I am on IG do a few vids of my forgettable lifts etc🤣 
Best Regards

Steve

Alreet steve man, can you guess who it is? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, after lurking on this forum for about 6 months I have decided to finally make an account! Lots of awesome and informative people on here :) im into bodybuilding and just got serious about grip in the last half a year. Im currently very close to mms'ing the #3 and look forward to chatting with everyone on here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't my first post but, better late than never.

I have no grip training under my belt. Saw some youtubers messing around with some grippers and thought I'd give it a shot. My work requires me to use my hands a lot. I ordered a coc T thinking 100lbs was a lot. I got that in about a week ago and easily hit 20 reps and stopped. So I ordered a 1 and got that in today and did the exact same thing, 20 reps and stopped, fully open to closed. So I have a 1.5, 2 and 2.5 on the way. After some reading it seems rare to find someone who can close a 2 with no training. I'm hoping to be one of those people and will probably do a short video showing, not because its impressive, but I don't want someone down the line saying I couldn't have started at X gripper. 

I'm 30, 6 foot, 205. I don't know the proper way to measure my hand. I know some say it does and doesn't matter. But, I'll list mine anyway. My hand is 8 inches from the crease below my palm to the tip of my middle finger. My palm is 3.5 inches wide from the knuckle of my index finger to my pinky finger knuckle. I don't go to the gym anymore. If I had to guess my stats in the gym it would be pretty embarrassingly low. Body weight max bench etc.

My goal is to cert a coc 3. From there who knows.

Edited by Adam Fry

Welcome, good luck on the #2 close. It is worth doing a video but more to watch yourself to study technique more than anything else.

Hello my name is Nick , im 18 years old and my bodyweight is 67kg. Back in 2018 i bought two captain of crush grippers the 2.5 and the 3. Right now im able to close my 2.5 with deepset(right hand) and i can move my 3 almost to parallel(with deepset attempt).My current goal is to close the 3 with deepset one day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I’ve been using this forum for about a year and finally decided to sign up. I’m interested in most aspects of grip training but after being unable to take part in King Kong this year I’ve had a bigger focus on bending. I’m close to bending the equivalent of a red nail so that’s my goal at the moment. I don’t really know many people who bend so I’m looking forward to the discussion. I’m  also in the process of putting together a box for beginners which will have nails, steel and bolts suitable for the path to the red nail. The box is not for profit and people will only pay the cost of the steel+postage. I’m based in the UK and have found the board really helpful when progressing with bending but getting appropriate steel can be difficult so the box would be for people in the UK/EU. Finally I have some half legacy blobs of different weights that I’m trying to swap possibly for other blobs or equipment or sell. I know how difficult getting blobs in the UK can be so I thought people on gripboard would appreciate the opportunity rather than putting them on eBay. 

Edited by Christie

Hello everybody,

My name is Stein and I am from the Netherlands.  I am 26 years old and my height is 203 cm and I weigh 125 kg's.  My goal is to certify on the COC 3# and I joined this forum to keep a log that keeps me motivated and to check out my progress.  I also like this forum for all information that is on it ( thanks everybody, it really helps) .

I have closed the COC 3# in 2017 parallel set, after that I haven't been training grip but since a couple of months I have picked it up again and I really want to accomplish this goal.  I also have an history with basketball and volleyball but strenght training was always my favorite.

It's really an obsession haha.  My current program is an upper lower split to keep my general strenght and then train grippers every three days. My current stats:

COC 2.5# 8 CCS 

COC 3# deep set close

• 3 weeks later...

Ha Do!

Been into grip/hand strength for some years now. I’m 41yrs old, 6,2” & 216lbs. Can close #2, almost #2.5 & want to close #3. Also, going to try bending which is new to me. I’ll poke around this forum & see what knowledge I can gather. 

Na Zdrowie!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, pretty new to grip training, only been training since November 2020. 

No impressive feats as of yet but getting there. 

I'm currently using Gods of Grip Tlaloc gripper which is just under a COC 0.5.

Going to be getting some COC grippers soon. with my ultimate goal to close a #3 COC

Past 7 years ive been doing different martial arts including Sambo and BJJ, and ive been on and off general strength training for about the same time. Looking to smash some goals in 2021!!

• Thanks 1

Evening all!
New to serious gripping but starting overseas while being stuck in a room for a year. Me and a few friends made games out of a CoC Trainer to see how long we could hold a quarter. At that time I think the best we could do was 2-3 minutes. Actually ended up buying a complete set of CoC just to leave at work and use here and there. Can rep a 1.5 currently and would like to work up to the 3. The 4 sits on the rack just to humble others that question how hard grippers can be hah! I have read through this forum a bit and have since made a hockey puck to mimic the hub, a set of coins for key pinching, picked up a loading pin, and ordered the flask since I sold all my Olympic flat weights 🤧. Gonna start messing around with the beginner workout that was listed in the forum.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, Swoolio said:

Hello everyone, after lurking on this forum for about 6 months I have decided to finally make an account! Lots of awesome and informative people on here :) im into bodybuilding and just got serious about grip in the last half a year. Im currently very close to mms'ing the #3 and look forward to chatting with everyone on here.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:45 PM, Adam Fry said:

This isn't my first post but, better late than never.

I have no grip training under my belt. Saw some youtubers messing around with some grippers and thought I'd give it a shot. My work requires me to use my hands a lot. I ordered a coc T thinking 100lbs was a lot. I got that in about a week ago and easily hit 20 reps and stopped. So I ordered a 1 and got that in today and did the exact same thing, 20 reps and stopped, fully open to closed. So I have a 1.5, 2 and 2.5 on the way. After some reading it seems rare to find someone who can close a 2 with no training. I'm hoping to be one of those people and will probably do a short video showing, not because its impressive, but I don't want someone down the line saying I couldn't have started at X gripper. 

I'm 30, 6 foot, 205. I don't know the proper way to measure my hand. I know some say it does and doesn't matter. But, I'll list mine anyway. My hand is 8 inches from the crease below my palm to the tip of my middle finger. My palm is 3.5 inches wide from the knuckle of my index finger to my pinky finger knuckle. I don't go to the gym anymore. If I had to guess my stats in the gym it would be pretty embarrassingly low. Body weight max bench etc.

My goal is to cert a coc 3. From there who knows.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:41 PM, Busa said:

Welcome, good luck on the #2 close. It is worth doing a video but more to watch yourself to study technique more than anything else.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, Nick K. said:

Hello my name is Nick , im 18 years old and my bodyweight is 67kg. Back in 2018 i bought two captain of crush grippers the 2.5 and the 3. Right now im able to close my 2.5 with deepset(right hand) and i can move my 3 almost to parallel(with deepset attempt).My current goal is to close the 3 with deepset one day.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:46 AM, Christie said:

Hey, I’ve been using this forum for about a year and finally decided to sign up. I’m interested in most aspects of grip training but after being unable to take part in King Kong this year I’ve had a bigger focus on bending. I’m close to bending the equivalent of a red nail so that’s my goal at the moment. I don’t really know many people who bend so I’m looking forward to the discussion. I’m  also in the process of putting together a box for beginners which will have nails, steel and bolts suitable for the path to the red nail. The box is not for profit and people will only pay the cost of the steel+postage. I’m based in the UK and have found the board really helpful when progressing with bending but getting appropriate steel can be difficult so the box would be for people in the UK/EU. Finally I have some half legacy blobs of different weights that I’m trying to swap possibly for other blobs or equipment or sell. I know how difficult getting blobs in the UK can be so I thought people on gripboard would appreciate the opportunity rather than putting them on eBay. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:19 PM, SteinWillems1 said:

Hello everybody,

My name is Stein and I am from the Netherlands.  I am 26 years old and my height is 203 cm and I weigh 125 kg's.  My goal is to certify on the COC 3# and I joined this forum to keep a log that keeps me motivated and to check out my progress.  I also like this forum for all information that is on it ( thanks everybody, it really helps) .

I have closed the COC 3# in 2017 parallel set, after that I haven't been training grip but since a couple of months I have picked it up again and I really want to accomplish this goal.  I also have an history with basketball and volleyball but strenght training was always my favorite.

It's really an obsession haha.  My current program is an upper lower split to keep my general strenght and then train grippers every three days. My current stats:

COC 2.5# 8 CCS 

COC 3# deep set close

On 12/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, JPolska said:

Ha Do!

Been into grip/hand strength for some years now. I’m 41yrs old, 6,2” & 216lbs. Can close #2, almost #2.5 & want to close #3. Also, going to try bending which is new to me. I’ll poke around this forum & see what knowledge I can gather. 

Na Zdrowie!

10 hours ago, Giggs said:

Hey all, pretty new to grip training, only been training since November 2020. 

No impressive feats as of yet but getting there. 

I'm currently using Gods of Grip Tlaloc gripper which is just under a COC 0.5.

Going to be getting some COC grippers soon. with my ultimate goal to close a #3 COC

Past 7 years ive been doing different martial arts including Sambo and BJJ, and ive been on and off general strength training for about the same time. Looking to smash some goals in 2021!!

8 hours ago, Dbollar said:

Evening all!
New to serious gripping but starting overseas while being stuck in a room for a year. Me and a few friends made games out of a CoC Trainer to see how long we could hold a quarter. At that time I think the best we could do was 2-3 minutes. Actually ended up buying a complete set of CoC just to leave at work and use here and there. Can rep a 1.5 currently and would like to work up to the 3. The 4 sits on the rack just to humble others that question how hard grippers can be hah! I have read through this forum a bit and have since made a hockey puck to mimic the hub, a set of coins for key pinching, picked up a loading pin, and ordered the flask since I sold all my Olympic flat weights 🤧. Gonna start messing around with the beginner workout that was listed in the forum.

Welcome everyone!  

Here's to a great 2021!

Hey folks, just getting back into grip training this year after 10 years off. My goals are to certify on the #3, first and foremost, then knock out the Crushed to Dust certification lifts. Current bests are 6 MMS reps on COC 2.5 and 1 rep TNS on the COC 2 righty.  I've hit an MMS double lefty with the COC 2.5. I train pinch and thickbar as an afterthought now (in addition to training my whole body for health and strength) but will switch that around after the #3 cert. Nice to meet you all!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rphilton said:

Hey folks, just getting back into grip training this year after 10 years off. My goals are to certify on the #3, first and foremost, then knock out the Crushed to Dust certification lifts. Current bests are 6 MMS reps on COC 2.5 and 1 rep TNS on the COC 2 righty.  I've hit an MMS double lefty with the COC 2.5. I train pinch and thickbar as an afterthought now (in addition to training my whole body for health and strength) but will switch that around after the #3 cert. Nice to meet you all!

Hey nice to meet you. I am also working towards the #3 cert. Looks like your off to a good start. Are you going to start a training log here? Good luck on the #3 cert I’m sure you will get there.

14 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Hey nice to meet you. I am also working towards the #3 cert. Looks like your off to a good start. Are you going to start a training log here? Good luck on the #3 cert I’m sure you will get there.

Hi Nuttgens, I'm debating it. I ran 4 phases of RRBT over the winter and will post those logs in that forum. Right now I train grippers every other day. One day is MMS closes, the other TNS. I do 6 work sets alternating between high reps with the 2.5 and singles/attempts with a filed #2.5 and an HG300 (which I still can't close). TNS day is basically the same but obviously lighter grippers. I finish with high rep pinch, thickbar, wrist, and band extensor work. All this is in the middle of a full body workout.

Your log is one that I follow though, for sure. You're a ways ahead of me. I'm still in the phase where the #3 feels like a brick. Hoping that hitting 10+ reps on the #2.5 will change that.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rphilton said:

Hi Nuttgens, I'm debating it. I ran 4 phases of RRBT over the winter and will post those logs in that forum. Right now I train grippers every other day. One day is MMS closes, the other TNS. I do 6 work sets alternating between high reps with the 2.5 and singles/attempts with a filed #2.5 and an HG300 (which I still can't close). TNS day is basically the same but obviously lighter grippers. I finish with high rep pinch, thickbar, wrist, and band extensor work. All this is in the middle of a full body workout.

Your log is one that I follow though, for sure. You're a ways ahead of me. I'm still in the phase where the #3 feels like a brick. Hoping that hitting 10+ reps on the #2.5 will change that.

Best of luck to you.

Nice man, that looks pretty solid. Good luck to you I think you’ll be closing your #3 pretty soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, 

my name is Alex, 32 from Germany. I'm quite new to grip training. I got a used CoC #1 & #2 from a buddy of mine a few months back. And to be honest, I haven't bee using them since. But since all gyms closed down due to the pandemic here in Germany, I've started to focus on rather "unusual things" to train. Farmer's walks with kegs, pushing cars, chopping all of my neighbour's wood etc. etc. And I noticed that my grip wasn't that good. That's when I started to use the CoC grippers on a regular bases and kept looking for other grip related training methods.

I started to train with grippers a few weeks back. Currently I can close the CoC#1 quite easily for 3-4 Sets of 10-15 reps on each hand. & CoC#2 for 2-3 reps on each hand. I've also picked up the IronMind Expand-your-Hand-Bands and build me some DIY wrist rollers and a plate loading pin to train with.
I'd like to close the CoC #3 this year, but since I have no real experience in grip training, I do not know if that's realistic and how long it takes to be able to close it. 
But to put it in a nutshell ... Grip Training is a lot of fun for me and I'm glad I've found this forum.

Cheers