NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Good evening, I guess I should introduce myself, specially given the fact I've been using this forum for months and never gave any clue about myself. 

I come from South America. My favorite toys are these things called Hand Grippers. I train four different sports, but won't give any further details about that because I'm here just for the hand grippers. 

I have a small collection of grippers from different countries including the USA, Russia, and China. I've also recycled the handles from some generic chinese Hand Grippers, combining them with torsion springs designed by me and manufactured at a south american spring factory, so I guess South America also counts. 

and that's all I have to say. 

I wish you all guys the best with your grip training. Best regards, Nikola.

Do I count as a new member if I joined in 2005?  Haha I was 19, never introduced myself and have never posted, just been lurking ever since.  Figured it's time to get serious chasing down a #3 and I'm probably going to start a workout log, might as well introduce myself first.

Decent background of strength:  570 contest deadlift, 300lb clean, worked as a college strength coach for a while.   That being said relatively smaller guy (~5'8" and 175lbish) and while my grip is stronger than most people I know, it struggles compared to some of you freaks haha.  With a very deep set right now can close a CPW hybrid rated at 115 for a few reps.  Aiming to close my #3 rated at 139, with any set possible.  

Edited by hareboll
clarification
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, SpearBearer said:

Hello everyone. My name is Treson and I'm 18 years old, 5'6 and 145lb. I grew up in a small town and was always active. My dad left when I was 3 and was always in prison. He died of a heart attack at 32. He was a strong man. He had  muscular dystrophy but that didn't stop him from working out. The last letter I got from him was him talking to me about his working out in prison. That really started my drive for fitness. Specially grip strength and old-time strongman. No sob story here just my info on how I started. 

I'm interested in as I said before grip, and old-time strongman. I like the old time strongmen because some of them were shorter and weighed around me with very impressive lifts. So it's nice seeing something I can aspire to be. 

What I'm looking for out of this board is to learn more about unconventional grip strength and lifts, and I found the speciality of the grip board to be very handy. No pun intended. I have no questions now but when I do I know I can trust you guys. Thanks for adding me in.

Welcome @SpearBearer!

On 2/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, nimar1994 said:

Good evening, I guess I should introduce myself, specially given the fact I've been using this forum for months and never gave any clue about myself. 

I come from South America. My favorite toys are these things called Hand Grippers. I train four different sports, but won't give any further details about that because I'm here just for the hand grippers. 

I have a small collection of grippers from different countries including the USA, Russia, and China. I've also recycled the handles from some generic chinese Hand Grippers, combining them with torsion springs designed by me and manufactured at a south american spring factory, so I guess South America also counts. 

and that's all I have to say. 

I wish you all guys the best with your grip training. Best regards, Nikola.

Welcome @nimar1994!

On 2/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, hareboll said:

Do I count as a new member if I joined in 2005?  Haha I was 19, never introduced myself and have never posted, just been lurking ever since.  Figured it's time to get serious chasing down a #3 and I'm probably going to start a workout log, might as well introduce myself first.

Decent background of strength:  570 contest deadlift, 300lb clean, worked as a college strength coach for a while.   That being said relatively smaller guy (~5'8" and 175lbish) and while my grip is stronger than most people I know, it struggles compared to some of you freaks haha.  With a very deep set right now can close a CPW hybrid rated at 115 for a few reps.  Aiming to close my #3 rated at 139, with any set possible.  

Welcome @hareboll!

• Like 2

Hey there!

My name is David, 21, and I'm from Spain. I work as a welder for a local company. It's been a long time since my last English lesson, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes in my spelling 😆. (Please feel free to correct them if any).

Alright, now a bit of my background: I've been always a very active person, although I never liked any specific sport. Maybe I wasn't prepared for them, maybe they weren't for me, but what I enjoyed the most was simply climbing, climbing a tree, a rope, some brick walls, etc, but that activity ramped down as I started highschool and after that some professional schools of mechatronics and welding, respectively. No good physical activity for about 9 years.

But at this time last year I started weightlifting at a local gym just to relieve some stress, gain muscle and burn fat. I had nothing specific in mind, just get fit and stronger for work. That day I weighted 96kg at 174cm. I won't forget how SORE I felt the first month, those 9 years of 'rest' did no good to me 😂😂.

One thing I noticed as time passed by is that no matter what 'pull' excercise I was doing that my grip just won't give up (except for farmer walks or any other grip-specific excercise), neither rack pulls, lat pulldowns, etc. At that time I was watching Jujimufu's videos on YouTube and I got really inspired!

I thought "maybe I could focus on developing a decent grip strength and some good size forearms", and that's just what I did when I turned 21 on 15th October last year, so I bought some weight plates, a pound of chalk, some grippers from Ironmind and Robert Baraban, a TTK and a hub again from Ironmind, and a 3" pinch block from GripGenie. I made myself a 60mm rolling handle, a loading pin, a 50mm pinch block and some less known grip implements. When I started grip training I could lift 52.5 kg on the rolling handle, 18.25 kg on the 3" block, 11 kg on the hub and could close a CoC#1 and a RB130 with a parallel set with great effort.

Last week I weighted 75.4 kg, I lifted 62.5 kg on the rolling handle, 30kg on the 3" block, 21 kg on the hub, and closed a CoC#2.5 (not rated, sorry) and a RB210 with parallel set and a RB160 with a credit card set.

So long this is my actual status, my nearest goal is to close the CoC#3 with CCS and hopefully get certified! 😊

I feel lucky to have found such a big and diverse grip community where I can share my experiences and learn how I can get better at what I think is the sport or discipline that I like the most.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:14 PM, Kandai said:

Hello everyone. My name is Kandai. I’m from Japan, 23 years old, 5ft 7 (172cm) and weigh 169lbs (77kg). 

I’ve been lifting for 4-5 years now. I’ve always been fascinated with grip strength but never trained for it seriously. 

I’ve arm wrestled on and off for about 2 years. I can close the CoC#2 with just my right hand. And I’m mainly training with kettlebells right now trying to dominate the 32kg.

My goal is to develop a well rounded and respectable grip strength. I want to start with closing the CoC#2.5 and getting in to nail bending. (Planning to buy Jedd Johnson’s ebook and IM’s bag of nails)

I want to meet people with similar interests and goals and expand my knowledge of grip through this forum. 

Hi Kandai, my name is David and I'm from Spain. I think we're pretty close in terms of age, weight, height, and goals. I'm 21, 174 cm tall, and weigh 75.4 kg. I've never armwrestled as you did and have been lifting for a bit more than a year. I can already close the CoC#2.5 (not rated, sorry) with a parallel set, so my next goal is to close it with a credit card set.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, DavidG98 said:

Hey there!

My name is David, 21, and I'm from Spain. I work as a welder for a local company. It's been a long time since my last English lesson, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes in my spelling 😆. (Please feel free to correct them if any).

Alright, now a bit of my background: I've been always a very active person, although I never liked any specific sport. Maybe I wasn't prepared for them, maybe they weren't for me, but what I enjoyed the most was simply climbing, climbing a tree, a rope, some brick walls, etc, but that activity ramped down as I started highschool and after that some professional schools of mechatronics and welding, respectively. No good physical activity for about 9 years.

But at this time last year I started weightlifting at a local gym just to relieve some stress, gain muscle and burn fat. I had nothing specific in mind, just get fit and stronger for work. That day I weighted 96kg at 174cm. I won't forget how SORE I felt the first month, those 9 years of 'rest' did no good to me 😂😂.

One thing I noticed as time passed by is that no matter what 'pull' excercise I was doing that my grip just won't give up (except for farmer walks or any other grip-specific excercise), neither rack pulls, lat pulldowns, etc. At that time I was watching Jujimufu's videos on YouTube and I got really inspired!

I thought "maybe I could focus on developing a decent grip strength and some good size forearms", and that's just what I did when I turned 21 on 15th October last year, so I bought some weight plates, a pound of chalk, some grippers from Ironmind and Robert Baraban, a TTK and a hub again from Ironmind, and a 3" pinch block from GripGenie. I made myself a 60mm rolling handle, a loading pin, a 50mm pinch block and some less known grip implements. When I started grip training I could lift 52.5 kg on the rolling handle, 18.25 kg on the 3" block, 11 kg on the hub and could close a CoC#1 and a RB130 with a parallel set with great effort.

Last week I weighted 75.4 kg, I lifted 62.5 kg on the rolling handle, 30kg on the 3" block, 21 kg on the hub, and closed a CoC#2.5 (not rated, sorry) and a RB210 with parallel set and a RB160 with a credit card set.

So long this is my actual status, my nearest goal is to close the CoC#3 with CCS and hopefully get certified! 😊

I feel lucky to have found such a big and diverse grip community where I can share my experiences and learn how I can get better at what I think is the sport or discipline that I like the most.

Welcome @DavidG98 !

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.   I figured I should join a forum regarding grip strength. I have never tested my grip before but kind of always new it was pretty strong. Grew up on a farm, and racing quads and dirt bikes, so If my grip failed me I would have been in trouble. Recently found a old wooden handled gripper (Everlast) that I started trying and found it was wayyy to weak so I went on Amazon and ordered a set. Set came with 150,200,250 and I closed them all first time without knowing how to set it in my hand. After playing with them for awhile I ordered a coc3 and finally after Impatiently waiting it arrived last week. First try about 1/8" inch away from full close. Second try after watching a video on how to set it I closed the coc 3. I'm 6'3 and 240 pounds. Have been powerlifting/weight training for 12 years. I'm a oilfield mechanic by trade. My goals are to close the coc 3.5. Will post a video up soon. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cfraser said:

Second try after watching a video on how to set it I closed the coc 3.

😲

Hello everyone, I am turning 30 this October and my grip goal right now is to certify on the CoC3 at some point while I am 30.

I train strongman mainly but I have a dedicated grip day and a separate grippers day. I usually space them out at least 4 days apart and when I train grip I do Hub static holds. then I move on to heavy triples on the RGT and I will usually finish off with fat grip dumbbell holds to failure with weight usually around 50% of my RGT number.

When I train grippers I do 3 sets of 10 reps of very concentrated CCS closes with my GG2, followed by reps with my GG3 till I hit failure or 10, if I hit 10 in more than one set I will move on to my challenge gripper which was a GG4 rated at 114, but I closed that in the last session that I trained. I have 3 more grippers with ratings that should be arriving soon, 2 HG 250's and 1 HG 300 but I also have a 142 GG5 that I can barely move past parallel in a deep set but I can sweep it to parallel with a CCS set.

I have not been training very long but I pick things up quickly, and I plan to absorb as much as I can from everyone here and maybe provide a few laughs while I'm here.

My background in grip is strange, I have really good wrist stability from punching a heavy bag without gloves for about 3 years, and have never hurt my wrist punching anything since. My finger strength comes from cleaning jobs and fingertip push ups. I also play Disc Golf which you try and resist the disc flying out of your hand, its a different kind of finger strength but it does really strengthen the tendons.

As a general rule I am always open to being critiqued on anything I post, I freely accept any advice and will try to objectively consider all of it.

Edited by Clayton Gripslee
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clayton Gripslee said:

When I train grippers I do 3 sets of 10 reps of very concentrated CCS closes with my GG2, followed by reps with my GG3 till I hit failure or 10, if I hit 10 in more than one set I will move on to my challenge gripper which was a GG4 rated at 114, but I closed that in the last session that I trained. I have 3 more grippers with ratings that should be arriving soon, 2 HG 250's and 1 HG 300 but I also have a 142 GG5 that I can barely move past parallel in a deep set but I can sweep it to parallel with a CCS set.

Hi!  Welcome. Great start here. Your strongman base is going to serve you well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I should introduce myself. My names Brandon, I'm 38 living in Napa, CA. After years of competitive sports and powerlifting I took a hiatus for a few years and now I'm back with a new found passion for old time strength feats, stone lifting, and grip training. My grip numbers aren't all that impressive, I've only closed the CoC #2, currently training the CoC #2.5 for silver bullet. Was scheduled for my first armlifting competition on 3/28, but that event was cancelled due to armageddon. I'm still growing my home gym and I'm also always open to feedback on form, training routines, etc. My long term goals... lift the Inch Dumbell, pinch lift 2 45's, and get certified on the CoC #3. Other than that I just want to have fun... and i'm having more fun now with my training than ever! I love the friendliness and helpfulness of the grip community!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 1:19 PM, Cfraser said:

Hey all.   I figured I should join a forum regarding grip strength. I have never tested my grip before but kind of always new it was pretty strong. Grew up on a farm, and racing quads and dirt bikes, so If my grip failed me I would have been in trouble. Recently found a old wooden handled gripper (Everlast) that I started trying and found it was wayyy to weak so I went on Amazon and ordered a set. Set came with 150,200,250 and I closed them all first time without knowing how to set it in my hand. After playing with them for awhile I ordered a coc3 and finally after Impatiently waiting it arrived last week. First try about 1/8" inch away from full close. Second try after watching a video on how to set it I closed the coc 3. I'm 6'3 and 240 pounds. Have been powerlifting/weight training for 12 years. I'm a oilfield mechanic by trade. My goals are to close the coc 3.5. Will post a video up soon. 

Welcome @Cfraser !

On 3/11/2020 at 5:56 PM, Clayton Gripslee said:

Hello everyone, I am turning 30 this October and my grip goal right now is to certify on the CoC3 at some point while I am 30.

I train strongman mainly but I have a dedicated grip day and a separate grippers day. I usually space them out at least 4 days apart and when I train grip I do Hub static holds. then I move on to heavy triples on the RGT and I will usually finish off with fat grip dumbbell holds to failure with weight usually around 50% of my RGT number.

I have not been training very long but I pick things up quickly, and I plan to absorb as much as I can from everyone here and maybe provide a few laughs while I'm here.

My background in grip is strange, I have really good wrist stability from punching a heavy bag without gloves for about 3 years, and have never hurt my wrist punching anything since. My finger strength comes from cleaning jobs and fingertip push ups. I also play Disc Golf which you try and resist the disc flying out of your hand, its a different kind of finger strength but it does really strengthen the tendons.

As a general rule I am always open to being critiqued on anything I post, I freely accept any advice and will try to objectively consider all of it.

Welcome @Clayton Gripslee !

• Like 2

Hi, my name is Jon.  I am 40 years old.  6’ 4” 205 lbs.  I usually try to work some hypertrophy forearm training into my arm days, but haven’t been very intentional about grip training until recently.  I got Napalm’s NIghtmare for Christmas from my wife and try to use it once a week or so.  Still pretty weak on it at around 225 lbs or so, but going up pretty steadily.  I took the COC’s and GHP’s out of the moth balls recently (last few weeks).   At first I couldn’t close the #2.  Then, yesterday I followed the advice on this board about setting, chalk, and warm up, and closed the #2 twice and almost got a third!  Then, I tried the GHP 5 and closed it!  Super exciting stuff.  Now I am looking for an intermediate goal between the 2 and 2.5 COC and the 5 and 6 GHP.  But I can ask that in a different post.  

My goals are first, two certify on the COC Crushed to Dust.  Eventually, I want to be able to pinch 2 45’s.  I am also interested in becoming stronger in arm wrestling so I can beat my buddies. :)

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Jman 101 said:

Hi, my name is Jon.  I am 40 years old.  6’ 4” 205 lbs.  I usually try to work some hypertrophy forearm training into my arm days, but haven’t been very intentional about grip training until recently.  I got Napalm’s NIghtmare for Christmas from my wife and try to use it once a week or so.  Still pretty weak on it at around 225 lbs or so, but going up pretty steadily.  I took the COC’s and GHP’s out of the moth balls recently (last few weeks).   At first I couldn’t close the #2.  Then, yesterday I followed the advice on this board about setting, chalk, and warm up, and closed the #2 twice and almost got a third!  Then, I tried the GHP 5 and closed it!  Super exciting stuff.  Now I am looking for an intermediate goal between the 2 and 2.5 COC and the 5 and 6 GHP.  But I can ask that in a different post.  

My goals are first, two certify on the COC Crushed to Dust.  Eventually, I want to be able to pinch 2 45’s.  I am also interested in becoming stronger in arm wrestling so I can beat my buddies. :)

Welcome @Jman 101!

• Like 1

Hi, my name is Alex.

I've been grip training for about two-three months now. I got interested in grip after trying some noname grippers. After a month of sqeezing them every time I wanted, I tried to close #1.5 - that was succesfull ;). Then I bought COC #1.5, #2 and #2.5. Also I bought some goods for armlifting - blocks, hub, crusher, and grip machine. Now my first goal is to close #2 for a few reps at least and to attain some good lifts with blocks, crusher etc...

very glad to find the board - a lot of good stuff there!

23 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

Hi, my name is Alex.

I've been grip training for about two-three months now. I got interested in grip after trying some noname grippers. After a month of sqeezing them every time I wanted, I tried to close #1.5 - that was succesfull ;). Then I bought COC #1.5, #2 and #2.5. Also I bought some goods for armlifting - blocks, hub, crusher, and grip machine. Now my first goal is to close #2 for a few reps at least and to attain some good lifts with blocks, crusher etc...

very glad to find the board - a lot of good stuff there!

Welcome @Alex0204!

13 hours ago, Chris921 said:

Hi all chris here. 😊 look forward to joining 

Welcome @Chris921!

Hello everyone.  Doug from VA, USA here.  Not a big guy but I'd like some big guy strength in my hands.  I guess they're reasonably strong for never having trained and only weighing about 180 lbs.  I'd played with some grip stuff briefly in the past but never gave it much energy and moved on pretty quickly.  Frankly, now that I'm stuck at a desk during quarantine, I'm pulling out the grippers to keep myself from going mad.  Trying to contain my excitement and NOT use them everyday.  I'll be keeping a log here as well, if anyone is interested in checking that out periodically and giving me some incentive to be accountable!  See you on the boards!

3 minutes ago, VirginiaDoug said:

Hello everyone.  Doug from VA, USA here.  Not a big guy but I'd like some big guy strength in my hands.  I guess they're reasonably strong for never having trained and only weighing about 180 lbs.  I'd played with some grip stuff briefly in the past but never gave it much energy and moved on pretty quickly.  Frankly, now that I'm stuck at a desk during quarantine, I'm pulling out the grippers to keep myself from going mad.  Trying to contain my excitement and NOT use them everyday.  I'll be keeping a log here as well, if anyone is interested in checking that out periodically and giving me some incentive to be accountable!  See you on the boards!

Welcome @VirginiaDoug!

Hello , I am French and I come from Paris. I discovered the grippers 3 months ago and my girlfriend offered me captain of crush grippers (T,1,2, 2.5 and 3). I started training two months ago now and I am focusing on long series with CCS reps because that is what I prefer at the moment. My goal would be to achieve 10 CCS repetitions with the coc 3...I hope this day will come!

Edited by Maiche 25

new member been training grip for 1.5 years. i am actually looking to buy a half 110 legacy blob.  i can currently lift the half 100 with 3 pound attached.  if anyone is looking to sell a half 110 legacy blob let me know thanks.

My name Jay, I live just north of Albany NY.  Been training CoC grippers on and off for a few years but just started taking it seriously.  I have T through 4 CoC grippers and I've closed up to 2.5... really close to closing the 3.  I just started training with a 2" axle, Rolling Thunder, Hub, and Block.

My goal is to complete the Ironmind Crushed to Dust Challenge.  I've got the CoC #2 and the 45 pound Hub, but I'm only at 135 pound (of 200) for Rolling Thunder. So my main goal right now is to get a training program together to add 65 pounds to my Rolling Thunder lift.  Closing the CoC 3 would be pretty awesome too, but I'm focusing on rolling thunder right now.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:33 AM, Maiche 25 said:
Hello , I am French and I come from Paris. I discovered the grippers 3 months ago and my girlfriend offered me captain of crush grippers (T,1,2, 2.5 and 3). I started training two months ago now and I am focusing on long series with CCS reps because that is what I prefer at the moment. My goal would be to achieve 10 CCS repetitions with the coc 3...I hope this day will come!

Welcome @Maiche 25 !

18 hours ago, jasondd said:

My name Jay, I live just north of Albany NY.  Been training CoC grippers on and off for a few years but just started taking it seriously.  I have T through 4 CoC grippers and I've closed up to 2.5... really close to closing the 3.  I just started training with a 2" axle, Rolling Thunder, Hub, and Block.

My goal is to complete the Ironmind Crushed to Dust Challenge.  I've got the CoC #2 and the 45 pound Hub, but I'm only at 135 pound (of 200) for Rolling Thunder. So my main goal right now is to get a training program together to add 65 pounds to my Rolling Thunder lift.  Closing the CoC 3 would be pretty awesome too, but I'm focusing on rolling thunder right now.

Welcome @jasondd !

Hello. My name is Yuriy. My second - Khusnijarov. My Fathers name- Arcadiy. People call me Yuriy Arcadievich. I m from Russia. I was born in Rostov on Don. But many time, about 18 years I live in Kaukazus Republic- Adygea. My strong is- fortitude.

8 hours ago, Yriy Khusnijarov said:

Hello. My name is Yuriy. My second - Khusnijarov. My Fathers name- Arcadiy. People call me Yuriy Arcadievich. I m from Russia. I was born in Rostov on Don. But many time, about 18 years I live in Kaukazus Republic- Adygea. My strong is- fortitude.

Welcome @Yriy Khusnijarov !