NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Names Tim I'm 28yrs old 6' 195lbs and relatively new to specific grip training. My current goal is to certify on the COC#3. As of right now I can close the number 2 for reps and am down to about 1cm of closing the 2.5 with both hands. I have been trying some other types of grip work like plate pinches and such but almost all of my training revolves around the grippers. I'd love to hear from someone that's been down this road who can give me some advice on anything that can help me get this certification. 

4 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

Names Tim I'm 28yrs old 6' 195lbs and relatively new to specific grip training. My current goal is to certify on the COC#3. As of right now I can close the number 2 for reps and am down to about 1cm of closing the 2.5 with both hands. I have been trying some other types of grip work like plate pinches and such but almost all of my training revolves around the grippers. I'd love to hear from someone that's been down this road who can give me some advice on anything that can help me get this certification. 

Welcome!  And I would also like any advice that can help me get that certification lol.  Seriously though, it is harder than it sounds (and it sounds hard).  The gap from 2 to 2.5 is pretty big, as you can already see, and the gap between 2.5 and 3 is also that big.  Add to that the fact that you have to do the close with a pretty wide set, passing a credit card through it yourself before closing it, and using an unknown gripper just out of the package (which could be harder than the average number 3 if you are unlucky, since there is a range of difficulty even among the same number gripper).  And you have to do this on demand on the date the judge is sent to you to do it.  So basically, before going to the trouble of getting a judge lined up, you pretty much have to be able to slam shut even a pretty tough number 3 almost without setting it.

I have been pursuing this quest actively for six months, but really for about two years.  During the first year and a half, I went from just barely being able to close a COC 2 (rated 107, if the CPW ratings mean anything to you) to just barely being able to close a COC 2.5 (rated 132).  In the last six months, with more regular effort but also being closer to my maximum ability (I'm only 5'6, 175 pounds), I have improved to just barely closing an easy-ish COC 3 (rated 148; an average 3 is about 150). I own a COC 3 rated 150 and one rated 153, neither of which I have ever been able to close.  At this point I feel close to my limit, but until I can authoritatively close my 153-rated COC 3 (with a credit card set, and making the handles click!), I would not bother arranging for a cert attempt.  It seems tantalizing close after the gains I have previously made, but there is a reason not that many people cert -- it is very hard to make those last gains!

Anyway, perhaps the better advice will come from those who have already done it, and one of the reasons I am offering my tidbits on your thread is I would also like to see the replies that you (and now I) get.  I intend to keep pressing for my cert, at least for one more year to my 50th birthday.  Then I will re-evaluate whether to keep at it or turn to more promising goals.  I hope that in your journey to cert, you discover the wealth of other fun grip-related stuff you can do, as I have.  Whether or not I ever cert, what I have learned on this forum and from the people I have met here has enriched my life and my health.

Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

Welcome!

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Welcome!  And I would also like any advice that can help me get that certification lol.  Seriously though, it is harder than it sounds (and it sounds hard).  The gap from 2 to 2.5 is pretty big, as you can already see, and the gap between 2.5 and 3 is also that big.  Add to that the fact that you have to do the close with a pretty wide set, passing a credit card through it yourself before closing it, and using an unknown gripper just out of the package (which could be harder than the average number 3 if you are unlucky, since there is a range of difficulty even among the same number gripper).  And you have to do this on demand on the date the judge is sent to you to do it.  So basically, before going to the trouble of getting a judge lined up, you pretty much have to be able to slam shut even a pretty tough number 3 almost without setting it.

I have been pursuing this quest actively for six months, but really for about two years.  During the first year and a half, I went from just barely being able to close a COC 2 (rated 107, if the CPW ratings mean anything to you) to just barely being able to close a COC 2.5 (rated 132).  In the last six months, with more regular effort but also being closer to my maximum ability (I'm only 5'6, 175 pounds), I have improved to just barely closing an easy-ish COC 3 (rated 148; an average 3 is about 150). I own a COC 3 rated 150 and one rated 153, neither of which I have ever been able to close.  At this point I feel close to my limit, but until I can authoritatively close my 153-rated COC 3 (with a credit card set, and making the handles click!), I would not bother arranging for a cert attempt.  It seems tantalizing close after the gains I have previously made, but there is a reason not that many people cert -- it is very hard to make those last gains!

Anyway, perhaps the better advice will come from those who have already done it, and one of the reasons I am offering my tidbits on your thread is I would also like to see the replies that you (and now I) get.  I intend to keep pressing for my cert, at least for one more year to my 50th birthday.  Then I will re-evaluate whether to keep at it or turn to more promising goals.  I hope that in your journey to cert, you discover the wealth of other fun grip-related stuff you can do, as I have.  Whether or not I ever cert, what I have learned on this forum and from the people I have met here has enriched my life and my health.

Cheers!

What an awesome reply to my post. I'm still making progress because I have only been training grip for a pretty short period and actually lastnight came within the thickness of a credit card with my right hand on the 2.5 and about 1cm on the left. So that's nice to see the progress, but I'd love to talk to guys about training. As of now I'm hitting grippers twice a week and if my elbows are feeling a little off only one hard time with maybe a light gripper session later in the week. 

• Like 1

Hello, my name is John Oka and I'm new to the grip game. I live on Maui, which gripsport does not exist. I started grip training for rehabilitation from Carpel tunnel surgery. 

I'm on IG as Jokabug. Always posting progress on surgery rehab and getting others involved in the grip sport.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, John Oka said:

Hello, my name is John Oka and I'm new to the grip game. I live on Maui, which gripsport does not exist. I started grip training for rehabilitation from Carpel tunnel surgery. 

I'm on IG as Jokabug. Always posting progress on surgery rehab and getting others involved in the grip sport.

You forgot to mention you are a maker and have a pretty respectable blob/block weight collection.  

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, John Oka said:

Welcome!  Get well soon!

9 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

I need a grip training partner. Anyone know a post covering this they can lead me to?

Welcome and you may can try the members map to see if there’s anyone in your area.  I know for the most of us we are pretty spread out and just have to communicate with each other online.  There are some get togethers and competitions through the year so you may be close to one of those which would be good.   Everyone on here is pretty cool and can give you advice and encouragement.  

Not everyone tags their location on the members map. I would start a topic asking if there is anyone in your area who wants to get together for training. I started the movement in my area and got the ny/nj/ct together 

• Like 1

Hey guys I started grip training in 2011 but regrettably lost motivation and stopped about two and a half years ago so I've decided to introduce myself on the gipboard which, I hope, will motivate me to train again.

I could close a COC 2.5 for two reps from a parallel set and close a COC 2 off-hand for a single.

My goal is to close a COC 3 next year.

11 hours ago, Martin Gaisser said:

Welcome and you may can try the members map to see if there’s anyone in your area.  I know for the most of us we are pretty spread out and just have to communicate with each other online.  There are some get togethers and competitions through the year so you may be close to one of those which would be good.   Everyone on here is pretty cool and can give you advice and encouragement.  

Thanks a lot, I know grip training for most people is just getting rid of straps on deadlift in the gym so it's tough to find guys interested in grippers like most of us.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:05 PM, John Oka said:

12 hours ago, Balal said:

Hey guys I started grip training in 2011 but regrettably lost motivation and stopped about two and a half years ago so I've decided to introduce myself on the gipboard which, I hope, will motivate me to train again.

I could close a COC 2.5 for two reps from a parallel set and close a COC 2 off-hand for a single.

My goal is to close a COC 3 next year.

Welcome!

On 5/4/2018 at 10:05 PM, John Oka said:

Welcome!  Good to see you on here. 

Morning everyone.  My name is Rob Jackson from NW Indiana.  I'm 36.  I've been grip training for about 2 years now.  My short term goal is to close the CC2, I'm relatively close now.  My long term goal is to close the CC3 by 2020. 

I do various grip exercises and train around twice a week with the grippers.  I primarily use the CC grippers but have found using heavy gripper easier since my hands are smaller.

I look forward to getting involved in this community. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rise1220 said:

Morning everyone.  My name is Rob Jackson from NW Indiana.  I'm 36.  I've been grip training for about 2 years now.  My short term goal is to close the CC2, I'm relatively close now.  My long term goal is to close the CC3 by 2020. 

I do various grip exercises and train around twice a week with the grippers.  I primarily use the CC grippers but have found using heavy gripper easier since my hands are smaller.

Hi Rob, are grippers all you do Grip wise? Do you do anything else besides grippers? Welcome!

Joe

Welcome!

17 hours ago, Rise1220 said:

Welcome to the GripBoard!  @Rise1220

On 5/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hi Rob, are grippers all you do Grip wise? Do you do anything else besides grippers? Welcome!

Joe

I have been using the grippers exclusively adding in forearm exercises at the gym, such as forearm curls.  I also just purchased the rolling thunder which in pumped about using.  I'm thinking about getting a sledge hammer to train as well.

I have a pinch block that I rarely use.  I am unsure if combining all the different methods will cause over training so I'm taking it slow. 

5 hours ago, Rise1220 said:

I have been using the grippers exclusively adding in forearm exercises at the gym, such as forearm curls.  I also just purchased the rolling thunder which in pumped about using.  I'm thinking about getting a sledge hammer to train as well.

I have a pinch block that I rarely use.  I am unsure if combining all the different methods will cause over training so I'm taking it slow. 

Yes add things in slowly. If you are new and especially haven’t trained with weights you must add grip exercises in periodically until your connective tissue is strong enough to endure. Once it is then the sky is the limit.

9 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes add things in slowly. If you are new and especially haven’t trained with weights you must add grip exercises in periodically until your connective tissue is strong enough to endure. Once it is then the sky is the limit.

What would you suggest?  I was hoping to be past the CC2 by now, but can't get it to close.   I was thinking it was my diet or something related to how often I train with the grippers or the rep range.   Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Rise1220 said:

What would you suggest?  I was hoping to be past the CC2 by now, but can't get it to close.   I was thinking it was my diet or something related to how often I train with the grippers or the rep range.   Thanks. 

I would pick a thick bar, a pinch and grippers for a bit. I don’t do grippers more than once per week... but I do a lot of things so it’s tough. I enjoy so much of it that I often do too many things at once. I would do pinch one day, thick bar another and grippers another. I would do thick bar Monday , grippers Wednesday and pinch Friday and make sure you drink a lot of water. Grip is very neurologically related. When you are New you also need a lot of rest

There is so much info on this site,  it's unreal.  What rep range do you suggest for the grippers? I was keeping it at 5 or below for my sets. 

My workout looks like this:

Trainer: 1 set,  5 to 8 reps

COC .5: 1 set,  5 reps

COC 1: 1 set,  5 reps

COC 1.5: 1 set,  1-2 reps 

I will usually throw in the heavy grippers 200 at the end for 1 set of 5 reps.   I can close it fairly easy with my hands being smaller.  

Thanks for any guidance as this board is filled with alot of accomplished athletes in the gripping game. 

Hey guys, my name is Robert, I'm 25 and started seriously grip training about two weeks ago with some coc grippers I had laying around. I'm maybe 2 or 3 millimeters (0.1 inches) off of closing the #3, I think I still have a lot to improve on my technique as doing a credit card close on the 2.5 for example is somehow harder for me than a close from the fully open position with the other hand not really involved at all. If I feel like I still have some room to grow after the #3, I might attempt to go for the #3.5 if the training would not take too much time out of my life, we'll see.

I hope I can get certified in a couple of months by posting a video because I don't think there are a lot of people who could get me certified in person in Hungary. 

6 hours ago, drwm said:

Hey guys, my name is Robert, I'm 25 and started seriously grip training about two weeks ago with some coc grippers I had laying around. I'm maybe 2 or 3 millimeters (0.1 inches) off of closing the #3, I think I still have a lot to improve on my technique as doing a credit card close on the 2.5 for example is somehow harder for me than a close from the fully open position with the other hand not really involved at all. If I feel like I still have some room to grow after the #3, I might attempt to go for the #3.5 if the training would not take too much time out of my life, we'll see.

I hope I can get certified in a couple of months by posting a video because I don't think there are a lot of people who could get me certified in person in Hungary. 

Welcome @drwm !