NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Thanks guys!

I'm learning already. Turns out I was setting the gripper too far back in my hand. After a bit if experimentation with placement, I was able to close the gripper 3 times in each hand. I'm sure I could do more if I warmed up better too.

Hello everyone, pleased to meet you. I'm 37 6' tall 300 lbs I am a heavyweight strongman competitor. I also am a tacky manufacturer for atlas stones. I have been consistently closing a coc#3 for 8 years. I am working on focusing more on my grip training and finally coming close to doing a coc #3.5. I would like to spend more time on grip than wearing my hands out at work so looking for a desk job lol. In the meantime I find the discussions here informative and motivational.  Therefore I joined and would love to become a part of the community here. Thank you 

On 2/1/2018 at 7:44 AM, Ed London said:

Hi everyone, 

After reading various (and always informative) posts on here I felt it was time to get more involved.

Really starting to enjoy my grip training and have begun to focus more and more on it as an end objective.  I'm also trying a bit of bending having got the starter kit from David Horne. 

My goal at the moment is to close a CoC 2.5 and develop a decent technique at reverse bending. 

Ed

@Ed London and @TheStoneMangler - Welcome!

Hi everybody, could I ask all new members to add themselves on the members map? Thanks!

Hey folks - I started off with the T, 1, 1.5 grippers a few years ago.  Used to keep them in my car and use them during my long commute. Raced hare scrambles for years which helped with grip, also.  Enjoy racing OCRs now.  I've been training grip more seriously for about 1-1.5yrs now.  I've closed the 2.5 and GHP6.  Working on the RB280N and hopefully onward to a 151# IM3. Finally worked up to ripping a whole deck of cards.  Try to mix it up with lots of different work like plate pinch, SH levers/rotations/walks, pinching DB heads, wrist curls, rope climbing, etc.  Really enjoying the process and making gains.  Otherwise train mostly calisthenics with DBs and KBs thrown in.  Thanks for having me!

Edited by tached
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tached said:

Hey folks - I started off with the T, 1, 1.5 grippers a few years ago.  Used to keep them in my car and use them during my long commute. Raced hare scrambles for years which helped with grip, also.  Enjoy racing OCRs now.  I've been training grip more seriously for about 1-1.5yrs now.  I've closed the 2.5 and GHP6.  Working on the RB280N and hopefully onward to a 151# IM3. Finally worked up to ripping a whole deck of cards.  Try to mix it up with lots of different work like plate pinch, SH levers/rotations/walks, pinching DB heads, wrist curls, rope climbing, etc.  Really enjoying the process and making gains.  Otherwise train mostly calisthenics with DBs and KBs thrown in.  Thanks for having me!

@tached Welcome!

4 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

Hi. My name is reese larkins. I starting all around grip training back in 2010. Grippers, pinch, thunder etc.. I ended up stopping for many years due to medical conditions. Have just recently got back into training, specifically bending this last Sept. I bent my first red nail around december last year and am now taking it more seriously then ever. I hope to learn as much as my mind will let me and to contribute to new commers as much as I can. I got into grip because of my anger. I have really bad anger issues and have found that I do well taking out that anger on steel intead of people. Ahah. Well thanks for having me. 

Welcome! @Jlark27

Blue tab at the very top of the forum - Member Map

5 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

Wheres the members map ?

Well.... it was accessible using the tab at the top of the page  https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/membermap/  bit it doesn't seem to be there at the moment?

@Wannagrip is this being fixed? It was pretty useful :)

4 minutes ago, Old Dax said:

Well.... it was accessible using the tab at the top of the page  https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/membermap/  bit it doesn't seem to be there at the moment?

@Wannagrip is this being fixed? It was pretty useful :)

It literally is in big letters at the top of the board. Member Map. Click it. Here is a screen shot of the board at the top.

membermap.jpg

Internet explorer, though I am at work most things I can access, and have seen the map here before. Maybe tied in with a recent M/S update (windows10)?

2 minutes ago, Old Dax said:

Internet explorer, though I am at work most things I can access, and have seen the map here before. Maybe tied in with a recent M/S update (windows10)?

Could be. IE sucks. 

Try again by reloading the page for the board. I just did an upgrade to the Member Map app. Maybe it was a bug. :)

Still nada. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see it on my home computer (still on Vista!)

I knew where it was, hence telling @Jlark27 but when I checked I found I couldn't see it. Hopefully he can and will add himself.

Work computer will probably 'catch up' next week.

4 minutes ago, Old Dax said:

Still nada. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see it on my home computer (still on Vista!)

I knew where it was, hence telling @Jlark27 but when I checked I found I couldn't see it. Hopefully he can and will add himself.

Work computer will probably 'catch up' next week.

Thanks for the heads up. I am pretty sure it is related to it being IE and something missing software wise on your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around on the board for quite a while now and joined a couple of month ago. I finally have the time to introduce myself. I'm 27y, father of three, around 80kg, average strength. I trained grip in the past on/off because my focus was more on powerlifting/gymnastics and other stuff I wanted to try. Because of my kids I am not able to spend that much time in training anymore and because grip sport somehow always fascinated me (especially short steel bending) I give this a - hopefully long - try. Besides grip I train with kettlebells. 

Thanks for a place with so much awesome informations and tips.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 5:36 AM, manost12 said:

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around on the board for quite a while now and joined a couple of month ago. I finally have the time to introduce myself. I'm 27y, father of three, around 80kg, average strength. I trained grip in the past on/off because my focus was more on powerlifting/gymnastics and other stuff I wanted to try. Because of my kids I am not able to spend that much time in training anymore and because grip sport somehow always fascinated me (especially short steel bending) I give this a - hopefully long - try. Besides grip I train with kettlebells. 

Thanks for a place with so much awesome informations and tips.

Welcome! @manost12

• 1 month later...

Hello! 

I was recommended this site after making a post on reddit.com/r/griptraining. 

I’m 27 and just getting into grip training. I can close a 250lbs heavy grips gripper with both hands and struggling to close the 300lbs one. 

I am mainly here for advice about steel bending though. 

I am wondering what bolts I need to pick up from the hardware store to practice and improve. So far I’ve grabbed some random bolts to see what I could do and was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I should get next time I head to he hardware store. 

I have bent 7”, 6” and 5” long 1/4” bolts. They were pretty easy to bend using a double underhand grip, just slightly painful on my virgin hands. That 5/16” bolt at 7” was too hard for me though.

Any help world be greatly appreciated thanks! 

These are the bolts I bent:

DDB041B6-107E-4092-954D-56613BDCFC67.png

CD36F93D-8E83-419C-8A84-384367E08212.png

Hello fellow gripsters,

I've been a member of Gripboard for a month or two now, and I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. 

I got into grip training intermittently throughout the last 8 years or so after witnessing a few feats of strength performed by strongmen at various strength workshops. I was enthralled and decided that it would be something fun to train for. I never gave much thought to exclusively dedicating to grip training; I messed around with powerlifting and strongman for quite awhile. Eventually I reached a crossroads where training became tedious and felt like a chore, so I decided to start training towards something I considered fun and fulfilling: grip training. I've never been one to go about a hobby or training without really investing in it, so I contacted Jedd in August and we've been working together ever since. It's been an absolute blast and I've never had more fun training in my life. 

After a few months in, I decided to really get involved in gripsport and the grip community. Long story short, I decided to compete so I hit the numbers to qualify for grip nationals this year and I'm all in!

I plan on competing regularly at 66kg, as I'm sitting around 150 lbs at the moment. 

Goals I hope to accomplish within the year:

-Double BW axle

-20mm set close with my GHP 7 (#144)

-Elite total @ 66kg (585lbs)

I joined the forum to really immerse in the community and because it's a great source of grip knowledge and content.

I'm new to the game, and I really look forward to my journey into gripping!

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, Nigel Blackburn said:

Hello fellow gripsters,

I've been a member of Gripboard for a month or two now, and I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. 

I got into grip training intermittently throughout the last 8 years or so after witnessing a few feats of strength performed by strongmen at various strength workshops. I was enthralled and decided that it would be something fun to train for. I never gave much thought to exclusively dedicating to grip training; I messed around with powerlifting and strongman for quite awhile. Eventually I reached a crossroads where training became tedious and felt like a chore, so I decided to start training towards something I considered fun and fulfilling: grip training. I've never been one to go about a hobby or training without really investing in it, so I contacted Jedd in August and we've been working together ever since. It's been an absolute blast and I've never had more fun training in my life. 

After a few months in, I decided to really get involved in gripsport and the grip community. Long story short, I decided to compete so I hit the numbers to qualify for grip nationals this year and I'm all in!

I plan on competing regularly at 66kg, as I'm sitting around 150 lbs at the moment. 

-Double BW axle

I joined the forum to really immerse in the community and because it's a great source of grip knowledge and content.

Welcome!  I love when new people join, since I am pretty new here, too, and now I get to feel experienced for a change lol.  Fun new hobby!  I was thinking I'd try to get down to 74K for nationals, but at the rate I am going I had better hope I'm still 83K.  Dang I love food.  See you in June!

-- Vin

P. S.   Incidentally, funny you mentioned the GHP 7, as I had mine that I bought when I started getting into grip last year sitting unopened for months, wondering when I should try it.  So I opened it a few weeks ago after I got MM0, and I couldn't close it right away, but I JUST closed it for the first time last week -- not sure its rating, but I bet not much different from yours (will send to CPW soon to find out).  I went out and bought a digital caliper so I can try it with the set block on video soon.

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Welcome!  I love when new people join, since I am pretty new here, too, and now I get to feel experienced for a change lol.  Fun new hobby!  I was thinking I'd try to get down to 74K for nationals, but at the rate I am going I had better hope I'm still 83K.  Dang I love food.  See you in June!

-- Vin

P. S.   Incidentally, funny you mentioned the GHP 7, as I had mine that I bought when I started getting into grip last year sitting unopened for months, wondering when I should try it.  So I opened it a few weeks ago after I got MM0, and I couldn't close it right away, but I JUST closed it for the first time last week -- not sure its rating, but I bet not much different from yours (will send to CPW soon to find out).  I went out and bought a digital caliper so I can try it with the set block on video soon.

That's awesome, man. Those GHPs are tough

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 6:50 PM, RipsterBolton said:

Hello! 

I was recommended this site after making a post on reddit.com/r/griptraining. 

I’m 27 and just getting into grip training. I can close a 250lbs heavy grips gripper with both hands and struggling to close the 300lbs one. 

I am mainly here for advice about steel bending though. 

I am wondering what bolts I need to pick up from the hardware store to practice and improve. So far I’ve grabbed some random bolts to see what I could do and was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I should get next time I head to he hardware store. 

I have bent 7”, 6” and 5” long 1/4” bolts. They were pretty easy to bend using a double underhand grip, just slightly painful on my virgin hands. That 5/16” bolt at 7” was too hard for me though.

Any help world be greatly appreciated thanks! 

These are the bolts I bent:

DDB041B6-107E-4092-954D-56613BDCFC67.png

CD36F93D-8E83-419C-8A84-384367E08212.png

On 4/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Nigel Blackburn said:

Hello fellow gripsters,

-Double BW axle

Welcome guys!   @Nigel Blackburn @RipsterBolton

RipsterBolton

Those appear to be grade 2 bolts so I would try the grade 5 ones that Jlark27 mentioned.  They are marked with the three dashes on the head.  You could also try some 60d nails.  Get the ones that are smooth not the spiral because those would probably be too easy for you.  Good luck with the bending.  

On 5/4/2004 at 4:59 AM, daniel_lidstrom said:

Hi all, I'm Daniel and I'm 26 years old. I am a former competitive swimmer, now hooked on grip training. I got my first CoC's (1&2) in july 2003. In november 2003 I could finally close the no. 2, and since then I have been more or less stuck with it. On a good day I can close it quite easily, with each hand.

I had been looking for a place to discuss grip training for some time before I came across the gripboard. Once I emailed Randall Strosses, asking him to put a forum on the IM homepage. Guess he wasn't quite familiar with the idea of a forum though.

My very long-term goal is to be able to come at least near at closing the no. 3. Grip training with the CoC's is not the only training I do though, I am just as much into overall training (powerlifting, running, rowing, etc.).

I really enjoy working out with `garage' equipment. I even made my own set of dumbells one summer, out of concrete and paint buckets. Unfortunately they only weigh 15kg and are just too large.

I hope I learn a lot from the gripboard, and get inspired by all the amazing feats by the regulars here. I can't imagine what kind of strength is required for ripping a deck of cards. My pb is 15 cards (and improving :-).

Thanks!