NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

1 minute ago, Chez said:

What a solid addition to the community 😂

Haha, if I'm a reliable source of knowledge and grip equipment, I could be 50% turtle for all it matters!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Haha, if I'm a reliable source of knowledge and grip equipment, I could be 50% turtle for all it matters!

I just found that an hilarious intro. Very to the point haha. You just got another post by responding lol

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Hi, my name is Sean and I'm generally quite into arm wrestling but am also interested in some general grip strength training as well.

I'd like to be able to have access to good information when it comes to arm wrestling and grip training, which is why I chose these forums.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pingtam said:

Hi, my name is Sean and I'm generally quite into arm wrestling but am also interested in some general grip strength training as well.

I'd like to be able to have access to good information when it comes to arm wrestling and grip training, which is why I chose these forums.

Welcome to the club Sean! I started out with reading Mastery of Hand Strength. A big emphasis seemed to be on sports performance, so I'm sure it would be a great supplement to your arm wrestling routine.

21 hours ago, Booze said:

Vinnie - this is going to sound weird, but you look familiar....do you have a youtube video of you closing the 2.5? I have watched a very disturbing amount of gripper videos on there, it’s a bit of an obsession lol, and I’m pretty sure you were in one that I watched

Yes!  It wasn't for any kind of cert purposes, since 2.5 doesn't get you anything, but I was very pleased with my progress and no one I knew at the time gave a crap so I just felt like posting to the electronic ether.  I didn't know about this community at the time.  

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yes!  It wasn't for any kind of cert purposes, since 2.5 doesn't get you anything, but I was very pleased with my progress and no one I knew at the time gave a crap so I just felt like posting to the electronic ether.  I didn't know about this community at the time.  

Lol nice! I was very impressed with the close! I think I had searched something like “captains of crush 2.5”or whatever, and embarked on a path that eventually led to your video. When I saw your avatar pic I paused and was like wait a minute, do I know this guy? Haha. Watching gripper videos on you tube has become one of my favorite past times lol. I was unaware as well something like this existed.  I have a ways to go on the 2.5 though, I’m just now  getting to the point where I can close a 2 from a credit card width.

Edited by Booze
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Booze said:

Lol nice! I was very impressed with the close! I think I had searched something like “captains of crush 2.5”or whatever, and embarked on a path that eventually led to your video. When I saw your avatar pic I paused and was like wait a minute, do I know this guy? Haha. Watching gripper videos on you tube has become one of my favorite past times lol. I was unaware as well something like this existed.  I have a ways to go on the 2.5 though, I’m just now  getting to the point where I can close a 2 from a credit card width.

Thanks!  It took me about 8 months to go from first closing the 2 to first closing the 2.5, and my 3, well, I'm still nowhere near closing that monster.  However, I have recently learned that my 2.5 AND my 3 are both at the very tough end of those grippers' normal ranges -- and I even closed a lighter 3 for the first time recently.  That 3 was rated at 145, and felt very very close in difficulty to my 2.5.  I should have my 2.5 and 3 rated; my 2.5 might well be very close to 140 or even a little more, and my 3, geez, it has to be close to 160.  I have heard that it is possible due to manufacturing variations that a particularly nasty gripper can actually be harder than a very light example of the next model up.  But I'm just starting to see rated grippers, so maybe I don't have a good feel for the significance of the difference of a couple of pounds.  I've asked my wife for a second 2.5 for Christmas because I'm anticipating a lighter one, on which I may be able to do more reps than my current one which I can do only once (even though I can rep my GHP6 3 times and it's supposed to be similar to or harder than a 2.5).  This stuff is really a lot of fun, and it's also making me feel stronger and more health conscious, so win win.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, Ole' Puller said:

Hey everyone .. Glad to be a member of the grip board. As I'm approaching 48 years of age, I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to continue progressing towards some goals I've set for myself of which grippers, and various pinch lifts play a part. I'm into arm wrestling, shot put and grip. I never went pro in either sport but I've had some great years and looking forward to many more. As you get older, your grip is the last to go, and I intend on keeping it that way .. lol! In any event, I look forward to gaining knowledge from you all and sharing any way I can. Currently I'm on a quest to close the COC #3. Right now I can close the 2.5 .. parallel set. My goal is to take a bit of a back step and work on the CC set as this is a requirement for IM certification. I'm doing my research and trying to do things smart .. there's also various pinch lifts, particularly the stub which for whatever reason is very enjoyable whenever I do them! Anyways guys, that's all I've got for now and it's a pleasure to be part of the group . Stay strong and healthy everyone!

I'm 48 also, and I don't feel like my age is a liability at all, actually, because what I've lost as I age seems to be mostly speed and endurance -- but I may be as good as I ever was with respect to pure forearm and hand strength.  What a fun, natural sport for our age.  #crushyouth

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I have been lifting weights for the last 25 years with a moderate amount of strength.  I have read about old time strongmen and physical culture in general.  I find it fascinating.  I used to train grip but forgot all about it.  I look like I am a big guy and was challenged to arm wrestling this past Saturday night.  It was not easy like I wanted it to be.  I was really inspired by Devon Surratt.  He looks like he is an ectomorph and blows the big boys with a smile.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:53 PM, Pingtam said:

20 hours ago, Mitchconner said:

Hey, I have been lifting weights for the last 25 years with a moderate amount of strength.  I have read about old time strongmen and physical culture in general.  I find it fascinating.  I used to train grip but forgot all about it.  I look like I am a big guy and was challenged to arm wrestling this past Saturday night.  It was not easy like I wanted it to be.  I was really inspired by Devon Surratt.  He looks like he is an ectomorph and blows the big boys with a smile.

Welcome guys! @Pingtam @Mitchconner

• 4 weeks later...

Hello my name Is Troy I am 35 with two boys. Igot interested in grip thru the love of armwrestling. I have a few grippers nothing special, I am looking to learn and possibly compete one day. I don't know enough to know which area yet but I hope to soon figure that out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Curly said:

Hello my name Is Troy I am 35 with two boys. Igot interested in grip thru the love of armwrestling. I have a few grippers nothing special, I am looking to learn and possibly compete one day. I don't know enough to know which area yet but I hope to soon figure that out.

Troy, 

Welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of grip strength brother! Any questions I can help you with on anything Grip related will be answered to the best of my ability as I’m sure most others on this forum also feel the same.  We are a pretty tight knit group who are always looking to get new folks involved in this awesome strength discipline! Welcome my man!

Joe Sullivan 

Hi

I have been lifting weights for 14 years. I am 29 and last few years interested more strongman and grip training rather basic gym lifting. Also i do endurance, swim and run. For grip strength i have some problems and setbacks, but gonna still keep working. For now i`m not try to compete or brake records, need grip for daily basics, work and little for fun :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPA said:

Hi

I have been lifting weights for 14 years. I am 29 and last few years interested more strongman and grip training rather basic gym lifting. Also i do endurance, swim and run. For grip strength i have some problems and setbacks, but gonna still keep working. For now i`m not try to compete or brake records, need grip for daily basics, work and little for fun :)

Welcome brother 

Hello,

My name is Francois. I'm married and have one child so far.  I've been interested in Grip for about a year now. Seeing Dennis Rogers on TV got me interested in Grip. From there I became aware of short steel bending, grippers etc. I was always searching on gripboard before i joined. This forum is a great resource and inspiration. I have a long road ahead to get anywhere near you grip masters on this forum. But I'm excited for the journey. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Francois_316 said:

Hello,

My name is Francois. I'm married and have one child so far.  I've been interested in Grip for about a year now. Seeing Dennis Rogers on TV got me interested in Grip. From there I became aware of short steel bending, grippers etc. I was always searching on gripboard before i joined. This forum is a great resource and inspiration. I have a long road ahead to get anywhere near you grip masters on this forum. But I'm excited for the journey. 

Welcome!

• Like 1

Hi all.

A bit about me: I'm 27 years old, 6'3" and 305 pounds. I have a background in martial arts and weight training. My current main goal is to get my weight down to 230 pounds; I am lifting as well, but the cardio and diet come before strength training at the moment.

That being said, I have still seen decent improvement in my strength. I have always trained my grip some in the past (wrist curls and using ropes for pull-downs, mostly), but I recently decided to be more deliberate with my grip training. I just bought my first gripper, a CoC #1, and can close it 2 times with my right hand, and once with my left.

My overarching fitness objective is to improve my ability in martial arts - so my strength training has typically been with larger sets than many prefer, in order to get the endurance I feel I need to perform well. I considered training for strongman, but decided it would clash too much with my martial objectives. I have, however, begun incorporating smaller, heavier sets to round myself out. If I end up doing well with my training, I may become involved in grip sport.

Besides weight loss, my current goals are to run a 6 minute mile (my PR is 7:15, I weighed 220 pounds, and didn't train for that distance), and to close a CoC #3. After exploring my ability in compound lifts, I will likely set goals for the dead lift and squat (I was taught to lift by a bodybuilder, so I've done almost all isolation exercises in the past).

I'm here mostly to learn. And at some point, access to the for sale section on here will probably come in handy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Primitivebeasty said:

Hi all.

A bit about me: I'm 27 years old, 6'3" and 305 pounds. I have a background in martial arts and weight training. My current main goal is to get my weight down to 230 pounds; I am lifting as well, but the cardio and diet come before strength training at the moment.

That being said, I have still seen decent improvement in my strength. I have always trained my grip some in the past (wrist curls and using ropes for pull-downs, mostly), but I recently decided to be more deliberate with my grip training. I just bought my first gripper, a CoC #1, and can close it 2 times with my right hand, and once with my left.

My overarching fitness objective is to improve my ability in martial arts - so my strength training has typically been with larger sets than many prefer, in order to get the endurance I feel I need to perform well. I considered training for strongman, but decided it would clash too much with my martial objectives. I have, however, begun incorporating smaller, heavier sets to round myself out. If I end up doing well with my training, I may become involved in grip sport.

Besides weight loss, my current goals are to run a 6 minute mile (my PR is 7:15, I weighed 220 pounds, and didn't train for that distance), and to close a CoC #3. After exploring my ability in compound lifts, I will likely set goals for the dead lift and squat (I was taught to lift by a bodybuilder, so I've done almost all isolation exercises in the past).

I'm here mostly to learn. And at some point, access to the for sale section on here will probably come in handy.

Welcome.... any questions you have to achieve your goals I will gladly answer to the best of my ability... and if I don’t know the answer I have many friends who will. Lots of good folks here!

19 hours ago, Primitivebeasty said:

Hi all.

@Primitivebeasty Welcome to the GripBoard!

Hi everyone, 

After reading various (and always informative) posts on here I felt it was time to get more involved.

Really starting to enjoy my grip training and have begun to focus more and more on it as an end objective.  I'm also trying a bit of bending having got the starter kit from David Horne. 

My goal at the moment is to close a CoC 2.5 and develop a decent technique at reverse bending. 

Ed

• Like 1