NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

2 hours ago, Shatterer said:

Hello all,

Excited to be a part of the site. My name is CJ, 30 years old, 70kg. I have been strength training with KBs and gymnastic rings as my primary modalities for the last few years. I trained and fought Muay Thai for a number of years in my late teens/early 20s, and neglected to really care for my hands and wrists. As such, I am a little arthritic. I just came off a pretty catastrophic hand injury late last year (Army injury) that sidelined my left hand (dominant/stronger hand) for almost a year. Just had surgery in April and am really now getting into serious grip training. I was always told that "just do deads and pullups, your grip will take care of itself." Obviously so incredibly, unbelievably, stupidly naive!! 

Current PRs:

1. 2 hand pinch lift 60kg x 1(old rubber plates, looking to go official with a Flask in the Fall)

2. RT: L 48kg R 52.5kg

3. CoC 1: L 8 reps, R 11 reps (CCS)

Goals:

1. Close CoC #2 rated at 108 w/both hands

2. RT 70kg (both)

3. 2 hand pinch lift on Flask 70kg

I welcome any and all advice while I'm on here. Thanks all, sorry this is so long...

Cheers,

CJ

@Shatterer Welcome!

Hi all,

My name is Mike, 27 years old, 6'3", 290lbs (currently cutting, down from 310lbs). I have been competing in Strongman for about 2 years and wrestled for ~15 years previous. I tore my Achilles' tendon back in May playing slow pitch (of all things) and that kind of killed my Strongman season this year. I had been working with the Captains of Crush since Oct 2016 but my injury gave me more time to focus on improving my grip strength and to work with my grippers to the point where I was able to certify on the CoC #3 on Aug 4 2017. My ref asked if I was on GB and I told him no but he suggested I check it out, so here I am. 

As as far as what I am looking to get out of GB, I would like to learn from some gripsters who are more experienced then myself and potentially compete in a few grip competitions. My main focus is still strongman but I would certainly like to feed my need for competition while my Achilles heals. 

My current goals are to certify on the CoC 3.5 and to get on and then climb up the MM ladder. 

I look forward to meeting and learning from everyone on here and hope that I may be able to help some people myself. 

Cheers,

Mike

17 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

@MurrayStrongnan I watched that very impressive #3 cert. You should think about linking that video in a new thread. And welcome!

Thank you @WestSlope. I can certainly do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Marc. I am from germany. I am 25 years old. I am interested in gripsports for a long time and bought some grippers, but never really trained with it, as i didn't know how and my main sport was normal lifting.

But i had a surgery 2 months ago and couldn't do normal lifting so started grippertraining since then. My starting point was a #3 close.

I really like it and hope to find some nice conversations with other grip enthusiasts on here.

My current pr's were made yesterday and today :

CoC #3 for 12 reps parallel set

Hg350 x 1 close

And today i did CoC #3.5 for 2 reps with a choker.

As i don't really know how to train i would like to ask some of you experienced gripsters for some advices on how to continue (there is probably another thread for this right?).

Thank you very much and have a nice day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellraiser92x said:

Hi my name is Marc. I am from germany. I am 25 years old. I am interested in gripsports for a long time and bought some grippers, but never really trained with it, as i didn't know how and my main sport was normal lifting.

But i had a surgery 2 months ago and couldn't do normal lifting so started grippertraining since then. My starting point was a #3 close.

I really like it and hope to find some nice conversations with other grip enthusiasts on here.

My current pr's were made yesterday and today :

CoC #3 for 12 reps parallel set

Hg350 x 1 close

And today i did CoC #3.5 for 2 reps with a choker.

As i don't really know how to train i would like to ask some of you experienced gripsters for some advices on how to continue (there is probably another thread for this right?).

Thank you very much and have a nice day

Mate, you are crazy strong on grippers. I dream of being able to achieve your current gripper PR's. Congratulations on the incredibly strong close.

• Thanks 1

Thank you my friend. I believe we are in the best place here, where we can get all the information we need to achieve our goals.

I wish you all the luck with your mm0 certification.

• Like 1

Hi Al,

thanks for the advice. Already did that. I am now going for the "choi routine". Ich will try to close a choked 4 this friday. The week after i will go for a 3.5 non-choked close. I will update you guys if you're interested.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:56 PM, MurrayStrongnan said:

Hi all,

My name is Mike, 27 years old, 6'3", 290lbs (currently cutting, down from 310lbs). I have been competing in Strongman for about 2 years and wrestled for ~15 years previous. I tore my Achilles' tendon back in May playing slow pitch (of all things) and that kind of killed my Strongman season this year. I had been working with the Captains of Crush since Oct 2016 but my injury gave me more time to focus on improving my grip strength and to work with my grippers to the point where I was able to certify on the CoC #3 on Aug 4 2017. My ref asked if I was on GB and I told him no but he suggested I check it out, so here I am. 

As as far as what I am looking to get out of GB, I would like to learn from some gripsters who are more experienced then myself and potentially compete in a few grip competitions. My main focus is still strongman but I would certainly like to feed my need for competition while my Achilles heals. 

My current goals are to certify on the CoC 3.5 and to get on and then climb up the MM ladder. 

I look forward to meeting and learning from everyone on here and hope that I may be able to help some people myself. 

Cheers,

Mike

@MurrayStrongnan Welcome!

HI

I'm a 40 y/o, 170lb male making great progress in general strength following Strongfirst and Dan John principles, but my grip has never been strong and I suspect it could get stronger quickly with some dedicated practice.  I'm here looking for some ideas for beginner routines.

Hey everyone .. Glad to be a member of the grip board. As I'm approaching 48 years of age, I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to continue progressing towards some goals I've set for myself of which grippers, and various pinch lifts play a part. I'm into arm wrestling, shot put and grip. I never went pro in either sport but I've had some great years and looking forward to many more. As you get older, your grip is the last to go, and I intend on keeping it that way .. lol! In any event, I look forward to gaining knowledge from you all and sharing any way I can. Currently I'm on a quest to close the COC #3. Right now I can close the 2.5 .. parallel set. My goal is to take a bit of a back step and work on the CC set as this is a requirement for IM certification. I'm doing my research and trying to do things smart .. there's also various pinch lifts, particularly the stub which for whatever reason is very enjoyable whenever I do them! Anyways guys, that's all I've got for now and it's a pleasure to be part of the group . Stay strong and healthy everyone!

• Like 2

Hi everyone! 

I'm 24 y.o.,6'4" 187lbs, 6 month reabilitating since himlated disk injury witch made me lose weigth from solid 220lbs to skinny 154lbs.

Right now i'm all into armwrestling, but i decided to make a stake on breaking nails with pronation to develop "hard" wrist. As far as my progress is quite straight - i want try nreaking ironmind nails (white, green, yellow) this year.

Decided to start training log here to become a part of grip community :)

On 8/22/2017 at 10:21 AM, Leozinho said:

HI

I'm a 40 y/o, 170lb male making great progress in general strength following Strongfirst and Dan John principles, but my grip has never been strong and I suspect it could get stronger quickly with some dedicated practice.  I'm here looking for some ideas for beginner routines.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:11 PM, Ole' Puller said:

Hey everyone .. Glad to be a member of the grip board. As I'm approaching 48 years of age, I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to continue progressing towards some goals I've set for myself of which grippers, and various pinch lifts play a part. I'm into arm wrestling, shot put and grip. I never went pro in either sport but I've had some great years and looking forward to many more. As you get older, your grip is the last to go, and I intend on keeping it that way .. lol! In any event, I look forward to gaining knowledge from you all and sharing any way I can. Currently I'm on a quest to close the COC #3. Right now I can close the 2.5 .. parallel set. My goal is to take a bit of a back step and work on the CC set as this is a requirement for IM certification. I'm doing my research and trying to do things smart .. there's also various pinch lifts, particularly the stub which for whatever reason is very enjoyable whenever I do them! Anyways guys, that's all I've got for now and it's a pleasure to be part of the group . Stay strong and healthy everyone!

1 hour ago, MALLEUS REX said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm 24 y.o.,6'4" 187lbs, 6 month reabilitating since himlated disk injury witch made me lose weigth from solid 220lbs to skinny 154lbs.

Right now i'm all into armwrestling, but i decided to make a stake on breaking nails with pronation to develop "hard" wrist. As far as my progress is quite straight - i want try nreaking ironmind nails (white, green, yellow) this year.

Decided to start training log here to become a part of grip community :)

Welcome @Ole' Puller @MALLEUS REX @Leozinho !!

Hello everyone, I'm 41 years old, 198 lbs, 6ft tall, and I've been armwrestling for a little over three months. Some of the guys I pull with are into grip sport so that's how I got introduced. I ordered the Iron Mind CoC #2, Rolling Thunder, and Hub as part of a package, mainly to improve my armwrestling, but now I've realized that this is super fun and much more than just a means to improving my armwrestling. I ordered CoC #.5, #1, and 1.5# (with ratings) from Cannon Powerworks and those should be here in a few days, along with a few more things from IronMind. And I've discovered plenty of additional stuff that I want from small shops like Mammoth Grip Tools. Right now I can lift ~125lbs on the RT, ~30lbs on the Hub, and definitely can't close the CoC #2, so working on the "Crushed-to-Dust" challenge is my first goal. My long term goal is to lift the Inch Dumbbell. I have long fingers so perhaps I stand a chance after a year or two or hard work? I have a ton of questions, I'm sure none of which are new, so I look forward to scouring the board for wisdom.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am 40 years old, 288 lbs and 6' tall. I have been lifting weights for a little over a year. I enjoy archery and other shooting sports. I started watching videos with Jedd and bought a few grippers. Then I cut up several hex dumbbells I had in barn gym. Total newbie to grip training. I cannot say I know enough or have experience to really define any grip goals. A couple of the CoC challenges will probably be first.

Looking to get stronger, learn about the process of building grip strength and meet some new people in process.

Seems like there is enough material on The Grip Board and The Grip Authority site to keep me busy reading and watching for a long time.

Happy to be on the board!

On 9/3/2017 at 6:17 PM, MattD said:

Hello everyone, I'm 41 years old, 198 lbs, 6ft tall, and I've been armwrestling for a little over three months. Some of the guys I pull with are into grip sport so that's how I got introduced. I ordered the Iron Mind CoC #2, Rolling Thunder, and Hub as part of a package, mainly to improve my armwrestling, but now I've realized that this is super fun and much more than just a means to improving my armwrestling. I ordered CoC #.5, #1, and 1.5# (with ratings) from Cannon Powerworks and those should be here in a few days, along with a few more things from IronMind. And I've discovered plenty of additional stuff that I want from small shops like Mammoth Grip Tools. Right now I can lift ~125lbs on the RT, ~30lbs on the Hub, and definitely can't close the CoC #2, so working on the "Crushed-to-Dust" challenge is my first goal. My long term goal is to lift the Inch Dumbbell. I have long fingers so perhaps I stand a chance after a year or two or hard work? I have a ton of questions, I'm sure none of which are new, so I look forward to scouring the board for wisdom.

9 hours ago, JayC said:

Hello, I am 40 years old, 288 lbs and 6' tall. I have been lifting weights for a little over a year. I enjoy archery and other shooting sports. I started watching videos with Jedd and bought a few grippers. Then I cut up several hex dumbbells I had in barn gym. Total newbie to grip training. I cannot say I know enough or have experience to really define any grip goals. A couple of the CoC challenges will probably be first.

Looking to get stronger, learn about the process of building grip strength and meet some new people in process.

Seems like there is enough material on The Grip Board and The Grip Authority site to keep me busy reading and watching for a long time.

Happy to be on the board!

Welcome guys! @JayC @MattD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Im 38, and I bought my first grippers about 5 months ago. No previous background of any serious lifting, just casual lifting here and there which I haven't done in about 2 years. Read about COC grippers and thought it would be something to do while just sitting around on the couch watching tv lol. I ordered the Trainer, 1, and 2. I was able to barely close the 1 once with my dominant right hand, not even close on the left. After about a week I started to become obsessed with wanting to close the 2, as I found it ridiculously hard. This led to the eventual purchase of the 2.5 and 3 as I started to learn about negatives. I didn't find much success doing that, so I eventually got the 1.5. In hindsight, I should've just purchased all of them at once, but had no idea how much I would get into it until now. I don't do any other type of grip training, just grippers and the heavy hammer II bar which I got a few weeks ago. I finally was able to close the 2 from a parallel set last week. 

Im here mainly to learn technique and to see the different gripper workouts people do. My main issue has had to do with setting I believe. I've watched many videos but still struggled with the gripper sliding back. I may have finally found something though as when I closed the 2 for only the second time a few days ago, I was able to keep it shut for a good 15 seconds. That leads me to believe my struggles with the 2 have largely been technique related and not strength. Either that or a few weeks of the hammer bar has made a big difference already.

Long term goal is to certify on the COC 3

Edited by Booze
Forgot goal
  • Like 1

Hi everyone!

My name is Michael, I've been training grip on and off or about 6 years along with general weight training.

My main goal is to close the coc3 and I also enjoy training with block weights.

I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone in the fourm!

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hi everyone!

My name is Michael, I've been training grip on and off or about 6 years along with general weight training.

My main goal is to close the coc3 and I also enjoy training with block weights.

I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone in the fourm!

@Mikey Welcome!

11 hours ago, Booze said:

Hello!

Im 38, and I bought my first grippers about 5 months ago. No previous background of any serious lifting, just casual lifting here and there which I haven't done in about 2 years. Read about COC grippers and thought it would be something to do while just sitting around on the couch watching tv lol. I ordered the Trainer, 1, and 2. I was able to barely close the 1 once with my dominant right hand, not even close on the left. After about a week I started to become obsessed with wanting to close the 2, as I found it ridiculously hard. This led to the eventual purchase of the 2.5 and 3 as I started to learn about negatives. I didn't find much success doing that, so I eventually got the 1.5. In hindsight, I should've just purchased all of them at once, but had no idea how much I would get into it until now. I don't do any other type of grip training, just grippers and the heavy hammer II bar which I got a few weeks ago. I finally was able to close the 2 from a parallel set last week. 

Im here mainly to learn technique and to see the different gripper workouts people do. My main issue has had to do with setting I believe. I've watched many videos but still struggled with the gripper sliding back. I may have finally found something though as when I closed the 2 for only the second time a few days ago, I was able to keep it shut for a good 15 seconds. That leads me to believe my struggles with the 2 have largely been technique related and not strength. Either that or a few weeks of the hammer bar has made a big difference already.

Long term goal is to certify on the COC 3

Welcome. Post some videos of your closes, the members here would be more then happy to help you out. 

On 10/12/2017 at 6:32 AM, MurrayStrongnan said:

Welcome. Post some videos of your closes, the members here would be more then happy to help you out. 

Thanks! Ive never recorded myself but if I were to get around to posting a video, what would be the appropriate forum/thread to do so? I don't really see a beginner/ advice type section. I don't want to come right out the gate being that annoying guy who posts stuff in the wrong section lol

1 hour ago, Booze said:

Thanks! Ive never recorded myself but if I were to get around to posting a video, what would be the appropriate forum/thread to do so? I don't really see a beginner/ advice type section. I don't want to come right out the gate being that annoying guy who posts stuff in the wrong section lol

I think you’d be ok posting something like that on the main board 

9 hours ago, Booze said:

The Grip FAQ section is pretty much our Beginners Area.  But, I would just post the video on the main forum as suggested.

Howdy everyone,

My name is Harrison.  A friend of mine has CoC#1, #2 and #3. I am able to close the #2(right hand) but I couldn't even budge the #3. Bought the RRBT, today, because I'm stubborn and want to close the #3. I like the look of the program..."stick to the basics" and you don't need a lot of other grip equipment.