NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Hi all, I'm a rock climber from western ny who has been interested in grip for awhile and recently grip sport. I've played with grippers and plate pinches but nothing impressive. I'm here to learn more about training that could carry over to my climbing and also try new feats. I found out about SJ 4 and I'm interested in trying that out since it isn't too far away, never competed so would like to learn more about what that process is like and how one would prepare in the short-term. 

Welcome man.  Are we in touch already?  Hit me up if not. 

Hello my name is Tony ,soon to be 50 ...started lifting weights as kid inspired by my hero Superstar Billy Graham, after a few back injures got into heavily into grip about 5 years ago.. can close 2.5 COC but have been stuck trying to close #3 for over 2 years, I'm sure I can get some good tips here..and have already seen a lot of familiar names from You-Tube here....I feel grip strength is the most  likely of all strength to save your life. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm Jeremias from Finland.

My main sport is Girevoy sport, but for couple of years I have been training grip for short period of times every now and then during strength training seasons.

Now I started grip training more seriously due to injury preventing GS for several months.

My personal favourite is rolling thunder, but I also train with grippers, axle, 75mm rolling handle, 60mm loadable dumbbell, hub, one finger deadlifts etc... All tools (except the Coc grippers) are self made using kettlebells as weight. My long term goal is to get certified in CTD-challenge, but I still have a long road to walk...

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 5:21 AM, Mike Douglas said:

Hi everybody,

I've been weight training since I was nine years old in 1979, mostly bodybuilding with occasional bits of powerlifting. I have only recently started getting interested in grip work. I have started with the Heavy Grips grippers and I've ordered some Captains of crush grippers. I'm looking forward to learning all I can and maybe sharing an idea or two.

WELCOME!

On 6/9/2017 at 4:16 PM, Climber028 said:

Hi all, I'm a rock climber from western ny who has been interested in grip for awhile and recently grip sport. I've played with grippers and plate pinches but nothing impressive. I'm here to learn more about training that could carry over to my climbing and also try new feats. I found out about SJ 4 and I'm interested in trying that out since it isn't too far away, never competed so would like to learn more about what that process is like and how one would prepare in the short-term. 

On 6/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, Tony James said:

Hello my name is Tony ,soon to be 50 ...started lifting weights as kid inspired by my hero Superstar Billy Graham, after a few back injures got into heavily into grip about 5 years ago.. can close 2.5 COC but have been stuck trying to close #3 for over 2 years, I'm sure I can get some good tips here..and have already seen a lot of familiar names from You-Tube here....I feel grip strength is the most  likely of all strength to save your life. :D

Welcome!

Hello,

My name is Terry, I am 23, and living/training out of Switzerland currently (since mid 2016). I Have been doing weight lifting on and off since high school. I have been interested in grip for 6-8 years (sometime in high school), but only started training it about a year ago. I have been messing around with grippers and pinching, but have not done much of an actual program for it. Which I know I should fix as it has probably held me back as far as progress goes, after a year I am closing my COC 1.5 for about 15 reps, but still not closing my #2, I am also doing plate pinch work, and recently managed to 2hp 2 45's which is my PR so far. I am also interested in starting bending, but have always been concerned about expenditure on steel.

Anyways, hello, good to be here, the posts on the board have helped a bunch so far.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:18 PM, ZachK said:

Hi, my name is Zach

I've been interested in grip training for a while and have recently started trying to get serious and really build a strong grip. I am currently training for my first powerlifting meet and am training grip separately. I am also interested in participating in strongman or gripsport in the future. Also being able to have a vice-like grip is super cool and manly

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 185lbs (currently on a cut)

I recently read a book on exercise programming called "The Scientific Principles of Strength Training", by the folks over at Juggxrnaught Training. I have been trying to reapply and adapt those principles to training grip as well. Since I am pretty new to the world of grip training I decided to join this forum so that I can learn and observe people who are more knowledgable than myself.

On 6/9/2017 at 4:16 PM, Climber028 said:

On 6/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, Tony James said:

On 6/20/2017 at 0:07 PM, JJM said:

Hi. I'm Jeremias from Finland.

My main sport is Girevoy sport, but for couple of years I have been training grip for short period of times every now and then during strength training seasons.

Now I started grip training more seriously due to injury preventing GS for several months.

My personal favourite is rolling thunder, but I also train with grippers, axle, 75mm rolling handle, 60mm loadable dumbbell, hub, one finger deadlifts etc... All tools (except the Coc grippers) are self made using kettlebells as weight. My long term goal is to get certified in CTD-challenge, but I still have a long road to walk...

10 hours ago, terryt3o3 said:

Hello,

My name is Terry, I am 23, and living/training out of Switzerland currently (since mid 2016). I Have been doing weight lifting on and off since high school. I have been interested in grip for 6-8 years (sometime in high school), but only started training it about a year ago. I have been messing around with grippers and pinching, but have not done much of an actual program for it. Which I know I should fix as it has probably held me back as far as progress goes, after a year I am closing my COC 1.5 for about 15 reps, but still not closing my #2, I am also doing plate pinch work, and recently managed to 2hp 2 45's which is my PR so far. I am also interested in starting bending, but have always been concerned about expenditure on steel.

Anyways, hello, good to be here, the posts on the board have helped a bunch so far.

Welcome guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellows its Ata from Turkey. Im single and live alone in Istanbul where i run a hobby shop. I will write down my specification right down there to keep it easier to get you informed. 

Nationality : Turkish 

Weight : 190 lbs( which im gonna cut it to 170 or something close)

Height: 183 cm 

Hand length : 185 mm ( damn , thats small) 

I haven't trained my grip regularly until a few weeks ago. My accomplishments are closing hg150/hg200 and a hard hg250 for a few times. I also have a vatiz adjustable gripper that i really like to work on and i can cope with the level 10 with one spring.(a fairly New spring ) ı also have thick revolving handles (60/80/100 mm thickness) and a 80 mm solid pinch block . But i do not know mu limits on these equipments for the time being so its a matter of an another time :)

I always read your posts on gripboard and i think its better to share with the community than just reading useful tips from the community for only ones benefit. 

2 hours ago, atacankucuk said:

Hello fellows its Ata from Turkey. Im single and live alone in Istanbul where i run a hobby shop. I will write down my specification right down there to keep it easier to get you informed. 

Nationality : Turkish 

Weight : 190 lbs( which im gonna cut it to 170 or something close)

Height: 183 cm 

Hand length : 185 mm ( damn , thats small) 

I haven't trained my grip regularly until a few weeks ago. My accomplishments are closing hg150/hg200 and a hard hg250 for a few times. I also have a vatiz adjustable gripper that i really like to work on and i can cope with the level 10 with one spring.(a fairly New spring ) ı also have thick revolving handles (60/80/100 mm thickness) and a 80 mm solid pinch block . But i do not know mu limits on these equipments for the time being so its a matter of an another time :)

I always read your posts on gripboard and i think its better to share with the community than just reading useful tips from the community for only ones benefit. 

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have always assumed I had a strong grip, so I eventually decided to test it out and bought HeavyGrips 100, 150 and 200 lb grippers to quickly discover that I did not have one. I was able to close the first two, but it took me multiple sessions before I was able to close the 200 lb one, as the last centimeter was giving me trouble. I then believed, and believe now, that my pinky and ring fingers are proportionately weak to my middle and pointer, so I bought IMTUG #3 and #4, and gave them a go. As you can see in the video I used the IMTUG #4 the wrong way when closing it with my weak two fingers, I should have held it upside down :p I am impulsive sometimes, so I wanted a quick video taken of my first attempt trying to close it with strong two and then weak two fingers. I am not sure if the 4 was too easy for my weak fingers, so I ordered the 5 to try out, but I imagine that will be too hard!

I created an account on this site as I do not know how to properly train my grip and will need lots of advice along the way. For example, I type a lot as a software engineer, and today my pinky muscle hurt a few days after using the IMTUG while typing, and I do not know how normal that is. When I was training with the 200 HeavyGrips gripper, occasionally my wrist and hand would hurt a few days after the fact, but this pinky pain is very tender, and I want to know if it is common.

A quick aside about me, I am six feet and 280 lbs, but I have 10-inch hand spans, long arms and short legs for my height (length 30 jeans). I have a very strong back, and used to love to do the incline bench press while I was in Amherst College, just because it came easy to me and I wanted to be stronger after my girlfriend at the time made fun of me for having a ripped back and scrawny arms. I began doing bicep curls at that time strictly for that reason (I have heard that I should do wrist curls on days I do not train my grip to get stronger forearms, by the way). I speak conversational Japanese, and am of mixed Russian-Hispanic-Incan descent.

IMG_1899.MOV

On 7/13/2017 at 6:06 PM, TeGaTsuyoi said:

So I have always assumed I had a strong grip, so I eventually decided to test it out and bought HeavyGrips 100, 150 and 200 lb grippers to quickly discover that I did not have one. I was able to close the first two, but it took me multiple sessions before I was able to close the 200 lb one, as the last centimeter was giving me trouble. I then believed, and believe now, that my pinky and ring fingers are proportionately weak to my middle and pointer, so I bought IMTUG #3 and #4, and gave them a go. As you can see in the video I used the IMTUG #4 the wrong way when closing it with my weak two fingers, I should have held it upside down :p I am impulsive sometimes, so I wanted a quick video taken of my first attempt trying to close it with strong two and then weak two fingers. I am not sure if the 4 was too easy for my weak fingers, so I ordered the 5 to try out, but I imagine that will be too hard!

I created an account on this site as I do not know how to properly train my grip and will need lots of advice along the way. For example, I type a lot as a software engineer, and today my pinky muscle hurt a few days after using the IMTUG while typing, and I do not know how normal that is. When I was training with the 200 HeavyGrips gripper, occasionally my wrist and hand would hurt a few days after the fact, but this pinky pain is very tender, and I want to know if it is common.

A quick aside about me, I am six feet and 280 lbs, but I have 10-inch hand spans, long arms and short legs for my height (length 30 jeans). I have a very strong back, and used to love to do the incline bench press while I was in Amherst College, just because it came easy to me and I wanted to be stronger after my girlfriend at the time made fun of me for having a ripped back and scrawny arms. I began doing bicep curls at that time strictly for that reason (I have heard that I should do wrist curls on days I do not train my grip to get stronger forearms, by the way). I speak conversational Japanese, and am of mixed Russian-Hispanic-Incan descent.

IMG_1899.MOV

Welcome!

Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas, Im from Belgium. 28 years old.

My passion is Strongman but recently I sufferd a cartilage injury in my knee. Im limited in my strongman training at the moment so I took up grip training to better myself for Strongman. I also love shooting and I think a firm grip on a weapon is never a bad thing.

My goal is to improve my overall grip strength. Im currently training grip 3 times per week. I do 3-4 grip exercises per session. After seeing this forum I realised there is much more to grip training than simple doing some reps on a gripper. I hope to learn as much as possible here to aid in Strongman and my other hobbies.

Hello all!

I am a junior IPF powerlifter who has started to chase some gripper goals as a side hobby

I also come with a newbie question. I got this list from someone who posts here (Morgan I think), and was wondering what the following meant:

BB WC - 100.6kg rgc (4.22, 174kg) choked 7.77mm

COC 4 - 94.1kg rgc (3.95, 163kg) choked 20mm

Contakt - 88,37kg rgc (3.74, 155kg) MMC

COC 3.5 - 86.6kg rgc (3.69, 153.7kg) 25mm block

ghp 8 - 78.16kg rgc (3.38, 141.6kg) ccs

If we take the second line as an example:

I understand that this is a Captain of Crush 4 rated at 94.1 kg and was choked to the point it was 20 mm between the handles... what are the numbers in the brackets?
If the 3.95 is a way of comparing it to an average CoC 4, where was this average taken from?

I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I apologise if I missed it in an FAQ or something

On 7/21/2017 at 11:57 AM, Thomas89 said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas, Im from Belgium. 28 years old.

My passion is Strongman but recently I sufferd a cartilage injury in my knee. Im limited in my strongman training at the moment so I took up grip training to better myself for Strongman. I also love shooting and I think a firm grip on a weapon is never a bad thing.

My goal is to improve my overall grip strength. Im currently training grip 3 times per week. I do 3-4 grip exercises per session. After seeing this forum I realised there is much more to grip training than simple doing some reps on a gripper. I hope to learn as much as possible here to aid in Strongman and my other hobbies.

7 hours ago, Over 3 Reps Is Cardio said:

Hello all!

I am a junior IPF powerlifter who has started to chase some gripper goals as a side hobby

I also come with a newbie question. I got this list from someone who posts here (Morgan I think), and was wondering what the following meant:

I understand that this is a Captain of Crush 4 rated at 94.1 kg and was choked to the point it was 20 mm between the handles... what are the numbers in the brackets?
If the 3.95 is a way of comparing it to an average CoC 4, where was this average taken from?

I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I apologise if I missed it in an FAQ or something

Welcome guys!

@Over 3 Reps Is Cardio

3.95 is an antiquated conversion that is not very useful. It's predicated on the assumption that a #4 "should" be 210. That's an arbitrary number though and the more useful information is the actual rating. There really is no reason to do the conversion. The second number...163kg.... I have no idea. @Morgan??

21 hours ago, Cannon said:

@Over 3 Reps Is Cardio

3.95 is an antiquated conversion that is not very useful. It's predicated on the assumption that a #4 "should" be 210. That's an arbitrary number though and the more useful information is the actual rating. There really is no reason to do the conversion. The second number...163kg.... I have no idea. @Morgan??

On July 23, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Over 3 Reps Is Cardio said:

Hello all!

I never use 'kg' when I talk about RGC of grippers. Probably the numbers are from someone else. I only use pounds for RGC and usually measuremet from CPW.

My guess is that the numbers you have is from Vano.

Vano uses 'kg' for RGC of grippers.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 1

Hi Gripboarders,

My name is Dave and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I'm 6' tall, 185 lbs and birthday #50 isn't too far off. I'm an IT worker, an occupation not particularly associated with strength. The grip bug bit me a bit over two years ago and my first CoC grippers arrived not long after. I can close the #2.5 on a good day (which seems to be every 3 weeks or so) but my lack of consistency with them is driving me nuts :angry: In the last couple of weeks I've started working on my pinch grip (with an IM Hub and blocks of various widths), and quickly realised that having a decent crush doesn't help with pinch.

I've been reading Gripboard for over a year now and have learned more about grip strength and training techniques here than I would in a lifetime of trial and error, so I finally joined a week or two ago and am looking forward to learning even more. Most equipment I have was purchased after researching it here, so I have a good collection of grippers, rolling handles and pinch gear. I'd love to close the CoC #3 (or GHP #7) one day, be able to do 45 lbs on both the IM Hub and 2 inch pinch block, and 200 lbs on the 50 mm Baraban rolling handle.

Love the site, thanks for the great work :)

Hey all, hope everyone is having a good year. Introducing myself now. My name is Brandon F, im almost 24, 5 foot 10, 200 pounds and that fluctuates a lot, have just under 7-3/4 hands, my back is always killing me for some reason but I don't think doctors believe me much or give a crap so I'm going to an orthopedic specialist eventually so I've been trying to stay away from too much squatting/dead lifting and even bench press feels weird now a days, tried doing strong lifts program for about 7 months a couple years ago but have decided to stay away from much of the major compound movements into my inflammation goes down or until my form gets better, have bad posture too I think..anyway, I bought my first gripper (#1) about 3 and a half years ago and for some reason ( probably because I was having a lot of fun and got lazy/unmotivated ) stopped using them after I closed a 2.5 about a year and a half to two years ago. I played with the number 1 occasionally but not as much as I should have. My goal is to get back to that level and beyond. I'm trying my hardest to close the 2.5 and my ultimate goal is to certify. I've been practicing with CCS with the number 1, 1.5, and the 2. I most recently filed the 2 down a bit today with a grinder and can't wait to test it out tomorrow. I also recently bought an iron mine blue egg and the iron mind flex bands. Really think the flex bands are going to help. I'm going to start working on pinch grip just a tiny bit after gripper workouts just to get more used to it. I can easily pick up a 25 pound dumbbells but can barely even move the 30 pound which I think is weird. Anyway..like I said I'm really excited to see what my #2 feels like with grinded edges. I'm getting obsessed again and love it! Also want to get my 2.5 calibrated if anyone can give me a suggestion on where to send it for quick service. Also if anyone else uses the flex bands how often do you use them. Nice to meet you all, have been reading the board for years and now I'm here to be a part of the community and help support any way I can. Will post video when I crush that 2.5.

Edited by AbsuM-
Added info

7 hours ago, Daveyboy said:

Hi Gripboarders,

My name is Dave and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I'm 6' tall, 185 lbs and birthday #50 isn't too far off. I'm an IT worker, an occupation not particularly associated with strength. The grip bug bit me a bit over two years ago and my first CoC grippers arrived not long after. I can close the #2.5 on a good day (which seems to be every 3 weeks or so) but my lack of consistency with them is driving me nuts :angry: In the last couple of weeks I've started working on my pinch grip (with an IM Hub and blocks of various widths), and quickly realised that having a decent crush doesn't help with pinch.

I've been reading Gripboard for over a year now and have learned more about grip strength and training techniques here than I would in a lifetime of trial and error, so I finally joined a week or two ago and am looking forward to learning even more. Most equipment I have was purchased after researching it here, so I have a good collection of grippers, rolling handles and pinch gear. I'd love to close the CoC #3 (or GHP #7) one day, be able to do 45 lbs on both the IM Hub and 2 inch pinch block, and 200 lbs on the 50 mm Baraban rolling handle.

Love the site, thanks for the great work :)

6 hours ago, AbsuM- said:

Hey all, hope everyone is having a good year. Introducing myself now. My name is Brandon F, im almost 24, 5 foot 10, 200 pounds and that fluctuates a lot, have just under 7-3/4 hands, my back is always killing me for some reason but I don't think doctors believe me much or give a crap so I'm going to an orthopedic specialist eventually so I've been trying to stay away from too much squatting/dead lifting and even bench press feels weird now a days, tried doing strong lifts program for about 7 months a couple years ago but have decided to stay away from much of the major compound movements into my inflammation goes down or until my form gets better, have bad posture too I think..anyway, I bought my first gripper (#1) about 3 and a half years ago and for some reason ( probably because I was having a lot of fun and got lazy/unmotivated ) stopped using them after I closed a 2.5 about a year and a half to two years ago. I played with the number 1 occasionally but not as much as I should have. My goal is to get back to that level and beyond. I'm trying my hardest to close the 2.5 and my ultimate goal is to certify. I've been practicing with CCS with the number 1, 1.5, and the 2. I most recently filed the 2 down a bit today with a grinder and can't wait to test it out tomorrow. I also recently bought an iron mine blue egg and the iron mind flex bands. Really think the flex bands are going to help. I'm going to start working on pinch grip just a tiny bit after gripper workouts just to get more used to it. I can easily pick up a 25 pound dumbbells but can barely even move the 30 pound which I think is weird. Anyway..like I said I'm really excited to see what my #2 feels like with grinded edges. I'm getting obsessed again and love it! Also want to get my 2.5 calibrated if anyone can give me a suggestion on where to send it for quick service. Also if anyone else uses the flex bands how often do you use them. Nice to meet you all, have been reading the board for years and now I'm here to be a part of the community and help support any way I can. Will post video when I crush that 2.5.

Welcome!

Hi all, 

I'm Luke, I'm 19 and I started training grippers seriously about a month ago. I'm from Canberra, Australia. I have a powerlifting background but injured my lower back almost 2 years ago and have not yet fully recovered. I'm hoping to get the MM0 cert this year if I can stay injury free. 

Hi. My name is Heikki im 29years old from finland. Powerlifting backround about 15years and 2month's ago i broke two bones on my foot in strongman comp, then i found steelbending and now im hooked :D after 3weeks of bending training i bend IM rednail about 15sec, and try to cert it before this year ends

Welcome guys!

@RuddyGrip @Hexa-87

On 7/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, RuddyGrip said:

Hi all, 

I'm Luke, I'm 19 and I started training grippers seriously about a month ago. I'm from Canberra, Australia. I have a powerlifting background but injured my lower back almost 2 years ago and have not yet fully recovered. I'm hoping to get the MM0 cert this year if I can stay injury free. 

3 hours ago, Hexa-87 said:

Hi. My name is Heikki im 29years old from finland. Powerlifting backround about 15years and 2month's ago i broke two bones on my foot in strongman comp, then i found steelbending and now im hooked :D after 3weeks of bending training i bend IM rednail about 15sec, and try to cert it before this year ends

Hey my name's Blake I own a landscaping company. I broke my wrist a few years ago and had to have surgery on it. I decided to start grip training to help get that wrist and hand back in shape. I have just purchased the Ironminds Trainer and NO.1. I would eventually like to close a NO.3 any tips and recommendations are much appreciated.

Edited by Bigcountry

11 hours ago, Bigcountry said:

Hey my name's Blake I own a landscaping company. I broke my wrist a few years ago and had to have surgery on it. I decided to start grip training to help get that wrist and hand back in shape. I have just purchased the Ironminds Trainer and NO.1. I would eventually like to close a NO.3 any tips and recommendations are much appreciated.

@Bigcountry Welcome!

Hello all,

Excited to be a part of the site. My name is CJ, 30 years old, 70kg. I have been strength training with KBs and gymnastic rings as my primary modalities for the last few years. I trained and fought Muay Thai for a number of years in my late teens/early 20s, and neglected to really care for my hands and wrists. As such, I am a little arthritic. I just came off a pretty catastrophic hand injury late last year (Army injury) that sidelined my left hand (dominant/stronger hand) for almost a year. Just had surgery in April and am really now getting into serious grip training. I was always told that "just do deads and pullups, your grip will take care of itself." Obviously so incredibly, unbelievably, stupidly naive!! 

Current PRs:

1. 2 hand pinch lift 60kg x 1(old rubber plates, looking to go official with a Flask in the Fall)

2. RT: L 48kg R 52.5kg

3. CoC 1: L 8 reps, R 11 reps (CCS)

Goals:

1. Close CoC #2 rated at 108 w/both hands

2. RT 70kg (both)

3. 2 hand pinch lift on Flask 70kg

I welcome any and all advice while I'm on here. Thanks all, sorry this is so long...

Cheers,

CJ