NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

My name is Derek Stokes. I am just a normal Christian who absolutely LOVES training grip. I am 37 years old, 5'8" tall, and weigh 200 lbs. My ultimate goal is to certify on the No. 3 CoC gripper. I believe in high volume, high intensity training, (For Grip Training) and I use many of Joe Kinney's training methods, as well as my own methods. I am also open to anything that works, and I have plenty of those tricks under my sleeve. I am like a sponge when it comes to training methods; I soak it all up and then wring out the trash. I have been training off and on for about a year now, and I am about a toothpick's width away from closing a No. 2 CoC with my right hand, and can close a level 4 Gillingham with my left. The GHP's close normally with my left, as well as CoC Left Turn grippers. For some reason, the regular CoC's do not work well with my left. Anyway, I am tickled to have found this place, and I am about 2 weeks into training grip seriously, and I plan to continue on until I close the No. 3. I hope this message finds everybody doing well, and hopefully setting new PR's!

Thanks,

Derek Stokes 

• Like 1

Welcome Derek!  Things are fairly slow here on the weekends.

Feel free to cut and paste your introduction into "New Member" thread here...

On 3/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, CFlaherty said:

Movie on 3-10-17 at 11.13 AM.movHey everyone,

My name is Connor, and I discovered serious grip training about a month ago. I am 23, about 6 foot even, and weigh roughly 190lbs. I have been very active all my life, I played football and baseball through high school, and wrestled when I was in middle school. Since high school, I have been doing a lot of body building and strength training, at one point bench pressing over 400lbs. I have been looking for something new to set as a goal, and I have really enjoyed working with the grippers so far. I don't know if I have naturally strong hands, or if my background in lifting helped, but I am able to CCS the COC#2 easily in my right hand, and most of the time in my left. But, the 2.5 and 3 feel like completely different monsters.

I have been doing a lot of low rep training about every other day including thumb work and two finger work with the IM Tugs, and I have just started trying out negatives and over crushes. I feel that my biggest problem is that I can't consistently get a good set, which makes it really tough to hit good negative reps. I was hoping that some of you guys might have some tips for newbies like me who started out with somewhat above average grip strength, but still need to build a strong base and buildup weak points (like setting). Ultimately, I want to do the KTA program when I have a solid base, but I don't feel anywhere near ready to start that as I stand now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Editing to post my short term goals:

I want to certify on the #3 and complete the Crushed to Dust by the end of the year.

Welcome Connor.  Seeyah in July! ;)

On 3/16/2017 at 8:37 AM, Cheesoid said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill, and I've been grip training/lurking the forums for about 15 months.  I started bending short steel in January, and am absolutely hooked, somewhat to the detriment of my gripper progress (hopefully just in the short term).  I'm kind of a smaller guy at 5'6", 190 pounds, but my goals are the same as anyone elses, to push my limits and see what I'm capable of bending, gripping, etc.  I bent my first grade 5 bolt yesterday (1/4 x 7), so I'm pretty psyched about that, but know that there's still a long road ahead, and sense that my beginner gains will be fading soon enough.

I am currently working as a metallurgist at a commercial heat treat, and am happy to answer any questions about fastener grades, steel grades, etc., if I'm able, and where I'm not able, I can still wildly speculate with the best of them.

Welcome Bill!  I have a feeling your background may come in handy in the bending forum. 

On 3/16/2017 at 4:20 PM, tterbo said:

Hi everyone im a new bender from Australia  only been bending for a few weeks and have an addiction already. Been really good learning lots of stuff on this page

This is one of my bends 6.03mm and 7" long roughly an IM yellow nail

Welcome tterbo.

• Like 2

I'm Austin "Rezican" Rogers.I'm 17, 5'3 and 196lbs and I'm mainly a powerlifter (I like pretty much everything strength such as stone throwing and strongman) and my greatest achievement was a 500lb Raw (knee wraps and belt) squat in the 16-17 198lb class which I believe could be a world record. All I know it's a record in several federations. I could wrong but I'm proud of it after only powerlifting for 2 months when I hit that. Either way I love strength. I was able to crush the No.1 Ironmind gripper in my left hand and I'm currently doing RRBT. I hope by the end of my career I can crush No.4.I have a feeling I'm going to love this community. After all the purest form of strength is grip. I wish everyone the best of gains!

13 hours ago, Rezican said:

I'm Austin "Rezican" Rogers.I'm 17, 5'3 and 196lbs and I'm mainly a powerlifter (I like pretty much everything strength such as stone throwing and strongman) and my greatest achievement was a 500lb Raw (knee wraps and belt) squat in the 16-17 198lb class which I believe could be a world record. All I know it's a record in several federations. I could wrong but I'm proud of it after only powerlifting for 2 months when I hit that. Either way I love strength. I was able to crush the No.1 Ironmind gripper in my left hand and I'm currently doing RRBT. I hope by the end of my career I can crush No.4.I have a feeling I'm going to love this community. After all the purest form of strength is grip. I wish everyone the best of gains!

Welcome Austin!

On 3/19/2017 at 0:14 PM, jackhammer922 said:

My name is Derek Stokes. I am just a normal Christian who absolutely LOVES training grip. I am 37 years old, 5'8" tall, and weigh 200 lbs. My ultimate goal is to certify on the No. 3 CoC gripper. I believe in high volume, high intensity training, (For Grip Training) and I use many of Joe Kinney's training methods, as well as my own methods. I am also open to anything that works, and I have plenty of those tricks under my sleeve. I am like a sponge when it comes to training methods; I soak it all up and then wring out the trash. I have been training off and on for about a year now, and I am about a toothpick's width away from closing a No. 2 CoC with my right hand, and can close a level 4 Gillingham with my left. The GHP's close normally with my left, as well as CoC Left Turn grippers. For some reason, the regular CoC's do not work well with my left. Anyway, I am tickled to have found this place, and I am about 2 weeks into training grip seriously, and I plan to continue on until I close the No. 3. I hope this message finds everybody doing well, and hopefully setting new PR's!

Thanks,

Derek Stokes 

Welcome! I merged your intro into the intro thread. :)

My name is bill. I've been training grip and bending for a few months now and I am addicted. A fellow Army Veteran who deployed the same time I did introduced me to all the Ironmind products and bending as a way to relieve the anger and stress associated with reintegration. 

My current level is a COC #2 With both hands, can successfully bend 1/4 x 6" grade 8 or grade 5 bolts in ironmind pads, close the Ironmind Red Nail in leather wraps pre kinked to 15 degrees and 155 lbs on the rolling thunder on both hands. My near term goals are a couple of bending and V bar certifications from Fat Bastard once my stock arrives and my longer term goals (about 1 year) are the Ironmind Red Nail and the crushed to dust challenge. 

I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and spreading the bending culture as far as I can through the Veteran community.

• Like 2

Hi my name is David. I am 21 years old. I have been always interested in grip sports and I have several grippers myself but I never trained properly. I thought it was about time to stop buying bunch of stuff and actually train.

I have a COC #0.5, all the Heavy Grip series, Silvis's Monster Hunter 3 and Dinosaur Hunter: Triceratops, an $8 plastic gripper, something similar to Fat Gripz, several dumbbells, and a indoor pull-up bar.

I personally believe that I have a weak hand and strengthening my ligament and muscle is important. So I am trying to work on low weight high rep with Fat Gripz and the dumbbell. I tried training high weight low rep with hand grippers and I could feel my hands were too weak to endure the training, so that is why I changed.

I am into armwrestling as well.

I hope I find great grip mentors on this site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Jason.  Rich Cottrell threatened me with an armbar if I didn't introduce myself.  I've been focusing on grip since 2013 for Ironmind certifications.  As my research and training progressed, I discovered there was more certs and challenges outside of Ironmind.  My training and sleep has been consistently inconsistent do to my small children and welding school.  Welding school is pushing my closed crush grip to borderline over-training.  I've competed in Living Legends open class and Gripmas 2016.  I also enjoy grip challenges at fitness expos because of the 'unknown' factor.  I'm here because surrounding myself with strong people will help me become stronger.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Hi my name is Jason.  Rich Cottrell threatened me with an armbar if I didn't introduce myself.  I've been focusing on grip since 2013 for Ironmind certifications.  As my research and training progressed, I discovered there was more certs and challenges outside of Ironmind.  My training and sleep has been consistently inconsistent do to my small children and welding school.  Welding school is pushing my closed crush grip to borderline over-training.  I've competed in Living Legends open class and Gripmas 2016.  I also enjoy grip challenges at fitness expos because of the 'unknown' factor.  I'm here because surrounding myself with strong people will help me become stronger.

Welcome!

The ole' Armbar threat again eh?

On 3/21/2017 at 7:33 AM, Sapper88 said:

My name is bill. I've been training grip and bending for a few months now and I am addicted. A fellow Army Veteran who deployed the same time I did introduced me to all the Ironmind products and bending as a way to relieve the anger and stress associated with reintegration. 

My current level is a COC #2 With both hands, can successfully bend 1/4 x 6" grade 8 or grade 5 bolts in ironmind pads, close the Ironmind Red Nail in leather wraps pre kinked to 15 degrees and 155 lbs on the rolling thunder on both hands. My near term goals are a couple of bending and V bar certifications from Fat Bastard once my stock arrives and my longer term goals (about 1 year) are the Ironmind Red Nail and the crushed to dust challenge. 

I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and spreading the bending culture as far as I can through the Veteran community.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:15 AM, Heavy100 said:

Hi my name is David. I am 21 years old. I have been always interested in grip sports and I have several grippers myself but I never trained properly. I thought it was about time to stop buying bunch of stuff and actually train.

I have a COC #0.5, all the Heavy Grip series, Silvis's Monster Hunter 3 and Dinosaur Hunter: Triceratops, an $8 plastic gripper, something similar to Fat Gripz, several dumbbells, and a indoor pull-up bar.

I personally believe that I have a weak hand and strengthening my ligament and muscle is important. So I am trying to work on low weight high rep with Fat Gripz and the dumbbell. I tried training high weight low rep with hand grippers and I could feel my hands were too weak to endure the training, so that is why I changed.

I am into armwrestling as well.

I hope I find great grip mentors on this site.

2 hours ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Welcome to the GripBoard!

Hi, I'm Varro and I'm easing into my 2nd week of grip training.  I'm 23 and am not new to strength training, but I recently became interested in training my grip.  I ordered a coc #1 two weeks ago and was able to close it fairly easily out of the package, but I've been taking it slow with the grippers based on what I've read on here regarding overtraining grippers for new guys.  I've been doing some work with fatgripz as well.  I've been reading all I can on here and so far I've found a lot of good info, so I look forward to learning more from you guys while  I work toward closing that #3. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew Dube, I'm 30 years old live in Waterloo ontario with my wife and two boys (3 and 1). I work as a machinist for the university science departments mostly building research equipment. I never really played any sports until I was 18 and I started Thai boxing. Spent most of the last decade doing martial arts mostly grappling and some fma too. Decided to take a kettlebell certification with Agatsu  in fall 2013 and immediately clicked with their training philosophies. It was at another course with them in June 2015 when Shawn Mozen got me interested in old time strongman and feats of strength. I've spent most of the time since then working on tearing cards and all types of steel bending. I'm especially drawn to artistic steel scrolling. This year I got together with Rob Mcmurren and started learning about grip sport. Did my first contest in February in Ottawa and got hooked. I'm fairly active on instagram where I post lots of diy grip and strongman gear. I've interacted with a few of you online already and the grip community is really awesome.  I'm looking forward to meeting many of you in person at SJ4. I also recently competed in my first kettlebell sport comp achieving rank 1 in 16kg longcycle and would like to pursue that further eyeing a contest in august where I plan to move up to 20kg. So my current training goals are:

1. improving all areas of grip, focusing on axle, 2H flask, grippers and short bending as well as the events at SJ4

2. Preparing to go 10minutes with 20kg in long cycle

3. Improving overall body strength focusing on front squat, log press, deadlift, pullup and strongman movements 

Anyway that's me in a nutshell. Been lurking here for a few months so feels good to officially introduce myself.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew Dube, I'm 30 years old live in Waterloo ontario with my wife and two boys (3 and 1). I work as a machinist for the university science departments mostly building research equipment. I never really played any sports until I was 18 and I started Thai boxing. Spent most of the last decade doing martial arts mostly grappling and some fma too. Decided to take a kettlebell certification with Agatsu  in fall 2013 and immediately clicked with their training philosophies. It was at another course with them in June 2015 when Shawn Mozen got me interested in old time strongman and feats of strength. I've spent most of the time since then working on tearing cards and all types of steel bending. I'm especially drawn to artistic steel scrolling. This year I got together with Rob Mcmurren and started learning about grip sport. Did my first contest in February in Ottawa and got hooked. I'm fairly active on instagram where I post lots of diy grip and strongman gear. I've interacted with a few of you online already and the grip community is really awesome.  I'm looking forward to meeting many of you in person at SJ4. I also recently competed in my first kettlebell sport comp achieving rank 1 in 16kg longcycle and would like to pursue that further eyeing a contest in august where I plan to move up to 20kg. So my current training goals are:

1. improving all areas of grip, focusing on axle, 2H flask, grippers and short bending as well as the events at SJ4

3. Improving overall body strength focusing on front squat, log press, deadlift, pullup and strongman movements 

Anyway that's me in a nutshell. Been lurking here for a few months so feels good to officially introduce myself.

Glad to see you on here and excited to meet you at SJ4!

1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

Hello everyone,

Will be great to meet you.  Thanks for making the hike..and Welcome!

2 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Hello everyone,

welcome aboard ! see you in Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm David, and I'm an Armwrestler......

I'm 46, 150 - interested in grip training for the obvious reasons :) - I got involved in the professional Armwrestling circuit in Jan. of this year, so I'm a novice, but I'm hoping to gain Pro status in another year or two. 

Hi everybody,

I've been weight training since I was nine years old in 1979, mostly bodybuilding with occasional bits of powerlifting. I have only recently started getting interested in grip work. I have started with the Heavy Grips grippers and I've ordered some Captains of crush grippers. I'm looking forward to learning all I can and maybe sharing an idea or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Douglas said:

Hi everybody,

I've been weight training since I was nine years old in 1979, mostly bodybuilding with occasional bits of powerlifting. I have only recently started getting interested in grip work. I have started with the Heavy Grips grippers and I've ordered some Captains of crush grippers. I'm looking forward to learning all I can and maybe sharing an idea or two.

Welcome!

My name is Kirill Vankovich.I am 23 years old, 190cm, 85 kg. I live in Belarus, Dzerjinsk.
I have 5 years of weight training experience boxing. 
Two years backward i started interesting in steelbending and training at the grip.
I have been bending steel since 2014 but seriously about a year ago.

14 hours ago, IvankoGripper said:

Greetings & salutations fellow squeez-a-holics!  I'm Mark a former "shave my hairy sack" bb'er & now a dedicated Gripper.  After a recent 90 day "'vacation" at the taxpayer's expense (aka jail, the bighouse, the slam, the pokey, etc.) I can report that having a pumped up body don't mean sh#@ when it comes not getting beaten down.  I saw several "jacked" idiots get f'ed up.  I do know an iron grip is THE single most important factor in grappling since ALL fights of any importance end up on the floor.  

I also am convinced the acquisition of a 300+lb grip has a huge isometric-type growth effect over the entire upper body & dramatic positive health benefits.        

There are several scientific clinical studies proving the huge overall importance of grip strength.

Anyway, I'm glad to be just a humble grip student here where I'm sure there is much for me to learn.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/grip-strength-may-provide-clues-to-heart-health-201505198022

ivanko-super-gripper-box.jpg

FirstSuperGripper_zpsde978199-1.jpg

17a0_16c205_dc9eb29e_tn.jpg

150933908_display.jpg

Welcome to the Gripboard!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Zach

I've been interested in grip training for a while and have recently started trying to get serious and really build a strong grip. I am currently training for my first powerlifting meet and am training grip separately. I am also interested in participating in strongman or gripsport in the future. Also being able to have a vice-like grip is super cool and manly

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 185lbs (currently on a cut)

I recently read a book on exercise programming called "The Scientific Principles of Strength Training", by the folks over at Juggxrnaught Training. I have been trying to reapply and adapt those principles to training grip as well. Since I am pretty new to the world of grip training I decided to join this forum so that I can learn and observe people who are more knowledgable than myself.

Edited by ZachK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm a rock climber from western ny who has been interested in grip for awhile and recently grip sport. I've played with grippers and plate pinches but nothing impressive. I'm here to learn more about training that could carry over to my climbing and also try new feats. I found out about SJ 4 and I'm interested in trying that out since it isn't too far away, never competed so would like to learn more about what that process is like and how one would prepare in the short-term. 

• Like 2