NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

On 8/22/2016 at 0:22 PM, Kluv#0 said:

Hello, my name is Michael 49 yrs old, have been weightlifting since 13 but grip training for 9 months. Bought some grippers, wrist wrench last December and rolling thunder, iron mind hub just last week. I regret not knowing about the various grip training,devices,etc but I love it and will pass it on to my son. Stats😂 COC 2.5 credit card close, wrist wrench 87lbs, rolling thunder first time 167, hub lift first time using it 51.25, and sledgehammer finger walk 18lbs. Look forward to chatting and continue to gain knowledge in this wonderful sport.

20 hours ago, Ferdinand Avenarius said:

Hi! I am brand new here and have been into grip training off and on in the past, and now I want to get into nail bending. I just ordered the beginner bender's bag from Fat Barbell Co and and psyched to get started. I was competing in powerlifting and in girevoy sport for a while, so I think my grip is pretty ok from the heavy lifting and ballistics,  but I know I'll need to do more specialized training to be successful in bending. Anyway, I'm a newb and have tons of questions.

Welcome!

hey its Alexis, I'm back after a 5 year or so hiatus. I've since moved from Canada to Savannah GA USA. I have a MM0 and accomplished some nice bends (somewhat proud of the one below)...I could not find my previous account so I'm starting fresh.

My goals for now are to bend a 3/8 x 7" cold worked round bar in IM pads with DO and to DU a shiny, also to close a 3.5 in each hand again would be nice. I am a not where I used to be so if this place was anything like it used to be I will be proud to show my progress and grateful for support.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alexis said:

hey its Alexis, I'm back after a 5 year or so hiatus. I've since moved from Canada to Savannah GA USA. I have a MM0 and accomplished some nice bends (somewhat proud of the one below)...I could not find my previous account so I'm starting fresh.

My goals for now are to bend a 3/8 x 7" cold worked round bar in IM pads with DO and to DU a shiny, also to close a 3.5 in each hand again would be nice. I am a not where I used to be so if this place was anything like it used to be I will be proud to show my progress and grateful for support.

Dude how are you?!!  Great to see you bending again.  I'll follow your log here with great interest!  

Some old Bender's Battlefield guys are on here, including EJ, who I believe runs the bending section!  

Pretty good, I am now a Us resident! Alot of stuff happened in my life...I was looking through my toolbox, found my old imps and gave it a go..i sparked it all up again I guess. How are you?

BTW..this is my old account, I found it..i asked wannagrip to cancel my new one...

Edited by tselegala
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Alexis said:

Welcome back!

9 hours ago, tselegala said:

Pretty good, I am now a Us resident! Alot of stuff happened in my life...I was looking through my toolbox, found my old imps and gave it a go..i sparked it all up again I guess. How are you?

BTW..this is my old account, I found it..i asked wannagrip to cancel my new one...

You did? I never got any request.  PM me.

On 5/14/2016 at 1:24 AM, Julian Smith said:

Hey all, my name is Julian. I'm 19, around 185#, and little over 6'4". And I'm from Oklahoma, shoutout to any fellow Okies. I used to play sports and was thinking about walking on for shot put in college (just finished my first year), but I herniated my L4-L5 disc at the beginning of the school year, so I haven't really done anything physical for the last 8 months, other than grip training. I've browsed around on the GB forums for some time but just never really got around to signing up until now.

I started looking into grip training because one day back my freshman year of high school, a wrestling coach couldn't break my grip when I had him in a "cradle" lock (for anyone who's wrestled, that'll make more sense). But anyways, he inspired me and so I got the CoC 1 and 2 when I turned 17. I closed the 1 then closed the 2 two months later. I immediately bought the rest of the CoC collection and closed the 2.5 three months later (all of these closes were just MMS). Did a round of the KTA program and MMS closed the 3 a day before my 18th birthday. That was pretty much where I got stuck and started slacking off with grippers. I got into armwrestling competed in OKC, started training pinch grip, and started training the Rolling Thunder and Hub. The gym I'm at doesn't really welcome chalk, so I ended up not training those for too long. I think I worked up to around 140 and 60 on those. Messed around with sledgehammers a little bit. 

Since my back injury has kept me from doing much else, I figured I'd give nail bending a go. It's always appealed to me, the idea of bending something not meant to move. So I started with grade 2 quarter-inch bolts and suede wraps almost four months ago in mid-January. Moved onto grade 5s, 60Ds, grade 8s, and finally some 6.5"x5/16" drill rod. I tried my grippers again and I was able to get the 3 MMS still. Then I tried to pinch a 40 hex db i have at home and worked up to lifting with with thumb and two fingers. This all has given me some encouragement to not let an injury get me down and everything, but I'm actually having to take another break. Two weeks ago, I wobbled a 5/16"x7"  grade 5 bolt and hurt something in my left hand. Down at the base where the palm meets the carpal bones, around where the end of the nail goes, it's been pretty painful to do anything - pinch, crush, even just opening bottles. Not sure if is a nerve, or muscular, or just stressed the joint the wrong way. That's actually why I'm finally joining GB. I've been looking for advice for hand pain on here and figured it was about time for me to join anyway. Also, if I can get my hand healed up quickly, I'm going to attempt a Red Nail cert this summer, so I'll probably be on here a lot more looking for advice and everything. 

My goals right now are to cert the Red Nail (and bend that grade 5 that jacked my hand!), CCS close the 3 and cert on it, MMS the 3.5, and lift the Blob. 

I'm excited to be a part of the GripBoard community and hope to keep learning until I can contribute to help others! Happy gripping y'all!

Not sure if you are still active but I'm from Oklahoma also and am just trying to find fellow Oklahomans interested in the sport.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 1, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Roy Golden said:

Not sure if you are still active but I'm from Oklahoma also and am just trying to find fellow Oklahomans interested in the sport.

Hey Roy,

I guess I could say I'm "active," but I just don't have much spare time to check out the forum. I've been having to take a break from training as well because of my school and work schedule. That's awesome, I've been looking for fellow gripsters around OK for a while. I'm not actually residing in Oklahoma presently but going to college in Texas. 

On August 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Guest said:

Great to see you back at it Alexis!  Sick bend!

• Like 1

My name is Prana, 18 years old, 145 lbs, living in Singapore and started training calisthenics 2 years ago. I got interested in grip training just about 3 weeks ago when I stumbled upon heavy grips' website, so i got myself HG100, HG150 and HG200. My goals are to close big grippers and hopefully become a mash monster.

Major Josh Travis III here. You can call me Maje......

Its been six years since I properly trained grip..... Have overcome two hernias in that time. Sure ive picked up a gripper once every 2 months or something but here is where it starts again.

My gripping heyday was 2008 to Christmas 2011 when I finally started to consistently close the COC #2 for 2-3 reps

Im back now after a long hiatus and have 3 weeks training behind me. I have lost strength. I cannot close the #2 right now and im did only 9 reps on the #1 on my first week back. I close the #1.5 for #4 consecutive reps which is considerable decline from my heyday. Back when I closed the #2 consistently it was around 13 reps I was doing on the 1.5

Anyhow start again we must. Ive carried on doing weights in this time and my pinch grip at least is still rather better as I used to squeeze in pinch workouts now and than.

Im 42 and 5'10 180lbs.

13 minutes ago, major josh travis said:

Its been six years since I properly trained grip..... Have overcome two hernias in that time. Sure ive picked up a gripper once every 2 months or something but here is where it starts again.

My gripping heyday was 2008 to Christmas 2011 when I finally started to consistently close the COC #2 for 2-3 reps

Im back now after a long hiatus and have 3 weeks training behind me. I have lost strength. I cannot close the #2 right now and im did only 9 reps on the #1 on my first week back. I close the #1.5 for #4 consecutive reps which is considerable decline from my heyday. Back when I closed the #2 consistently it was around 13 reps I was doing on the 1.5

Anyhow start again we must. Ive carried on doing weights in this time and my pinch grip at least is still rather better as I used to squeeze in pinch workouts now and than.

Im 42 and 5'10 180lbs.

Maje, you'll relearn your strength... just stay consistent and work grip doing the basic dumbbell and barbell curls and such. Grippers are only a microcosm of the overall grip.

On 9/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, prana said:

My name is Prana, 18 years old, 145 lbs, living in Singapore and started training calisthenics 2 years ago. I got interested in grip training just about 3 weeks ago when I stumbled upon heavy grips' website, so i got myself HG100, HG150 and HG200. My goals are to close big grippers and hopefully become a mash monster.

24 minutes ago, major josh travis said:

Im 42 and 5'10 180lbs.

Welcome to the GripBoard!

Well, I hope that there might be others here who are not only rank beginners, but also on the oldish side (I'm 64).

I never did strength training much until I was about 50, and got into kettlebell sport, though that is more strength/endurance than pure strength. I've been through a few relatively sedentary years until I realized that my body was really starting to degenerate, and that I really had to get back to making myself stronger.

I am finding that I love grip training, but it's pretty embarrassing to point out where I'm at, and what my goals are. I have yet to close the CoC Trainer with my strong hand. While my goals are pretty modest, I have no idea what kind of progress I can expect at this point (obviously at 64 one can't progress as dramatically as at 25, but I'm determined not to let that deter me) - I will be awfully pleased if I can close the #1 within the next year. I don't know how realistic that is, but part of the fun is in the trying.

I've assembled several grippers, all of which have different feels, and seem to work my strength in slightly different ways. The most fun one thus far - I really love the Vulcan #2.

In any case - the 2 specific goals I have (other than the more general one of getting stronger and fitter) are to close the #1 and to get to 15-20 pullups in the next year. (I tested myself at 6 a couple of weeks ago).

Edited by GeneS
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GeneS said:

Well, I hope that there might be others here who are not only rank beginners, but also on the oldish side (I'm 64).

I never did strength training much until I was about 50, and got into kettlebell sport, though that is more strength/endurance than pure strength. I've been through a few relatively sedentary years until I realized that my body was really starting to degenerate, and that I really had to get back to making myself stronger.

I am finding that I love grip training, but it's pretty embarrassing to point out where I'm at, and what my goals are. I have yet to close the CoC Trainer with my strong hand. While my goals are pretty modest, I have no idea what kind of progress I can expect at this point (obviously at 64 one can't progress as dramatically as at 25, but I'm determined not to let that deter me) - I will be awfully pleased if I can close the #1 within the next year. I don't know how realistic that is, but part of the fun is in the trying.

I've assembled several grippers, all of which have different feels, and seem to work my strength in slightly different ways. The most fun one thus far - I really love the Vulcan #2.

In any case - the 2 specific goals I have (other than the more general one of getting stronger and fitter) are to close the #1 and to get to 15-20 pullups in the next year. (I tested myself at 6 a couple of weeks ago).

Welcome Gene!  I think you will surprise yourself with your grip gains.  I can tell you that there's at least one gripster here that is not only older than you, but can whip young whipper snappers like myself (44yo).  Goes by the name @climber511:)

7 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Welcome Gene!  I think you will surprise yourself with your grip gains.  I can tell you that there's at least one gripster here that is not only older than you, but can whip young whipper snappers like myself (44yo).  Goes by the name @climber511:)

I know that there are plenty of people older than myself who are impressively strong. I'd love to find some who started this late, and what their progress has been. I see too much online about how difficult it is to make gains at this age, but I REFUSE to believe it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GeneS said:

I know that there are plenty of people older than myself who are impressively strong. I'd love to find some who started this late, and what their progress has been. I see too much online about how difficult it is to make gains at this age, but I REFUSE to believe it.

Climber511 here.  I'm 68 but have been training since 1959 so a different situation than you - but what I can tell you is that I'm totally still able to make gains in things that I have not trained before.  So in your case Grip is new - I see no reason for you not to be able to make significant progress in your hand strength.  My advice is not to specialize too soon but to build a base of all around strength by working a fairly wide number of areas including your wrists.  Too much of any one thing too soon is a good way to develop overuse injuries.  Mike Corlett (Hubgeezer here on the GB) started late and became quite strong in the Grip Arena.  Good Luck to you.  Learn all you can - and definitely attend a comp or two - you can learn more at a single Grip Contest than in months and months on your own.  I think you'll find people are very willing to share their knowledge and work with you at any competition.

55 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Climber511 here.  I'm 68 but have been training since 1959 so a different situation than you - but what I can tell you is that I'm totally still able to make gains in things that I have not trained before.  So in your case Grip is new - I see no reason for you not to be able to make significant progress in your hand strength.  My advice is not to specialize too soon but to build a base of all around strength by working a fairly wide number of areas including your wrists.  Too much of any one thing too soon is a good way to develop overuse injuries.  Mike Corlett (Hubgeezer here on the GB) started late and became quite strong in the Grip Arena.  Good Luck to you.  Learn all you can - and definitely attend a comp or two - you can learn more at a single Grip Contest than in months and months on your own.  I think you'll find people are very willing to share their knowledge and work with you at any competition.

Very sensible advice. it's encouraging that you can still make gains. And yes - I have to be careful about overdoing some stuff. My elbows, or that general area started to get mad at me, but I have been finding that Jedd's advice about using rubber bands seems to be helping. I am also finding that using a 'the hook' chest expander seems to be helping a bit with my shoulders. The great advantage of those is that I can get in a great amount of work at work....

I don't think I'm looking to specialize in grip per se - it's new to me, and so it's very fun right now, but since I'm not doing this as a sport as much as for my overall well being and health, overall strength is the most important thing to me.

but the fact that some of this is so ridiculously difficult for me makes it both funny and fun. Like I tried doing some pull-ups tonight with my new rolling thunder. Now, I didn't have much success, but it wasn't so ridiculous that I didn't see a path to success. It makes me want to try it some more now, but I suspect that I've had a little too much wine to make that a productive endeavor. the important thing to me is that I'm finding all of this great fun, and I am looking forward to going home from work and working out.

On 9/16/2016 at 2:24 PM, GeneS said:

Welcome @GeneS

Hello to everyone!

My name is Alexander, I’m 44 years old, 6', 190 lbs. and enormously addicted to grip sport. I have trained as a powerlifter for 3 years (but it was 24 years ago when I was a student). Then I have injured my back and stopped my training.

In 2012 I found grip training and started to train with IronMind grippers. I fell in love with the grippers’ training so for two years I have gone the way from CoC Trainer to CoC #2. Finally this March 2016 I started to train pinch and supporting grip with IronMind Hub and Rolling Thunder. And I have to say that Hub lifting is my passion!

My current results:

CoC #2 closed;

IronMind Hub – 46,84 lbs. (21,25 kg);

IronMind Rolling Thunder – 132 lbs. (60 kg).

I do my grip trainings 5 times per week and I am eager to get bigger results at the end of the year!

I am very proud to be a part of the Gripboard! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alexander Andreev said:

Hello to everyone!

My name is Alexander, I’m 44 years old, 6', 190 lbs. and enormously addicted to grip sport. I have trained as a powerlifter for 3 years (but it was 24 years ago when I was a student). Then I have injured my back and stopped my training.

In 2012 I found grip training and started to train with IronMind grippers. I fell in love with the grippers’ training so for two years I have gone the way from CoC Trainer to CoC #2. Finally this March 2016 I started to train pinch and supporting grip with IronMind Hub and Rolling Thunder. And I have to say that Hub lifting is my passion!

My current results:

CoC #2 closed;

I do my grip trainings 5 times per week and I am eager to get bigger results at the end of the year!

Welcome Alexander!

I started grippers in 2011 and am also 44yo now. :)  I get better results training 2-3 times a week...but it really depends on how you break things up.  

There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on this board.  I've learned a ton from them.

It's good to see another Gripster my age going at it!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alexander Andreev said:

Hello to everyone!

My current results:

CoC #2 closed;

Welcome!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, anwnate said:

Welcome Alexander!

I started grippers in 2011 and am also 44yo now. :)  I get better results training 2-3 times a week...but it really depends on how you break things up.  

There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on this board.  I've learned a ton from them.

It's good to see another Gripster my age going at it!  

Hello, anwhnate! Thank you! I'm very pleased to meet you and communicate with the like-minded person.

CoC #3 and Red Nail is very strong result for 5 years! Thumbs up!

Hello. I am 32 years old Finnish, and I dont even remember when I first time tried some gripper. My history of training is from strongman sport and powerlifting. 

Few months ago I tried some grippers after a long time, and CoC#3 gets almost closed. Many of my grippers were lost and I bought #2 and #2,5. I already had #1,5 #3 #3,5 and some RB grippers. I put some of my videos from youtube here that you can see where my grip is now. 

I hope I can get some help here to my training when it is time to ask.

Hello all,

Im a rock climber, acrobat, and all around feats of strength athlete.  For many long months I have been successfully using grip training to heal my overuse elbow injuries from climbing.  

Im looking forward to finding some colorado locals to train with, get involved in grip competitions, and eventually hosting a grip competition series in colorado.  I also look forward to learning and sharing the many secrets of strength training.

For starters, anyone in Colorado?

Edited by Broc