NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi,

I'm new here...this is a great site! I'm looking to increase my support and crushing (which I currently do not have) strength. I'm a soon to be 42 yoa woman, 5' nothing and 115#. I've been lifting for 20+ years; I was a national ranked powerlifter 12 years ago and currently am an avid Crossfitter and kettlebell/clubbell devotee.

I have three grip goals for the coming year, listed with my most difficult first: close that blasted COC #1 :angry: ; single hand deadlift bodyweight with the Ironmind Rolling Thunder handle using competition rules, and have enough grip endurance to hang on to a bar for 50 consecutive pullups.

Very long term goals: close a COC #2 (a very big dream for me!), a 1.5x bwt Rolling Thunder deadlift and to be able to do a single rafter pullup. I anticipate I may be 50 before I reach these goals...

Thanks for reading,

Kelly

Welcome to the board Kelly. Shame there aren't more women involved in grip! Sounds like you've had quit a distinguished lifting career thus far and hope you find grip stuff fun and useful.

There is a wealth of information on this board so if you have a question, chances are that 5 other people have already asked it and you can get tons of info using the search function.

Hi guys. I am members of many forums: 4 Runners, Weightlifting, Beretta, PCMECH, PDA, & and some I just do not visit anymore. One being that weightlifting forum for that is for the hardcore body builder which I am not.

My Grip History

Many years ago while my mom worked as a cook and a cleaning person for many of the rich families in our neighbor-town I was bored as usual and found a pair of grips. I was fascinated with them, and my mom picked up on that and bought me them. Till this day they still are around; I gave them to my father to use and between me and him, either they are really easy or had been really broken in. Since then I have bought and got rid of easily at least probably more than 20 pairs of grips. All kinds from the standard sports store brand, to Everlast foam, power putty, gripmaster (really good for guitarists), to adjustable resistant brands, you name it I bought it. The reason for buying and destroying so many is an issue I have which does not really purtain to this topic so I will stop discussing that now.

As I went through one set of grips to another, you will find especially when I got my license at the age of 16 (I am 30 now) with one of pair in my car, and the other in my pocket. You will find me walking down the halls squeezing away, and sometimes I would even squeeze a tennis ball or even a raquetball. Hell just recently I started doing the tennis ball so to avoid all the questions at work about my power putty that I carry with me just about everywhere.

So I am about over 20 years into this hobby, for yes it is a hobby for me, and just yesterday I decided to take it more seriously. I do 3 days a week 3 kinds of upper body exercises: bench, incline bench, and pushups. That too was something I did since I was 16 and has not stopped since; at one point in my life I did the full body workout with the previously owned Bowflex machine and was getting really fast effective results. But the time it took to get through the work compared to everything else in my life, I figured it was not for me. So with the upper body workouts I also just began curls. Now like I said I am going to take my gripping more seriously, and that will consist of using my Captains Crush grippers I had more a few years now. I can squeeze both 1 & 2 all the way, but not consistently. I can however, squeeze #3 halfway. So just yesterday I devised a workout to add to my benching is 2 sets of 10 with 1 then 2 sets of 10 with 2 and then end it with 2 sets of 10 with 3. I am also going to use my newly bought powerball, but cannot decide if I should do it before or after. After just reading some posts I figure I will do it before.

So to end this long introduction I am a good size nice guy that shoots guns, goes to night school, has a daughter and wife, has a thing about hand strength, and somethimes is labeled as being a little perverted :-D You can find me in my car squeezing a tennis ball, or power putty, or just chilling with my Chinese exercise balls.

By the way, you can call me Paul

Hey Everybody! Boy I sure am glad I've found this forum! I've lurked for awhile and been on some other forums but the content is just vastly superior here! Not to mention the fact that the toughest and strongest hands in the world are on here!

I've been gripping for about four years and am enjoying every minute of it! I am a young fellow and my training really focuses on martial art related grip strength but here are some stats of what I'm up to these days.

Hex block weights! Have a #40 and usually just lift for a long time hold or farmers walk or tossing them. With lighter weights I do very high rep cleans and power cleans as well as more tossing for time. As well I try to do wrist curls and normal and hammer curls with them.

Grippers. I am about a quarter inch on the #3 and would love to, hopefully within the next year or so, hit the grippers hard and certify as an entry grip monster on the MMG0 certification.

Wrists. I use a 2 3/4 inch handle and do sets of fifty and up for the time being. As well I do curls and wrist curls with a #25 plate and am probably going to start adding some weight.

I guess thick bar is my weakest point but everything else seems to be somewhat rounded so that not one area takes prescedence over another area.

Glad to be here!

Hello all.

I'm a 41 year-old husband and father of 3. Lifted for a few years in my early 30's. Was then focused on BB and made terrific progress. Life however became too hectic and something had to give - so it was the training.

Fast forward... about two years ago, I decided to give it another go but this time, to instead focus on core strength - no competition, no particular style, just to build my functional, core strength. Was doing squats, DL, BP, bent over rows, etc. Again, was making huge strides when only a few workouts apart, suffered both a pinched nerve in lower back and rotator cuff injury.

Did I mention getting older is a real drag?

Was unable to do anything, nothing standing, not even crunches so again - lapsed into total atrophy. One thing I learned from my last attempt was that my pulling strength quickly exceded my ability to hold onto the bar. This was most noticable in the deadlift and rows.

A google search led me to IM (thank God for them). I purchased the trainer COC. A couple of weeks later, I ordered the #1. Two or three weeks later, the #2. Was doing 10-12 solid reps with my left hand and 15-20 with my right. I then received the #3 for my birthday. To my absolute astonishment, I closed it on the first attempt. Now - don't get me wrong. I have absolutely no command over this device yet as I can't hold it shut for even a second but was none the less pleased that I've progressed in 3 1/2 months to the point I could click the handles together.

I next ordered John Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength". I devoured it! I have a pair of 25lb hex blocks and a pair of 40's. Just got the 40's last week. I had been duck taping weight to one of the 25's for some time. It's over 50 lbs now. I just do static holds with it for time. When I can hold it for 10 or more seconds, I add weight. I use the other to toss from hand to hand as John taught us in his book. I've only used the 40's for a few workouts but can dead lisft and hold for perhaps 10 seconds in left hand and sometimes 30 or more in the right. Perhaps I'll try taping some weight to one as I've done the 25.

I also started levering an 8 lb sledge at the same time that I started the blocks. I mark my position for each exercise with tape. I've been levering to the rear (end of handle) for time, to the front, and doing rotations with arm at my side and forewarm parallel to floor. Those are kickers! Also do a few sets of - not sure what they're called - but as seen in John's book where you lever overhead and touch the nose. I love 'em. It's a blast to see the tape markers move down the handle each week.

Finally, I found both Tom Black and Eric Godfrey's sites. I now have piles of U-shaped 1/4" HRS and bolts laying everywhere - wife's not pleased with this new-found interest.

Guys (and gals)... I'm hooked! I expect you'll hear from me often as I seek the counsel and wisdom of you pioneers of the sport and look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks.

Welcome and Congrats of the speedy success! Seeing results like that its easy to get hooked

Hello all.

I'm a 41 year-old husband and father of 3. I then received the #3 for my birthday.  To my absolute astonishment, I closed it on the first attempt.  Now - don't get me wrong.  I have absolutely no command over this device yet as I can't hold it shut for even a second but was none the less pleased that I've progressed in 3 1/2 months to the point I could click the handles together.

Thanks.

If you closed the #3 IM already you are off to an outstanding start. There are

a few people here over 40 by the way...I'm one of them.

Welcome

Welcome to the gripboard, everything you want to know about grip and bending is here. :D

First of all, get rid of this attitude. :dry

There are many guys on this forum as old or older than you are (I'm 40, BTW), and we are finding out that we just get stronger as we get older. I can honestly say I am much stronger now than when I was 20.

Now that that's out of the way... I want to welcome you to the GripBoard!! You have found THE #1 place for grip strength & grip training on the internet!! There are so many gripmasters here it would boggle the mind!! :ohmy So, sit back, watch and learn from the best in the world!! :D

First of all, get rid of this attitude. :dry

There are many guys on this forum as old or older than you are (I'm 40, BTW), and we are finding out that we just get stronger as we get older. I can honestly say I am much stronger now than when I was 20.

Now that that's out of the way... I want to welcome you to the GripBoard!! You have found THE #1 place for grip strength & grip training on the internet!! There are so many gripmasters here it would boggle the mind!! :ohmy So, sit back, watch and learn from the best in the world!! :D

Advice taken and thanks for the welcome and kind words from everyone. I feel same way - about being stronger now than at 20. At 20, I weighed a whopping 165 (@ 6' tall). Back then, I ate like a horse (anything that wasn't nailed down) and couldn't gain a pound of muscle to save my hide. When I was doing the BB gig, got up to around 215 and pretty lean. 10+ years later and I'm at 225 with a greater percentage than I like being fat! I may (or may not) deal with that later :D Where I'm really feeling my age is in my back. I've taken it slow (as slow as my addictive personality allows) but keep pinching nerves, pulling those little stabalizer mucles I've forgotten about, etc. I know this is a grip forum but any advice along those lines would be welcome. Haven't been doing any deadlifting for a few weeks and had to back off on squat poundages. Just don't know what to do. Want to suat and start piling on plates but not sure my back will keep up. Perhaps I need to try hip belt squats. I do know this - my grip was nothing at 20 compared to what it is now so you're right, perhaps we're more akin to a fine wine. :-)

Thanks folks.

Hey Carusom1,

Welcome to the grip club buddy. Your lifting credentials are most impressive; however, how many pull-ups can you do? My lifting partner can only do about three and he's about your size and strength. Anyway, to respond to your question I would suggest working out with someone stronger than you (which i'm sure you do already) because it will force you to increase your weight and throw-out your back. In order to bend a horseshoe or frying pan you have to have a tremendous amount of strength and experience in the kitchen. This explains why i can't bend a frying pan because i can't even boil noodles. The horse shoe in my opinion would be much easier to bend because if you can melt a quarter inch bolt while performing a handstand, which I can do, the horse shoe should come easy. So the suggestions i have for you are as follows: eat your wheaties, study harder in the library, and most importantly take more showers! Good luck buddy.

Does anyone know the technique or have videos of frying pan rolling or horseshoe bending.  If you do that would be great, thanks.

Mike Caruso  :erm

Check out the video clips in the Movie Gallery

So the suggestions i have for you are as follows: eat your wheaties, study harder in the library, and most importantly take more showers!  Good luck buddy.

I do all of this, yet my 55lb CAP HEX remains elusive. ;)

T!

So the suggestions i have for you are as follows: eat your wheaties, study harder in the library, and most importantly take more showers!  Good luck buddy.

I do all of this, yet my 55lb CAP HEX remains elusive. ;)

T!

Maybe we need to eat our wheaties in the library WHILE taking a shower...now

I get it.

Hi guys, my name is Tommy and I just finished my last season of Division one lacrosse at UMBC. Please don't feel sorry for me I am more than relieved it's over and am ready to move on. The sport has done a lot for me and I wouldn't do it differently however, i would love to be able to bend my lacrosse stick just as i bend quarter inch bolts. I am 180 lbs before thanksgiving and i'm 5'10" from head to toe. I press 330 on bench and have cronic back problems from squats because I'm an idiot. As i hope you can tell Carusom1 is one of my best friends and my lifting partner. We have really gotten into grip and are eager to learn more. Anyway, I would just like to express my interest towards grip and thank those who made this website.

tommy

Hi guys, my name is Tommy and I just finished my last season of Division one lacrosse at UMBC.  Please don't feel sorry for me I am more than relieved it's over and am ready to move on.  The sport has done a lot for me and I wouldn't do it differently however, i would love to be able to bend my lacrosse stick just as i bend quarter inch bolts.  I am 180 lbs before thanksgiving and i'm 5'10" from head to toe.  I press 330 on bench and have cronic back problems from squats because I'm an idiot.    As i hope you can tell Carusom1 is one of my best friends and my lifting partner.  We have really gotten into grip and are eager to learn more.  Anyway, I would just like to express my interest towards grip and thank those who made this website.

tommy

Welcome Tommy,

Now I understand your comments to Mike :D

Welcome to the Grip Capital of the world.

Hi. Pretty new to this grip training thing. I am just here to learn some things. I have been interested in grip training for a couple of years now ever since I read Brookfield's book. Got the Trainer, #1, and #2 back then. I couldn't even close the #1 with either hand when I got them. About 6 Weeks later I could do a couple of reps with the #2 in my right and only once in my left.

I just recently got back into this. Would like to close the number three but some of the other stuff intriques me more. I would like to be able to tear a deck of cards and bend stuff. I am thinking bending wrenches would be cool.

Right now I am just trying to get my wrists strong with the sledge and I just kind of play with my grippers. I think block weights will be my next toy purchases.

Hi.  Pretty new to this grip training thing.  I am just here to learn some things.  I have been interested in grip training for a couple of years now ever since I read Brookfield's book.  Got the Trainer, #1, and #2 back then.  I couldn't even close the #1 with either hand when I got them.  About 6 Weeks later I could do a couple of reps with the #2 in my right and only once in my left. 

I just recently got back into this.  Would like to close the number three but some of the other stuff intriques me more.  I would like to be able to tear a deck of cards and bend stuff.  I am thinking bending wrenches would be cool. 

Right now I am just trying to get my wrists strong with the sledge and I just kind of play with my grippers.  I think block weights will be my next toy purchases.

Read the FAQ section thoroughly...there is the equivalent to a college degree

in grip there.

Welcome

tommy3034,

Thank you for your words of inspiration and thanks to pdiore for the reply, much appreciated. I will try to lift more and study harder but taking showers is not one of my fortes. A stronger training partner is not needed however. Just one that is crazier than I am. Soon enough I will be able to destroy bolts as you do and you will be able to rip a deck of cards. Best of luck to everyone and talk to you soon.

caruso

Hi all,

I'm a 33 y/o from central CT & joined the site about a week ago. Never really did much lifting or weight training, but am starting to get into it. A friend of mine showed me the COC grippers and I was hooked. I could easily close the # 1 he showed me, and could get the # 3 parallel. My brothers friend has the # 2 and first time I tried it, I closed it. I just got the HG250 and 300 and out of the package did about 8 reps on the 250...got the 300 a little more than parallel. Not to bad I thought. I look forward to learning more from the grip experts and crushers here at the boards. One day I hope to put my pic of a closed # 3 in the gallery!

Hi, I'm Keenan.

I'm a 15 year old Candian boy, and I'm just getting into gripping.

For Christmas I'm asking for all 4 CoCs. (I know I'l probably never be able to close the number 4, and mabey not even the 3, but hey, good motivation seeing them there.)

I'm mainly into powerlifting, so I need a fairly good grip once I get my deadlift/bench lbs up there.

As for goals, I'm hoping to be able to close #3 eventually (don't no when to shoot for, as I've never tried it before.

So, I'll be looking forward to learning alot from this site, and I'll keep you guys posted.

(I'ma also post this message in a journal).

Hi.

The first post...

I`m from Finland, 28-years. I`ve been into lifting for maybe 10 years, and into gripping maybe 2-3 years. I can close the IM #2, that`s my best achievement so far. My main interests gripwise are short bending and just recently one finger lifting. I`m not good at either, but I`m trying real hard.

I also just found few guys near my who train arm wrestling, so I might be getting into that too.

It`s nice to be here, and it might take a while to browse through all the archives here. I`ll see you all later. :D

Hello all. Just joined the grip board and I do enjoy it. I'm 6'1", about 240lbs when I'm fattened up :). I'm a former college sprinter and currently compete as LW strongman competitor looking to dabble in the occasional open category show. My best lifts are a 655 squat, a 405 raw bench, 350lb hang clean, and 300lb jerk.

My current grip goals are to short term close the Grand Master, and then have a go at the #3. I got involed in grip training to try to bring up my most glaring strongman weaknesses, heavy farmer's walk and hercules hold. My biggest gripper closed to date is the Super Master which I can rep for about 3.

Hi My name Is jeremy sipple. I am 26. 5,9 i weigh 200lbs. I am into powerlifting grip training, old time strongman stunts anything to do with strength and power!! I have been lifting for just a couple of years.

My best lifts are

power Squat 405 belt only

conventail deadlift 450 old frantz squat suit with straps cut off

bench press touch and go-275

paused bench- 250

zercher deadlift off the floor 245

clean and press 205

I have been tring my grip for about a year but i have not made any real progress though. I train about 2 -3 times a week. That is why i am here to have a mosnter grip!!!

short term goals - increas reps on my #1, but bag of nails from iron mind do a 150lb rollimg thunder deadlift

mid term goal(within a year)- destroy a #2, destroy a blue nail, tear though a 1/2 pack off cards.,200lb. rolling thunder deadlift.

somelong term grip goals includ destroy a # 4, leverage 12lb sledge, pinch grip 2 45 lb plates. bend a horesho tear a phone book, tear a deck of cards. bend the red nail etc.