NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hey y'all

Just joined so here's an introduction.

My name is Rob Okey, I post as tentonnehammer on SMF (I recognise Sybersnott from there, probably a few others too).

Was training for strongman, earlier this year, injured my back on an atlas stone and did a charity walk so the training has gone all to hell and I'm going to start from scratch and include plyometrics and kettlebell stuff too.

I'm 6'5", 335lb. And I'm English. =)

I have a naturally strong grip, I got grippers #1,2,3 last xmas and closed the #2 within a week. I've been close to the #3 for a while but keep getting setbacks and a major painful deep callous on my right middle finger (is this a corn??)

Ordered the #4 in march but that's a while off.

I'm aiming at closing the #3 by the end of october and hopefully getting certified late nov when I'll be doing a rolling thunder deadlift competition. That's the reason for me joining...I'm after tips on rolling thunder training.

I do no other grip training at the moment, I'm still undergoing treatment for my back injury but as soon as I'm able I will be doing thickbar (3") deadlifts and farmers walk with thick handles.

I look forward to checking out all the quality stuff on this board!

:D

:unsure Hi, I am Karoly, 49 years old, been interested in grip strength for a long long time. I am mainly interested in functional strength! As I am disabled, I have to keep my body weight down. Not "afraid of muscle" as someone suggested to me, once. Just need to keep mobility for as long as possible, so am interested in efficient training.

I am focusing on very low rep heavy lifts at the moment, it's actually recommended for my disability, but I'm not doing a lot of different exercises as the heavy stuff eats into recovery very quickly, and my recovery is not what it used to be. Am still improving in some lifts and CV fitness is pretty good for my age, but I believe I could be better. My grip is not exactly a weak link, but it isn't as good as it could be. Oh, I am doing a little with Kettlebells, usually when I get overtrained on the other stuff, or when the weather means I can't walk outside easily/safely

My name is Griffin and I live in Missouri. Been a lurker here for some time.

My grip training right now is centered around a 10lb sledge hammer, Ivanko Super Gripper and a IM pinch block.

I don't have cool feats to lay claim to...yet.

Oops, I posted my first post before I saw this thread.

My name is Diann and there's not a whole lot to say about myself. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 135, sometimes more and sometimes less.

I'm fairly new to grip and to strongwoman (started training for SW at the end of May this year, did my first comp in July) but I have been lifting for awhile. While training for SW, we did some grip work with the grippers. Natually, I went out and bought the Trainer and the #1 that day. Things kind of went from there and I'm slowly accumulating more Stuff.

After doing the GGC, I now have a number of new goals, such as improving on bending (I really want to bend that yellow nail!), RT, pinch, and so on. I think the bending interests me the most at the moment. I'll be lurking about for whatever tips I can glean so that I can attempt this without hurting myself.

However, my current goal is to close the #1 before Rob Okey closes the #3.

HI my name is Christoph and i´m form germany.

I´m training my grip for six months now and therefore my stats are not that impresive:

-Pinch two 10kg Plates or 20kg on a self made pinch block

-lever a 4kg sledge

-bend 5,5mm x 16cm steel

-Squat 250lbs

-Deadlift 270lbs

-Bench 155lbs :(

I´m 178cm "tall" and weight 150lbs.

I hope to pinch 3 10kg Plates 2005.

My name is Thorsten, 32 from Germany, I've done Strength training for 16 years "off and on ".

I got started my training grip about 2 months ago. My CoC Gripper Training I started about 5 months ago.

Goal is to reach overall hand strength....

Have Fun

:rock

My name is Thorsten, 32 from Germany, I've done Strength training for 16 years "off and on ".

I got started my training grip about 2 months ago. My CoC Gripper Training I started about 5 months ago.

Goal is to reach overall hand strength....

Have Fun

:rock

Welcome on the board, big man :mosher:mosher:mosher

My name is James and I'm from Hazleton, Pennsylvania. I'm 21 years old, 6'2" tall, and weigh about 190lbs. I'm a guitarist, and found out about grip training while doing some research into hand health. I'm fairly new to the game, and have only been at this seriously for a month or so. My workout before I added grip training consisted of heavy bag training, and some very intense bodyweight exercises. I'll probably be joining a gym sometime soon to try and put on some more muscle. I consider myself to be fairly strong now, but would like to bulk up a little. Being somewhat skinny and deceptively strong is somewhat fun, though.

My grip routine consists of crushing, pinching, thumb work, wrists, extensions, and dexterity balls. I usually keep about five days between grip workouts, but it depends on how my hands have recovered.

My goals are to get certified with the #3, and develop my overall hand strength.

This board is a great resource, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

I'm brand new. US Marine active duty, interested in fuctional strength primarily for tactical purposes.

Goals: close #3coc and crush a closed beer can.

Semper Fi Mac.

Marine from Camp Pendleton here. :flame

Welcome to the board.

thats one cool av.

I'm brand new. US Marine active duty, interested in fuctional strength primarily for tactical purposes.

Goals: close #3coc and crush a closed beer can.

Semper Fi Mac.

Marine from Camp Pendleton here. :flame

Welcome to the board.

thats one cool av.

Thanks Danny. I pulled it off of "World of Warcraft" Reminds me of myself. :inno

Howdy ya'll. Got interested in grip training and this board when I heard them mentioned a couple times on other boards. As far as hand strength goes I closed the CoC #1 5 times out of the box and can pinch plate the 25s for for 6-10 seconds depending on the day. Would like to be closing the #2 and pinching the 35s by January first. In addition to those goals I'd like to get my bench up to 315, box squat to 405, and deadlift up to 455 by the 1st as well. Currently 15lbs off on bench and 50 for both the box squat and deadlift. I'm currently using WSB training.

Oh ya, wouldn't mind being able to crush an apple on the fly or bust a beer can two. Far ways off now but I'll get there eventually.

Edited by DrPepper

Hi,

My name is Paul....I am new to grip work...didi a little last winter but hurt hands..overdoing it :angry:

I am 49 years old, 6'4" tall, 230 lbs. I have 8 1/8 length of hands and a wrist size

of 7 7/8, forearms are about 14".

I am doing only crushing grip work currently...along with some DB squats...light weight, pushups, curls and DB wrist curls. I have started a routine...don't know to post it here or an "Workouts and new routines"..I have kept a log..I started 9/23/04. My goal is to become first a COC...crush a #3 IM..no set...than become a Mash Monster. I also want to learn to tear decks of cards, phone books, bend steel...nails etc. I am not a powerlifter...much of my "fitness" background came from martial arts and bodyweight exercises utilizing leverage for resistance.

I have a Ivanko Supergripper, a #3 IM, a pony clamp,easy ball for recovery, sledgehammer (8lbs)...and two DB's and about 130lbs of weight. I worked out 6 times so far and my squeeze on the Ivanho went from 140ip (1,10) to start to

180ip (3,10)..but I pushed so hard my last 2 workouts have suffered from not fully recovered hands...back to 140 and hands hurt. I started out with fulls, negs and holds...sometimes more than once a day...typical newbie mistake I know. I am hoping for full healing by tomorrow...and additional progress...geez I talk too much. :blink

Hi everyone,

i'm Leon from the UK.

5 foot 10, 80kg.

I've been grip training for about 1.5 years now, started trying to shut the coc number 1, can do 15 - 20 reps on either hand and some strap holds for 20 seconds with 5kg. Now working on the coc number 2 (can shut it right handed most of the time, but not left handed yet) and also doing some negatives with the 3.

I do a bit of slegehammer lifting (7lb sledge) and some pinching (not going so well), and also some thick handled dumbell stuff (got to 75lbs with a 3inch handle so far.

I've got very small hands and short fingers (6, 5/6 inch hand and 3 inch middle finger which doesn't help my gripping too much, but does make me want to train even harder!

I also do amateur arm wrestling when i have time.

Not really much else to say, other than this board is fantastic, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Edited by mithras

Hey all,

I'm a competitive weightlifter from Finland, and grip and neck strength is a side interest of mine. Mind you, I've only been weightlifting for a year and a half.

My grip goals are pretty vague, I just like a strong grip. I train my grip once a week in a separate workout with my neck. The workout structure is as follows:

1) Gripper work

2) Wrist work: 2 of the following, whatever I feel like

- Nail bending (just introduced this into my routine two weeks ago)

- Twist Yo' Wrist

- Sledge hammer stuff (levers, rotation)

- Wrist roller

3) Thumb work (now just pinch gripping with a block, will build some more stuff later)

4) Brick lifting (á la Goerner)

Rolle

HI, my name is Tim Boura. I am relatively new to grip strength. I am 5'7", 145 lbs. and enjoy training for GS. I currently do plate pinch work, bruiser clubbell lifts, and thickbars. At this point I do not know precisely where I would like to take my grip training. Right now I am just developing a base of work capacity in lower arms, and having a lot of fun.

I wish you all best of luck in your training, and thanks for the great site. Tim.

Hi,

I've only just joined. During my long years of playing rugby I have jarred and damaged pretty much every finger I have. The latest one is my right hand is now in plaster due to damaged ligaments of the thumb. :cry

The plaster comes off this Friday and I am looking to strengthen my fingers and thumbs so I don't have to go through this rubbish [wearing a plastercast] again.

I am busy searching for information on where to start, and i like the article 'grip training for the poor man' by Rick Walker [i have a one year old child who takes up all my money so cheap and cheerful is good for me].

I also have a fifteen year old supergripper that I bought when I was young [am now 32], which I collected from my parent's attic; and searching around here it seems a pretty good way to go for finger strength.

Just need to find info on thumb strengthening.

Adrian

Hello all :howdy:

My name is Nate. I'm 28yrs. old, from Florida, USA. I used to work out alot, mostly just to look fit, and be healthy, but the last 8 years have been sedintary. I'm 5'6" 190...down from 200lbs. I have, just in the last 3 days quit smoking, and am in the process of re-defining myself.

I am new to both grip training and this forum.

I started researching this stuff about a month ago, due in part to Mr. Walker and a discussion over at the USN. That lead to the desel crew site, and videos, which lead to their sponsers/affliates, and so forth.

I received my first set of grippers (CoC train. and #1) Last Monday. I got about 5 hours of training...errr ...overtraining in closing both at first, but not since. My hands hurt when I squueze anything really hard, mostly between 1st and 2nd..and 2nd and 3rd knuckles. I beleive my hands are just fatiqued, so I'm just laying off till next monday.

As far as goals, I plan on getting to the CoC #3 but basiclly would just like to squeeze "above average" in regards to grip strength. I can't wait to dive in and get a routine down. I am in the process of tracking down some blobs, and getting some projects started.

n8

Hi, my name is Aaron, I'm 19, 290lbs at 6'4''. I recently won the NASS teen national strongman contest. I just got my first CoC a few weeks ago, a #2, crushed it after a few tries with the right and after a week or so got it with the left. Just ordered a #3. I just read about can crushing on the forum, and tried it myself, it took a few squeezes but first a pin hole then it busted in half. I think I cheated though, most of the power came from my palms squeezing together and my chest. I've never trained grip before, that's why I'm here to learn how. Of course one of my goals is to crush the #3. I'd also like to learn to roll frying pans up.

Hi, I'm a newb here. I'm a PhD student by day and a recreational MMA fighter by night. I don't compete in MMA, but rather I compete in submission grappling. Grip and wrist strength are very important in my sports, so that's why I'm here.

My name is Ryan and I happened onto this board from Bodybuilding.com. I am workout out with weights and have been lacking in hand strength now that I've moved up to some larger weights. I've ordered a T, #1, #2 & #3 but have not received them yet. I've also ordered the KTA ebook so that I can get the most out of my training.

Hi Guys! My name is Tadas and I am from Lithuania. I'm 6"3 tall and my weight is 210 pounds. I began grip training about one month ago( wrist curls, static holds, deadlifts, grippers, plate pinching). I received my #1 IM gripper two weeks ago and i closed it straight out of the pack with my right hand. It took me two days to close it with a left. Now waiting for #2. Should come in one week.

My goal is to become a Captain of Crush which means closing #3 or #4.

Nice to meet you guys.

Edited by spursas

Hi,

My name is Steven Mestdagh, 27 years old, 90 kg (around 200lbs), I live in Belgium. I've been lifting weights for about seven years (with a few breaks)

I've only started adding grip training about six weeks ago. I felt it was the weak link in my cleans, chins, and deadlifts. I now have a CoC Trainer, #1, and #2, and am getting addicted to them. I cannot close the 2 yet, I'm at eight full reps on the nr1. I train them 2-3 times a week. Also getting started on pinch-grip and finger-tip push-ups.

I learned about this site through www.physicalculture.us, drugfree strength training and iron game page.

Wishing everyone much succes in their training,

Steven

Hi everyone,

my name is Christian I'm 31 years old (6’4”/209lbs; 195cm/95kg).

I live in Herne (Germany) and I've been grip training for about two weeks now.

I've done some grip work over the years but didn't really start training it seriously like you guys do. I have some experience in martial arts, like eagle claw Kung-Fu, where “strong hands” are very important to do some applications, especially the thumb!

I got interested in grip after talking to “Florian Kellersmann”, also a member here on the board. Florian and me we are using(~?) the same studio and one day I saw these funny “grip things” in our gym. Florian showed me some Hardware: Gripper, Rolling Thunder,… after I pinched 20kg I feel my thumb like never before! Cool! I really started to get a lot more interested in it.

Last week I closed the #1 and the RB160…you know my next goal ;)

Today I bought my fist gripper, so I can practise at home. Additional I go two times a week to the studio for a workout on the other things.

I began 10 days ago – but leave space for me in the lists of the certified ;) – I’m on target! ;-)

My Screenname is the title of a track from the W.A.S.P. Album “Live…in the Raw”:

“Call me...the manimal…half beast - half man…” :rock …I was listening to the CD when I joined the gripboard.

Christian Kubiak

Sorry about my poor English… your welcome to send me mistakes via PM!

Edited by manimal