NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Anyway im just here to ask if anyway has any "tricks" or training programs they could share.

There are no "tricks" to grip training. You either have the strength to close a particular gripper or you don't.

If you don't, then you TRAIN. It's just like any other weight progression program - you do it and you get stronger.

Just like the grippers... you have the Trainer, the #1, #2, #3 and #4. For example: if you can't close the #1 then you do work on the Trainer and build your strength, etc.

BTW, what are your grip goals?... to someday close the #3?

There are no "tricks" to grip training

Setting the dogleg against your palm, that's a trick

Setting the dogleg against your palm, that's a trick

Uh, how is this considered a trick? You still have to close the gripper.

There are no "tricks" to grip training. You either have the strength to close a particular gripper or you don't.

It's a figure of speech, let's not get hung up on it.

Pasta, read this thread.

Why do you assume his goal is to close the #3, snott? I'd think the both hands having SURGERY has something to do with it.

Pasta, (got a first name?) welcome to the board. Can you tell us about your accident? It's good to see that you are taking measures to regain your strength. You've come to the right place to learn about developing your hands. Sounds like you might want to pay special attention to info on recovery/recuperation techniques.

Had surgery......hmmm......

Shot rotations/dexterity balls and block weights.

A light sledge would be good too.

-HH

Hello. I'm new to this forum and found it via Eric Godfrey's website. I'm currently using the Ironmind grippers, block weights, and recently bought a "Go-really" from Ironmind to build up between the #2 and #3 COC grippers.

Lots of intersting info here! Anyone post some block weight tips for the new guys?

Thanks in advance.

Signed,

guy40

Thanks for all the replies, my current goal is to close the #T im pretty near but just can squeeze it to the very end. i prefer short term goals :)

About the accident, truck drove over my car.

Im willing to try pretty much anything that could work

That "tricks" was just an figure of speech nothing else, i didnt expect someone telling me a way to get a magic fairy to appear and close the gripper for me :blush

i also started going to the gym on mondays wednesdays and fridays but im still a beginner.

Im not sure should i always train to failure with my store gripper until i can close the #T or?

All kinds of tips would be appreciated :happy

I used to be dead set on training to failure, my opinions on it have changed recently. Either way you can make progress, and as much as I hate how much this statement is thrown around, "you gotta find what works best for you." I don't think it would be a good idea for you to train to exhaustion though, I'd stop a rep or two short in the majority of my workouts, saving 'to-failure' workouts for testing your max once in a while.

Can you tell us more about your situation? A truck ran over your car? Were your hands completely crushed? What's the damage report? How long ago was this? The more you can tell us, the more we can offer advice, but for a situation as dramatic as yours, you could be just as much inspiration to us as some of the heavy hitters on the board.

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Try negatives: close the gripper with both hands and then try to hold it closed with just the one. You need to get a lot of work in that last 1/4"-1/2" because that's the hardest part to finish off a gripper. You'll need to buy the #1 too 'cause after joining the gripboard you'll be crushing the T for reps in no time.

:blush The accident happened a few months back, my right arm's palm was crushed and the tendons were cut off also my shoulder got crushed and other damage to my body also appeared so i had to stay in the hospital for quite a while. my left hand got it easier but it was also damaged badly, my left hand was broken to 3 pieces.

So i stayed in the hospital for over a month and when i got back i lost a great deal of strenght and expecially in my arms so thats why i started grip training.

Now im trying to close #T im sooo near :) but still so far. i tried to do negatives with both hands i can crush it but when i let the other hand go it immedialetly goes back to the positio nwhere i can close it with the other hand :ohmy

If anyone could post some kind of gripper program their using it would be appreciated like,

3 sets of negatives with #insertgripper here

3x10 with #setgripper here

:stuart

Pasta, maybe you could keep a log In the workout and training routine section so others can give you advice as you progress. Just a Thought.

KC. Vezeau

Pasta, try this: carry the #T around with you everyday and give it a squeeze whenever the urge arises. Atleast 10 times a day for one week. Don't mistake this as 10 workouts with the gripper, think of it as practice. Then once a week rep out on your plastic gripper and do negatives with the #T and wheatever else. Also try over crushes with the plastic one... try and actually crush those puny little plastic handles.

:yikes

Hi all! Johnny Monstrous here.....I trained grip with a little book/pamphlet called Feats of Strength when I was 18 and did party tricks like ripping phone books and once a license plate. I only started training grip again this year at age 29. I am 6'1" and I weigh 250 pounds. I closed the CoC #2 7 times out of the package, but can only close it still 7 times - not more. I use a wrist roller, and pinch grip sometimes - 2-25s for 60 second holds. Trying to get 35s. I work a 3rd shift job, and sitting on my desk as I type is the IM Bag of Nails. I have never tried bending before, but it sound scool, and damn fun! I mostly lift now for muscle mass - it is going well. I actually dropped 30 pounds of fat doing Body For Life and have gained about 15 lean pounds back slowly - so I don't look like a fat mess anymore! Anyhow - grip training is fascinating for me - i would love to crush the #3 and continue after that. I am also interested in thick bar one arm deadlifting. I just started one arm deadlifting this year, and the most I got was 300 even for one with a normal Olympic bar at the standard health club. I know my grip will only get better by incorporating thick bar work into my regimen.

I am lackadaisical about training grip - I do so about every 2 weeks, but might start doing a set routine - training probably twice a week. I usually go high intensity low volume, and I keep it that way for grip. I cruch the #1 at work every night about every 3-5 minutes just for fun. It is pretty light, so I don't count it as a workout, but I just want to keep gripping. I will try to keep my posts shorter - just with working the 3rd shift I have about 6 free hours a night. LOL - I actually do Pilates here as well - trying to gain better flexibility. What a job I have!

I know this board will help me tons with furthering my iron grip strength. Thank you to everyone for the inspiration and selfless assistance that you offer! :mosher

Edited by johnnymonstrous

Alright so here's my introductory post, I'm just starting to get serious about grip training. I'm not gonna get into what I'm doing just yet cause, well, I'm just starting to get serious about grip training. ;)

Anyway, there you go. Can I gp post now? :laugh

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd give a breif history about myself. My first experiences with grip "training" was when my mom bought me a brass gripper from some swapmeet. I was about 11 or 12 and I used that thing all the time. The first time I had my grip measured was during football in 11th grade. Measurement was by dynamometer and it registered 128. I never trained grip much after that until a friend gave me a store bought gripper. It was suprisingly hard. I used it a bit and then I happened upon the old gripboard a couple of years ago. After that I bougth a "T", #1, #2, and #3. I got to where I could close the #2 5x with my right and 3x with my left. Then I only used them every few days but I could still close the #2 for a few reps on good days.

Two months ago, I tried to break up a dog fight and got both hands bit. The right was torn up. Luckily no tendon or nerve damage (needless to say, the dog no longer walks among the living). I was off work for 3 weeks and the area of the scar is still tender. I then decided to start using the grippers again. Grabbed the #2 and was about 1/2" from closing it. I was surprised I was so far. Now I've been gripping fairly hard the last week or so and I can close the #2 once with the right and about 1/4" away with the left. My goal now is the BIG 3. and when I do...I'm gonna treat myself to a nice gripper tattoo!

Well, thanks for listening and I look forward to lots of learning from you all.

Ed

Hello there! I am new here - just got the bag o' nails from Ironmind and have started with the white nails. They bent as if they were wire, and I broke the first three. It was much harder unbending them and then breaking them. I tried the yellow nail, but was unsuccessful.

I am now pinch gripping 2 35 pound plates, and I just ordered that Dynaflex Power Ball Gyro. I hope I don't bust my wrist - that seems like a crazy toy/exercise item! LOL - I apologize if anyone saw my old avatar - I posted the wrong pic. My regular pic is back up. Thanks everyone, and keep up the great work!

- Johnny Monstrous

Hi guys.

Pretty new to serious grip training. Done bits and pieces over the years, but just playing about really, until a couple of months ago when i decided to put a bit more effort into it.

Still can't do much but I'm making steady progress on the following routine:

A.Grip machine and hub gripper

B. Pinch grip and rolling thunder

All are done for 6-10 singles. On the grip machine I'm using 62kg, Hub 20kg, Pinch(3 inch wooden block) 32kg and RT 56kg.

Noi specific goals at the moment i just want to increase my overall hand strength then I'll go for something more specific.

Colin

Muaha... Sup guys.. Names Kurt.. Known as PeCz over on Fortified Iron. Im 17, about 170lbs Intrested mainly in Grip and Strongman, still do Powerlifting a little. Lifts are still small. 230 Bench 250 Ass to Claves Squat and 405 Deadlift. I love the deadlift as much as I love grip. Ive been using the Ironmind Gripper since November now, Close the #3 in May, right as they change the certification process of course. Bending Close to a Blue IM nail now, Trying to bring up my bending.

Anything else just send me a message or get me on AIM... Name: BlackD0tz

Peace, Ill be posting constantly!

Hello, my name is Johan and I´m new to this board. I would just like to introduce myself so all of you know who you are dealing with here. :D

First of all, I´m a swede so english is just my second language (swedish first and german third and i´m trying to learn japanese as a fourth). My grammar and spelling may not be the best but I guess you´ll still understand what I´m writing here. hehe

I´m 21 years of age this summer, and I have been in love with the weight game since I was 14 years old when my older brother took me to a local gym for the first time, God, I was so sore I could not move for two weeks after that.

In the beginning my training was the "traditional" high-volume approach but I got lucky and discoverd the teachings of Arthur Jones, Mike Mentzer, Brooks Kubik, Dr. Ken Leistner to name a few, on a early basis and I have never looked back since then.

I have for quite some time only been interested in bodybuilding, and I still am, but latley I have turned over to raw powerlifting and my main focus these days is to improve my squat, bench and deadlift. My best lifts are not to impressive due to injuries but here it goes.

Squat: 230kg (510lbs)

Bench: 130kg (288lbs)

Deadlift: 250kg (555lbs)

I have had serious problems with my shoulders and that´s why my benchpress sucks so bad. I have also torn my left erector spinae (one of those muscles in your lower back that supports your spine) but that has healed nicley now. I don´t even use a belt for my lifts.

When I´m not in the gym I´m in the Dojo teaching a martial art called Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

I´ve always been interested with hand/forearm strength but I have never really trained for longer periods of time on improving that area of my body but that is about to change and I´m aiming to close CoC No:3 next summer. I´ve had CoC 1-3 for some time now and I closed the No:1 out of the bag and I was able to close the No:2 within a week and even though I have not trained with them for some time now I´m still able to rep with the No:2. I can also get the handels on my No:3 furter then parallell som my goal of crushing the No:3 is not unrealistic.

That´s it for now folks, have a great day!

I'm keesh, and I too have broken the rules and posted (once) without an intro so here it is:

I'm a newbie powerlifter who a year ago through powermags & Milo found the CoC's and then 2 months ago they led me to "short steel'!!

Although I've only kinked an IM yellow and haven't quite fully closed the CoC #2, one day I did go beserk on a 2" car key for a relentless 5 min. and broke it (only 2 paper towels to protect my fingers).

Unfortunately this messed up the tendons in my hands and I'm going back to square one to build up some real base strength in my wrists/hands before going back to the nails (no keys though) :(

I think finding out about this forum (thanks to Eric "Bender") will be a big help. You guys rock!!

My name is Simon I am from N.Ireland (UK).

I have been a member of this board since April, and have learned a lot in that time.

I have been training grip with grippers since febuary 2004, in the past I have done all the usual wrist curls etc using barbells, also timed holds with barbells, wrist roller. I did it as an after thought, once I had finished my planned workout for that day.

I am a big reader of Hardgainer magazine and read a lot of articles praising a strong grip, then I read about the COC grippers and decided to buy them, I have been hooked ever since.

I bought KTA, went through it and closed the #2, I am now in Phase 2 going for the #3.

My goals are to close the #3 and have a good go at the #4

I have other goals in my normal workouts as well I feel they are important for success in every part of my workouts and I suppose in all parts of life in general.

This is my first, and probably my only post until I get some more experience and accomplishments to my name. So here is a little about me, I'm 28, been goofing around with weights since I was 15, started really getting into grip about a year ago. So far I can get the CoC "3 to parellel with my right (non-dominant hand) and can barely budge it with my left (dominant hand, weird, huh?) I'm a chubby 5'10" 285, but working on getting more solid and live in northern Georgia, pretty close to Sybersnott actually. My best lifts are 340x20 in the squat and 500x1 in the deadlift. I don't bench but I do dips. For some odd reason bench kills my shoulders and dips don't bother me in the least. I have dipped with my chubby ass plus an 85lb dumbell for five reps. That about sums me up. Anyone in Georgia wants to get together to train drop me a line. I have a decent set-up in the basement. Oh, I plan on going to the Home Depot soon to stock on some bolts to start a bending routine. So good luck, lift heavy and rock hard. :rock