Dinnie Stones Type Lifts

OldGuy

I have done in the past. Only one hand at a time though.

I believe the rings we used where the same dimensions as the rings on the actual Dinnie stones (Dave had these made when he was training to lift the stones I think). I only tried one hand at a time though. That was with the larger ring and it really cut into my hand :angry:

I am using a ring that is 5/8'' thick After using only thick handles for a long time with onehanded lifts, It does cut into my hand as the pressure is far less spread out.

Yes.

We have 2 different sized rings.We are useing the IRON MIND loading pin also.

I think-because you are able to lift so much MORE weight on the Ring that it may? indirectly help the Rolling Thunder lift in the long run.(which is one of our goals)I.E.We can do 'X"amount of weight on the RT.Then 'X'amount on the non revolving rolling thunder(a lot more of course)and 'somewhere around' :cool double our Rolling Thunder with the ring....which should result(along with having a good ring lift maximum)in conditioning the erectors and even shoulders and other supportive muscle groups. This should-eventually-make the lighter poundages( lifted on the Rolling Thunder) a 'pure grip' movement...i.e.the Rolling Thunder 'lift' itself will eventually seem effortless.....

IT is a very rewarding lift.Just hard to load and unload the darn loading pin.But... loading up for wrist rolling is a hassle now also.

I go along with your thinking that heavy non revolving and ring lifts with onehand will help you on the RT. The weight will not be much of a factor mainly grip. My new loading pin has made it easier to add or remove plates. When I am doing the onehanded lifts, I do not hoist up the lifting arm, but try just to hang on and straighten the legs. So far my ring lift and non revolving 2 3/8'' handle lift are almost the same, but it's early days yet.

of course i meant our ring lift is 'somewhere' :whistel around twice as much as our Revolving Handle, Rolling Thunder lift(not twice as much as our non revolving rolling thunder lift).

My grip being the worse AND having the smallest hands actually- of the guys i train with -so i jump WAY up on the Ring lift....once that 'handle'gets smaller i'm in the ballpark with the others...still minor league but the same ball park. ;)

Your hands being larger may make the difference less-between your non revolving rolling thunder and your ring lift?

OR it may take some getting used to the very small handle?Ours is a 1 inch ring.(industrial weldless ring)so that 5/8"may actually be limiting your lift?by cutting into your hand?

The ring does hurt but I don't let that stop me. There has been no hand damage so far. I do have a 1 1/4'' handle I could use but have not yet tried. Looking at the pic of the Dinnie stones themselves the ring looks at least as thin as mine, and I want to simulate that .

Thats sort of why i want to find out EXACTLY the circumference of the ring handles that most are useing?

I guess when /IF i report/photgraph some big lifts i'm afraid someone will comeback and tell me the handle i use makes it easier or some such minor controversy.

On the other hand -like anything else-the pain or pressure from the 5/8" lifting ring would likely just take some conditioning and getting used to.

The large ring is 7 1/2" in diameter and the smaller is 4 3/4".

The height of the large stone (to top of ring) is 21 1/2" and the small is 19". The length and width of the stones is probably also a factor:

23 1/2 x 22 1/2" and 21 1/2" x 20"

I took this info from Iron Grip Vol1 No.1 page 19 BTW. Hope you don't mind Dave :unsure .

Thanks for that info on the Dinnie stones dimensions. I have 4 3/4'' for the ring and needed the height for the lift from ground to the top of ring. You can learn anything here!

I measured these stones when Nick and I lifted them in front of David Webster and Gordon Dinnie.

The small ring is oval shape and is 4 3/4" x 5 3/4". Also the ring bar circumference is 2", and 2 1/2" on the large ring.

David

Guest mikebyoung

I have the makings to create my own Dinnie stone (just been too busy to put it together). Here's my plan:

Set a heavy chain into a large bucket, a few pieces of re-bar through a few of the links for extra support(maybe over-kill).

Pour cement into the bucket,leaving a foot of chain protruding from the top.

Whaa-Laa...that's it.

I can use a clip to attatch a ring to the chain.

And I can slip extra plates over the extra chain as I get stronger.

Ok...I know a loading pin and plates will do much the same....but this will look pretty bad-ass...no?

Edited by mikebyoung

Sounds more like the "Mikey" stone to me! It would be nice to use a real stone. If I come across suitable stones I might fix rings to them and train with them out in the yard.