Getting Nails Like Ironmind From A Hardware Store

Steel344

I'm interested in this as well, i'm in the UK and am interested in what the equivilant nails are to the different colours.

Are the different colours a different thickness, or a different type of metal?

Thanks,

Calv.

I've just had a look around the forums and found this, looks like a good guide to buying the equivelant bots from the hardware store...

5) What are some common bending stocks and their dimensions?

Iron Mind's Nails

White - 3/16"x6"

Green - 3/16"x5"

Yellow - 1/4"x7"

Blue - 1/4"x6"

Red - 5/16" x 7"

So basicaly, if i go to the store and buy some 5/16" of steel, cut it to 7in, this will be like bending a red nail?

Hopefully someone else could confirm this?

Thanks,

Calv.

Edited by Calv

I've just had a look around the forums and found this, looks like a good guide to buying the equivelant bots from the hardware store...

Iron Mind's Nails

White - 3/16"x6"

Green - 3/16"x5"

Yellow - 1/4"x7"

Blue - 1/4"x6"

Red - 5/16" x 7"

So basicaly, if i go to the store and buy some 5/16" of steel, cut it to 7in, this will be like bending a red nail?

Thanks,

Calv.

Manufacturers, batches, etc. will all vary, even batches of reds, bastards, etc. The Steelworks CRS 5/16" I've bought feels very similar to the reds I've bent and I've heard that their HRS doesn't feel any different either. The only way to know is to just try it.

"Testing" steel should be the real thing. Workout steel can be almost anything. In general all the steel you will need starting out will be CR for Cold Rolled. CRR is Round - HRR is Hot Roll Round. Hot roll varies a LOT. If you buy CRR in the appropriate size of 3/16" - 1/4" - 5/16" etc - you will be in the ballpark at least for IM and FBBC stock. Timber ties and 60d nails are also good beginning to intermediate stock.

Try 40d nails and 1/4"x6" grade 2 bolts, tougher than the green but they will help you with the yellow and blue.

I picked up a bunch of grade 2 bolts from tractor supply (8lbs cost me 14 bucks) I think they were 1/4 by 7 inch. Might be in your best interest to check this store out if it is in your area. Hope this helps...

What can I get from a hardware store or at a home depot that is more like an ironmind green nail and yellow nail?

When I was bending the 3/16" stuff, I spent a lot of time mastering my technique with 6" G2 bolts. Many of these are not much harder than the white and green nails. In my experience though, it was a bigger jump from the G2s to the yellow nail. (I had a lot more trouble with 7" stock at the time.) 60d timber ties are great too fro bridging the gap to a yellow/blue nail.

Iron Mind's Nails

White - 3/16"x6"

Green - 3/16"x5"

Yellow - 1/4"x7"

Blue - 1/4"x6"

Red - 5/16" x 7"

Thanks,

Calv.

Manufacturers, batches, etc. will all vary, even batches of reds, bastards, etc. The Steelworks CRS 5/16" I've bought feels very similar to the reds I've bent and I've heard that their HRS doesn't feel any different either. The only way to know is to just try it.

That makes me feel good. I've only done a Steelworks CRS once, also a Crown Bolt HRS (which I hear is not true HRS, but hard like CRS). Of course batches can change a lot, either way makes me feel better about not being able to bend one since I did those pieces. Still need to get my kink up to speed for a Red and the rest is money :rock

Iron Mind's Nails

White - 3/16"x6"

Green - 3/16"x5"

Yellow - 1/4"x7"

Blue - 1/4"x6"

Red - 5/16" x 7"

Thanks,

Calv.

That makes me feel good. I've only done a Steelworks CRS once, also a Crown Bolt HRS (which I hear is not true HRS, but hard like CRS). Of course batches can change a lot, either way makes me feel better about not being able to bend one since I did those pieces. Still need to get my kink up to speed for a Red and the rest is money :rock

Glad to have helped....now go mash up that bugger!! :-D

• 4 years later...

This seemed like the proper place to pose a newbie type question. How much more difficult is it to bend a 7" piece of 5/16" round bar than a 6" piece of 1/4" round bar? Not taking into account differences between manufacturers, HRS vs CRS, etcetera. Just a general idea of the increase in difficulty. Thank you in advance!

That's the link I was going to post. And since this has been answered and the thread is 4 years old I'm going to lock this.

Another good link

http://www.az-grip.com/calibration.php

Edited by EJ Livesey