Gripping And Other Adventures

Six Barrel Shotgun

Starting a log here to keep track of my training.

I'm 22 years old, soon 23, and live in Örebro, Sweden.

Some of my personal bests:

Grippers:

R: Heaviest gripper closed: RB300N (would rank this as approximately a 3.1) or 2 reps on my "easy" CoC #3.

L: Heaviest gripper closed: My filed down RB180 (would rank this as an hard CoC #2) or 4 reps on my "easy" CoC #2.

The reason i'm so much stronger on my right hand is because I in the beginning of my grip training only trained grippers with my right hand, very dumb I know. Hope to climb to my FBBC 3X with my left hand, this year (about an "easy" CoC #2.5 in ranking).

2HP: 80,5 kg (177,4 pounds)

Vbar: 113,5 kg (250 pounds) x 1 with R, 102,5 kg (225 pounds) x 1 with L.

TTK: Negatives: R:18 kg. (39.6 pounds) L:12,75 kg (28 pounds) L. (L can be slightly wrong, writing from my head now..)

Holds: R: 7 kg (15,4 pounds) for 49 seconds. L: 6 kg (13 pounds) for 46 seconds.

One hand deadlift: R: 96,5 kg (212,7 pounds) x 1. V: 90,5 kg (199,5 pounds) x 1

Rolling Thunder (old handle): R: 69 kg (152 pounds) x 1. L: 64 kg (141 pounds) x 1.

Roll Ups with towel, bucket and weights: 1,5 kg x (3,3 pounds) x 1 (both hands).

Perhaps write in more later. But I aim to be much stronger! :tongue

--

I'll update with goals for 2011 later.

I'll also update with training for the day. Blob50 training waits.. :)

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Time to make my first write down =) BTW, I hope this journal may help me improve my english skills.

TTK

Negatives:

R: 18 kg x 1 (39.6 pounds) (touched PB)

L: 13 kg x 1 (28.6 pounds) (PB)

+ 2 set where I started on low weight and quickly put more weights on, to failure.

BLOB50

My biggest goal right now is to lift this thing.

Negative holds:

R: 3

L: 3

Very short negatives. I am not able to keep the friggin thing for not much more then 1 second.

Cheat lifts turned into negatives:

R: 4 (set 3 with +2,5 kg (5,5 pounds), set 4 and 5 with + 2,25 kg (4,9 pounds))

L: 4 (set 3 with +2,5 kg (5,5 pounds), set 4 and 5 with + 2,25 kg (4,9 pounds))

On the first sets with no extra weight i had just 1 or 2 fingers on. With weights on I had all fingers on, except thumb.. :flame )

Two hands holds:

Set 1: + 2,5 kg (5,5 pounds for about 3 sec.

Set 2: + 2,5 kg (5,5 pounds for about 4 sec.

Set 3: + 2,5 kg (5,5 pounds for about 2 sec.

2,5 kg (5,5 pounds was a bit much, yesterday I holded 2 kg for 10 seconds.

Set 4: 2,25 kg (4,9 pounds) for 9 seconds (how can 0,25 kg (0,5 pounds) make such a difference ?!

I hope cheat lifts turned into negatives, with more weight, can help me to make longer negative holds, with no weights on.

--

I've had the blob for a week or 2 now. Bought it from Gordonv here on the board. Great deal!

For my body my idea is to focus on push ups, hindu squats and stone dummy. I've been slacking in all 3 lately, so it's time to get a groove on.

My personal best in push ups is 60, on a BW of around 115 kg (253,5 pounds). I got from 28 to 60 by following the hundredpushups.com program. Right after that I followed The evil Russian’s “hit the deck” program, but I just did week 1 if I remember correct, anyway I lost many reps with that program. Perhaps cuz I ate to little, so the body could'nt recover, i dunno.

Anyway a few months later with minimum push ups I am down to 39 (yesterday). That does'nt feel very good. So now I started the hundredpushups.com program again. Hopefully I can get back to 60 reps and perhaps beyond.

So today I started on week 3 since I am over 25 in reps:

Hundredpushups program

Week 3, day 1

Set 1: 14 reps - 14 reps done.

Set 2: 18 reps - 18 reps done.

Set 3: 14 reps - 14 reps done.

Set 4: 14 reps - 14 reps done.

Set 5: Max (at least 20 reps) - 25 reps done.

I'm back at it!!

how do you train with your TTK 18 kg sounds like a lot!

Hilsen fra Norge :mosher

CT:

I just press down the weight with both thumbs, then hold back as much as I possibly can with 1 thumb. If I can hold back the weight for a minimum of about 4 seconds I call it a OK set. Preferably 5 seconds though. I just count in my head though, so it's not any exact numbers.

EDIT: I really dont know what is a common technique for others who do negatives on TTK. But I like it that way.

Just did my first set of hindu squats in a long time. I suprised myself by setting a new PR!

Hindu squats, just one set:

BW x 115 in 5 minutes time. (PB)

Totally exhausting to say the least..

My bodyweight is around 119 kg today.

--

I think body weight exercises is a great challenge for me, as of my high bodyweight.

Hey Frank!

Thanks man, that motivates me even further :)

To clarify on the hindu squats, I do not do the arm movement, since I exercise it simply for legs endurance/strenght.

But then again as someone said nevertheless.. squats cure cancer and makes your arms bigger.. :grin:

Played around with some Bar Twirling tonight.

I recently started doing this exerice and have been doin it with a Vbar so far. Managed to get a 4 minute session with my right hand. Thats a PB, 4 minutes is also PB for left hand.

I also tried a bit with a 155 centimeters (61 inches according to google) bar. Feelt good as well, i dont know if it is better for endurance though, have to try more to get a feeling of it. Anyway it turned into more of an dexterity exercise with the longer bar, since I dropped it several times.

I like Bar Twirling for endurance training. My goal is to be able to twirl my 8 kg barbell.

I rethinked a little about the twirling. Im not so sure I should have 8 kg barbell twirling as a goal. It would be more strenght focus on that, not so much endurance (i think). And I do the exercise for endurance.. so..

But I must say again that I really like it for endurance training.

Aew, time to stop rambling on. =O.

I rethinked a little about the twirling. Im not so sure I should have 8 kg barbell twirling as a goal. It would be more strenght focus on that, not so much endurance (i think). And I do the exercise for endurance.. so..

But I must say again that I really like it for endurance training.

Aew, time to stop rambling on. =O.

If you're looking for some interesting "twirling" and such check out Andrew Durniat's barbell juggling.

If you're looking for some interesting "twirling" and such check out Andrew Durniat's barbell juggling.

Thanks for the tip, i'll look into that.

Grip training goals for 2011:

Grippers:

Close a gripper that ranks as a 3.3 or 3.4 (RH).

Close my FBBC 3X that ranks as a "easy" CoC #2.5 (LH).

Pinch:

Lift my Blob 50 (both hands).

Dexterity:

Roll Ups: Do a strict single with 3,25 kg (7 pounds) in the bucket (both hands).

Bending:

Bend a IM Blue Nail, DO, under 30 sec.

Thumb strenght:

25 kg (55 pounds) in negative (RH).

20 kg (44 pounds) in negative (LH).

Supporting strenght:

100 kg (220 pounds) in one hand deadlift (Both hands).

2011 years goal for the body:

167 hindu squats in 5 minutes time.

Be able to do over 60 push ups in december 2011.

Lift my own bodyweight in Stone Dummy.

When you accomplish this goal you can borrow my blob50 and do a double blob lift/farmers walk. I live in Vasastan in Örebro. A stone throw from resecentrum.

I don't really use mine that often anymore. Only from time to time when I'm into pinch. I've never been able to pick it up though. Been close, but never gotten it.

When you accomplish this goal you can borrow my blob50 and do a double blob lift/farmers walk. I live in Vasastan in Örebro. A stone throw from resecentrum.

I don't really use mine that often anymore. Only from time to time when I'm into pinch. I've never been able to pick it up though. Been close, but never gotten it.

David! That sounds amazing, man!!!

IF (!) i accomplish this goal to lift it with both hands, i PM you about meeting up. Big thanks to you David, for giving me this opportunity.

Would be a really cool video.. But your barehanded bending is hard to beat :) I often think about how cool it is.. hehe.. too painful for me though.. ;)

I thought about starting training with my Blob50 6 days a week, gripper KTA style, think it may be a good idea? Probably start it tomorrow. Complementing with TTK, twirling and what not.

--

Was going to do Stone Dummy today, but my legs is killing me after the hindu squats. I had not done it in a month or more, so i'll have myself to blame. Will try to do it once a week from now.

Today I have closed CoC #2 once with LH, CoC #3 once with RH. The plan is to do a session with coin holds later today.

The plan is to do a session with coin holds later today.

Was going to do the session after dinner, but instead I feel asleep after dinner.. duh..

Hundredpushups program

Week 3, day 2

Set 1: 20 reps - 20 reps done.

Set 2: 25 reps - 25 reps done.

Set 3: 15 reps - 15 reps done.

Set 4: 15 reps - 15 reps done.

Set 5: Max (at least 25 reps) - 28 reps done.

7 minutes rest between set 4 and 5.

A not so spectacular workout:

Some negative holds with Blob50. Managed to get a 2sec hold with RH, no succes with LH.

TTK, Negatives:

RH: 18 kg x 1 (touched PB)

LH: 13 kg x 1 (touched PB)

2 set for each thumb where I started a hold with low weight, to quickly put on weights to failure.

Some twirling. I really feel now that for me the 155 cm long bar is best for dexterity, where the Vbar suits me better for endurance training.

that's all for now.. (=

Did Vbar twirling for 4 minutes and 5 seconds (RH) which is PB.

With left hand I dropped it 2 times. It feelt good for both hands though.

Next time I probably add a pound or two do make it more difficult.

Roll Ups:

Warm up: CoC #2, LH, 2 rep. CoC #3, RH, 2 rep. First 2 repper on CoC #3, for quite some time.

With bucket and no extra weights:

RH: 1

LH: 1

With bucket and 0,25 kg (0,5 pounds):

With bucket and 1 kg (2,2 pounds):

With bucket and about 1,5 kg (3,3 pounds):

With bucket and about 1,75 kg (3,85 pounds):

RH: 1 (PB)

LH: 0

Lenght: About 10 minutes.

1,5 kg feelt easy for both hands, so I tried to increase a little. 1,75 was too tough for LH but I did it with RH at least. Hope to do it soon with LH too.

--

Above I just count succesful set, not misses.

I roll with a bath towel which I cut to golf towel size, per Brookfields tip in one of his books.

Hundredpushups program

Week 3, day 3

Set 1: 22 reps - 22 reps done.

Set 2: 30 reps - 30 reps done.

Set 3: 20 reps - 20 reps done.

Set 4: 20 reps - 20 reps done.

Set 5: Max (at least 28 reps) - 30 reps done.

About 8 minutes rest between set 4 and 5.

Thanks Ben! Yeah it felt good, especially good since it was a while ago.

With grippers i'm aiming towards KTA later this year :) I have done pretty much ALL my big gripper gains via KTA, so I hope to be lucky with it this year again.

Today i'm aiming towards blob training.. :tongue

BLOB50 workout

Without extra weights.

Negative holds:

RH: Two 2 sec holds.

LH: Same as RH.

Cheat lifts:

RH: 3 set where I assisted with my index finger.

LH: Same as RH.

2 hands holds:

Set 1: About 20 sec (PB).

Set 2: About 13 sec.

Set 3: About 9-10 sec.

Counted roughly in my head.

The workouts lenght: About 12 minutes.

I'm aiming towards another BLOB50 workout tonight, where I tape on extra weights to the blob.

Managed to do a single on Roll Ups, with 1,75 kg (3,85 pounds) for both hands, earlier. So that's a PB for LH. Touched PB with RH.

BLOB50

With extra weights.

Cheat lifts:

+ 2,5 kg (5,5 pounds). 3 times (both hands) with index and long finger. 2 times with just long finger (both hands).

2 hands holds:

Set 1: + 2,5 kg (5,5 pounds) for about 11 sec

Set 2: as above for about 9-10 sec

Set 3: as above for about 8-9 sec

Set 4: as above for about 7-8 sec

Set 5: as above for about 5 sec

Set 6: as above for about 5 sec

Set 7: as above for about 3-4 sec

Set 5, 6, 7 without rest in between.

Will definitely increase weight next workout.