Bright Stars Of Grip..time To Shine!

1stCoC

Sounds awesome.

I would bring my Euro Pinch if needed. We could do a last man standing...just throwing it out there :whistel

Sounds like we maybe looking at a crazy pinch medley of sorts.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• mobsterone

• andurniat

• climber511

Seems like the pot of interest is boiling...a huge sport media group is looking at doing a story on one of last years Mighty Mittzers. As I said before IF the grip community unites and moves forward in a positive, quality way.. grip, the thing we all love will become mainstream and at very least your mighty efforts will be better appreciated by "the masses".

On a similar vein one of the Men's Fitness (UK edition) writers is competing in a leg of the BSH (first leg). He'll be doing a write up and a photographer from the magazine is attending.

Opportunities... maybe we'll get a third crack (with such things coming in threes). That said I'm working (doing grip) at London Excel in March and the NEC in May (last year had 25,000 through the door over a weekend).

Final competitor list is going together as I write this. There is still possibly an opening or two that "can be" last minute considered. If you are real good or great GET your name,resume, and video clip in! I am almost sure the Henry Bell will be a prize offered "side" event to open to all the Strongmen and Mighty Mitts guys. The committee is in accord with the fourth Mighty Mitts event therefore it will be a weighted sled pull with a 4" wide(thick) straight sided metal (hollow) pinch block. It will be a two hand pinch affair with hands held fairly close similar to a Euro pinch setup.It will likely will not be a "for time" event rather for weight and distance of pull. This is a real test of pinch and hand strength so, overall body strength and mass is not an absolute requirement for success.

Our thanks to Paul Knight for offering and helping us in locating some new men with mighty hands.It's a lot of fame and money on the line so, if you have the guts.... get the glory.RS

An additional plus for some of the guys. The double Inch replica deadlift and carry a feat (almost thought impossible a few years ago) has been modified a bit this year. A ONE hand carry of the bell then, upon failure placed down and the second "fresh" hand used to complete the "total" distance. Due to the less sheer weight and greater ability to focus we should see some great distances.RS

An additional plus for some of the guys. The double Inch replica deadlift and carry a feat (almost thought impossible a few years ago) has been modified a bit this year. A ONE hand carry of the bell then, upon failure placed down and the second "fresh" hand used to complete the "total" distance. Due to the less sheer weight and greater ability to focus we should see some great distances.RS

I think that is a good idea. Anything that makes the event longer on something like that is more interesting to the audience.

At the Fit Expo, Terry Todd was sitting near the front watching the final event, the Inch deadlift for reps. Very well-received by the audience. And, although it may seem a little "old" to grip guys, the general strength population, with a little more exposure under its belt, is appreciating it more and more. I guess I could summarize and say that the more a "famous" or exposed an implement is, the more appreciation the audience has for it, and the longer that it is out there (averaging over 50 feet instead of 5), the more they will enjoy it. My 2 cents...

I don't think this is a good idea, it's going to be more a strength feat then grip. It makes it a lot easier for people to /pushrest bell up against side or side of leg, stop the rotation, take weight out of hand... etc

Good point kurt. We have certainly looked at this point and the Inch replica bell, and how it is carried ie: level, centered hand hold and not resting against the body will be carefully watched.Any infractions will result in possible "no lift" rulings. I think wqith as talented and honest a group as we have this won't be much of a problem. Thanks for your observation.RS

• 2 weeks later...

I just received word that the intended overal prize money will be over TRIPLE what it was last year and perhaps even more for next year! This contest will be something! Best wishes to those gripboard members representing their grip community.RS

That's great!

At the "Vise Grip Viking" contest down in LA last month, I think that the two pure "grip guys" (Andrew and Chad) proved that it takes a top notch pro strongman, one with an outstanding grip, to defeat the top "grip guys". There were a number of strongmen that dropped out as the competition went on. It was as if they may have thought it was "easy pickings" but it proved to be otherwise.

You have the right guys in the contest.

I just received word that the intended overall prize money will be over TRIPLE what it was last year and perhaps even more for next year! This contest will be something! Best wishes to those gripboard members representing their grip community.RS

Amazing.

That's great!

At the "Vise Grip Viking" contest down in LA last month, I think that the two pure "grip guys" (Andrew and Chad) proved that it takes a top notch pro strongman, one with an outstanding grip, to defeat the top "grip guys".

Agreed. I've thought this was the case for a while now.

This will be a real battle now. I will miss the Mobster on the main stage.... a lot of guts shown last year even with a mighty beat up leg! I think all are bringing their "A" game.This event will grow each year I envy the guys given the opportunity to be "the best"or at very least show their best.I think a big thank you is in order to Dr. Todd and David Webster for their continued efforts in making this event grow in scope and prestiege. Is Las Vegas covering the bets?????