Wrist Plate Curls

Tom Black

You were pretty hopeful about the amount of weight that could be used, looks like you could put 40-pounds on the end of that! In light of the small amount of weight that is needed I think it could be made with a threaded bolt in place of the pipe. I’ve secured up to 10-pounds easily on a sledgehammer with a 5/16” bolt, as long as it’s tight the plates will not move around. I use a large washer to account for the hole on a standard plate

When I put it together, I had no idea that a 5 pound plate would feel like a ton! I just grabbed a piece of 2 x 4 and a 5'' pipe nipple that were laying around and that was it. Even a few nails placed in a circle would serve to hold on a weight plate. What I don't like is that my son can lift more on it than I can. It is bad enough that he also cleans and presses more than me!

Oldguy,

When you get past the first few prototypes you'll have to put the how to build a plate curl trainer in the faq section!!

Jon@han

Guest wells

Simple design. :rock I have started making one for myself. Great idea OldGuy. :rock

OldGuy Quote: "What I don't like is that my son can lift more on it than I can. It is bad enough that he also cleans and presses more than me!"

Solution: 'Kidney Punch' your son before each of his attempts that way you'll get an edge on him everytime! :tongue

Guest Mikael Siversson
Tom I used a 5'' pipe nipple 1 7/8'' OD for the pin and it is held in place with an end cap screwed to the 2 x 4 at one end. I will post a pic later this evening. The reason I made it as long as the width of a 45 lb plate was to try to simulate the size and awkwardness of a 45.

It does not work. We tried it a couple of months ago and concluded that thumb strength is the limiting factor, not wrist strength.

You are not making any sense. You hold it and use it as if you were doing plate curls. Do plate curls not work either because of thumb strength being a limiting factor?

The limiting factor in plate curls is not wrist strength but finger (and particularly finger tips) strength. Wrist plate curls are harder because of the bad leverage for the fingers in the bent wrist position plus "dynamic vs static"... :erm

When I do plate curls the limiting factor isnt finger or thumb strength but wrist strength. Plate curls are after all a wrist exercise for most people.

"Curling regular weight plates may be the greatest wrist developer under the sun…"

"Curling plates is a great exercise to build wrist strength beyond your wildest dreams."

-John Brookfield, from "The Mastery of Hand Strength"

• Like 1

" I don't give a s##t of what Brookfield thinks, if you calculate the torque exerted on the wrist by a 45lbs plate you'll realise it is not that great. Appearances can be deceptive."

Amaury MACAIRE in "mastery of head strength" :tongue

Maybe because some of us have differing weak links with this movement, we have different muscles taking the brunt of the load. I personally find that it works my wrists, first and foremost.

Edited by eric milfeld

Guest wells

I really feel it in my thumbs, especially in the first knuckle area (knuckle closest to the hand). :blink

I find plate wrist curling to be a 'compound exercise'. Due to the type of pinch grip a combination of strength, flexibility and endurance from the thumb, fingers, hand, wrist, & forearm is required to perform this feat.

Wow, well done Arne ! That would have to be called a "very strict plate curl". Plate curling a 45 is a monster feat, but plate curling it this way would be unbelievable, go for it !

Guest wells

Show Off! :angry: ok I am sorry... :blush I am a bit jealous! :dry

Awesome feat Arne. I personally prefer extremely strict technique when performing any exercise. The slower and more 'concentrated' the better. I perform 15-20 second plate wrist curl reps; only my last set do I bang out reps quickly. I try to squeeze my muscles isometrically for some sets to add resistance to the movement.

Arne, that is an awesome plate curl!!!

This morning with a barbell I wrist curled 205 lbs for

5 reps.

I cannot plate wrist curl a 25 pounder. In my case I

lack finger strength.