Wrist Plate Curls

Tom Black

Instead of this turning into a big flame war, pull out the camera and take a pic of what you can do.... which is what Tom wanted in the first place. :tongue

Gripster, I'm 5' 10, 175lbs. Hand length 7 3/4in.,wrist's 8in.,not sure on the forearms. I have never done the "TTWC",the only wrist excer. I do are sledge hammers & weight plate's. I know that Nick Mckinless is stronger than me!!!! He is the one with the pic of the 45lb. plate curl,that is AWESOME :rock I havent been able to do much wrist work or pinch grip since my surgery,but I can get up a 40lb. blob with no problem now with my right hand.I was doing the 45lb.er really easy.But PRAISE GOD :bow I'm get'n my strength back

"GOD IS THE REAL POWER"

Thanks for your response Tommy. I'm glad to hear you are recovering. Your accomplishments are very impressive, especially for an average sized man. How long have you been training?

I think the big guys are impressive, but average guys like yourself are an inspiration to me. It makes me train with no doubts that I can't do something the bigs guys can.

By the way I'm only 5' 5" tall 155lbs. I've been training for around 1 year, but only a little more serious since joining board. I can now rep #2 9 times righty and almost 4 lefty. I can pinchgrip 2 35lb plate off the floor to a stand up position and hold for 8 to 9 seconds. Today I tried to plate curl a 25lb plate and did so 3 times. I'm going to focus on wrist strength the next few months.

Good luck with your recovery and all your training.

Great job with the 25lb plate Wrist curls. Do you or does anyone have an opinion which would be better for wrist training? Would it be plate curls or plate Wrist curls?

Do you prefer isometrics or a full range of motion? I think an exercise with a range of motion for the wrist (wrist plate curl) is the superior exercise, though the plate curl is better recognized as a grip feat. A really good wrist plate curl should be able to translate into a good strict plate curl, providing you have decent bicep strength.

Robert

Edited by RSW

Tommy,Thats a pretty decent hand size and pretty good sized wrist also.

In fact seems like a VERY big wrist for 5'10",175lbs?

I'm 3 inches taller and over 90 lbs heavier and My hand/wrist measurements are close to that.Just about 3/8" or?bigger in the wrist and about the same length Hands.I'll add that my wrists have very slowly gotten just a little larger over the last few years(5) of lifting and purposely gaining mass,perhaps even more so in the last 8 months of grip 'lifts'....so i likely started off with wrists at /or just around ,8 inches?(70 lbs ago)

VERY impressive(all of your grip feats)anyway you look at it.Especially at that BW???!!! :bow I have read your posts and had NO idea!!I just assumed you were somewhere over or at least around 200plus#

I can't plate curl a 35 pounder either...I can toss one up(now)..but not as you guys have described....i can easily plate curl a 27lb plate though.Huge jump to a 35 though(our 35's are all 'overweight',36# plus..but THATS not the problem.)

Again impressive feats and I'm just blown away by your fairly light weight. :rockJust scarey power for that kind of bodyweight..... (a lifting partner with a 'fairly' good grip- has a nine year old brother that weighs over 160 :yikes )

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wells

Plate Wrist Curl: 15 lb. / 8 reps right hand - 6 reps left hand

Plate Wrist Curl: 22 lb. (10 kg plate) / failed couldn't even hold it up!

Amazing the difficulty of this exercise. Plate Wrist Curling (PWC) a 10 lb. plate is a breeze, I can easily rep 30. I guess my 35 lb. PWC goal will take some time. I hope to conquer it before Christmas.

How you guys coming along with your weight and reps?

I think Tom Black will conquer that 35 lb. plate pretty soon; his 27.5 lb. pic is great.

I don't think body weight should effect this exercise too much. I now weigh only 68 kg (@ 150 lbs.) and am plate curling more than I was at 81 kg.

Edited by wells

Ah, I wish. Big difference between 27.5-pounds on a 25-pound plate and a 35-pound plate! Torque you know. I would expect to be able to do reps with 32.5-pounds on a 25-pound plate before even considering the 35. I was amazed how big the jump was between the 27.5 and 30-pounds too.

I've done 37.5-pounds in what I would describe as very strictly, and 35-pounds for 5 reps. I did a very sloppy rep with the magic number 45-pounds, but it definitely didn't count as a plate curl. Still fun getting it up there and I tried to hold it for a good negative. Decided it was not worth the risk to cheat that badly. I've been laying off the full curl because my inner elbow is injured (although I can now see the light at the end of what has become a very long injury). Once again I have seen for myself the wonder of grip training, in that I can do a related exercise (plate wrist curl) without hurting an injury that is effected by the plate curl.

Guest wells

Tom how many times a week are you plate wrist curling? Any active rest reps with a small disc 2-5 lbs.? Currently, I am plate wrist curling every four days along with my hammer leverage bar exercises.

I’m not actively training it within the last couple of weeks. When I did I was twice per week starting with some reps with the 25’s, some singles with the 27.5 and attempts with the 30 (2nd magnet near the center of the plate). A fairly short workout, taking 5-minutes in the gym or basement. When I do my max. attempt I try to hold the weight up as high as I can and as long as I can. No, never did a 5-pound plate, although I can carry my dinner plate to the table, that’s about 5-pounds. :tongue

Tom, I am working on building a trainer for plate curls and plate wrist curls. It will give you the diameter and thickness of a 45 lb Olympic plate without the weight, and be adjustable as far as adding weight goes.

I've thought about making a device to train the plate curls too. Imagine a "Heavy Hammer" type device, but with a square section the size of a hand and the thickness of a plate on the "handle" end. It's hard to say how much equivalent torque a device like this would create at less pounds than a plate, but if all the weight is on the end less weight would be required to create the same torque.

I made the device from a piece of 2 x 4 wood 17 3/4'' in length, with a 2'' wide by 5'' long peg for plates at one end. To me it feels like around 1 to 5, or that 5lbs feels like 25 lbs.

That sounds about right. I always measure torque from the center of gravity of the object to the fulcrum. On a sledgehammer the center of gravity is a few inches up the hammer handle (varies depending on the head weight) to the point the handle touches the hand. On a plate the center of gravity is in the center of the plate. The fulcrum is the place that the fingers touch the plate. For a 25 pound plate that's 12-inches wide (my estimate) the fingers would be approximately (for my hand at least) 4 inches up the surface, about 2 inches from the center. Hence, 25-pounds x 2-inches = 50 inch pounds.

For the 2x4 board it would be: 17.75 - 4 inches for fingers - distance pin is from the end board (3.75 inches ?)= 10 inches.

10 x 5-pounds = 50 inch pounds

The 2 x 4 is a great idea, what do you use for the pin?

Was 17.75 the width of your 45’s that you are trying to simulate? If so, here’s the torque of the 45-pounder:

Center of Gravity=8.875

Minus the fulcrum point= 4.875

Torque= 4.875*45= 201 inch pounds.

Note that’s 4 times the torque of the 25 pound plate, yet not even double the weight!

If a 35 is 16” (someone please check, I don’t have one handy) then:

Center of gravity=8”

Minus the fulcrum point=4”

Torque= 4 x 35= 140 inch pounds, 2.8 times harder than the 25 pound plate.

Tom I used a 5'' pipe nipple 1 7/8'' OD for the pin and it is held in place with an end cap screwed to the 2 x 4 at one end. I will post a pic later this evening. The reason I made it as long as the width of a 45 lb plate was to try to simulate the size and awkwardness of a 45.

Oldguy,

Brilliant idea first of all!!!!! What about adding some wood or metal screwed to the gripping end to simulate the rim grip more?

Jon@han

I can wrap it in sheet metal. No problem. This is a prototype off the top of my head. I like the fact that so little weight feels like so much. If I drop it no harm done. I do not want to drop 45 lb plates at home!

Very creative OldGuy! You should mass-produce this device and market it. I bet it would sell like hotcakes. Do you have engineering experience?