Wrist Plate Curls

Tom Black

When I first tried plate wrist curls last month I could do 1-rep rather shaky with a 25, but did manage to hold out the plate for at least 5-seconds at the sticking point. This I reasoned would be a good training technique for a smooth plate curl. The next time I tried the exercise I was very surprised that I curled the plate, and the effort it took was minor until the third single I tried. I was also able to do the holdout for a very long time, over 10-seconds, while talking casually to my weight training partner who remarked "that's good, but can you do it with a 35." Well, I tried, but, um, seems impossible. Made me wonder if there is anyone who can do this with a 35-pound plate. Perhaps Brookfield can. Yesterday I was able to curl the 25-pound plate like nothing and also curled 27.5-pounds with a 2.5-pound plate mate magnet on the far end of the 25. I put a picture of this on my new Photo Page. I almost was able to do two magnets, but with the second magnet in the center of the plate, thus reducing the torque.

Wrist curling a 25 seems about equivalent to somewhere between a 35-pound and 45-pound full plate curl, which might make wrist curling a 35-pound plate around a 50-pound plate curl. Since we have some 45-pound plate curlers out there my question is can anyone do a 35-pound plate wrist curl?

Tom,

If I can do it... will you put the pic on your website? :blush

I also notice that there are no pics of the great and mighty Sybersnott!! :angry: For shame!! And to think... you actually had the honor of sitting next to me at the AOBS last year!! Oh, I am disappointed in you!

I can wrist curl a 25 for reps with either hand. When I try a full plate curl-I cant do a 35-but I can do a 25 and a 10?

Rick Walker :rock

Impressive, Oldguy! Very impressive! How long are your hands, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm with Rick and Eric, 25 for reps on the plate wrist curl, and I've not managed a 35lbs plate curl yet. A 35lbs plate wrist curl is impressive, a 45 is HUGE!!

OldGuy, very impressive!

My hand length is a hair under 9''. It seems that some here find plate wrist curls to be easier than plate curls, and some the reverse. I am going to focus on plate curls later in the year. I once thought I would never want to do them, but now want to do the big 45 pound plate which to me is only second to pinchgripping 2 x 45 as a feat of grip strength.

I'm able to do 25lbs for multiple reps with either hand. the wrist- strength for a 35 lbs plate wrist-curl , I believe , is beyond the wrist-strength necessary for a 45 plate-curl. However, even if you could do a 35lbs plate wrist plate curl, this doesn't automatically mean that you would be able to plate-curl a 45 because the biceps may not have the strength to meet the strength of wrist to complete it. My question is -approximately how much strength is required, in the biceps, ( how much weight in a one -arm regular dumbell curl ) to allow for a 45 lbs plate curl ( assuming the strength in the wrist sufficent).... I would say at LEAST 70-75lbs????

I cant do the 45lb. plate curl just yet.I had surgery on my right shoulder,so when I get my strength back I WILL DO THE 45!!!!!!!

I have all of my ROM back but my arm is still weak.Today I shoveld the 3ft. of snow we got from the drive way & my shoulder is really sore.I over did it.The #4 will be shut sooner than I thought.That is all I will say about it. :rock

"GOD IS THE REAL POWER" Tommy......

Syber,

If I can do it... will you put the pic on your website? 
Sure, actually, I'd like to put any other peoples pictures on my website, but most people seem to want them in the Cyberpump Gallery instead.
I also notice that there are no pics of the great and mighty Sybersnott!!
As I said, people perfer to be in the Cyberpump Gallery, look at this one:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album36/aaj

You are also in this group shot with Kaz:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album36/aah

A lot of people would be very happy to have their picture taken with Kaz!

Tommy, that's very impressive. I don't know if we should now lock this thread or not, 35-pound wrist plate curl is out there, but I suppose a 45-pound wrist plate curl would be the one to demand locking.

As to the biceps strength needed on the plate curl, I don't think it should be much of a factor, although I was using myself to come up with the numbers above, and I've always had good biceps strength. I can curl a 35-pound plate fairly easily (5-reps), and have done 40 pounds fairly smooth so that's how I guessed at the relative numbers between the two exercises.

The 35lb plate wrist curl is still not within my grasp yet...you can bet I'll be posting when I do. I can barely manage a rep or two with a 25lb plate with a 5lb c-clamp attached to the far end. The most I've repped a 25lb plate is 10 reps.

Nice photos again Tom, inspiring as always!!!

May I remind everyone about my idea of using a wrist exercizer gizmo while doing a plate wrist curl....it's a killer!!!

Jon@han

I can only get 1-rep with the 25lb plate.

My question is -approximately how much strength is required, in the biceps, ( how much weight in a one -arm regular dumbell curl ) to allow for a 45 lbs plate curl ( assuming the strength in the wrist sufficent).... I would say at LEAST 70-75lbs????

I hadn't thought that bicep strength would hold back too many on the plate curl, but I guess there are probably Coc's that can't do a strict curl with a 60lb. dumbell. I managed a concentration curl with a 70# dumbell at the end of my last workout, so i should be o.k.

Great job on the wrist curls everyone. I have to get serious about training it, and see if I can hit a 45lb. plate curl in the next year or so.

Robert

My absolutely best bicepsfeat is 48 kg (105.6 lbs) (one arm dumbbellcurl on preacherbench i strict style). It was about 15 years ago. Today I think my maximum is about 44-45 kg. I think one of my weakest point is my thumbs. You must probably do around 30 reps with a 15 kg ironplate in plate curl (in strict style of course) if you should have any chance to curl a 20 kg (45 lbs) plate i strict style. My own best is 10 reps with 15 kg (Eleiko old model) on preachercurlbench. Be careful to not have your wrist in a dorsalflexed position.

I have done 9 consequtive reps with an Ivanko 35lbs plate ( without resetting )....reguardless, I still feel biceps strength is quite important in being able to complete a 45lbs plate-curl.

I've done 4 reps with right/left hand on the wrist plate curl with a 35lb. er.I like doing them.

If you've only done a 35 for 4 reps, how have you done a 45 for 10 reps?