quick question for tom black

vikingpower

Tom.

I've been modifying my no.2 in line with your suggestions ie Shortening the length of the handles. I was wondering what are the present length of the handles on your no2 and is it tougher than the Master.

Tom

I have now cut 9/32" off the handles, 1/32" more than a 1/4".   When I originally started I measured the difference between this particular #2 and my Master and determined the difference in overall length to be 1/4".  I am now beyond that and my mod #2 is shorter.  It's odd, but it feels harder to close, but I can consistently close it more than the Master.   I think there are two reasons for this:

1) The #2 started out with less of a spring angle, making it fit in my hand better.

2) I beveled the modified #2 very sharply, the end is a semi-round circle about 1/32" high, with basically a 90-degree edge.  This makes positioning of the gripper better, and it doesn't slip as much as a non-modified gripper.

If it makes any sense, the mod #2 actually feels harder when closing, but because of 1 and 2 above I close it more consistently and easily.  I prefer the way I've designed the end of the handle, and will modify a #3 this way as soon as I start closing it.  I have not modified the #2 in a few weeks because I want to completely dominate it before modifying again.  In upcoming logs you will see me begin serious work with the #3, and this has taken the edge off of my attempts with the mod #2 after my #3 attempts.

My conclusion is that if I cut off 5/16" from my #2 it would definitely be harder than the Master, even with the other differences noted above.  Of course, if you don't own a Master or have access to one, this modification is a good substitute.

Tom thanks for reply. I do not have access to a master and loved your idea, Unfortunatly I did not measure the length of the handle before I started cutting (I know don't say it) but when compared to the length of my other grippers I have so far cut approx 3/16" and can close this now ok so will be taking a touch more of.

How close would you estimate this to be to the master?

By the way love your York article and would like to see a pic of your gripper handles.

Tom

Tom, just measure an uncut gripper handle.  I beleive the one thing that is uniform on the grippers is the lenght of the handles.  And its hard to tell how tough your gripper will be.  I have a very easy #2 that I am modifying and its not even close to my old #2 yet, so this stuff varies quite a bit.  Hope this helps.

JD

Thanks JD, I was planning on ordering a 2nd no.2 gripper for comparison, based on what you have just said I will now do this.

Tom

Yeah Tom, my two #2s are night and day.  The old one took me two years to close.  While I was still about 1/4 inch away from this one, I ordered my new #2.  I was slamming it shut right out of the bag.  The new #2 was a good investment though because about two weeks later I was getting the old #2.  Hopefully using Mr. Black's progressive handle routine and some other grip toys, I will close the #3 soon and then who knows?

JD

The handles are very standard at 3.75" or 9.5 cm.  Of course, if you have a weak #2 already you may have to cut more off to equal the Master, but I can't imagine you would have to cut off more than 3/8" to make your gripper really tough.