Does Wrist Size Impact Grip Strength?

KBI

My wrist were 7 3/4 inches.. Now they are 8 1/2 inches.. I'd like to have 9 inch wrist.. So, is wrist size a determining factor?

yes it does have an impact because ur wrist not only grows from wolf's law of stress on bone but ur tendons also get thicker whick go to ur fingers and hand to help gripping power :)

I have painfully thin wrists which have not got any bigger in over 4 years of training. Which probably is not a long time. I have noticed that my wrists limit me in some ways. Setting grippers, bending (duh), rolling thunder, pinch, tearing, etc. I don't feel that I have successfully strengthened them much. But, yeah, wrist strength will affect your performance in amost any grip exercise.

Wrist size does have some effect on grip strength, but it isn't a deal breaker. A strong person for their bodyweight will likely still excell at grip exercises. One thing that you must remember is that your wrist size will determine overall muscle measurement maximums at 10-12% bodyfat. There is a cool formula that gives you the predicted maximum muscle girths for each bodypart that will based entirely on wrist size. It should be noted that the formula will only be accurate for non chemically enhanced athletes. Again how much fast twitch muscle you have will play a role in your grip strength probably more so than your wrist size.

My wrist were 7 3/4 inches.. Now they are 8 1/2 inches.. I'd like to have 9 inch wrist.. So, is wrist size a determining factor?

you're just reading you wrist measurements in the wrong place!

Bone and sinew, and 3/4" (19mm)is not going to be added in anyones lifetime!

...or you're just reading you wrist measurements in the wrong place!

Bone and sinew, and 3/4" (19mm)is not going to be added in anyones lifetime!

i agree mate

He's 19 or 20. Still growing.

Your right, still young enough to grow...more research here would be great. All I know is, "train and the rest will follow"

No, i wouldnt say so. Just look at Teemu Ilvesniem or joe kinney. I think both have about 7-7.5 inch wrists, and they are both pretty strong :rolleyes

No, i wouldnt say so. Just look at Teemu Ilvesniem or joe kinney. I think both have about 7-7.5 inch wrists, and they are both pretty strong :rolleyes

That may be true, but in the real world a 7.5" wrist that is honestly measured is large. 7" would be considered average, and not small by any means. To have an honest 8.5" wrist at 15% or less bodyfat is rare and that person would be exceptionally large. In the world of the internet, measurements get inflated, to the point where we think 20" arms are not that uncommon.

me too i have a thin wrist, it's been 2month and a half that ive been training with grippers, and im just starting to get really confortable with the RB130!! prolly in a week or two ill be able to own it for lot of reps ...

i feel like im moving really slow and im sure its because of my thin wrist, just need alot more time compared to the big wristed dude