2001 AOBS Dinner

3Crusher

I know that I asked this question awhile back, and some members said they were going to the AOBS dinner this year.  I got my tickets the other day, so I'll be there, and was just wondering if any others will be there this year.  Steve Weiner

Steve,

You musta read my mind!  I was thinking about this the other day..... yes, I will be there!  Haven't got my tickets yet, but I have the info. on it sent to me by Vic.  This time, I expect you to perform some crushing feats for me!  I'm bringing my "toys" and my videocam to get some good stuff!  What else?  I'm looking forward to meeting you again, as well as meeting the rest of the gang.   :)

Sybersnott

• 3 weeks later...

I just read Bert Sorin's post on the Magnus pic - he will be there along with his dad, Richard.

Who else is going?  I'll be there.  I'd like to see some of my fellow Gripboard members there if you can make it.  It'll be in Saddlebrook, NJ the weekend of October 6-7.

I am going as well.  Steve wasn't sure if the Sorin's were going, but now it appears so.  Actually, Bert does not mention they will be there, only the grippers, but someone has to bring them!   I am bringing some steel to reengineer.  I have focused on crushing for a few weeks, but now I'm trying to peak my bending because I am doing a show Sept 19th.  

How about Mobsterone and company, will you be attending?  

I've booked my flights, my room and recently paid for the dinner ticket

I'll be there from Friday evening till early hours Monday.

I've already suggested Steve Weiner gets a seat with me, hwo about you guys??

Maybe we should speak to Vic Boff, and we can have a Grip Board table.  It was basically "seat yourself" last year for most people, but maybe Vic can honor our request.  How does that sound?  Steve Weiner

I'm cool with that. I have been told five Brits are coming and they include Dave Webster and his old training bud Alex Thompson. The others I don't know, prob some from the OHF mob

Count me in on that "GripBoard Table"!  Steve can come up with some great ideas..... er, once in a while!  :)

Bob- It is an annual gathering organized by Vic Boff, who runs the Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen (AOBS).  Each year they salute a few greats of the Iron Game.  This year it is being held in Saddlebrook, New Jersey.

Hey guys, I'm from philadelphia, and I'd like to attend if there are still tickets available.  could someone email me info on this or post if tickets are still available.  I'd love to personally meet some of my gripboard brethren.  Thanks

Riotgrip (Greg),

Here's the info. you requested:

The Association Of Oldetime Barbell And Strongmen

4959 Viceroy Street, Suite 203

Cape Coral, FL   33904

Phone number:  941-549-8407

I would suggest you call the number and ask to speak to either Johnny Mandel or Vic Boff (chances are you might speak to Vic).  Tell him you are interested in attending the AOBS dinner and to please send you info. ASAP.  Price per ticket is ็.00.  They will also give you info. on airfare, hotel, etc. if you need it.  Hope this helps ya!  :)

Much to my very bitter disappointment the dinner has been cancelled.

It would seem, for whatever reason, that Vic has been recieving cancellation after cancellation and has therefore decided he has no chice but to cancel it for this year.

I spoke to Vic this afternoon (probably v early in Florida) and had this confirmed.

I am rather, as we Brits say, pissed off!

Steve- How did you first hear that the dinner was cancelled?  Man, I am bummed, as I was really looking forward to this.  I even bought a discus for Al Oerter to sign.  After all the recent events, I was really looking forward to the dinner to lift my spirits, because I was going to meet many of the guys from the bosrd.  I guess we'll all have to wait until next year.  

Steve.... this really is a shame.  But if enough people decide not to travel (and THAT means flying), people are put off.  I was about to make my plans this coming weekend - but now it's for naught.  It's too bad.

I'm going to call Vic and wish him the best.  I was looking forward to meeting all my grip pals (especially Steve Weiner), and some others - yeah, I'm bummed too.  What a downer.  :(

I wasn't going to be there, but was really glad you guys were all going to meet.  Major bummer.

Aghast - it is precisely because of that. Probably because I'm disappointed I am also a little bitter. I would like to believe that many felt they didn't want to be celebrating while so many are mourning but fell it is more likely that a few of our more elderly iron game heroes are feeling worried.

I spoke to both Vic Boff and Randall Strossen today and they mentioned how 'you Brits have put up with this kinda thing for years'.

As per my posting elsewhere I was hoping that more people - and I said this to Vic - would have the Churchill attitude of two fingers to the Terrorists of this world - and travel and be damned.

So, unless it gets cancelled, are we all going next year or what?

Oh it just gets better and better. Because American Airlines offer of free cancellations finishes in September and I travel in October I'm not gonna get a refund of anything other than the airport taxes.

Bastards! Now I'm down almost £300.00 or 踰+