Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Excellent work with the double pads! They are quite useful and will help you develop the horsepower to destroy bigger steel with the Ironmind pads.

My arms were weak today! Even though lefty got a couple PRs, I still had a crappy workout. I definitely felt that last bending/gripper session. I know I need more than a days rest after today, will aim to bend/grip on Thursday to rest up a bit.

Climbed toprope 10d to warm up.

Tested max effort on RT and IM hub since I haven't touched those in some time. Right hand couldn't match previous best but left did great.

RT 166.5lb (includes gear) LH. Weighed myself today at 171lb so close to bodyweight pull.

IM Hub 55lb (includes gear) LH, still 50 RH. LH made a 10lb jump to best the RH.

2x35lb plate pinches LH 5 second hold, couldn't get much more than air RH. I normally hold easily RH. This is when I knew RH had not recovered from last workout.

Went back to climbing. I sucked.

lead 10d

lead 11a

toprope 11c

toprope 11b

2 sets #2 filed x 20 second hold RH, and 12 seconds LH. For some reason LH was weak at this and hurt.

Bending and grippers today.

warmup:

2 sets #1 x 5 rep no set

2 sets squats

1 set #2 x 1 rep MMS

1 set #3 x 1 rep MMS attempt

Bending 7" ISO day:

7" x 5/16" G2 done

7" x 5/16" HRS done PR I think

7" x 1/4" 1018 square wobble, several hits on each piece I couldn't bend for ISOs

7" x 5/16" CRS wobble

Red nail in IMPs wrapped in suede at 1.35' wobble

7" x 3/16 CRS barehand done (gonna barehand one of these a session to toughen up before bigger stuff)

7" x 7/32' O-1 Reverse done, easy

7" Reverse ISO's, pretty spent by this point

Grippers:

BFNs

2 sets #3 x 3 rep RH

2 sets #2.5 x 3 rep LH

I was really spent by this point and gripper workout didn't feel good.

Grippers and bending today. Still a bit toast from previous workout. I don't seem to be recovering well between them, not enough time I guess.

Warmup:

2 sets squats

2 sets #1 x 5 rep

Grippers:

2 sets #2.5 x 6 rep choked to 1"

Bending:

7" x 17/64" O1

7" x 9/32" O1 Gave me trouble so I know I'm weak today

7" ISO work on straight bar and a 90 degree bar.

7" x 3/16" CRS barehand bend

Worked on holding shoulders tight, less chicken winging, deep grip in thumb pad, different hand grips, the whole nine. The deep thumb pad grip (like Andy does) felt really different. It puts the fingers in a totally different position. I kind of liked it. Took a lot of pressure off the fingers. It makes it a bit tougher to get in a starting position but I still can. At times I still felt my shoulders wanting to come out, other times they felt fine. Next workout I'll do more playing around with it. I think I found my groove somewhere today I just have to remember it and repeat.

I had an impromptu bending session today. Decided to hit a Red with IMPs wraps in suede (1.35" wrapped around Red). It took me probably 20 minutes to do this but it's my first Red start to finish. Ended up trying to crush as far as I could go with one IMP folded around it. The 4"-3" range is the toughest part for me. I spent most my time there. Had a big off center kink, didn't help my cause. The bend ain't nothing special but I'm happy to have started and finished it in one session. After that Red I did a 3/16" x 7" CRS barehand. Doing one each time I bend.

Had a really good bending session today. Several PRs. Grippers not so good. Still stuck on that last bit on the #3.

Bending: all 7" and in IMPs only

5/16" G2 warmup

1/4" square only slight wobbled last workout, killed it today. Video to come

5/16" CRS first two hits only a micro wobble, moved the IMPs out to 1.75" and in folded quickly. May have found my groove here!

"L" 365# cal'd rod I've already put a good wobble on but have been stuck. Killed it today.

Red Nail got a micro wobble on it. Still pleased with this considered the bends I just did.

Grippers:

Warmed up on #1, #2, #2.5

2 set #3 x 3 rep bfn rh, #2.5 for LH

IMG_20110102_192652.jpg

Edited by daniel reinard

Mostly bending today. Tried grippers but was too toast to finish up with a good gripper workout.

Bending:

1x 7" x 9/32" O1 kink only for warmup

2x 6" x 1/4" G2 in single IMP

4x ISO hits on Red in IMPs. Wanted this bar bad today but wasn't feeling top notch. Got some movement on it which is nice. But I expected more. Tore up my fingers, blood on the IMPs. Made the next bar that much more fun.

1x 7" x 9/32" 375# DO IMPs cert attempt. Was dissapointed with Red so needed to do something to make workout not a fail.

1x 6" x 5/16" G2 IMPs fail, small wobble

1x 6" x 17/64" O1 mod DU attempt. Trying something new, small wobble, too big a bar for DU right now.

1x 7" x 3/16" CRS barehand

Grippers:

Completed before bending for warmup

1 set #1 x 5 rep no set

1 set #2 x 1 rep MMS

1 #3 attempt MMS RH, still .25"!! All gripper progress has stopped since started bending. Been stuck here too damn long.

After bending tried #3 and #2 but too whooped. Big f'n fail. Going to do grippers tomorrow instead.

I had an impromptu bending session today. Decided to hit a Red with IMPs wraps in suede (1.35" wrapped around Red). It took me probably 20 minutes to do this but it's my first Red start to finish. Ended up trying to crush as far as I could go with one IMP folded around it. The 4"-3" range is the toughest part for me. I spent most my time there. Had a big off center kink, didn't help my cause. The bend ain't nothing special but I'm happy to have started and finished it in one session. After that Red I did a 3/16" x 7" CRS barehand. Doing one each time I bend.

Congrats on your first red, your bending is takin off :rock

Thanks dude. The bending is going well, but the grippers have gotten stale. I think the bending interferes with gripper progress. Trying to push through it and do both.

Thanks dude. The bending is going well, but the grippers have gotten stale. I think the bending interferes with gripper progress. Trying to push through it and do both.

I know you'll get that #3...your bending is moving and you'll figure out a way to get that #3 closed. That last 1/4 inch, you may need to do the #3 fresh one workout to get a true feel on where you stand. You have nothing but time :cool

Hit the grippers yesterday. Warmed up then 3 sets 1 rep negatives #3 RH, #2.5 LH.

Worked out yesterday. Took more time off than planned, also been a bit sick. Felt so weak yesterday in everything.

Bending:

7"x17/64" O1 DO

7"x5/16" G2 DO

Red nail ISO stuck at 8deg DO

7"x19/64" O1 395# from straight to 10deg and got stuck DO

90deg Red ISOs

Crush ISOs

4x 8"x3/16" CRS barehands done to get rid of 8"ers in stash

7"x3/16" O1 barehand done best yet

7"x1/4" single IMP terminator got stuck at 10deg, went to reg IMPs and finished terminator style

RT:

3 sets x 5 sec holds 140#

IM Hub

3 sets x 5 sec holds 40#

2x25# plate pinch

3 sets x 10 sec holds

Climbing

10a lead

10c lead

11b TR

11c TR

all flashes

Pullups

1 set x 10 rep 25#

2 set x 5 rep 50#

Grippers

2 set x 3 rep BFNs #3

Today

Decided to bend for a week straight. My new grip saves the shoulders and feels better all around so will ramp up frequency and see what happens. Also pissed about yesterdays bending.

Currently also thinking about dropping grippers until I get that Red nail, then restarting it with a bending break...sucks to think about it.

Bending

2x 7"x1/4" HRS Steelworks trad DU to 10deg, then mod DU finish

7"x17/64" O1 mod DU nothing

5 5/8" 60d mod DU done

8 hits on 7"x19/64" O1 395# was 10deg to start, got to 20deg today

5"x17/64" O1 stuck at 85deg ISOs

6"x1/4" B7 bolt was stuck at 90deg, got to 120deg today

Finished with sledge levers

Day 3 bending in a row. I did well out of the gate but pooped out fast. All good, did my best.

7"x17/64" O1 DO

7"x19/64" O1 395# that got to 10deg Day1, to 20deg day2, today finished it to 1 5/16" in 11 straight hits. Happy to kill that bar.

Red attempts but fingers were hurting too much from previous bends. 3 hits and called it off. Keep ripping skin open on middle finger knuckle. Needs to heal at some point but don't want to stop DO when I am on a roll.

5.5" 60d done mod DU

7"x7/32" O1 barehand fail. Got to 30 or 35 deg and stopped from pain. couldn't get it started again. much tougher than the 3/16" O1, prob around 150#.

Finished above bar strict terminator

Did some sledge levers.

AZ-grip.com says 7"x7/32" cals around 160#. I'd be happy to get this bar for sure barehand.

Today

Decided to bend for a week straight. My new grip saves the shoulders and feels better all around so will ramp up frequency and see what happens. Also pissed about yesterdays bending.

Currently also thinking about dropping grippers until I get that Red nail, then restarting it with a bending break...sucks to think about it.

Bending

2x 7"x1/4" HRS Steelworks trad DU to 10deg, then mod DU finish

7"x17/64" O1 mod DU nothing

5 5/8" 60d mod DU done

8 hits on 7"x19/64" O1 395# was 10deg to start, got to 20deg today

5"x17/64" O1 stuck at 85deg ISOs

6"x1/4" B7 bolt was stuck at 90deg, got to 120deg today

Finished with sledge levers

Man look at you bend. If you drop grippers and bend, you'll get grippers back when you start back. You do whatever you feel is right. Your moving toward the red fast :mosher

Man look at you bend. If you drop grippers and bend, you'll get grippers back when you start back. You do whatever you feel is right. Your moving toward the red fast :mosher

Thanks T. Sucks to set grippers down but for me (and some others) the two don't mix. The Red Nail is coming along fast so will roll with that for now. In my mind I think I can do anything, but my body is saying no. :trout

More bending today. Pretty useless now for a session. Probably going snowboarding for the weekend so may be a much needed rest. Each day in a row I've been putting in some max efforts. Trying to push myself to see how far I can take this. Works okay for a few days but I'll bet if I aim to go longer I need to be doing more volume oriented bending.

7"x17/64" O1 DO

Red stuck at 5deg, gave it 3 ISO hits before I set it down

7"x3/16" CRS DU barehand

7"x1/4" CRS mod DU

7"x19/64" O1 DO

Red stuck at 4" ~113deg, finished it off to 1.5"

Had to stop, joints are toast and muscles nothing left in tank. Finished up with light sledge work.

Choices choices! I think it's not a strange decision to concentrate now on bending, I believe that if you want

to excel in grippers, you have to train grippers and if you want open handstrength, grippers will kill your one handed

deadlifts. Same for bending... Although, that's only my (only gripper) experience. thought about buying a rolling handle recently,

but decided to wait a while, I've got my work cut out first on grippers, when I CCS my #3, that I'll see what's more to explore. At this point no waist of

energy other than on grippers...Don't have experience with bending, but it seems you are doing very well! So maybe it just ment to be that you're

bending stuff and not crushing at this time. Hope you will get your goal this year then!

Took Friday off, snowboarded Saturday. Was going to wait till Monday to bend but got antsy.

Tried 5 dimes pinch today. First time tried it a couple weeks ago and got air to knees. Wanted to do a clean pull today on video. Got up to waist with a decent hold then they slipped before I went back down. Shouldn't have held them I guess.

Bending

7"x9/32" O1 DO

7"x"M" 385# cal DO IMP cert attempt

7"x19/64" 390# cal DO IMP cert attempt

7"x19/64" 410 cal DO IMP cert attemp fail. Knew it may be too much, especially at the end of the workout and the last bend split the finger open again.

7"x17/64" O1 mod DU ISOs

RT

141.5# 1 set 5 sec holds

151.5# 1 set x 2 reps

141.5# 3 set 3 sec holds

IM Hub

50# 3 set 1 rep

2x35lb plate pinch

3 set 5 sec holds

2x25lb plate pinch

1 set 10 sec hold

Rock climbed a few routes, 5 or so.

25lb weighted pullups 1 set 5 rep

Came home and craved some bending. These were just for fun, not impressive. Did one after another as fast as I could wrap them.

7" 5/16" G2 IMPs DO

60d IMPs mod DU

6" 1/4" G2 single IMP reverse

Thanks Ben!

Had to do some bending today. :D

DO in IMPs

7"x9/32" O1 warmup. Felt super weak already, damnit not a good sign of things to come

6"x1/4" FNL G8 had to try today, only wobbled, hurt like hell. Pretty pissed I still can't do a G8. Mutant G8 maybe?

7"x19/64" 410# cal'd bar I put to 5deg on Sunday. After the G8 thought it'd be an ISO bar today but I got it to 1.75" in 10 hits! Watch out, maybe soon a 7" 410# cert coming.

6" B7 bolt stuck at 90deg, finally crushed to 1.75"! Been trying this one over a month. Springy bastard.

5"x17/64" O1 stuck at 90deg, finally got to 1.75" too! My crush is making big gains for sure. Maybe a 6" and 5" DO IMP certs coming too.

Mod DU in IMPs

2x 60d nails