Matt Cannon, Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Matt Cannon

As having closed the Mash Monster Elite Gripper (Level 1) with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

The certification is granted by the GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest. The Mash Monster Gripper was one of a limited number supplied by, rated and qualified by, and controlled by the Board. This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for historical posterity.

gallery_9552_18_8633.jpg

Matt mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Name: Matt Cannon

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 160lbs

Date of Feat: September 22, 2010

VIDEO:

How Long Grip Training: 4 years

Current Grip Training Program: My current training is less structured than what I have done in the past. I attempt a workout 3-4 times a week. Based on how my hands feel I will either go for a PR, destroy my hands with a tough workout, or abandon the workout and just do active recovery with lighter grippers. At any time, if I take 2-3 days off, the first day back will usually be a good day for a max effort.

Over the past four years I have tried almost everything to stir up gains. Sometimes PRs have been many months apart. I think it's important to experiment with your workouts. If you're at a loss for what to do, KTA and RRBT are both excellent programs. Be a student of your training and get interested in studying what has worked and why. The GripBoard is an excellent resource.

I believe the single most effective training tool is Beyond the Range (BTR) training. I use grippers with filed handles or 5/8" handles for most of my negatives, overcrushes, and holds. Also, I have found that the quality of the workout is more important than the quantity. Do as much work as you can in the near-closed or BTR range of motion.

Other Training Info: There is no replacement for hard work. I am extremely proud of this achievement. I have never sustained such a focused effort for any other goal. It has been a rather single-minded 4 years to get here, but worth every moment. I have proven to myself that it's possible to take on a behemoth and win.

Other Info: This certification is dedicated to my family.

Acknowledgements: This accomplishment would not have been possible without the advice and support of the GripBoard, Aaron Corcorran, Ben Edwards, Greg Griffin, Luke Martin, Teemu Ilvesniemi, and Wicked Willie. A special thanks to my wife Kristy.

X

Matt Cannon, the 68th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Sweet man! :)

great write-up!

I've never seen a picture of you before Matt ... I see you have some gray hair too ... or is that just chalk?;)

great write-up!

I've never seen a picture of you before Matt ... I see you have some gray hair too ... or is that just chalk?;)

:yikes I think that is just from the light...or something...:D Or maybe from three kids who are four and under! :)

Hi Matt. Congratulations on your close :bow I also like your opinion/information on the working in the BTR Range.

Congratulations, Matt!

Who would have thought that a "fun" gripping session poolside at Santa Cruz would have ended up like this? Just to document the history...Matt was at the second Dave Draper Iron Online Bash to be held at Santa Cruz. We were all seated at poolside, talking training and joking, drinking spiritus fermenti when Greg brought out some CoC grippers and various other toys.

Making a long story longer, Matt nearly closed a #2 on his first try, without prior training...IIRC, coming within a half inch of a full close. I was impressed with his natural ability and encouraged him to begin grip training...and as they say, "the rest is history."

The student has become the master. Congratulations, again!

Congratulations, Matt!

Who would have thought that a "fun" gripping session poolside at Santa Cruz would have ended up like this? Just to document the history...Matt was at the second Dave Draper Iron Online Bash to be held at Santa Cruz. We were all seated at poolside, talking training and joking, drinking spiritus fermenti when Greg brought out some CoC grippers and various other toys.

Making a long story longer, Matt nearly closed a #2 on his first try, without prior training...IIRC, coming within a half inch of a full close. I was impressed with his natural ability and encouraged him to begin grip training...and as they say, "the rest is history."

Very cool story. Matt is also indirectly responsible for getting me back into grippers. About four years ago, I read an article on Draper's site about Matt taking a trip to visit Warren Tetting. That article got me to pick up the grippers again after a very long layoff.

Congratulations on smashing the MM1, Matt! :mosher

Very cool story. Matt is also indirectly responsible for getting me back into grippers. About four years ago, I read an article on Draper's site about Matt taking a trip to visit Warren Tetting. That article got me to pick up the grippers again after a very long layoff.

Congratulations on smashing the MM1, Matt! :mosher

Todd, I didn't know this! Very cool.

Congratulations, Matt!

Hey guys, I've never seen an attack on a gripper like Wicked Willie has got. A ferocious no set that reminds of a crocodile snapping out of the water at some prey. You blink and you've missed it. Despite seeing this up front, and even though it left an impression, I've never been able to train that kind of explosive speed.

Thanks for all your advice Wicked!

Awesome job Matt!

Thanks for your help to get here, Greg. You were very generous with loaning me grippers and also very encouraging!

Matt's a stand-up guy for sure. He is also the guy that witnessed my first Insane Bastard bend on video. Have never forgotten that event and there aren't a lot of guys who get to be a witness/judge for a bend like that.

• 4 months later...

I didn't realize you was such a small guy. Makes this feat

even more impressive.

First time I've seen a picture of Matt. No one ever looks like you

envision them. Never fails.

Good write-up and good work Matt!!! :mosher

If it sounded like I was implying that your forearms where small,

I apologize.

Actually your forearms appear quite large considering your bodyweight.

Regardless, first class strength, determination, and follow through.

You the Man!!!

If it sounded like I was implying that your forearms where small,

I apologize.

Actually your forearms appear quite large considering your bodyweight.

Regardless, first class strength, determination, and follow through.

You the Man!!!

No, not at all! I'm proud to be a skinny guy either way. I was just saying I thought the photo was funny because I always notice the pictures when I build the profiles. Guys like Goody just have some MASS and can pull off that pose. No worries Joe :D