2010 Nationals

Jedd Johnson

I guess I don't understand this statement. I guess I can't get my head wrapped around the idea of not training for a contest?

maybe you just lack natural awesomeness?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• climber511

• barbe705

• andurniat

View Postclimber511, on 24 August 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

What - train for a contest or an event - blasphemy!! Well with two weeks to go anyway - it's a bit late for me :)

I guess I don't understand this statement. I guess I can't get my head wrapped around the idea of not training for a contest?

I did a Strongman comp a couple months ago - the WSH comp a couple weeks ago - a Highland Games last weekend - GGC is in 10 days - WSH the next Sat - then I'll be at Seneca Rocks climbing for 10 days - the next Sat is WSH again - then another Highland Games - and there is still another WSH and Gripmas before the end of the year. So I just train and enjoy I guess. I train "specifically" for just one grip contest a year - Gripmas. The rest of the time I train in a more general manner and then show up and do the best I can. It's not like I haven't been working out - just not really targeted for any one thing.

I did a Strongman comp a couple months ago - the WSH comp a couple weeks ago - a Highland Games last weekend - GGC is in 10 days - WSH the next Sat - then I'll be at Seneca Rocks climbing for 10 days - the next Sat is WSH again - then another Highland Games - and there is still another WSH and Gripmas before the end of the year. So I just train and enjoy I guess. I train "specifically" for just one grip contest a year - Gripmas. The rest of the time I train in a more general manner and then show up and do the best I can. It's not like I haven't been working out - just not really targeted for any one thing.

so, by "not training" you meant, "busting my butt". i see.

I heard not training and thought no grip. Obviously you hands are getting good solid work with all that stuff going on. Good call, Brent.

I heard not training and thought no grip. Obviously you hands are getting good solid work with all that stuff going on. Good call, Brent.

There's been quite a lot going on in my life lately - some good and some not so good news - so grip training in any specialized manner has been pretty limited. I fear my endurance will be lacking a good bit.

Sorry to hear that bro. Hope everybody is ok.

If there is controversy over the wrist roller then what will people do next year when there is a "catch the greased shaved pitbull" event??

I think the wrist roller is bad ass Jedd. Good thinking outside the box! :mosher

I like the idea of the wrist roller - but I do see it as a "finisher" and agree with placing it as the last event. I think it would have a detrimental effect on medley performances.

If there is controversy over the wrist roller then what will people do next year when there is a "catch the greased shaved pitbull" event??

I think the wrist roller is bad ass Jedd. Good thinking outside the box! :mosher

the dog doesn't have a chance.

Rick - catching him is one thing - shaving him might prove to be a bigger challenge :)

Wanted to post the Gripper Calibrations I have for Nationals. I know Chris has some Grippers that will fall in between as well.

Chis, do you have any that fall in around 182, 185 and 187? Everything else looks pretty darned good.

John Eaton, maybe?

I'd prefer them to be Grippers that were all calibrated using Chris Rice's system if possible, for consistency's sake.

Thanks.

Wanted to post the Gripper Calibrations I have for Nationals. I know Chris has some Grippers that will fall in between as well.

Chis, do you have any that fall in around 182, 185 and 187? Everything else looks pretty darned good.

John Eaton, maybe?

I'd prefer them to be Grippers that were all calibrated using Chris Rice's system if possible, for consistency's sake.

Thanks.

I do have a 182 for sure - I'll look tomorrow and see what else I have but that looks pretty good overall.

He just PMd me last night looking for that ya gripper thief!

It's not my fault he can't keep track of his toys.

I knew one of you punks had it.

Here is the design on the front of the tee shirt for Nationals.

nationals-shirt.png

Nice picture - looks just like you :)

Shirts look good Jedd! Looking forward to the contest. You need me to bring the other Fatman so you can have the double fatman lift as a bonus lift??

Rick, Bring the Fatman so we can mess with DFMFW after the contest, but I don't plan on using it for a bonus. Thanks bro. Glad you like the shirt design. I can't wait to see how they turn out when printed.

Getting everything set up now. Was going to try to stream it but can't seem to get it to work.

Here are the results from today's competition.

1. Jedd Johnson - 48.252 points

2. Andrew Durniat - 47.144 points

3. Brent Barbe - 42.951 points

4. John Eaton - 37.542

5. Chris Rice - 36.084

6. Zach Coulter - 24.442