2010 Nationals

Jedd Johnson

Thanks Andrew. Thought that was what you wore but wanted to make sure.

I have your here John. Thanks.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• climber511

• barbe705

• andurniat

XL Please

2x

ahem...

I was thinking along the same lines, but managed to restrain myself. Now that you mention it...

That is going to be one TIGHT 2X tee shirt. John could barely reach the wrist roller when we practiced it the other day...

Guys, I am ordering a few extra shirts for John's daughters and a few other people. If you want extras ordered, let me know and I will put it on the order. Scott Bird is buying the contest tees for the competitors, but the extra ones will be paid for by each individual person. They are $12.

The shirts are pretty cool. I will post them once my Graphics buddy, Rory, says it is okay to publicize it. He did a really good job.

Jedd

Wanted to give everybody an update on what the Medley will entail.

LEG ONE

The first thing that you will do is swing a 20-lb hammer onto a tire for 10 swings. Once you hit it the tenth time, your time starts. This is a pre-exhaust. This will not count towards your score.

Next, you will Farmer's Walk my 170-lb home made farmers 20-feet to the next station. This item will be the first one to count toward your score. (1 point)

Next, you will pick up a 110-lb anvil by the horn and waddle it to the next station where you will set it down on a rubber mat. (1 point)

LEG TWO

Next, there will be a loading area of block weights, kettlebells, and other items that you will put onto the vertical bar platform. This will be a speed portion off the medley and will not involve anything that is extremely hard. There will be 6 to 8 items there. (6 to 8 points)

Once done with the first platform, you can try for the first bonus feat which is tearing a 1.5 to 2-inch phone book. (1 point)

LEG THREE

Next will be a lever medley. There will be an 8-lb hammer with a coin on the head that you have to deadlift and set onto a loading platform without dropping the coin. There will be a lever bar with strap on it. You have to pick the bar up with both hands and hold it parallel and roll the strap up it. There will also be a 12-lb hammer that you have to lever to your nose and back, keeping your hand even with your shoulder. You can move on after completing two of these feats, but if you do three, you get a bonus attempt. (2 or 3 points)

The three leverage feats allows you to go for a reverse bend for a bonus point. (1 point)

LEG FOUR

Next is another loading area. Instead of the squat rack, we will use a set of rack pull stands with a plywood top. There will be another 6 items here as well. They will include: an Easy Blob, a thick Iron Bar (16-inches long by 3 inches thick), 55-lb anvil lifted by the tail, and a Key Pinch lift. There will also be a pair of scale weights stacked on top of one another with a 37.5-lb York on top of them. You have to pick up the FBBC bomb with 100-lbs and knock the 37.5-lb York and the green scale weight off the stack. You then can load the 37.5-lb weight and the two scale weights by holding the handles together. (6 points)

Getting all six items here gives you the chance to tear a deck of cards for a bonus point. These will be whatever decks of cards that are being sold for a dollar at Dollar General that week. (not tough) (1 point)

LEG FIVE

From here on it is a variety medley including Rolling Thunder, 2" V-Bar, 1" V-Bar, Thick Bar Dumbbell, etc. If you get all of them, you qualify to try for a bonus lift of the Fat Man Blob. The weights on these are undecided at this point. (6 to 8 points)

Final Bonus: Fat Man Blob(1 point)

This is the general design of the medley. There may be other items thrown in to add variety and increase the number of points at stake. There will not be any hex blocks over half of 100-lbs.

Time Limit is 3 Minutes.

I may go first on this one, regardless of placing so that I can be the one to put everything back where it needs to go after the turns. Plus this will aid as a demo for some of the challenges.

Any questions, please post them here. Thanks.

Jedd

Current Competitor List

Jedd Johnson

Andrew Durniat

Brent Barbe

Chris Rice

John Eaton

Is this all that is coming to compete? There may be more who have sent in entry forms, but they may not have arrived yet, plus I did not get to the PO Box on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks.

Jedd, there may be a few guys who only competed at one contest who might not qualify. For example, Gripmas had choked grippers and 2HP, but the 1H Axle DL and Hammer Lever do not have qualifying weights listed.

The wrist roller event sounds pretty fun and creative; it will be interesting to see the feedback on using a roller of that size.

I'm open to hearing the feedback.

Keep in mind, the wrist roller is supported on a bar and you can use both hands simultaneously or in a staggered fashion. I don't think hand size is going to come into play here with as much friction as you are able to generate, plus there is no gravity involved causing an eccentric load.

John Eaton claims to have small hands. That is not what held him back on his attempts with this. He kept pushing the roller against the side of the upright, which slowed him down, but he may be able to shed some light on things here.

I asked if there was any interest in hand size classes at the beginning of the thread and I don't remember seeing a reply to it.

Jedd I think I can arrange a small sponsorship from powerandbulk.com. I'll pm you in the next week or so.

Bob,

I never got a PM from you, and I never added you to the list above, so I didn't get your site on the shirt unfortunately. I am sorry about that. You do not need to send a package, since I left you off, bro. Thanks for the thought though. Again, sorry.

Here is the video on the set-up of the wrist roller event.

Jedd

Jedd, I think you earn points for creativity on this one. In some ways it reminds me of the last WSM contest, the "boat pull".

Thanks. I don't think I saw any of last year's contest, unfortunately.

Jedd

Guys, I am ordering a few extra shirts for John's daughters and a few other people. If you want extras ordered, let me know and I will put it on the order. Scott Bird is buying the contest tees for the competitors, but the extra ones will be paid for by each individual person. They are $12.

Jedd

If we wanted to order a tee shirt or two, how much should we add for postage? Snail Mail - - $5?

Hbgzr

Is the wrist roller before or after the medley - I vote for after because I doubt I will be able to move my hands after it :) ?

Jedd

If we wanted to order a tee shirt or two, how much should we add for postage? Snail Mail - - $5?

Hbgzr

I think it is $5.95 to ship to Cali.

Is the wrist roller before or after the medley - I vote for after because I doubt I will be able to move my hands after it :) ?

I answered this above. It is scheduled before currently.

I've been thinking about the order of events.

I want people to really kill the medley. This is the first one of its kind where you have to cover a distance and I don't want people's performance to be limited by the wrist roller. So I am officially changing the order of the last two events to Event 4: Medley, Event 5: Wrist Roller.

If you are training the medley, don't worry so much about setting up all of the exact challenges if you don't have them. The important thing is to set up at least a dozen or so tough challenges and then lift them for the 3-minutes time limit. For instance, you could set up some block weights, hammers, v-bars, and some other stuff for a total of just ten challenges and then try running through it twice in 3 minutes. A lot of these challenges are not going to be that tough. Stamina will be important. Make sure your thumbs are strong.

On the wrist roller, I think we are going to have a lot of people finishing or coming very close. The event is WAY tougher with the grass un-cut and it is going to be cut down as low as possible for the contest.

I secured the giant canopy that I had last year for the event so we will have plenty of shelter for the event for the times we have to go outside.

I think that's it for updates right now. Anybody have questions?

Jedd

As you know I can't make it but I did want to chime in that I think the wrist roller is a great idea of yours just make sure that the bench is secured down. if I ever make it up there I would like to give it a try.

Parris

Yep, it is going to be staked down. Thanks.

Maybe you can come up for one of the Strongest Hands Series.

John, what size shirts for the girls?

Does anyone else want extra shirts?

Jedd

I made a quick video of how i think the guys could train for the wristroller event if anyone would like to check it out, its not the same as yours but this can be set up fast, in under a min im sure. All you have to do is repeat the process for one minute to build up your stamina for this event. To me it seems there has been some controversy about it since this is a new event for the Nats. maybe this might help the guys train for it if they dont have your set up this could help. If you posted the entire weight of the sled plus the weight ( i think you just posted the weight so far) they could do thier own calculations as to what they need to train with for the event.

~Parris

PS Jedd, i do want to come for one of the legs id like to up my ranking in the 2HP top 50.

Edited by rico300zx

What - train for a contest or an event - blasphemy!! Well with two weeks to go anyway - it's a bit late for me :)

Jedd

I made a quick video of how i think the guys could train for the wristroller event if anyone would like to check it out, its not the same as yours but this can be set up fast, in under a min im sure. All you have to do is repeat the process for one minute to build up your stamina for this event. To me it seems there has been some controversy about it since this is a new event for the Nats. maybe this might help the guys train for it if they dont have your set up this could help. If you posted the entire weight of the sled plus the weight ( i think you just posted the weight so far) they could do thier own calculations as to what they need to train with for the event.

~Parris

PS Jedd, i do want to come for one of the legs id like to up my ranking in the 2HP top 50.

Huh. Funny I haven't heard this.

What - train for a contest or an event - blasphemy!! Well with two weeks to go anyway - it's a bit late for me :)

I guess I don't understand this statement. I guess I can't get my head wrapped around the idea of not training for a contest?

Jedd

~Parris

Huh. Funny I haven't heard this.

I guess I don't understand this statement. I guess I can't get my head wrapped around the idea of not training for a contest?

I just ment about how it was placed in the order of events at the Nats. This year that's all I meant to say.

Rico

I changed the order last night so hopefully there won't be as much controversy.