2010 Nationals

Jedd Johnson

I reserved at the victoria as well. didn't mention jedd since my phone was almost dead. I will pretend that I know none of you, so stay the hell away. I'll be wearing my game face starting 10 days out.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• climber511

• barbe705

• andurniat

if people are having trouble getting a hotel I know that 2 years ago I stayed at a camp ground right there on the river. they had showers and it was right on the river. can't remember the name but, you just have to google it. it was only about 15 minutes from jedd's.

if people are having trouble getting a hotel I know that 2 years ago I stayed at a camp ground right there on the river. they had showers and it was right on the river. can't remember the name but, you just have to google it. it was only about 15 minutes from jedd's.

That is called Riverside Acres Campground. They were not in the phone book, so i didn't even think of them.

They are literally 1 mile from my house, but you have to get to a bridge to get there, so it turns into 15, 20 minutes. Anybody teleport? Andrew?

As I had mentioned before, I was going to test the Wrist Roller aparatus to make sure we had a realistic weight, distance, time limit, etc, as well as seeing how the aparatus held up...

Here is the video of the testing John Eaton and I did yesterday.

As you'll see we tested various distances up my yard. We found a good place to run the dragging lane.

As you'll see, there are a few suggestions in the comments on the youtube page.

To make the event cooler, I am going put down some flags to mark distance along the way. Will also get either a cone or a different color of flag for the leader's position.

To control other factors, I have some stakes to pound into the ground to keep the rig from jumping around. There will also be a judge there to spool the strap up in a controlled manner to keep it from wrapping too high or getting caught against the guide. The judge will also warn the athlete if they keep shoving the wrist roller against the pole, as John continued to do over and over despite my warning him.

The grass will be mowed for the event as well.

Distance will be about 75 feet with 45 lbs loaded on the sled.

So time to get training.

Let me know if any questions.

Jedd

That is called Riverside Acres Campground. They were not in the phone book, so i didn't even think of them.

They are literally 1 mile from my house, but you have to get to a bridge to get there, so it turns into 15, 20 minutes. Anybody teleport? Andrew?

Guess it wasn't a funny joke...

how thick is that roller? I thought it was 2". in the video it looks like 4"?

how will we determine the order for the roller and medley events?

Giving it a think I might be able to make it. I will talk it over with the Boss. :laugh

how thick is that roller? I thought it was 2". in the video it looks like 4"?

how will we determine the order for the roller and medley events?

3.5 inch roller. Not sure where it says it's a two-inch roller.

order is based on where people are at as far as lacement in the contest. last goes first. first goes last.

Giving it a think I might be able to make it. I will talk it over with the Boss. :laugh

I hope you can make it buddy!

do we have a rain back up plan?

I am going to have a pop-up tent over the equipment from the start of the day on. the wrist roller will be kept inside until it is time for the event. so the equipment should not get wet.

Are you mostly wondering about if the grass gets wet?

I don't know why I thought it was a 2". and I finally got to use a computer with sound for the video.

I have no idea what I'm worried about with rain.

sounds good. looks like a really horrible event.

This past weekend a lot of guys competed in the World's Strongest Hands Series, Leg 1.

I would like to enable some of those competitors to come to Nationals if they are interested.

However, I know many of the contests did not include a lot of the normal events we usually hold here in the US.

To summarize, here are the normal steps for qualifying in the US Nationals competition:

Qualification for Nationals takes place in USHS sanctioned contests only, announced on the Gripboard.

Qualification Chance 1: Athletes shall qualify for Nationals if they finish top 3 in a US Hand Strength sanctioned contest announced on the Gripboard between September 2009 and September 2010.

Qualification Chance 2: Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during 2009-2010 competition:

1" Vertical Bar - 290

2" FBBC Vertical Bar - 200

Gripper - IM #3 or equivalent (140#), or 150# choker close

Reverse Bending - Grade 5x6" bolt

Axle Deadlift - 290

Plate Pinch - 170

One Hand Deadlift – 225

Qualification Chance 3: Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats:

Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)

Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch

Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)

These qualifying lifts can be done in a medley as long as the lift meets the requirements of the normal event as far as the standard for completion: lift to lockout, lift to stick, lift to two inches, etc.

So, if you finished Top 3 in the 1st leg, you are qualified by Step 1.

If your contest included the events from Step 2, then you may have qualified, depending on your individual contest. You will need to accomplish 3 of those marks. I will also add that if you closed the Vulcan at Level 13 or 14 with a gold spring, then that is roughly equal to a #3 close, per David Horne, originator of the device.

I am currently waiting for a rating for the Wrist Developer for an equivalent for a Grade 5 bolt bend.

Also, if you closed the Vulcan at level 19 or 20, David has assigned a weight of this feat equal to closing a #4 COC, so that would qualify you right off the bat.

I know this year there seems to have been fewer contests, so hopefully this enables the people who would like to come to Nationals be able to do so without watering down the numbers.

Thanks.

Jedd

I don't know why I thought it was a 2". and I finally got to use a computer with sound for the video.

I have no idea what I'm worried about with rain.

sounds good. looks like a really horrible event.

Honestly, dude - it isn't that bad. Prior to Saturday the only training I was doing was a finisher set of 3 lifts with the wrist roller hung about 4 feet off the ground and I was able to continue turning for the 60 seconds every time. I only did that finisher on one day of training and it wasn't until I announced the event here.

The hardest time was the first time when I started with the sled at the very bottom of the hill. We are not going to have to contend with that hill at the contest. Pretty smooth shot up the grade with that portion of the lane eliminated.

I'll paraphrase what the Chad said some time ago - "Find out what the events are, train them until you get good at them." Get your endurance going with a 3 inch or larger wrist roller and you should be in pretty good shape. Really, as long as you just don't ignore the event in your training, you should be in pretty good shape.

If it rains, it is going to suck to stand out in the rain. But, I will take the L on that one as I am the promoter. You guys won't have to deal with that very much. I will get with my buddy who lent me the giant tent thing that I had last year and see if he will let me use it again this year so we have more area to stand in so we can watch each other on this event and not have to worry about getting rained on.

If it rains, it is going to suck to stand out in the rain. But, I will take the L on that one as I am the promoter. You guys won't have to deal with that very much. I will get with my buddy who lent me the giant tent thing that I had last year and see if he will let me use it again this year so we have more area to stand in so we can watch each other on this event and not have to worry about getting rained on.

As long as the device is in out of the rain - who cares? Now is the Wrist Roller before or after the medley?

Jedd, there may be a few guys who only competed at one contest who might not qualify. For example, Gripmas had choked grippers and 2HP, but the 1H Axle DL and Hammer Lever do not have qualifying weights listed.

The wrist roller event sounds pretty fun and creative; it will be interesting to see the feedback on using a roller of that size.

With the limited number of contests per year and events changing at almost all of them - perhaps doing qualifying numbers somewhere should last more than one year for eligibility purposes?

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but first I'd like to see what the members feel about the Poll I just posted in the contest forum.

for the record I have no intention of training a wrist roller at all. I just plan to deal with it and swear a lot. this is a change from my normal strategy of meaning to train specifically for things and then forgetting to.

Get your wrist roller out and start training, beyotch.

Actually, just do the exact opposite of John Eaton in that video and you should be alright bro.

Guys,

I need to get the tee shirt order in to the tee shirt printers.

If you are planning to come, could you please post your tee shirt size here by tomorrow?

Thanks.

Jedd

2x and a small.

andrew might not see this since he's in south africa.

That dude covers the globe. He's been in so many countries the last two years he's no longer allowed to donate blood.

Terence and I are playing nice in the South African sand.

XL tshirt size for me please.

2x