My Progress On The Coc Grippers

Guest IrNLifter

Guest IrNLifter

I got my #2 about 2 months ago which I was strong enough to close out of the box with both hands(having been working with the Ivanko for several month previous), and rec'd the #3 about a month ago, I'm now 6 pennies away from closing the #3, I started with 10 pennies and take one off a week.....I've been doing Beyond the range crushes with the #2 (modified)....and an equal number of negatives with the #3, I start each week with 6 reps on each gripper, alternating back and forth, and work up to 10 or 12 reps adding a rep or so a day then take a day off, I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far....I bought the KTA course but haven't been following it exactly, but it's the same ideas, work with the grippers everyday, take one day off.....oh, and another thing I've found that helps, when the skin on my hands gets really torn up I'll take a piece of althletic tape and put it on the outer side of the grippers just to give my skin a rest, when I go back after a few days without the tape my skin has hardened and it's easier....cuz it seems the worst part of it is the constantly popped blisters....yech!! That's my 6 cents! ;)

IrNL,

I too ordered the KTA program, but my life is so crazy I barely have time to touch my grippers each day. I like the concepts, I just wish I had enough time to devote to it. Others have talked about using the penny idea. I may have to try that. So far my skin hasn't ripped, but I'll keep the tape in mind for when they eventually do.

Alan

Irnlifter,

I really like the ISG too, just got mine recently. Currently I use it in my training to supplement my Coc training as it doesn't have the same effects on the soft tissues.

6 pennies on the #3 is great!!!!!!

Jon@han

You should do your negatives with a Elite or a #4. You should also drop the pennies ans simply give the #3 everything you have. Once in a while, it's good to measure but don't do it on every single close.

My 2 ;) cents.

Guest IrNLifter

I agree with ya Tou, and that's something I do, I do switch off to just squeezing the bejeezus out of my #3, then closing against my knee and holding it as shut as possible for 5 secs....today it shut much farther than before, was about 1/4" from closure on my 6th rep(which really freaked me out!)....the #3 felt much easier today....I kept looking to make sure I hadn't mixed em up....still not a close but my progress has been steady.... :rock:rolleyes I'm planning on getting the #4 very soon, cuz as I get closer to the last bit of the #3 I know I'll need the heavy negs to be able to eventually close it completely.....

:whacked

IrNLifter,

Do you have a grip machine? If not, get one. That's what helped me.

Guest IrNLifter

I've got a IM HardyHandshake, it doesn't feel the same as the grippers, and all I've ever used it for was timed holds with about 50lbs, I'm not sure of the weight/lever ratio on it, but how much weight should I use on it? any thoughts would be appreciated. :D

Cut the base off around the bottom handle and to the post. Then lay it on a bench and grip it from underneath so that the moving handle is the one your fingers are on....much better!!! Also file down the center of the handles for an increased rom more like the grippers. Do a search on this site for modified HH and you'll find picks from another member who has done this.

Jon@han

Guest IrNLifter
:D 5 pennies! I did my singles with no pennies the past few days, squeezing really hard...and I've had the flu since thursday! yesterday I could barely sqeeze to parallel...today I thought I'd go back to the pennies thing and voila! 5! overcrushes on the #2 and all out on the #3 is still working, I did some really heavy negs with the Ivanko, which maybe explains why I couldn't crush yesterday?? or it could be from being ill...hard to tell, but it seems to have past....And yes, Jonathan I'm gonna try your suggestion with the grip machine, just as soon as I get my tools back from work....

Wow, your just smoking along in your training! We got the snow dumped on us at the beginning of the week the last few days have just been too cold for snow.

Jon@han

Guest IrNLifter

Hmm, well I'm kinda shy about saying anything, cuz I, for one, am not too sure about it....but I heard a click from my #3 last night....my g/f was sitting next to me while I was working the grippers and she heard it too.... but it's still feels a long way from being able to close that thing at will...I'm down to the last 1/4". I tried dropping the volume for a few workouts and gave my skin time to heal, that seems to have helped ...my left hand feels like its getting weaker however....I wonder if it's a CNS type of thing, as I activate more motor responce on the right could my left be getting weaker from fewer motor responces? Anyone else notice this, or am I being a head case? :stuart

I wonder if it's a CNS type of thing, as I activate more motor responce on the right could my left be getting weaker from fewer motor responces? Anyone else notice this, or am I being a head case?
That is an interesting question, one worth exploring. I always start my grip sets with my left (off) hand. I'm not sure why, maybe just to warm myself up mentally. I am going to switch that around on my Saturday gripper session just to see if it changes how close I get with each hand. Thanks for the idea. Good luck with your training, you are doing very well.

• 4 months later...
I got my #2 about 2 months ago which I was strong enough to close out of the box with both hands(having been working with the Ivanko for several month previous), and rec'd the #3 about a month ago, I'm now 6 pennies away from closing the #3, I started with 10 pennies and take one off a week.....I've been doing Beyond the range crushes with the #2 (modified)....and an equal number of negatives with the #3, I start each week with 6 reps on each gripper, alternating back and forth, and work up to 10 or 12 reps adding a rep or so a day then take a day off, I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far....I bought the KTA course but haven't been following it exactly, but it's the same ideas, work with the grippers everyday, take one day off.....oh, and another thing I've found that helps, when the skin on my hands gets really torn up I'll take a piece of althletic tape and put it on the outer side of the grippers just to give my skin a rest, when I go back after a few days without the tape my skin has hardened and it's easier....cuz it seems the worst part of it is the constantly popped blisters....yech!! That's my 6 cents! ;)

so i see your doing penny stack good choice

good work with the pennies you have very good progress, just keep on training and then the #3 will feel like nothing ;)

It reminds me of the song, "Pennies From Heaven". :rolleyes:laugh:D