Tns #3 Close

bencrush

A lot of guys have asked me to get a clear video of this so here it is. Good, strong gripper day for me. I'm competing in my first Highland Games contest tomorrow so I took it easy overall on the grippers today. Josh Dale and I used to do some Oil-Based Training and that included some training where we simply coated whatever grippers we were working with in oil and then closed them with either an MMS or TNS. This seems to be much healthier than our Mercury-Based Training idea that never made it past the human trials stage. Everyone kept getting sick for some reason.

• Like 1

I will try my trainer gripper.That is a strong close Ben.I probably will incorporate that into my gripper training to make it more interesting.

I will try my trainer gripper.That is a strong close Ben.I probably will incorporate that into my gripper training to make it more interesting.

Thanks Rick! Glad to hear you're going to give it a try. Everyone I've convinced to try it has been really pleased with how easy it makes any other no-set or MMS work feel. You will get the best results if you train that way at least once a week though for a month or so. Then go back to your normal training and watch the PRs rain down like Wesson oil rain.

Classic innovative Bencrush video :bow

Strong stuff!

Nice pan no set Ben!!

What is the T in TSN? I figure the NS means no set.

T=table so TNS=table no set or in this case since the gripper was in a tin pan I guess it could be Tin No Set :whistel

I tried this several years ago (with a #2) and it did not make it that

much more difficult. Has to do with viscosity.

I placed STP Oil Treatment on it and everything changed. Not happening!

Not trying to knock your theory at all here Ben but FOR ME the Wesson oil

is not a proper choice IF you want it to be REALLY DIFFICULT.

Take care and good thinking. ;)

Strong close, Ben!

Do you clean the oil off after each session, or do you have a dedicated oily gripper? If you clean it, do you use anything other than soapy water?

As a separate topic, it would be interesting to list all of the unorthodox training methods developed by the grip legends over time, such as Ben's oil, Gazza's bending with stim electrodes on forearms, etc.

No offense taken Joe! I haven't tried that STP Oil Treatment on any grippers so I'll take your advice (I trust you quite a bit) and give that a shot soon. The Wesson oil (or most oils like that) makes it maybe 10% harder for me. I might be affected by oil more than most guys too since I LOVE to coat the heck out of my hands and the entire handle surface on grippers. Even my warmup grippers. So I might've just made this out to be harder than it really is and maybe I should be a bit embarrassed thinking it's something hard.

:blush

Strong close, Ben!

Do you clean the oil off after each session, or do you have a dedicated oily gripper? If you clean it, do you use anything other than soapy water?

As a separate topic, it would be interesting to list all of the unorthodox training methods developed by the grip legends over time, such as Ben's oil, Gazza's bending with stim electrodes on forearms, etc.

Thanks Tim! I clean the oil off thoroughly after each session. I don't do that too often either. I have also done the same oiled TNS close at a friend's house with his 158lb Grand Master, but he (mistakenly) is convinced that it would somehow negatively impact his gripper and he hasn't let me repeat it since.

No offense taken Joe! I haven't tried that STP Oil Treatment on any grippers so I'll take your advice (I trust you quite a bit) and give that a shot soon. The Wesson oil (or most oils like that) makes it maybe 10% harder for me. I might be affected by oil more than most guys too since I LOVE to coat the heck out of my hands and the entire handle surface on grippers. Even my warmup grippers. So I might've just made this out to be harder than it really is and maybe I should be a bit embarrassed thinking it's something hard.

:blush

Ben, I LOVE your idea! I was just sharing my experience with it. You shared this with me

a while back and I tried it. As far as I know you are the first to come up with this training

idea (good one at that).

BTW, my apologies for not mentioning such a strong close under not ideal conditions. :bow

I value in many things you say and share. Thanks for sharing Ben!!! :)

Ben,

Have you tried taping the handles with slick electrical tape, then oiling it?

Good one, and yes I've tried that! Makes it pretty difficult but I think it's more due to the tape sliding around than the oil. What has been the hardest is using the "sleeves" that came on my Atomgripz gripper and then trying to TNS my #3 with those on has resulted in only one close out of about 10 attempts. The sleeves (fit over the handles) try to slip off and they rotate. It makes closing the #2 pretty hard even.

Very impressive Ben! :mosher I'm well impressed by any #3 TNS close but this adds a little - gotta be harder than a dry hand with chalk.

I would imagine that this would work best with smooth handle grippers.

Ben have you had a chance to try this with smooth handles?

Ben, strong close bro. Hey, have you ever tried this with KY jelly ?

Wow that is impressive Ben. Always great training ideas.

Tim