Tim Struse, Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Tim Struse

As having closed the Mash Monster Elite Gripper (Level 1) with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

The certification is granted by the GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest. The Mash Monster Gripper was one of a limited number supplied by, rated and qualified by, and controlled by the Board. This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for historical posterity.

gallery_9552_18_5843.jpg

Tim mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Name: Tim Struse

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 250

Date of Feat: July 1, 2010

Witness: None

VIDEO:

How Long Grip Training: 1-2 years

Current Grip Training Program: One hard session per week.

Other Training Info: 5/3/1 devotee.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Aaron Corcorran.

gallery_9552_18_13655.jpg

Tim Struse, the 67th Man in the World to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

(age, when started lifting, why you started, what you do now as far as lifts)

I'm 33 years old. I did lots of lifting alongside college football and track. When college ended I went to law school and had a family and then spent 6-7 years sedentary with no lifting. I picked up lifting again in November 2008, initially following Crossfit workouts but then gradually moving more toward the core lifts. I've been following the 5/3/1 program for almost a year with some great results.

How did you get into grip training?

A mutual friend introduced me to Aaron Corcorran. I first met Aaron at his comp in February 2009 and at that time met Paul Knight. I really enjoyed the comp. Both Aaron and Paul have been true ambassadors of the sport.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Discard any TNS or CCS training. Specialize in MM closes.

You are also a Certified Captain of Crush® How long did it take you from when you first started working on the grippers to closing the #3?

N/A

What does your current grip routine look like?

Grippers, pinch and thick bar once per week. Lots of double-overhand work on the axle and regular oly bar.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

Shorter in duration but far more intense.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees even with the common goal of ultimate grip strength. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it's affect on your training?

Yes. I respond best to one extremely intense session per week. I've tried training twice per week but can only maintain this if the intensity is lower.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

2" v-bar, double-overhand deadlift on oly bar.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

I'd tell them that training for overall power is just as important for grip strength as direct grip strength training. Within the direct grip strength training, I'd suggest doing one high-intensity session per week that would include: grippers, pinch, thick bar, wrists/forearms.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Aaron Corcorran

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I would have better known my limits and avoided some overtraining.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

2-hand pinch

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

380 DO axle DL

275 2" v-bar

COC #3 left hand (MM set)

COC #3.5 right hand (MM set)

215 2HP in training

500 DO DL on oly bar

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Focusing too much on grip and not enough on overall power.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

The performances by the winners of the Mighty Mitts comp.