Cobra Vs Magnus Sammuelson

fightertrainer

http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/

Magnus appears at 2:54 mark........................................................................... Not even close

i think you mean 1:54

I think you're right LOL

i always wondered where Cobra takes his strength from? I mean, the Cobra is not bulky or so and his arm are not really that impressive. His Hands and wrist are goddamn strong, but still...

i always wondered where Cobra takes his strength from? I mean, the Cobra is not bulky or so and his arm are not really that impressive. His Hands and wrist are goddamn strong, but still...

IMO AW strength comes from Tendons. It's the strength based on tendons not muscles. His tendons must be as big as bigger guys, plus all the conditioning over the years. Now, tendons take many many years to harden. As any things else in the body, come parts come already gifted. No matter how big your muscles are, if the connective tissues (tendons) are weak, then your as weak as the tendons indicated. Muscles strength tends to fade faster then tendon in a match. Consider a bat can hang upside down all day with small muscles in the legs. But the tendons are adapted to grip all day. Ask someone with big strong hand to play piano (even fake play) his hands get tired quickly, because it takes years for fingers/hand tendons adapt to that. Finger tendon for piano playing requires dexterity, not stiffness like in AW. BUt in the end, European AWers also train their muscles a lot. They have both powers from muscles and tendons, why not if you can utilize all what you have. No surprise that they 're doing very well now. BUT IMO still tendon is the front runner of AW power

That was also an awfully skinny Magnus. But yeah...to the morons that thought he would have done anything with Brzenk...

one thing i'll say about Cobra from seeing him pull alot in this area

He gets into positions on the table that i've never seen any other AW pull from and looks comf

Also i've never seen another AW go around the end of the table with his body like i've seen him do :D

Wow... I thought it would be a little closer than that. Then again, back then Cobra did manage to take Brzenk's hand once:

I wonder how Cobra back then would do at a Worlds today at 165? How would he do against Janis?

Wow... I thought it would be a little closer than that. Then again, back then Cobra did manage to take Brzenk's hand once:

I wonder how Cobra back then would do at a Worlds today at 165? How would he do against Janis?

im sure he would do pretty good. He had wins over Terzi and basically every top armwrestler in his prime. Brzenk said in an interview that the Cobra of today is not what he used to be. Im still amazed with his abillities on the table and the strength he has. I wouldnt be suprised if he also has a win over Brzenk.

By the Way - Tendons alone wont give you superior strength, muscles do the work. Even though i agree that tendons are very important in AW, especially if it comes to longlivity in the sport and to avoid serious injuries and to apply the power you got at the right points. But still you need the muscle power to curl your wrist, to use your rotator, shoulders, back etc.

Edited by Schweinemann

with cobras hand and wrist control as well as his overwhelmingly long arm, I say he would beat ant 165 if he was in his absolute best shape of his career.

He is not in the same shape but he always controls his opponents hands even still.

He is a FULL hand toproller, so when he takes it it is gone...........no finger wars..........I love the way he pulls, like mike selearis, he truly uses every bit of himself effectively and it echoes in their dominance and even against much bigger guys who aren't as efficent.

i was shocked a couple years ago when Cobra showed up to the Harley pull at 154

wining of course

Cobra is one of those guys who could make alot of money pulling in bars/bets

because he dosnt look like much just looking at him

i was shocked a couple years ago when Cobra showed up to the Harley pull at 154

wining of course

Cobra is one of those guys who could make alot of money pulling in bars/bets

because he dosnt look like much just looking at him

Every lightweight can that... I'm a nobody but make cash wrestling in bars and clubs on a regular base ...

Just have a good hook and press, cause top rolling starts trouble and moving the body too much too..

Schweinemann , have you ever heard of Golgi tendon organ? It's body nervous sytem designed to protect your body. How it works is when you use muscle to exert maximum force (true here), if the resistant is higher than the ability to contract your muscle the tendon will creep out (stretched out or tendon creeping. If that happens, the nerve in the tendon will signal the brain to stop your muscle from contracting any harder. This happens whether you're aware of it or not. IMO, AWer tendon is much much stronger than a strongman (Magnus or body builder). We, Awers have thicker tendon than general population from training and competing. This allows our muscle to contract as hard as we can w/o tendon creeping. Most people can build their muscle faster than their tendon. Tendon take years to harden to improve tensile strength. That's why sometime we see a real big strong man fails to beat a smaller Awer. What use is the muscle when your tendon won't allow it to contract harder than you want? What happen when you try too hard to overcome the resistant even when you muscle can't contract any harder? Something may snap if the resistant overpower the tendon/muscle tensile strength. I know I hope you realize AW is the tendon sport. Make that tendon stronger!

Tendon won't contract but play a big role to dictate how much you can exert in AW

Edited by fightertrainer

Schweinemann , have you ever heard of Golgi tendon organ? It's body nervous sytem designed to protect your body. How it works is when you use muscle to exert maximum force (true here), if the resistant is higher than the ability to contract your muscle the tendon will creep out (stretched out or tendon creeping. If that happens, the nerve in the tendon will signal the brain to stop your muscle from contracting any harder. This happens whether you're aware of it or not. IMO, AWer tendon is much much stronger than a strongman (Magnus or body builder). We, Awers have thicker tendon than general population from training and competing. This allows our muscle to contract as hard as we can w/o tendon creeping. Most people can build their muscle faster than their tendon. Tendon take years to harden to improve tensile strength. That's why sometime we see a real big strong man fails to beat a smaller Awer. What use is the muscle when your tendon won't allow it to contract harder than you want? What happen when you try too hard to overcome the resistant even when you muscle can't contract any harder? Something may snap if the resistant overpower the tendon/muscle tensile strength. I know I hope you realize AW is the tendon sport. Make that tendon stronger!

Tendon won't contract but play a big role to dictate how much you can exert in AW

well, i never questioned your posts. I just said that the muscles still do the work and thats why most people are stronger when they gain muscles, even in Armwrestling. I know how hard AW is for the tendons and how long it takes to get used to it, if you ever really get used to it. I just said that strong tendons "play a big role to dictate how much you can exert in AW" and to prevent injuries and pull for a long time. Its no secrets that big strong tendons can build bigger and stronger muscles. So you might have misunderstood me here. But its still the muslces that are doing the work, otherwise weight wouldnt make any difference. So yes, tendons are very important, but they are nothing without powerful muscles pulling them. I guess we can agree here.

cheers.

well, i never questioned your posts. I just said that the muscles still do the work and thats why most people are stronger when they gain muscles, even in Armwrestling. I know how hard AW is for the tendons and how long it takes to get used to it, if you ever really get used to it. I just said that strong tendons "play a big role to dictate how much you can exert in AW" and to prevent injuries and pull for a long time. Its no secrets that big strong tendons can build bigger and stronger muscles. So you might have misunderstood me here. But its still the muslces that are doing the work, otherwise weight wouldnt make any difference. So yes, tendons are very important, but they are nothing without powerful muscles pulling them. I guess we can agree here.

cheers.

Ok let me see how I can make anology here w/o mudding it up. Tendon is like the weak link in the chain, except you can actually thicken it and make it stronger. Think about a crane. The motor (muscle) that wind-up the load to lift, then the tendon is the cables the attaches to the load. Bigger guy tend to have big tendon. But that's not always true. If smaller man train his tendon in advance then a bigger guy can't compete against him. If it's muscle alone, then the biggest bodybuilder will win in AW against a smaller pro AWer. But we all know it is NOT the case here. I take any top light weight Awer over any bodybuilder in AW. It's true that most bigger AWer will prevail against smaller AWer. Though it's not always correct. BUt as we already saw here, Cobra was a giant killer. So was Engin Terzi, Brzenk, Zoloev...At Zoloev is 165 lbs, how many 220 lbs AWer do you think can beat Zoloev in a hook wolrdwide? That maybe less than a handfull. So what we suspect here that Zoloev has? Supreme gifted tendons

In other words, if right now your tendons suddenly becomes 5 times stronger (an estimate), you can hang with many world class AWer w/o having to gain any weight at all, period. What I am really trying to point it across is: the tendon allows you to lock tighter w/o triggering the tendon Golgi Organ system to fail and prevent your muscle from doing it intended work. Is that better?

I like the example with the crane :)

I think what Schweinemann means is, that you can have the strongest tendons on earth, but if the muscle that moves it or does the isometric hold isn't strong (not big, I mean strong), than you would still loose.

Whatever... just my thoughts... and I'm no expert at all ;)

• 2 weeks later...

CUT....CUT....CUT

So was Engin Terzi, Brzenk, Zoloev...At Zoloev is 165 lbs, how many 220 lbs AWer do you think can beat Zoloev in a hook wolrdwide? That maybe less than a handfull. So what we suspect here that Zoloev has? Supreme gifted tendons

OH Yes... Gifted GENETIC, Unbelievable training at right AGE and with "healthy food" makes talented armwrestlers...

In other words, if right now your tendons suddenly becomes 5 times stronger (an estimate), you can hang with many world class AWer w/o having to gain any weight at all, period. What I am really trying to point it across is: the tendon allows you to lock tighter w/o triggering the tendon Golgi Organ system to fail and prevent your muscle from doing it intended work. Is that better?

So in your opinion, what's the best LEGAL training method to strengthen the TENDONS?? even not so suddenly...

where to hell is my last post?!

I got no idea myself. I have NO authority to delete any post even in my own thread. Must be some post-master

or moderator that did it

Bicio

IMO, there 3 ways to strengthen and thicken your tendon. Isometric with longer duration than 20 seconds. 2nd and fast repeated movement with very light weight for high reps and short range or ROM. 3rd one is the one I came up with and I call it Iso-dynamic or Variable Isometric. For ex: If you do bicep curl, your bicep will gets tires rather qucikly, but the bicep tendons won't feel tired just yet. NOw try this: Take the same weight you curl, but instead of curling, you hold it with both elbows bent at 90 degree and start a short ROM WRIST-CURL (forearms are parallel to the floor). YOur bicep tendon will feel very tired right at the elbow below the bicep, but your bicep itself is not as tired as the tendon. The angle of the pull relative to to your arm will dictate which tendon you're trying to thicken. With cable you can adjust the angle easily by turning your body for side pressure training or else. Be carefull with turn your body away for side pressure hit, too much weight hurts the inner elbow ligaments/tendons.

Light weight with fast repeated movement and high reps also trains your tendon. I observe that pianoist who play classical has very strong fingers. This comes wiht years of fast scale run for hours (A pianist in my old band can bend nail with his fingers w/o training) John B. said that he uses a light hand gripper and just goes at it everyday for 100s of reps. I actually had posted about this tendon training in the past in very details here.

Variable-Isometric is done with bands. IMO. you need to loosen up your forearm and upper arm with streching exercise after training or your forearm/hand will loose it dexterity in motion. Very light weight and long ROM seems to help a lot with loosen up the tight muscle/tendon

Notice: I don't know how to speed up the thicken process of the tendon/ligament. It takes years and years

• 3 years later...

Obviously a weaker, skinnier Magnus without the training.

Magnus in his peak form would make quick work od Rhodes.

Wow never thought I'd say this but...Sam, I think I agree with you...