World's Strongest Hands-2010-ft. Worth

EricMilfeld

I will be one of many promoters around the globe hosting the four legs of this unique contest.

Dates

Saturdays of Aug. 14, Sept. 11, Oct. 16, and Nov. 13.

Times

1100 AM

Entry Fees

$15 per leg or all four legs for $37 payable via cash or Paypal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTBthmP4Ck

Rules

No wrist wraps, or gloves allowed.

Only chalk (Magnesium Carbonate) allowed.

On single handed events (Vulcan), you can use whatever hand you wish (please put which hand on the results email).

Special springs (gold and orange) will be used for the Vulcan and Wrist Developer at this contest.

The Wrist Developers have been made especially for the contest – please use only those that have been supplied and are marked ‘WSH’.

Weights for the Pinch Lift must be calibrated plates, or have been weighed at a Post Office and marked.

The rising bar system is used (as normal) rather than the rounds system.

Before the contest starts, please draw lots to see the running order, because even though it is ‘Rising Bar’, if there are 2 or more lifters on the same weight, then there needs to be a system of knowing who goes next.

Warm ups are allowed on the same apparatus as the weight is increased. It is the responsibility of the competitor to tell the referee/score keeper their lift before the weight has been passed by; weights cannot be lowered if a lifter misses his weight.

Who to call next?

Competitors are called to the platform in order based on the following:

• Weight of barbell - lightest weight first.

• The number of the attempt - least first.

• Lot number (where applicable) - lowest number first.

If a lifter wants to change his attempt up, then this is allowed. He is allowed a maximum of two changes per event.

The usual 4 attempts per event will be used.

Running order

1. Two Hands Pinch Lift

2. Wrist Developer

3. One Hand Vulcan Gripper - 20mm block close

Event 1 - Two Hands Pinch Lift

Toss a coin to see if you go from thin to thick width on the Pinch Lift.

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip (with no further than a 3” gap between the index fingers) and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal stick placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the stick to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Additional equipment rules:

1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh similar (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear).

2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves.

3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length.

4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifters hands are not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

Event 2 – Wrist Developer

The Wrist Developer is closed by using the ‘Reverse Bending’ style, which means having the holding hand vertical (holding the bottom handle), and the other hand pulling down the handle till it touches the ‘stopper’.

No part of the machine or competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Neither is the elbow allowed to wedge against the torso for leverage. If the elbow touches the torso this is fine as long as it has not been wedged to gain an advantage.

The Wrist Developer should be kept between an imaginary line from the groin to the head and not go above or below this. You will be warned by the referee.

The hand padding used will be the one pair of thin suede wraps (10” X 4”, all cut from the same piece of suede) that came with the machine, and the elastic bands. These should be kept in the same position, with no more than a ¼” overhang (approx.).

Any level with the Gold spring will better any level with the Orange spring.

Start off with the Gold spring on the machine using a rising bar system, raising it one level at a time. This allows anyone to have a go at this level, and if they fail they can move down to the Orange spring with the remainder of their attempts, which will be done after the Gold.

Event 3 - One Hand Vulcan Gripper - 20 mm block close

Competitors will set the gripper down to a 20mm block of wood to measure the gap before the close. You will hold and apply the gauge yourself. Once the gripper is set (the other hand must be kept away from the gripping hand, arm and gripper) close the gripper till the handles touch.

Any level with the Gold spring will better any level with the Orange spring.

Start off with the Gold spring on the machine using a rising bar system, raising it one level at a time. This allows anyone to have a go at this level, and if they fail they can move down to the Orange spring with the remainder of their attempts, which will be done after the Gold.

Spring levels

The spring levels with a Gold spring are;

LEVEL 24 (both springs attached to #8 notches)

LEVEL 23 (front spring attached to #8 notch, and the rear spring attached to #7 notch)

LEVEL 22 (front spring attached to #7 notch, and the rear spring attached to #8 notch)

LEVEL 21 (both springs attached to #7 notches)

LEVEL 20 (front spring attached to #7 notch, and the rear spring attached to #6 notch)

LEVEL 19 (front spring attached to #6 notch, and the rear spring attached to #7 notch)

LEVEL 18 (both springs attached to #6 notches)

LEVEL 17 (front spring attached to #6 notch, and the rear spring attached to #5 notch)

LEVEL 16 (front spring attached to #5 notch, and the rear spring attached to #6 notch)

LEVEL 15 (both springs attached to #5 notches)

LEVEL 14 (front spring attached to #5 notch, and the rear spring attached to #4 notch)

LEVEL 13 (front spring attached to #4 notch, and the rear spring attached to #5 notch)

LEVEL 12 (both springs attached to #4 notches)

LEVEL 11 (front spring attached to #4 notch, and the rear spring attached to #3 notch)

LEVEL 10 (front spring attached to #3 notch, and the rear spring attached to #4 notch)

LEVEL 9 (both springs attached to #3 notches)

LEVEL 8 (front spring attached to #3 notch, and the rear spring attached to #2 notch)

LEVEL 7 (front spring attached to #2 notch, and the rear spring attached to #3 notch)

LEVEL 6 (both springs attached to #2 notches)

LEVEL 5 (front spring attached to #2 notch, and the rear spring attached to #1 notch)

LEVEL 4 (front spring attached to #1 notch, and the rear spring attached to #2 notch)

LEVEL 3 (both springs attached to #1 notches)

The spring levels with a Orange spring are;

LEVEL 22 (both springs attached to #8 notches)

LEVEL 21 (front spring attached to #8 notch, and the rear spring attached to #7 notch)

LEVEL 20 (front spring attached to #7 notch, and the rear spring attached to #8 notch)

LEVEL 19 (both springs attached to #7 notches)

LEVEL 18 (front spring attached to #7 notch, and the rear spring attached to #6 notch)

LEVEL 17 (front spring attached to #6 notch, and the rear spring attached to #7 notch)

LEVEL 16 (both springs attached to #6 notches)

LEVEL 15 (front spring attached to #6 notch, and the rear spring attached to #5 notch)

LEVEL 14 (front spring attached to #5 notch, and the rear spring attached to #6 notch)

LEVEL 13 (both springs attached to #5 notches)

LEVEL 12 (front spring attached to #5 notch, and the rear spring attached to #4 notch)

LEVEL 11 (front spring attached to #4 notch, and the rear spring attached to #5 notch)

LEVEL 10 (both springs attached to #4 notches)

LEVEL 9 (front spring attached to #4 notch, and the rear spring attached to #3 notch)

LEVEL 8 (front spring attached to #3 notch, and the rear spring attached to #4 notch)

LEVEL 7 (both springs attached to #3 notches)

LEVEL 6 (front spring attached to #3 notch, and the rear spring attached to #2 notch)

LEVEL 5 (front spring attached to #2 notch, and the rear spring attached to #3 notch)

LEVEL 4 (both springs attached to #2 notches)

LEVEL 3 (front spring attached to #2 notch, and the rear spring attached to #1 notch)

LEVEL 2 (front spring attached to #1 notch, and the rear spring attached to #2 notch)

LEVEL 1 (both springs attached to #1 notches)

Scoring

Reverse strongman scoring is used in all the individual promoters contests, where you will score the positions with 1 point for 1st place, and gaining an extra point for each position, ie. 5th = 5 points, 15th = 15 points.

(Re. The Reverse Strongman scoring system. For those who haven’t used this system, it’s very easy. But in the event of 2 or more athletes sitting with the same score in any of the events, these points would be split. Example, 2 athletes in 7th position, would have 7.5pts each, and of course the 9th position would be next. If there was 3 in the 10th position, they would have 11pts each. I hope this makes it clear.)

For the overall contest; once I have all the results in, I will work out these positions.

The points system for the Overall is

1st = 200 2nd = 120 3rd = 72 4th = 36 5th = 18 6th = 9 7th = 4.5 8th = 4.25 9th = 4 10th = 3.75 11th = 3.5 12th = 3.25 13th = 3 14th = 2.75 15th = 2.5 16th = 2.25 17th = 2 18th = 1.75 19th = 1.5 20th and other places = 1.25

1.24 for 21, 1.23 for 22 etc. One hundredth of a point off for each position after 20th.

So if someone wins all 4 legs they will have 800pts.

If someone in the final top 3 has the same points, then I will use the countback method by seeing who has the best positions. This is what they use in strongman contests.

Results

The results should be sent to me on the day of the contest and no later, so that I can type up the overall results as soon as possible and get this up on the forum the next morning.

At the end of the 4 legs, the overall scores will be compiled to find the overall rankings and winner. The trophies and medals will then be sent out to the winners.

I figured this would be a bunch of Anglocentric events. No thanks, but good luck Eric.

You have a decent 2hp, and you are certified for bending and gripper closing. What do you want, a headstart?

Further to that, what does the land of the free do that we should include to tempt you're palate?

Eric,

will it be the same events at each leg? I know that the 2HP will be in all but, I was wondering if the other events would rotate?

Brent

I figured this would be a bunch of Anglocentric events. No thanks, but good luck Eric.

Pinch and grippers aren't anglocentric... cluck, cluck

I think what you mean here Rex is the English (England) origin of

the implements. Euro Pinch Device, Vulcan, and Wrist Developer.

I see nothing wrong with the contest but it would be difficult to train

for the events if you don't own the implements.

By that rationale a powerlifting comp where Eleiko equipment was used could be considered to favour our Scandinavian brothers? whistling.gif

I see nothing wrong with the contest but it would be difficult to train

for the events if you don't own the implements.

It's possible to train for all events without owning the implements.

2HP you can train with plates and a bar, or knock something up yourself.

Vulcan you just train with any gripper of your choice, the set is just a little more difficult

Wrist Developer, you just need to train with sledge levers, plate curls, bending metal to get strong wrists.

I think the events are pretty good, and at the end of the day somebody has to create the implements and if all the items come from the same batch then there is no objections of someone closing a #3 and people saying another #3 in Australia was easier or what not.

Nice use of the adjective there!

Respect to David, Eric and everyone involved for organising the bunch of events.

Best of luck to all!

OK - Rex is out. Now who's in?

If an American grip guy, Richard Sorin, e.g. created a contest like this with events that required Sorinex equipment, the English laddies on this forum would be raising Cain. Whether the islanders have the balls to admit that, though, is another question entirely.

You mean like mighty mitts?

I live in england, I don't own a europinch or a wrist developer, so I improvise - like a lot of the other guys do. If you have confidence in your strength then things like this are minutae.

I'll be there. although I'm not sure which venue.

brent

If an American grip guy, Richard Sorin, e.g. created a contest like this with events that required Sorinex equipment, the English laddies on this forum would be raising Cain. Whether the islanders have the balls to admit that, though, is another question entirely.

I suspect the English laddies on this forum find this all a bit silly.

I see that the events will be the same for each leg. good enough.

Brent

brent

One of Eric's maybe? or were you thinking somewhere else?

brent

I'll probably drive the 4 hours to chris's instead of the 24 to erics. but, my crazy texas aunt is on my ass to come down. so, maybe.

Cain's long dead, let him stay buried. You have grippers and access to a Euro pinch because some have been made in the US of A. A wrist developer (I do not own one) does the same as bending of steel - a HUGE fave in the US.

I'm sure Rex is just throwing out a hook to see if anyone bites. It wouldn't be the first time.

Seriously though I think that the events have been chosen more to to with things that could be easily standardized than anything else, obviously for an event such as this its obviously extremely important there are no equipment variances.

I cant really see the issue with the pinch or gripper and I would have thought with all the steel benders in the US the wrist developer which is basically a reverse bending machine would appeal (I think its guys in the US who will probably win this event)

Me and Kevin will attend the Fort Worth venue.

Sorry, I'm confused (not the first time tongue.gif )

The results should be sent to me on the day of the contest and no later.

Can you do the events at home, on the proper day, and send in proof? Or you have to travel to Ft. Worth on one of the 4 dates listed?

Sorry, I'm confused (not the first time tongue.gif )

The results should be sent to me on the day of the contest and no later.

Can you do the events at home, on the proper day, and send in proof? Or you have to travel to Ft. Worth on one of the 4 dates listed?

This was a direct reprint of the info the promoters of the event got from David Horne. There will be several venues like the Ft. Worth one around the US and Europe all doing the same events, same equipment, same day one each of the 4 dates listed. We will be having them in Tucson as well for example. So you would have to travel to an actual approved venue.

- Aaron

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this for sure I'm in.

• 1 month later...

brent

I'll probably drive the 4 hours to chris's instead of the 24 to erics. but, my crazy texas aunt is on my ass to come down. so, maybe.

She still on your ass? ... you could stay at my house ...

She still on your ass? ... you could stay at my house ...

yes. however, a woman at work just had some kind of back injury and time off will be a rarety for me for the next several months. however, Mary Ann and I are planning to try and make it down there for a comp as soon as possible.