Coc#3 Cert In 2010

Malice

Paul re-certed under the credit card rule last weekend, he makes it look sooo easy.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Jörmungandr

• daniel reinard

• Cannon

Paul re-certed under the credit card rule last weekend, he makes it look sooo easy.

That's how I visualize the 3 closing every time I grab it. One day this year it'll actually close it like that for my cert :mosher

It was kinda hard to tell from the video, but did he manage to close the #3!!wink.gif

Congrats Paul!!!!

I'm not sure if what he did to that poor thing could be considered simply "closing" hahaha.

Very cool :cool

Did he (by any chance) take a shot at the 3.5 at the same time? shifty.gif

I see Mr. Wynn stomping around back there too--I'm thinking he probably got the #3 cert out of the way too!

I just got back from my cousins house and got a huge surprise when I was there. I've been training her 13 year old son in MMA and he asked me if I'd start showing him some lifting so he can start getting bigger and stronger. Well I happened to have the #2 in the car and he asked what it was so I showed him how to set it thinking he'll never get close to closing it. Surprise, surprise...he damn near closed it first try! I'd say out of 5 attempts his worst was about 1/8" away from closing.

Anyway, I showed him a full body workout he can do 3 times a week to get started and tonight he's coming over to spend the night and challenge me to a PS3 marathon and I'm going to show him the gripper workout I was doing when I started and let him borrow a couple to train with. He wants to cert on the #3 now so hopefully we'll have another teen getting certed sometime in the near future. He's 6'4" at 13 years old and has huge mitts so I'm thinking if he continues training grip he can be a monster.

Very cool cool.gif

I see Mr. Wynn stomping around back there too--I'm thinking he probably got the #3 cert out of the way too!

Thanks

... Matt I may be going for the 3.5 this weekend if everything goes right

www.ironmind.com

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Jun/Paul_Knight_Re-Certifies_on_the_No._3_Captains_of_Crush_Gripper.html

Today's my birthday and my goal was to try and get a solid close with the 2.5 on video. Well I couldn't get a ccs close with it today but I did manage 2 choked closes in 10 attempts which is still more than I've ever done since I've only closed it once before this so it's still a good day. I'm sure the vid of the 2.5 will be within the next 2 weeks.

Very cool cool.gif

Thanks

... Matt I may be going for the 3.5 this weekend if everything goes right

www.ironmind.com

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Jun/Paul_Knight_Re-Certifies_on_the_No._3_Captains_of_Crush_Gripper.html

Congrats !! Good luck with the 3.5 !

I woke up this morning (Tuesday) and my hands were real stiff and a bit sore from the combination of a tough gripper workout on Sunday and deadlifts on Monday so I decided I would give them a break and not do a grip workout today. Then I got out of bed, tripped on the wife's stupid cat and slipped and busted the back of my head open on the corner of the bed frame. From there the day didn't really get any better but my hands didn't hurt anymore...possibly cuz my head hurt so bad it's all I could think about :cry I decided to grab the 2.5 on the way out the door to work and boy am I glad I did. After tonight's workout it made the whole day end up a good one after all. In 14 attempts I managed 9 solid closes righty with 3 of them grinding the handles Kinney style and 3 solid closes lefty! These were with a slightly more than parallel set. If it goes like all the other times I've conquered a gripper by getting at least half the attempts as full closes I should be closing it at will by this time next week. I'm excited to finally be at this point with this thing cuz it was a brick for me when I started grippers 3 months ago. I couldn't even close it close to parallel. It was surprising too cuz on Sunday's workout with the same gripper and same set I didn't get a single close. When I got home and put the 2.5 back on the display stand I think I saw a bead of sweat running down the #3...it must know it's azz is mine muahahahahaha

Good job Man ! Keep up the hard work !!

Hope your head feels better. I've always hated cats !!

Know how to make a cat sound like a dog? Pour two liters of gasoline on it, light a match and it goes VOOOFF!

Making a dog sound like a cat then? Eight hours in the freezer and then use a bandsaw and it goes MMMIAAAAUUUU!

Another great grip workout today. I decided to start working the Blob again so did 10 negatives before work which pretty much smoked my hands. At work I did another MMS workout with the 2.5 and this time got full closes on all 10 attempts righty and 7 lefty even though my hands were already fatigued from the Blob workout. After the gripper workout was done I gave the #3 a squeeze and got to about parallel lefty (I knew as soon as I started squeezing it wasn't going anywhere) and between 3/8"-1/2" from closing righty. I'm very happy with the righty squeeze with the #3 considering my hands were fried and I still set a PR with it.

Had an awesome gripper workout tonight! It's the 1st one using the #3 and I have the handles choked down to 1" at the bottom which is a little wider than parallel. Even after doing a heavy Blob50 workout earlier I was still able to close it to within 3/16" on every attempt. The best was 1/8" and I know this cuz I had little blocks of wood at different widths and on the 2 best closes I pinched the wood between the handles. This was all done righty as I bruised 2 knuckles on my left hand this weekend and I can't even squeeze the trainer lefty right now.

Very nice Malice.

Personally I've taken it a bit easy for a while. I only do grippers every third day now and I've started focusing on getting stronger wrists. Wrists is probably my weakest point at the moment.

But hey, I can close my 16mm BBM consistently:).. And I must say I do prefer Tettings grippers over Ironminds.

Very nice Malice.

Personally I've taken it a bit easy for a while. I only do grippers every third day now and I've started focusing on getting stronger wrists. Wrists is probably my weakest point at the moment.

But hey, I can close my 16mm BBM consistently:).. And I must say I do prefer Tettings grippers over Ironminds.

I really like the more aggressive knurling on the Tettings when using grippers above the #2. With the CoC's above #2 I need to use chalk until my hands are strong enough to dominate them which is inconvenient since I do the majority of my gripper workouts at work. With the Tettings, however no chalk is needed.

I was happy when I could close the #2 at will but my first real sense of accomplishment came when I could dominate my 5/16" handle BBM. The final close on that bad boy took a bit of work and was painful.

I wish good luck to all of you guys aiming for that certification.

I wish good luck to all of you guys aiming for that certification.

Thanks Teemu!

Kiitos paljon Teemu.

Had some good workouts lately.. Getting more and more organized and diversed in my training. Just have to make sure I build a better strength base in my lower arms especially.

Damn.. Why didn't I start training earlier? The more I work out the more I realise how unfit I actually am.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized I haven't updated anything here in a while. So here's where I'm at right now. In the last month I've closed my 2.5, which Cannon just calibrated at 132, two BBSM's and finally my Atom Gripz triple band. I've also managed level 12 MMS and level 11 CCS on the Vulcan. Cannon also calibrated my #3 at 153 and said it has a tough sweep. I was fairly close to closing it MMS before sending it out and have gained a little strength since I couldn't close the triple band at all then and now I can kill it righty so I'm looking forward to getting back into the mix with the #3. I feel like I'm well on track to getting certed this year.

I just realized I haven't updated anything here in a while. So here's where I'm at right now. In the last month I've closed my 2.5, which Cannon just calibrated at 132, two BBSM's and finally my Atom Gripz triple band. I've also managed level 12 MMS and level 11 CCS on the Vulcan. Cannon also calibrated my #3 at 153 and said it has a tough sweep. I was fairly close to closing it MMS before sending it out and have gained a little strength since I couldn't close the triple band at all then and now I can kill it righty so I'm looking forward to getting back into the mix with the #3. I feel like I'm well on track to getting certed this year.

Russ, had you closed that 2.5 with a CCS or MMS? Were you getting close to the #3 MMS or is that CCS too?

Russ, had you closed that 2.5 with a CCS or MMS? Were you getting close to the #3 MMS or is that CCS too?

Matt, I can close the 2.5 CCS and am getting close to closing the #3 MMS and have a little bit further CCS.

First workout with the #3 in a couple weeks last night and got to about 1/16" MMS and a bit over 1/2" CCS. It's the closest so far and I'm real happy about it.

First workout with the #3 in a couple weeks last night and got to about 1/16" MMS and a bit over 1/2" CCS. It's the closest so far and I'm real happy about it.

Very nice work Russ!