• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Jörmungandr

• daniel reinard

• Cannon

Hey guys a goal of mine is now to close a #3. First tried a COC couple weeks a go at a strongman comp, closed #2 5reps right hand 3reps left.

Bit of background. 19yo budding powerlifting+strongman competitor, work construction absolute newb when it comes to grip training, anyone able to point me in the irection of a good basic gripper programme?

You could try RRBT but I'm not sure how that would affect your powerlifting since I haven't tried the program yet.

What I did when I started using grippers was 5x5 on three non-consecutive days a week. I did this because I felt it would be good for getting the hands used to being worked and would still allow me to develop some strength, which it did pretty well. I did it for a couple weeks but I think doing it for at least a month would've been better. Then again I'm still pretty much a noob too since I've only been doing grip specific stuff for a little over a month and a half.

Nice!!! You're getting real close mosher.gif

Thanks! It is a different story to actually insert the card, but my training has my sweep gaining all the time. Getting closer :D

a 68kg #3

I think it was just over a 2" choke. My gripper strength has gone to pot after hitting thickbar and am lucky to close it MMS at the mo...this WILL change!cool.gif

Auto, I just started adding RT twice a week to my routines. Since my primary goal is to cert on the #3 do you think I should stop working the RT or cut it back to once a week until I do?

Auto, I just started adding RT twice a week to my routines. Since my primary goal is to cert on the #3 do you think I should stop working the RT or cut it back to once a week until I do?

IMO, don't stop. You'll need the overall benefit you'll receive from working RT. Translates well to sweep strength eventually. If you were already closing a #3 some sort of set, my advice might be different. I would maybe only recommend kicking thick bar in the final weeks prior to a possible certification just to be sure you're "on."

IMO, don't stop. You'll need the overall benefit you'll receive from working RT. Translates well to sweep strength eventually. If you were already closing a #3 some sort of set, my advice might be different. I would maybe only recommend kicking thick bar in the final weeks prior to a possible certification just to be sure you're "on."

Wot Matt said.

It might not hit you so hard. Also my loss on grippers at the mo should see me springboard once I start reaping the strength gains from the thickbar work. :)

This is an awesome thread. After having closed the #2 CoC recently, I also made it my goal to Cert on the #3 this year. I just started RRTB and will move on to KTA after. This thread is giving me some doubt on whether I will be able to actually cert, but regardless I will be closing a #3 before the year is over. That is my goal.

This is an awesome thread. After having closed the #2 CoC recently, I also made it my goal to Cert on the #3 this year. I just started RRTB and will move on to KTA after. This thread is giving me some doubt on whether I will be able to actually cert, but regardless I will be closing a #3 before the year is over. That is my goal.

Why is it causing doubt that you'll be able to close the 3? I've progressed pretty far since this thread started and have no doubt I'll close and cert on the 3 this year. The couple times I've felt discouraged I just went back through this thread and looked at where I was 2 weeks ago or even back when it started about a month ago at how I could barely close the 2 and now I'm smashing it for 8 reps and can barely see light between the handles on the 2.5. And I haven't even tried KTA yet.

If I'm not closing the 3 at least MMS in 2 months I'm going to do KTA and KNOW I'll be killing the 3 when it's over so certing the 3 for me is a given providing I don't get injured. I've heard good things about RRBT and KTA so I think you're on a good track to certing. I set my actual goal to close the BBE this year and am training for that so the #3 cert is more a stepping stone for that...kind of insurance that when I get close to closing the 3 CCS I don't get lazy :whistel

One reason I started this thread is so those with the goal of certing on the 3 could post their progress and training tips as well and use it as a kind of PR log so they can look back at it and see their progress. I know it's done wonders for me so far since I don't have a training log here yet. It's worked so well for me that I started a similar thread for lifting the Blob50.

Malice, I made it my goal to cert on the #3 this year, but after reading this thread it seems like you have to be able to close the #3.5 before going to cert. I am definitely going to close the #3 this year, but whether the programs I will do will be enough to close a #3.5 before this year is up we shall see. I guess we still have a good amount of time so I am hoping I can.

Malice, I made it my goal to cert on the #3 this year, but after reading this thread it seems like you have to be able to close the #3.5 before going to cert. I am definitely going to close the #3 this year, but whether the programs I will do will be enough to close a #3.5 before this year is up we shall see. I guess we still have a good amount of time so I am hoping I can.

Not the case!!! Stop thinking like that right now!

In order to cert on the #3, you have to be able to close the #3. My CCS max is approaching my MMS max rather quickly.

Thanks Cannon. The Rrbt program is moving along smoothly. We'll see where I'm at in 2-3 months.

Not the case!!! Stop thinking like that right now!

In order to cert on the #3, you have to be able to close the #3. My CCS max is approaching my MMS max rather quickly.

I have had a thread for over two years in the training forum. I have probably been as obssessed as anyone to get certified. It is an individual pursuit, but it is definitely not easy nor automatic. Believing that you will do it is an important part of it. I have not posted in here, as I admire the positive thinking that I read here, and don't want to contaminate that enthusiasm with my long road approach.

There have been a number of posters over the years that very convincingly have people believing that X pounds MMS equals .85X CCS (or whatever significant number), which is where the 3.5 MMS equals 3.0 CCS seems to come from. This is something that varies from person to person, and I agree with Cannon. I don't think my CCS is more than 5 pounds below my MMS. That is mainly because I don't have a MMS! In my training log, I refer to two kinds of sets: CCS and HG. HG stands for Hubgeezer, and it is about 1 5/8ths of an inch. It started out at about 2 1/2 inches in 1998, was down to about 2 inches in 2004, then it leveled out at 1 5/8ths of an inch. Some nights, I am closer to closing my Super 3 with a CCS than my HG set.

I dont' believe that "Anyone" can close the Number 3. But if Somebody, after less than one year of training, can close the Number 2, they are not "Anyone" and have the ability to close the 3. You are Somebody!

Keep up the effort!

HG

I think I'm the one who wrote that here. The reason i did was not to discourage anyone. It's just that, like with anything strength related, you have highs and sometimes lows. If you are at a low during the cert you will not get it if your max is closing the 3 with a CCS no matter how much positive thinking you have. And yeah you will say that your gonna plan it perfectly and whatnot but you cant predict it that perfectly. You may also get a pretty hard 3, then what?...now that my max is a 3.5, i can always close the 3 even on bad days and i'm pretty sure i could always close just about any new 3 as well. However...this is not the case with my 3.5...you see what i'm saying? I don't want to discourage, this is just my opinion and i thought it could be a useful bit of info in order to be sure you get it on the first try.

I wish you all the best.

I think I'm the one who wrote that here. The reason i did was not to discourage anyone. It's just that, like with anything strength related, you have highs and sometimes lows. If you are at a low during the cert...

I wish you all the best.

I don't think I was thinking of your saying it, as I believe I have seen it said a number of times.

Tell me about it. I am not sure if anyone has ever had TWO failed certifications (other than me). Witness on the first was R Strossen. Witness on the second was R. Sorin. In June 2008, it was one-half of one millimeter off, and I would put it on the RGC at 155. My son still swears it was closed. My brother has a photo of my last attempt where it is closed, but my hand was resting on my thigh, so it was technically being braced. In June 2009 I was a mile off on a 154 (I own that gripper and it has been calibrated, it was 1/8th of an inch off, which is a mile with grippers). Not sure when I will try again, as I am not ready right now.

But no matter what happens NEVER GET DISCOURAGED. Train smarter.

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement guys! I don't feel like I am being discouraged at all. It makes sense that I should be above #3 strength before I try to cert on one. I didn't know about the different variables that were involved in cert'ing before reading this thread. I will keep working 100% til I get the #3 cert, whether its this year or the next. All I was saying is that it might take longer than this year because I wasn't aware of the different tolerances in grippers, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

HOOOOAAAAH!

The Midgaard Snake is still going strong even tho I took a bit of a break from training so I could celebrate my brother, myself and focus a bit on my knifemaking.

At the moment my focus is on my choked #2 which I snap shut with relative ease. Haven't given the #2,5 a serious try for a while... But I got a good feeling and can't wait for the coming attempt! Maybe it's time to purchase some Warren Tetting grippers tho? Seems like their knurling is more evil than the horns of a Devil.

...Keep on spitting blood my brothers in pain...

HOOOOAAAAH!

The Midgaard Snake is still going strong even tho I took a bit of a break from training so I could celebrate my brother, myself and focus a bit on my knifemaking.

At the moment my focus is on my choked #2 which I snap shut with relative ease. Haven't given the #2,5 a serious try for a while... But I got a good feeling and can't wait for the coming attempt! Maybe it's time to purchase some Warren Tetting grippers tho? Seems like their knurling is more evil than the horns of a Devil.

...Keep on spitting blood my brothers in pain...

I definitely like the Tetting's better when it comes to the heavier grippers. Once I started using the CoC's above #2 I had to start using chalk or they would slip. With the Tetting's I don't need chalk...which is good since my gripper workouts are mainly done at work.

I took the #1.5, 2 and 2.5 in to work last night cuz a couple people were asking about them and wanted to try some out. Of course I ended up picking up the 2 and managed to get 20 reps lefty and 18 righty. That beats last weeks PR by 9 reps. I still wasn't able to close the 2.5 but it was closer than I've been so far with it. I don't know where all this freakish grip strength has come from the last couple weeks to set all these PR's but I'm liking it.

That's a huge jump on reps!

Yeah it surprised me that's for sure. I'm not complaining though :mosher

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to close the 2.5 last night in my warmup! The handles BARELY touched and I couldn't do it again but I finally closed that bastard! It's been dogging me for close to a month now. My birthday is next week and my goal is to get at least one solid close on vid that day.

Great job Malice! I'm proud of you!

The #2,5 is still giving me grief.. Still got about 8mms or so left to close it. Which makes me feel a bit weak when I see videos of people like Paul Knight, Tommy Heslep and Teemu Ilvesniemi..

But still I am starting to realise that being able to close a #2 is a rather big thing. I bring my grippers to work, so alot of the timber drivers in my area has tried them and it's far from normal that someone can shut my choked #2. But there has been a couple that TNS closed an unchoked #2 and these guys also did a very respectable effort on my #3 with very poor technique, that's bloody impressive to see.

Great job Malice! I'm proud of you!

The #2,5 is still giving me grief.. Still got about 8mms or so left to close it. Which makes me feel a bit weak when I see videos of people like Paul Knight, Tommy Heslep and Teemu Ilvesniemi..

But still I am starting to realise that being able to close a #2 is a rather big thing. I bring my grippers to work, so alot of the timber drivers in my area has tried them and it's far from normal that someone can shut my choked #2. But there has been a couple that TNS closed an unchoked #2 and these guys also did a very respectable effort on my #3 with very poor technique, that's bloody impressive to see.

Thanks brotha!! I've only found 2 people so far that have closed the #2 on their first try out of about 50ish that I've let try it and shown how to set it. They are also the only 2 people who have closed my 1.5 first try. The #2 is pretty stout for anyone who doesn't work grip/grippers specifically I've found.

Keep pluggin' away on that 2.5 and it'll close. I found the jump from the #2 to the 2.5 much harder than anything up to the #2 so far. I had to rethink my training a bit and found that severe negatives with the #3 and extended handle BBE have made the biggest improvement in my strength so far. When I do the negatives I fight it all the way out to CCS and have noticed that my strength throughout the sweep has gone through the roof. It hurts like crazy and the first few negatives take a while and leave me out of breath but it's worth it. I've also noticed that I need more recovery time so I went down to 2-3 workouts a week instead of 4.