Coc#3 Cert In 2010

Malice

Probably posted this a million times, but MMS stuff gives me the best transfer to TNS and CCS. I may have to qualify this as saying it works well for me as a little guy. Working on wider grippers for MMS set (3" spread plus) gives me enough strength to handle TNS or CCS.

I do think the technique of both, especially the whole credit card deal, needs to be practiced.

Also, depending on your hand size, TNS is an exercise in futility with grippers above a certain spread. This will all depend on the person, but at some point TNS becomes more of a juggling act than a strength feat.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Jörmungandr

• daniel reinard

• Cannon

Just got back from Home Depot and picked up some clamps for thumb work and a long handled 8lb sledge for levering to try and strengthen my wrists. It's a light sledge but I can only get about 1/3 of the way down the handle right now so it'll last me a long time I'm thinking. Time to research the different levering techniques.

gripclamps.jpg

Of course the biggest clamp is easiest and I can rep that with all finger positions. The littlest one I use for thumb and one finger at a time. I can barely move it with my pinkie...lol

Hell, count me in also! I can ccs the Hg 250 in both hands, and am within a 1/4" on the COC #2. I'm following RRBT right now and seeing phenomenal results. I'm going to follow it up with KTA. Lord willing, I'll smash those handles together by the end of the year!

I just got back from doing the Easter thing at my cousins house and nobody in the fam could close the #1.5 I took with me. The closest was my cousin Josh who's been training brazilian jiu jitsu for about 4 years and he got within' 1/4". It just reafirms how tough these things really are to close whenever I start thinking it's easy.

I just got back from doing the Easter thing at my cousins house and nobody in the fam could close the #1.5 I took with me. The closest was my cousin Josh who's been training brazilian jiu jitsu for about 4 years and he got within' 1/4". It just reafirms how tough these things really are to close whenever I start thinking it's easy.

Did you tell them about technique? Very big part of grippers. My mom missed #1 about 2mm when i told how to use them. That was her first time with grippers.

Did you tell them about technique? Very big part of grippers. My mom missed #1 about 2mm when i told how to use them. That was her first time with grippers.

Yup. When I first got them I couldn't close the 1.5 until I learned how to set the gripper properly so I showed them how to set it first.

I decided to start adding wrist curls and reverse curls to my workouts to work on forearm strength thinking this should help a bit with grippers. I haven't done reverse wrist curls in about 15 years and was only able to use 30lbs for 10-12 reps. I forgot how hard these are compared to regular wrist curls which I've been doing consistently since I started lifting again a few months ago. Now it's time for some sledege levering.

Just got back from a buddies house and took some of my CoC's to let him try. He worked construction for like 15 years and used to carry two 5 gallon buckets of water like they were nothing so I figured he could probably easily close the 1.5. Once I showed him how to set the gripper correctly he ended up closing the #2 on his 2nd try and got within 1/8" of closing the 2.5. Of course he's 6'6" tall, close to 325lbs and has hands the size of my head so I figured he'd be able to close the 2.5. He's been out of construction for about 3 years so I bet he would have closed it back then. After seeing him get so close with the 2.5 I tried it myself even though today is supposed to be a rest day and set a PR with it getting within about 1/4" of closing CCS. My best before that was about 3/4" so my training so far in the past couple weeks is paying off big time. I'm hoping in the next month I'll close it and set my sights on the #3.

Got home my #3 today. Tried it and now I realise.. This is going to be crazy tough to close O.O

Got home my #3 today. Tried it and now I realise.. This is going to be crazy tough to close O.O

But think how great it's going to be once those handles touch :rock

Being ready for a COC cert is a big deal, i think you need to really master that gripper to the point that it has outlived it's training usefulness...Like if you were going for a 3 cert, you need to be working on a #3.5 CCS...were the 3 is just a warm up tool of sort.

I totally agree with the previous post. I wouldn't dare go for a COC cert without completely being able to dominate all the 3's I have because you never know, that one they pull out of that new pack may be way harder than the ones you've been training with.

I agree! When I set the goal for #3 cert this year I didn't know about the variation in grippers. Now that the goal is set, though, I'm still going all out for it. Will I make it...who knows. If not then next years goal will be #3 cert but at the least I'll have a vid for MM0 this year. I have the main goal of #3 CCS but have broken that down into several smaller goals of which I'

ve already achieved 2.

I had my best gripper workout yet today. I did 10 attempts with the #2 CCS and all 10 were full closes with 3 or 4 grinding the handles. The first time it closed so easy and ground the handles so hard it hurt my hand a little and I had to check that I had the right gripper. Tomorrow I'm doing a choked #2 workout and if it's as good as today's I'll rest a couple days, max out for reps again on the 1.5 and see how many I can get with the 2. Then I'll either move up to the BBM 5/8" handles or 2.5 depending on how close I get to closing the 2.5. A couple weeks ago I was about 1/2" from closing the 2.5 but I'm much stronger now so we'll see. I feel one step closer to the #3 :mosher

Another awesome gripper workout tonight! I wasn't sure how it would be since I did a RT workout before but my hands felt very strong again. It was supposed to be a choked #2 workout but it was so easy I stepped it up to 3 micro closes per set instead to kick up the intensity. Now I'm going to rest for 2 days and max out on friday. I'll probably step up now to actively focusing on closing the 2.5 since I OWN the #2. I'll file about 1/8" off the handle of the #2 after I max on Friday so I can hit some BTR with it. it's probably time to get serious about working on sledge levering to strengthen my wrists too.

It was and remains the general consensus on the board here that training MMS and only MMS transfers to CCS closes better than training CCS closes.

Really? Is that because the final crush is the most difficult part of the close? So in other words I should just train from a MMS and NOT from a CCS?

Really really. Your hand is creating the most force at the close, the most tension, etc. I can't speak exactly as to why it is better to train MMS because I don't know, I just know it works better than training CCS or TNS closes when the end goal is a bigger gripper close.

I haven't ever focused on CCS training before, but I'd venture to guess that adding in the occasional wider-set training and CCS attempts/closes would be beneficial.

The argument for MMS is basically, "The best way to CCS a #3 is to close a #3.5 with any set."

In other words, if you have the high-end closing power for a harder gripper, an easier gripper will be more managable with a wider set.

So it's not that there is really anything about MMS that carries over to CCS. As Bob mentions (or has mentioned), the strongest MMS guys tend to also be the best at TNS/CCS. Well yeah; look at someone like Teemu. His max MMS is up around #4 closing power--and he can CCS an Elite. And it's not like that was a training strategy, it's just that the Elite became an increasingly easier gripper for him. But not everyone is going to get to that level MMS.

I would guess that most people will need to specifically work on wider sets and improve open-hand strength in order to achieve a #3 CCS close. Luckily, there are lots of ways to do that!

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a 2010 cert attempt as well. My training lately has focused on bringing my wider set strength up to match my MMS. My latest CCS attempt on my #3 was down to about 1/8" with either hand.

I maxed last night when I got home from work at 2am. I closed the #1.5 13 times righty and 12 lefty for an increase of 3 and 2. Closed the #2 twice righty and once lefty. Got to between 1/8"-1/4" righty and about 3/8" lefty with the #2.5. That's a pretty good increase in 2 weeks.

I'm at almost the same place now with the 2.5 that I was at with the 2 two weeks ago so I'm going to step up to using the 2.5 for the same exact workout I used the 2 for since it worked pretty well. When I started using grippers about 5 weeks ago I was lucky to get the 2.5 to parllel so it's nice to see gains like I've had so far. Now progress will probably start slowing since I'm getting into the realm of tougher grippers and that just increases my motivation.

I use CCS when I max but use a combo of CCS, MMS, choked and what I call micro closes (close then only open an inch max and reclose for 3 to 5 reps) and switch them up each workout. I also do a 2-3 second negative on each rep too.

I use CCS when I max but use a combo of CCS, MMS, choked and what I call micro closes (close then only open an inch max and reclose for 3 to 5 reps) and switch them up each workout. I also do a 2-3 second negative on each rep too.

Your definitions seem a little muddled. Your micro reps, if opened up to an inch(25.4mm) are greater than parallel, as parallel is usually 19mm (20mm on RBs...)

Micro reps or clicks are usually around 3-5mm.

...and your "negatives" are overcrushes, you can't do negatives with a gripper you can close...technically I suppose you could do BFNs with a gripper you could ordinarily close but can't because you're at the end of a workout, as a finisher. smile.gif

Your definitions seem a little muddled. Your micro reps, if opened up to an inch(25.4mm) are greater than parallel, as parallel is usually 19mm (20mm on RBs...)

...and your "negatives" are overcrushes, you can't do negatives with a gripper you can close...technically I suppose you could do BFNs with a gripper you could ordinarily close but can't because you're at the end of a workout, as a finisher. smile.gif

I said an inch MAX...the goal is to only let the handles barely open but sometimes they open a little more than I want but never more than an inch. Usually it's only the first release that opens close to an inch and the others I manage to let the handles barely open. This is the only workout done with a gripper that I can close without a "bump" therefore it's the only time overcrushes are done as I overcrush on each rep before releasing.

As for negatives...every time the gripper opens in your hand it's a negative movement. It's just the severity of the negative that changes depending on how difficult the gripper is in relation to your strength. However, 3 of 4 gripper workouts for me each week are done with a gripper I can't close (at least not 100% of the time) so I still get decent work on the negative.

Here's basically what my workouts are like. I just started using the 2.5 which I'm about 1/8" or so from closing but I can close the #2 at will...finally. I do between 10-12 sets total each workout. This is what I used with the #2 and in 2 weeks went from closing it maybe 4 of 12 attempts to closing it 65 of 65 attempts last night at work.

Monday-CCS with #2.5 with a bump closed and 3 second negative

Tuesday-choked #2.5 with a bump closed and a 3 second negative

Wednesday-rest

Thursday-MMS with #2.5 and a bump closed and a 3 second negative

Friday-micro closes with overcrush x 3-5 reps with #2

I said an inch MAX...the goal is to only let the handles barely open but sometimes they open a little more than I want but never more than an inch. Usually it's only the first release that opens close to an inch and the others I manage to let the handles barely open. This is the only workout done with a gripper that I can close without a "bump" therefore it's the only time overcrushes are done as I overcrush on each rep before releasing.

As for negatives... every time the gripper opens in your hand it's a negative movement . It's just the severity of the negative that changes depending on how difficult the gripper is in relation to your strength. However, 3 of 4 gripper workouts for me each week are done with a gripper I can't close (at least not 100% of the time) so I still get decent work on the negative.

Here's basically what my workouts are like. I just started using the 2.5 which I'm about 1/8" or so from closing but I can close the #2 at will...finally. I do between 10-12 sets total each workout. This is what I used with the #2 and in 2 weeks went from closing it maybe 4 of 12 attempts to closing it 65 of 65 attempts last night at work.

Monday-CCS with #2.5 with a bump closed and 3 second negative

Tuesday-choked #2.5 with a bump closed and a 3 second negative

Wednesday-rest

Thursday-MMS with #2.5 and a bump closed and a 3 second negative

Friday-micro closes with overcrush x 3-5 reps with #2

Here again I think you are getting confused between eccentric and negative. Closing a gripper is the concentric phase, letting the gripper open is the eccentric phase. Only when the eccentric phase is more than your one rep max does it become a negative.

So, a 2-3 second eccentric or if you like an open, but not a negative! ;)

I know you know what you mean, it just helps if we all do! ;)

Nice work by the way! buttrock.gif

I do a 2-3 second open on a gripper I can't close without a bump so that is more than my 1 rep max.

• 2 weeks later...

I set a new PR on Saturday of closing teh 5/8" BBM. It was supposed to be a rest day so I just planned on doing a set of 10 with the trainer and #1 for active recovery snd for some reason decided to pick up the BBM and it closed for the 1st time ever! Of course that turned into a full workout with it and I ended up getting 4 full CCS closes in 10 attempts.

When I first got grippers I thought everyone who had a bunch of the in between grippers were nuts but now I'm looking for as many between level grippers as I can find cuz the little tiny stepping stones are definitely keeping the excitement high. I was going to get an RB180 from GSS but they're sold out for now so instead picked up a FBBC 2x and 3x. Impulse shop much? Hahaha.

So how's everyone else coming on their road to the 3?

Hey guys a goal of mine is now to close a #3. First tried a COC couple weeks a go at a strongman comp, closed #2 5reps right hand 3reps left.

Bit of background. 19yo budding powerlifting+strongman competitor, work construction absolute newb when it comes to grip training, anyone able to point me in the irection of a good basic gripper programme?